PDA

View Full Version : Sooners Rank Among Nation’s Best in Academics

Jay C. Upchurch
6/12/2013, 09:25 AM
NORMAN -- The NCAA released 2011-12 Academic Progress Rate results for member institutions on Tuesday. The University of Oklahoma once again ranked among the top schools in the nation in terms of academic performance.

The APR scale serves as a real-time measure of student-athlete academic progress, retention and timely graduation of all NCAA Division I institutions. All sport programs at OU earned a multi-year (four-year average) APR score above the minimum 930 after the 2011-12 academic year. The OU women's indoor and outdoor track programs earned a perfect 1,000 multi-year APR, an achievement that puts those programs among the top 10 percent nationally.

In addition, during the 2012-13 academic year OU student-athletes earned a cumulative GPA of over 3.00 in both the fall (3.03) and spring (3.01) semesters for the first time. That average 3.02 cumulative GPA is the highest on record for an academic year for OU Athletics.
“These numbers simply confirm the tremendous commitment that our student-athletes at the University of Oklahoma have made to achieve success in the classroom,” said OU Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics and Director of Athletics, Joe Castiglione. “Under the leadership of President David L. Boren, the University of Oklahoma has earned a well-deserved national reputation for academic excellence. Our student-athletes, coaches and support staff have worked very hard to uphold that standard.”

During the 2011-12 academic year, the Sooners boasted 10 different programs with a perfect 1,000 annual APR score, tying with Texas with the top total in the Big 12: Women’s indoor and outdoor track, men’s basketball, men’s golf, men’s tennis, women's gymnastics, softball, women’s golf, women's tennis and volleyball all earned a 1,000 annual APR score in 2011-12. The latest report marks the fourth consecutive year that all OU Athletics programs have finished above the NCAA minimum APR threshold.

OU Football once again exceeded the national FBS average, producing a 960 multi-year APR to place the Sooners third among Big 12 institutions behind only Baylor and TCU, who both registered a 962. Men’s basketball registered a 960 multi-year average to also exceed the national average.

The Oklahoma women’s basketball program recorded a 984 multi-year APR in 2011-12, a figure that was only slightly behind the Big 12-best mark of 990 posted by Kansas State. Like football and men’s basketball, the Sooners were well above the national average for Division I women’s basketball programs. Meanwhile, Oklahoma’s baseball squad registered a 958 multi-year APR for 2011-12, a figure that ranked fourth among Big 12 squads.

Earlier this year, a record 151 current and former Sooner student-athletes received their diplomas as members of the Class of 2013. That group featured a department-record three student-athletes finished their undergraduate careers with perfect 4.0 GPAs - football's Gabe Ikard (multidisciplinary studies) as well as Jacy Bennett (supply chain management) and Cassandra Ogan (music-voice) from track & field. Those 151 Oklahoma student-athletes graduated with 36 different majors and will have completed seven different graduate programs, ranging from advertising to supply chain management to adult education and public health.

OU SID REPORT

tycat947
6/12/2013, 12:46 PM
Glad to hear! I want to be as successful in the classroom as much as on the field, court, diamond, whatever!

prrriiide
6/13/2013, 06:49 AM
OU Football once again exceeded the national FBS average, producing a 960 multi-year APR to place the Sooners third among Big 12 institutions behind only Baylor and TCU, who both registered a 962.

Wait...I thought texass academics were only eclipsed by MIT and Harvard.

Another texass line of BS debunked.

Herr Scholz
6/13/2013, 09:40 AM
Wait...I thought texass academics were only eclipsed by MIT and Harvard.

Another texass line of BS debunked.

Umm, UT is a prestigious school and we have kids ineligible to play due to academic suspension every year because they have to earn it down here. I never hear about OU players being academically ineligible. Why is that? This APR report could very well denote an easy academic program devoid of rigor. Nebraska never had a problem graduating kids either and those guys could barely read. I think your analysis of this report is a complete whiff.

olevetonahill
6/13/2013, 09:43 AM
Umm, UT is a prestigious school and
we have kids ineligible to play due to academic suspension every year because they have to earn it down here. I never hear about OU players being academically ineligible. Why is that? This APR report could very well denote an easy academic program devoid of rigor. Nebraska never had a problem graduating kids either and those guys could barely read. I think your analysis of this report is a complete whiff.

Prolly cause OUs Kids are Smarter.

REDREX
6/13/2013, 10:05 AM
I would rather lead the Nation in Rushing

badger
6/13/2013, 10:09 AM
because they have to earn it down here

You mean every UT student-athlete from the state is in the top 10 percent of his or her graduating class, just like the rest of your student body? Wow, no wonder you guys can't win much lately :mack:

REDREX
6/13/2013, 10:21 AM
Umm, UT is a prestigious school and we have kids ineligible to play due to academic suspension every year because they have to earn it down here. I never hear about OU players being academically ineligible. Why is that? This APR report could very well denote an easy academic program devoid of rigor. Nebraska never had a problem graduating kids either and those guys could barely read. I think your analysis of this report is a complete whiff.---- Vince Young has a degree from UT ---- we know what a deep thinker he is

thecrimsoncrusader
6/13/2013, 10:27 AM
Umm, UT is a pretentious school and we have kids eligible to play due to academic fraud every year because they don't have to earn it down here. I've heard of OU players being academically ineligible such as Lendy Holmes, because Oklahoma doesn't engage in academic fraud. Vince Young says hello BTW.

I have to agree with Herr Schlong on this one.

Herr Scholz
6/13/2013, 10:33 AM
You mean every UT student-athlete from the state is in the top 10 percent of his or her graduating class, just like the rest of your student body? Wow, no wonder you guys can't win much lately :mack:
No and I never said that. Allowances are certainly made for athletes and I'm sure some football players gain entrance to UT who otherwise wouldn't have been able. I'm just saying that they have to earn their degrees once here as evidenced by the frequent ineligibility issues we face on a yearly basis. Having a nice graduation rate of athletes doesn't necessarily represent a great academic school as the poster above was intimating. In fact, the exact opposite could be the case when universities actually have academic integrity and don't let their players coast.

Herr Scholz
6/13/2013, 10:34 AM
---- Vince Young has a degree from UT ---- we know what a deep thinker he is

He worked hard to gain his education degree, your hate of him notwithstanding. He was the 1st in his family to graduate from college.

Herr Scholz
6/13/2013, 10:36 AM
Oh, Lendy Holmes. You came up with 1 name during Stoops' entire tenure whereas we deal with it every year. Yes, this certainly blows my argument out of the water, crimson. And to my recollection, he only missed a bowl game too, not an entire season either.

badger
6/13/2013, 10:39 AM
No and I never said that.

It's called a joke, like what has become of your major sports programs.

At least recruit some Rhodes Scholars or National Merit (oh wait, you guys eliminated that program... well, just get some 36 ACTs then?) to your teams so you can have some real academic smack. You all are beyond ever having athletic smack ever again.

At least you athletic department, its losing coaches and merchandising peddlers are getting wealthy off your mediocrity.

REDREX
6/13/2013, 10:44 AM
He worked hard to gain his education degree, your hate of him notwithstanding. He was the 1st in his family to graduate from college.----I don't hate him I am glad he beat USC---- I am sure his degree will be a big help to him as he works his way out of his financial problems

Herr Scholz
6/13/2013, 10:49 AM
You all are beyond ever having athletic smack ever again.

Really? Because currently we're still the last Big XII football team to both win it all as well as play for it all. That doesn't even include the future. That's now.

Yes, our big 3 sports are down right now but we're still winning national titles in the lesser sports and we do still have 1 football and 2 baseball titles in the past decade as well, ALL more recent than you. And we eclipse you in both total Big XII titles as well as national titles in all sports so I guess you're talking about the big 3? But UT will be back in these 3 when we get some new blood in there after 2014 when Dodds leaves.

thecrimsoncrusader
6/13/2013, 10:54 AM
Oh, Lendy Holmes. You came up with 1 name during Stoops' entire tenure whereas we deal with it every year. Yes, this certainly blows my argument out of the water, crimson. And to my recollection, he only missed a bowl game too, not an entire season either.

You said that "you never hear". Well, now you have, so I addressed your point.

badger
6/13/2013, 10:58 AM
we're still the last Big XII football team to both win it all as well as play for it all.

Miami was also the last in the Big East with that distinction. They can cling to that as their revolving door of coaches and Shapiro issues linger over them.

As for the eclipsing in all sports things for nat'l and conference titles, *yawn* we hear that from Poke a lot too. They also now beat you in everything that matters. Even our little brother can kick your arse annually in football. Wow.

Herr Scholz
6/13/2013, 11:26 AM
You said that "you never hear". Well, now you have, so I addressed your point.
Stoops has been there, what, 15 years? And your 1 guy who missed 1 bowl game makes your point? OK.

Who was the CB recently that got caught cheating two years in a row and never missed a down for the OU football team? Yeah, real academic integrity going on up there. It's not a glorified juco football factory at all.

Herr Scholz
6/13/2013, 11:29 AM
Even our little brother can kick your arse annually in football. Wow.
OK, so we're just making stuff up now. Got it. Umm, they've won 2 of the past 15 games against us and you might want to recheck who has current scoreboard in that matchup. Our total record against OSU is 23-4.

badger
6/13/2013, 11:33 AM
Oh yeah, you managed to beat them last year. Thanks for that, btw. The meltdown on OP was wonderful afterwards :stunned:

Also, thank you for injecting some offseason life into this dead board. We need more resident opposing fans back here to tell us how sh!tty OU is occasionally to get posters fired up :D

I personally love it when you guys suck, because your boards tend to meltdown better than any others (although West Virginia's couch igniting one is a very fun read). Plus, as a Longhorn Network subscriber (Uverse forced it on us), I'd rather watch your postgame funeral marches than your postgame celebrations

thecrimsoncrusader
6/13/2013, 11:44 AM

P.S.: Londell Taylor (last season) makes two names.

olevetonahill
6/13/2013, 12:26 PM
He worked hard to gain his education degree, your hate of him notwithstanding. He was the 1st in his family to graduate from college.

And Kindergarten, And 1st Grade, And well you see where im going.

sooner_born_1960
6/13/2013, 12:33 PM
Vince Young would work hard to count his toes. Hard work doesn't make it degree worthy.

diverdog
6/13/2013, 12:39 PM
Oh yeah, you managed to beat them last year. Thanks for that, btw. The meltdown on OP was wonderful afterwards :stunned:

Also, thank you for injecting some offseason life into this dead board. We need more resident opposing fans back here to tell us how sh!tty OU is occasionally to get posters fired up :D

I personally love it when you guys suck, because your boards tend to meltdown better than any others (although West Virginia's couch igniting one is a very fun read). Plus, as a Longhorn Network subscriber (Uverse forced it on us), I'd rather watch your postgame funeral marches than your postgame celebrations

Damn, for girl you can bring the smack.

Note to self....Don't mess with Badger.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/13/2013, 12:48 PM
So herr schlitz would have us believe there are no jock degrees at ut and all their athletes are pre-med and mechanical engineering students.

Herr did you go out and feed your unicorn today? If you haven't yet be careful because the dragons are bad today.

badger
6/13/2013, 12:56 PM
Damn, for girl you can bring the smack.

Note to self....Don't mess with Badger.

Internet makes smack talk easy. So does beating Texas in everything every year. So does the fact that Texas Internet fans can't stand to lose (or win by mediocre margins) ever.

You seem fairly new here, so let me introduce you to a feature I started here a few years ago that I brought to basketball last season: Meltdowns. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?175345-College-basketball-meltdowns-2013) See how often Texas is mentioned? Yeah, they lose (it) a lot.

Herr Scholz
6/13/2013, 02:42 PM
Oh yeah, you managed to beat them last year.
Yes, as well as 22/26 of the other times we've played them. So your "OSU kicks your *** every year in football" statement doesn't really add up now does it. Thanks for the lesson in solid smack talk.

Herr Scholz
6/13/2013, 02:44 PM
P.S.: Londell Taylor (last season) makes two names.
Never heard of him. You made that name up. Who was your perenially cheating CB who kept getting kicked out of school and managed to never miss a down of football btw? You might as well put a football on that diploma of yours up there.

thecrimsoncrusader
6/13/2013, 02:53 PM
Never heard of him. You made that name up. Who was your perenially cheating CB who kept getting kicked out of school and managed to never miss a down of football btw? You might as well put a football on that diploma of yours up there.

Londell says "Hi.": http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/londell_taylor_842828.html

Perennially cheating CB?

CobraKai
6/17/2013, 03:11 PM

It is great that he stuck with it and got his degree. He would have had to almost double his first Wonderlic score to be considered literate. I'm not trying to be funny. According the the Wonderlic organization a score of 10 represents the literacy line. As you know he scored a 6 the first time. While it is very commendable that VY stuck with it and graduated, it is a black eye on the school that a man that is quite possibly severely mentally handicapped was able to achieve a degree. It would be like OSU fans bragging that Dexter Manley stuck with it and got his degree from OSU.

KantoSooner
6/17/2013, 03:31 PM
It is great that he stuck with it and got his degree. He would have had to almost double his first Wonderlic score to be considered literate. I'm not trying to be funny. According the the Wonderlic organization a score of 10 represents the literacy line. As you know he scored a 6 the first time. While it is very commendable that VY stuck with it and graduated, it is a black eye on the school that a man that is quite possibly severely mentally handicapped was able to achieve a degree. It would be like OSU fans bragging that Dexter Manley stuck with it and got his degree from OSU.

Hard, but fair.

And 'Radio' is a cruel, but fitting nickname.

I just hope he has a minder for whatever money he hasn't squandered on shiny thing and the family can get him on some nice tranquilizers and hand him off to a wife/mother/nurse to care for him for the balance of his days. Maybe they can get a puppy for him to play with.