PDA

View Full Version : Excellent read on Stoops

8timechamps
6/11/2013, 06:08 PM
Check out this Sporting News article on Bob. LINK (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-06-11/bob-stoops-oklahoma-expectations-national-championships-barry-switzer?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

I think it does a really good job of conveying the position that Bob is in right now. The bottom line is that Stoops won too early in his career at OU (thus setting the bar extremely high). This is one of the best articles I've seen as it pertains to the state of our head coach.

FirstandGoal
6/11/2013, 07:55 PM
Nice! Thanks for the link

hvhurricane
6/11/2013, 08:05 PM
Kevin Sumlin pretty much called him out for being the coach too long. That was an interesting quote. If Bob is too stubourn to change his ways then he will not be competing for the NC any time soon. Bowing up because he won a NC a decade ago will not work any longer. This article does nothing but give examples of how BS has done a 180 since becoming the head coach. BS of '99 wouldn't talk about how they couldn't beat A&M because they had such a great offense. He would have been pissed and made them walk back home after the '99 game. Does everyone remember in '99 when we played poorly at TT? The plane was having trouble, and he was pissed about the performance, and made them bus back home. He can spin it any way he wants, but it is pretty simple. He hasn't shown the passion for the job he had early in his career. And if it doesn't come back, it doesn't matter how many people he fires, they will not win another NC.

MyT Oklahoma
6/11/2013, 10:16 PM
I saw this earlier today and it is an interesting read.

MichiganSooner
6/12/2013, 09:56 AM
Does everyone remember in '99 when we played poorly at TT? The plane was having trouble, and he was pissed about the performance, and made them bus back home.

I don't recall this but I bet the players and coaches are happy they got back home safely when a plane was having trouble. Bus or no bus.

MichiganSooner
6/12/2013, 10:08 AM
Tell the truth. Are sooner fans sad that Bob won a national title "too early"? Do you want to put a coat of paint over 2000 on the back of the scoreboard? Jamaal was an All American "in the early 2000's". The writer of the article makes it seem like he was on the team that won the MNC in Miami in 2000. Instead, he was on 2 of the teams that lost national title games including getting blown out by USC. This is a fine article for a negative fan with an agenda.

oudanny
6/12/2013, 10:17 AM
I think some take Bob and winning for granted. Maybe they have forgotten the Blake years.

cleller
6/12/2013, 10:21 AM
Tell the truth. Are sooner fans sad that Bob won a national title "too early"?

I was pretty darn happy sitting in the stands while that clocked ticked down in Jan 2001. Never forget it.

badger
6/12/2013, 10:25 AM
Tell the truth. Are sooner fans sad that Bob won a national title "too early"?
I would have loved to witness it, but sadly, didn't move to Oklahoma till summer 2001 and didn't start attending OU till fall 2001.

8timechamps
6/12/2013, 08:01 PM
Tell the truth. Are sooner fans sad that Bob won a national title "too early"? Do you want to put a coat of paint over 2000 on the back of the scoreboard? Jamaal was an All American "in the early 2000's". The writer of the article makes it seem like he was on the team that won the MNC in Miami in 2000. Instead, he was on 2 of the teams that lost national title games including getting blown out by USC. This is a fine article for a negative fan with an agenda.

I thought it was an excellent article, and if you think I'm a "negative fan with an agenda", then you haven't read any of my posts. Ever. I may be one of the bigger sunshine pumpers on this site.

I thought the article did a very good job of looking at the issue from both sides, then telling it like it is. There are two camps that Sooner fans belong in, one is the "we are appreciative of what Bob has done, and he can stay as long as he wants" (for the record, that's the camp I am firmly a member), then there is the "He hasn't done anything in over a decade, either he wins it all soon, or he needs to go". The middle-ground (or the reality) is that Bob set the bar high early, and he's had to fight that since 2000 (like the article says, the clock started ticking the minute the game ended).

If you read more into the article, so be it. I didn't.

olevetonahill
6/12/2013, 09:03 PM
The average Oklahoma Sooner Fan is a spoiled baby

8timechamps
6/12/2013, 09:39 PM
The average Oklahoma Sooner Fan is a spoiled baby

That's a lot of the online fans. Most of the people I know, and talk Sooner football with (off of the internet) have similar expectations to mine.

olevetonahill
6/12/2013, 09:44 PM
That's a lot of the online fans. Most of the people I know, and talk Sooner football with (off of the internet) have similar expectations to mine.

Heh, I EXPECT a MNC every season. Dont get POed when we fall short tho,

hvhurricane
6/12/2013, 10:21 PM
There is a difference between expecting a NC championship every year and expecting OU to be able to compete against A&M for four quarters. And Kevin Sumlin pretty much called him out for staying too long at OU. You think that story isn't being told to recruits? Like it or not, that is what is being said nationally about OU.

C&CDean
6/13/2013, 08:48 AM
There is a difference between expecting a NC championship every year and expecting OU to be able to compete against A&M for four quarters. And Kevin Sumlin pretty much called him out for staying too long at OU. You think that story isn't being told to recruits? Like it or not, that is what is being said nationally about OU.

You really are one big ****ing ray of sunshine, ain't ya? Sheez.

Sumlin is a great coach. I respect him very much. He whooped Stoops' *** mano y mano last year. That's good for him. However, IDGAF what his opinion is on Stoops' tenure at OU. **** him on that count.

cherokeebrewer
6/13/2013, 09:37 AM
I've been a lifelong Sooner fan. I remember a conversation with my wife right after Bob Stoops was hired. All I knew about him was his great job as a DC at KSU & Florida. I asked only for one more National Championship before I die. That 2000 team was magical, they refused to lose and found a way to win. None of the 'experts' gave that team much of a chance to win that night in the Orange Bowl but once again they refused to lose. I am forever grateful to Coach Bob Stoops...

HateTheWhorns
6/13/2013, 10:19 AM
Stoops path thus far is not all too different than Switzers was towards the end of his coaching career at OU.

Switzer wins NCs in Yrs 2 & 3. While there was not a national championship game during his years, he did have several seasons come down to critical games that were lost (and should not have been) and cost OU more NCs. 1977 - Arkansas, 1978 - Nebraska, 1984 Washington. In effect, you could say Switzer was 2 -3 in opportunities to win the NC before winning #3 in his 13th season. Don't forget, there was a growing concern about the direction of the OU program and Switzers level of commitment during the 1981-1983 seasons. Switzer came under some heat, made some staff changes, rededicated himself to recruiting, and by 1984 the team showed signs of returning to dominance. At the end of the day, Switzer won 3 NCs and had the potential to win 5 more (assuming we beat UM in 1986 and 1987).

I see Stoops being at the same stage that Switzer was at during his 1981-1983 stretch and believe he can make the changes necessary to return OU to dominance.

thecrimsoncrusader
6/13/2013, 11:00 AM
Everything was fine until Coach Stoops started to have to replace assistants and didn't replace them with good as assistants as his initial assistants. That's when the decisive losses started happening. The timeline was in step with when Mike Stoops left and Brent Venables took over.

Sure, Oklahoma got smoked last season in the 2nd half against ATM, but let's see what happens after Mike Stoops and the addition of Coach Montgomery makes adjustments and "hopefully" improves Oklahoma's recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. Same goes for Coach Bedenbaugh on the offensive side of the ball in regards to the offensive line.

I think the move to a mobile QB and Mike Stoops being back and bringing in Coach Montgomery will change everything....in a really great way.

EatLeadCommie
6/13/2013, 12:21 PM
Bob is not the kind of guy who is going to give the naysayers any rope to hang him with. He never has been and never will be. Actions speak louder than words in his case, and I think the fact that he made moves to bring in fresh faces speaks volumes, even if it was a few years late for a lot of us. I'm just happy that he did that much. He can continue to be smug and bellicose all he wants if he starts being Big Game Bob once more

starclassic tama
6/13/2013, 01:42 PM
it also takes big balls to stay at the same place for as long as he has been at OU. guys like sumlin, saban, meyer are all great coaches no doubt about that. but how many of them have sustained success at any one place for more than a few years? much more difficult than flying by night in my opinion.

8timechamps
6/13/2013, 09:31 PM
I'm not putting Sumlin in the same category as Stoops, Saban & Meyer just yet. He did good things at Houston, and had ONE decent year at A&M (let's not forget they didn't even make a BCS bowl). I think a lot of us overlook the fact that A&M wasn't an undefeated juggernaut. They were the hottest team in the country at the end of the year, but as we all know well, repeating success is what make you a great coach. That chapter is far from being written about Sumlin.

olevetonahill
6/13/2013, 09:48 PM
I'm not putting Sumlin in the same category as Stoops, Saban & Meyer just yet. He did good things at Houston, and had ONE decent year at A&M (let's not forget they didn't even make a BCS bowl). I think a lot of us overlook the fact that A&M wasn't an undefeated juggernaut. They were the hottest team in the country at the end of the year, but as we all know well, repeating success is what make you a great coach. That chapter is far from being written about Sumlin.

YUP.
Who is he to say HOW long Bob should stay?

hvhurricane
6/13/2013, 11:27 PM
In the article, Stoops says he "doesn't listen to fools." He then preceded to invite Spencer Tillman to talk to the team in the Spring. Obviously, he does listen to "fools" sometimes.

SoonerBBall
6/14/2013, 09:49 AM
Let's also not forget that Sumlin basically lucked into his all-everything quarterback. A&M had no idea what they had for half the season. It wasn't like Sumlin took over, installed his own players, and started crushing immediately. They were on track for a very average season before the sudden, incredible emergence of Johnny.

C&CDean
6/14/2013, 10:27 AM
In the article, Stoops says he "doesn't listen to fools." He then preceded to invite Spencer Tillman to talk to the team in the Spring. Obviously, he does listen to "fools" sometimes.

So now Tillman's a fool? He's intelligent, articulate, and a Sooner. WTF is wrong with you?

8timechamps
6/14/2013, 04:28 PM

Huh? There have been some guys come through the program that deserve that label, Tillman is not one of them.