Frank Leahy
Nick Saban
Bear Bryant
Bud Wilkinson
Barry Switzer
John McKay
Knute Rockne
Tom Osborne

Those are the top 8, in order. If Saban wins another title, he moves to #1 on my list. The remaining 2 on the list I can't say, but they would come from the following:

Ara Parsegian
Duffy Dougherty
Bill McCartney
Urban Meyer
Darrell Royal
Joe Paterno
Woody Hayes
Bob Devaney
Bill Snyder
Wallace Wade
Glenn(Pop) Warner
Fielding Yost

picasso
6/11/2013, 07:55 AM
Pop Warner.

Fraggle145
6/11/2013, 07:58 AM
A few more potential candidates:
Vince Dooley
Steve Spurrier
Pete Carroll
R.R. Neyland
Phil Fulmer
Red Blaik
Bobby Bowden
John Gagliardi (granted not FBS)
Pop Warner

Lott's Bandana
6/11/2013, 08:09 AM
Gotta put Eddie Robinson in there somewhere.

KantoSooner
6/11/2013, 08:48 AM
Snyder should be higher

MichiganSooner
6/11/2013, 12:26 PM
BO.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/11/2013, 01:15 PM
Gotta put Eddie Robinson in there somewhere.I also left off Amos Alonzo Stagg.

The top group all had at least 3 NC's. Woody Hayes had a stellar record, but only 2 NC's. I haven't researched Robinson nor Stagg.

Salt City Sooner
6/11/2013, 02:12 PM
Hayes won 3 NC's ('54, '57, & '68)

sooneron
6/11/2013, 02:14 PM
McCartney? His record was 93-55-5.

Seriously? He shouldn't even have claim to the 1990 MNC thanks to the famous 5th down.

6/11/2013, 02:17 PM
I would have rated Bear Bryant higher than Saban, except for Bryant's unlikeable personality. Bryant and Leahy are the only coaches with 5 NC's, it appears. Of course, the ACTUAL NC's won by the Bear and the Bamers is disputable, and is a can of worms.

I don't know enough bad shiite about Leahy to bedowngrade him, so he is my #1.

6/11/2013, 02:22 PM
McCartney? His record was 93-55-5.

Seriously? He shouldn't even have claim to the 1990 MNC thanks to the famous 5th down.He is Colorado's best all-time coach by a wide margin, and did what Bill Snyder did at K-State. He also beat OU badly, and won a NC, although disputable, as you say.

6/11/2013, 02:23 PM
Hayes won 3 NC's ('54, '57, & '68)Then, maybe he could be #9 or 10.

sooneron
6/11/2013, 02:31 PM
He is Colorado's best all-time coach by a wide margin, and did what Bill Snyder did at K-State. He also beat OU badly, and won a NC, although disputable, as you say.
His record is pedestrian. He only coached 13 seasons. The only reason why I would consider Switzer on the list is the multiple MNCs. Too many people can now say they beat OU badly. Let alone the Gibbs teams...

6/11/2013, 02:42 PM
His record is pedestrian. He only coached 13 seasons. The only reason why I would consider Switzer on the list is the multiple MNCs. Too many people can now say they beat OU badly. Let alone the Gibbs teams...I get it you don't want McCartney there.

6/11/2013, 02:44 PM
Here's the wiki look at college football champions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Di vision_I_FBS

6/11/2013, 03:14 PM
Our 2 OU coaches and Osborne made such high ratings because they got their accomplishments at schools in low population states. The others were coaches of schools with much higher population bases.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
6/11/2013, 04:04 PM
I get it you don't want McCartney there.

McCartney has no reason to even be mentioned. Mack has 1 Title, too.. I don't see him mentioned anywhere.

6/11/2013, 04:13 PM
McCartney has no reason to even be mentioned. Mack has 1 Title, too.. I don't see him mentioned anywhere.Mack's a stinkeroo, but he is good for the Texas U cows. Hey, I threw Darrell Royal into the mix. It took a former Sooner to engineer excellence at gaystin.

6/11/2013, 04:29 PM
Mack has 1 Title, too.. I don't see him mentioned anywhere.That title belongs to Radio, and he wasn't even a paid coach...er, ah,he wasn't paid as a coach.

Sabanball
6/11/2013, 07:07 PM
I would have rated Bear Bryant higher than Saban, except for Bryant's unlikeable personality. Bryant and Leahy are the only coaches with 5 NC's, it appears. Of course, the ACTUAL NC's won by the Bear and the Bamers is disputable, and is a can of worms.

I don't know enough bad shiite about Leahy to bedowngrade him, so he is my #1.

All of Bryant's 5 NC's were awarded by the AP, and he was actually cheated out of winning 3 in a row TWICE-- in 1966 and 1977--which would have rightly given him 7 NC's. Nick is a great coach and may eventually overtake him, but he's not there yet....that being said, an argument can be made that what Nick has accomplished in the last 10 yrs is unmatched, given that he has had to win 4 NC's in a 10 yr period with scholly limitations, when Bryant, Leahy, Switzer, Osborne, etc, could basically sign unlimited amounts of players.

Bo Schembechler? He never even won a NC, and to me that alone would be enough to keep him off the list.

6/11/2013, 07:13 PM
All of Bryant's 5 NC's were awarded by the AP, and he was actually cheated out of winning 3 in a row TWICE-- in 1966 and 1977--which would have rightly given him 7 NC's. Nick is a great coach and may eventually overtake him, but he's not there yet....

Bo Schembechler? He never even won a NC, and though he had a great career he would not be on my top 10 list.Bear Bryant was not a likeable person, but he did the job very well. His personality cost him a couple notches, for me. I never considered Bo Schembechler as top tier. A pretty good coach, yeah, but not A-grade

ashley
6/11/2013, 07:36 PM
Bear Bryant was not a likeable person, but he did the job very well. His personality cost him a couple notches, for me. I never considered Bo Schembechler as top tier. A pretty good coach, yeah, but not A-grade

Bryant was one of the most charming men ever when he needed to be. You are much too young to remember. No top list is complete without Royal and Paterno.
I would put Switzer, Wilkerson, Royal in the top six or seven behind Bryant at first.

6/11/2013, 07:38 PM
Bryant was one of the most charming men ever when he needed to be. You are much too young to remember. No top list is complete without Royal and Paterno.
I would put Switzer, Wilkerson, Royal in the top six or seven behind Bryant at first.You must be a really oldish guy if you think I'm "too young". I have Royal and Paterno, just not in my top 8.

ashley
6/11/2013, 07:53 PM
Any list of the top 8 or 10 should include them.

6/11/2013, 07:59 PM
Any list of my top 8 or 10 would include them.FIFY

(I'm talking all-time list. Not just the 1960's)

ashley
6/11/2013, 08:11 PM
Then the list is not relevant.

MichiganSooner
6/11/2013, 08:11 PM
Bo Schembechler? He never even won a NC, and to me that alone would be enough to keep him off the list.

No, he did not. In fact, many of his teams never went to a bowl game even when undefeated but with one tie. Or despite being ranked in the top 5.
Bo's all time record is 234-65-8. Faster to 200 wins than any coach except Paterno and Osborne. Hayes alltime record is 238-72-10. And he is a lock? Each coach has 13 league titles.

The entire thing is subjective. Amazing that people know who a guy is by just his first name: Bo.

6/11/2013, 08:25 PM
The entire thing is subjective. Amazing that people know who a guy is by just his first name: Bo."Bo" is a great name for fame. Bo Jackson, Bo Diddley, Bo Schembechler. Schembechler's only shortfall was not winning all the marbles. Otherwise, he could easily be in the elites.

picasso
6/11/2013, 09:38 PM
I would put Switzer, Wilkerson, Royal in the top six or seven behind Bryant at first.
The hell is Wilkerson?

sooneron
6/11/2013, 10:26 PM
Bear Bryant was not a likeable person, but he did the job very well. His personality cost him a couple notches, for me. I never considered Bo Schembechler as top tier. A pretty good coach, yeah, but not A-grade
Maybe this should be the Top 10 likable College Coaches of all time.

And if it's likable, that should keep Bill off, as well. Hypocrite to the nth degree. Kicks Sal Aunese off the team then ol Sal is dying... , "Team, we gotta win it for Sal!" :rolleyes: The only thing that should really keep a guy off the list would be a Sandusky like transgression. Yeah, maybe that keeps old Joe off... I dunno. More time needs to pass before the jury re-convenes on him. I don't think Royal was too bad of a guy, but he has the Ws and MNCs to get him in the top ten.

picasso
6/11/2013, 10:43 PM
I dunno. Didn't Sal bang his daughter? I probably woulda throat punched him.

SoonerStormchaser
6/11/2013, 11:58 PM

Phil Fulmer

If it were a Krispy Kreme eating contest list, then yah...otherwise, hell no!

6/11/2013, 11:58 PM
So, Sooneron, is McCartney as objectionable a person as Tebow?

sooneron
6/12/2013, 09:02 AM
So, Sooneron, is McCartney as objectionable a person as Tebow?

Except for seeking out a lot of publicity/grandstanding for jeebus, I don't have issues with Tebow. He's not a coach, though. They should be held to a higher standard than say, 24 year olds.

sooneron
6/12/2013, 09:04 AM
I dunno. Didn't Sal bang his daughter? I probably woulda throat punched him.

Sure, kick him off the team (I have a daughter like you), but then don't go all "win one for Sal" after you've booted him. At that point, that program was DIRTY anyway. Of course, unless it was rape, BM's daughter had a hand in getting knocked up.

6/12/2013, 12:51 PM
"You don't win National Championships-you SCHEDULE them." -Paul(Bear) Bryant

rock on sooner
6/12/2013, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure that Bud shouldn't be #2, only behind Bear. Bud coached
the longest win streak, as well as a 31 game streak, 3 titles, did it with
class, courtesy and integrity in a small population state...

rock on sooner
6/12/2013, 04:22 PM
Hayes doesn't belong, imo, punching out a kid on another team aint cool.

6/12/2013, 05:25 PM
Hayes doesn't belong, imo, punching out a kid on another team aint cool.IMO both he and Bryant had some behavioral problems...but, each had great success.

6/12/2013, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure that Bud shouldn't be #2, only behind Bear. Bud coached
the longest win streak, as well as a 31 game streak, 3 titles, did it with
class, courtesy and integrity in a small population state...He's #1 on my coach appreciation list, for sure.

Sabanball
6/12/2013, 06:03 PM
Kinda surprised that John McKay hasn't been talked about more in this thread. He had some great SC teams and won multiple NC's.

6/12/2013, 06:42 PM
Kinda surprised that John McKay hasn't been talked about more in this thread. He had some great SC teams and won multiple NC's.I'm always glad when a coach like that leaves Usuc. Good thing Pete Carroll is in Seattle now.

sooneron
6/12/2013, 10:11 PM
McKay would definitely be on the cusp for me...
Interesting that there's no mention of Eddie Robinson.

6/12/2013, 11:52 PM
Interesting that there's no mention of Eddie Robinson.McKay won 4 NC's! That's rare air.

Lott's Bandana
6/13/2013, 12:15 AM
Interesting that there's no mention of Eddie Robinson.

But...but...

<raising hand>

6/13/2013, 01:29 AM
But...but...

<raising hand>
Splanation?!

Salt City Sooner
6/13/2013, 06:47 AM
Splanation?!
See the 4th post in the thread.

olevetonahill
6/13/2013, 07:09 AM
Heres Mine
#1 Bud
#2 Barry
#3 Bob
#4 Bennie

5thru 10? Some of them other fellers.

MichiganSooner
6/13/2013, 09:18 AM
Top 25 based on winning percentage. Only among coaches who worked mainly with the largest schools.

Knute Rockne .881
Frank Leahy .864
Doyt Perry .855
Barry Switzer .837
Tom Osborne .836
Urban Meyer .835
Don Coryell .834
Fielding H. Yost .833
Robert Neyland .829
Bud Wilkinson .826
Bob Devaney .806
Clarence Munn .806
Sid Gillman .804
Bob Stoops .801
Henry L. Williams .786
Bear Bryant .780
Bo Schembechler .775
Fred Folsom .773
Fritz Crisler .768
Wallace Wade .765
Frank Kush .764
Gary Patterson .763
Dan McGugin .762
Andy Smith .761
Woody Hayes .759
Earl Blaik .759

6/13/2013, 12:20 PM
Poor Nick Saban and John McKay ain't on that list. Coupla wannabe bums.

6/13/2013, 01:40 PM
Gotta put Eddie Robinson in there somewhere.No Div. 1 NC's. Winning % .707

thecrimsoncrusader
6/13/2013, 01:43 PM
Poor Nick Saban ain't on that list.

I guess they are factoring in character as part of the ranking process.

6/13/2013, 01:51 PM
Eddie Robinson probably would have done well in BigTime college football, but he was restricted in his opportunities back in those days.

Lott's Bandana
6/13/2013, 01:56 PM
If your criteria is D1 NC's, then no. But greatest coach of all time, I think there are many other factors that put him in the conversation.

Your list, RLIMC. I don't have too many disagreements.

6/13/2013, 02:33 PM
If your criteria is D1 NC's, then no. But greatest coach of all time, I think there are many other factors that put Eddie Robinson in the conversation.
I agree he must have been superb, but not being on the big stage makes it very hard to properly assess his accomplishments.

6/13/2013, 05:58 PM
Anyone here been to Grambling State? I was over there in the early 1970's one day. Pretty interesting.

DrZaius
6/13/2013, 06:25 PM
Vince Dooley
Steve Spurrier
Pete Carroll
R.R. Neyland
Phil Fulmer
Red Blaik
Bobby Bowden
John Gagliardi (granted not FBS)
Pop Warner

Vince Dooley...really!

6/14/2013, 01:03 AM
Vince Dooley...really!Frag is from Georgia, if I remember correctly.

sooneron
6/14/2013, 09:43 AM
Bowden deserves to be in the conversation. His record from 87-'00 is crazy good. 2 Titles with a record of: 152-19-1 He's kind of like us in the mid 80's, "if it weren't for miami..."

Free shoes also did not finish outside of the top 5 in that run.

thecrimsoncrusader
6/14/2013, 10:53 AM
Bowden deserves to be in the conversation. His record from 87-'00 is crazy good. 2 Titles with a record of: 152-19-1 He's kind of like us in the mid 80's, "if it weren't for miami..."

Free shoes also did not finish outside of the top 5 in that run.

Of course, a good chunk of that and the 2 NCs didn't happen until Florida St. entered the ACC, which was a run horse race between Florida St. and well...Florida St. There wasn't another legit team/program in that conference. He was a heck of a coach though.

PLaw
6/14/2013, 12:17 PM
I would put Royal in the top 8 instead of Osborn. Granted, Barry ended Royal's career much like Royal ended Bud's. If OU's issues in the late 80's never occurred, then Osborn's career would not have reached the heights they achieved. If's and but's were candy and nuts . . .

Boomer

6/15/2013, 01:12 AM
I would put Royal in the top 8 instead of Osborn. Granted, Barry ended Royal's career much like Royal ended Bud's. If OU's issues in the late 80's never occurred, then Osborn's career would not have reached the heights they achieved. If's and but's were candy and nuts . . .

BoomerSwitzer embarrassed Royal, and Switzer embarrassed Osborne. Osborne won in a low population state, while Royal was the only txcows coach to turn that automatic recruiting base into superb teams. It was therefore a bigger achievement in my mind for Osborne to win 3 without a gimme recruiting situation.

King Crimson
6/15/2013, 01:13 AM
i think McKay deserves more credit than he usually gets....he's remembered mostly for being the Tampa Bay Bucs coach when expansion wasn't a ready to go type thing in pro sports. even with lee roy and dewey, they were dreadful.

Osborne is in imo but Barry did own him and he didn't break through until Colorado hired Neuheusel and we were tanking badly. but, the 95 team was MIGHTY. i would have liked to see Penn St/NU the year PSU had Kerry Collins and Jerevicious (sp) the running back name i forget...kijana carter? and NU got the vote. 98?

probably have to agree with Bowden.

McCartney had a chance but he retired early. CU is bad now, but they were just as bad when Bill took over. they lost to Drake in Boulder two years in a row under Chuck Fairbanks. Drake, who dropped football a year later or something. i don't like the guy much, but had he stayed a half-decade later....they would have contended. Neuheisel won 22 game or something his first two years.....with Mac's top 5 classes.

and Rush: Mac is CU's best coach, but our own Eddie Crowder ain't a million miles away.

Eddie finished #3 in 71 with road wins at top 10 LSU and Ohio State. had some good teams at Colorado. i used to see him at the grocery sometimes....good guy. he passed 5-6 years ago.

6/15/2013, 01:47 AM
...probably have to agree with Bowden.

McCartney had a chance but he retired early. CU is bad now, but they were just as bad when Bill took over.

and Rush: Mac is CU's best coach, but our own Eddie Crowder ain't a million miles away.

Eddie finished #3 in 71 with road wins at top 10 LSU and Ohio State. had some good teams at Colorado. i used to see him at the grocery sometimes....good guy. he passed 5-6 years ago.Bowden was pretty good, in that he began to capture a healthy share of the incredible amount of football talent from the state of FL. But, his teams seemed to fall short of their expectations, especially considering the talent they had. (I didn't think he had 2 titles) I perceived him as having just one, like so many coaches who didn't make my list. I still don't see him as top 10.

I think if McCartney stayed and coached with the same level of skill and application that he had, then he could have had more championships, and could have been a top tier guy.

King Crimson
6/15/2013, 02:18 AM
Bowden was pretty good, in that he began to capture a healthy share of the incredible amount of football talent from the state of FL. But, his teams seemed to fall short of their expectations, especially considering the talent they had. (I didn't think he had 2 titles) I perceived him as having just one, like so many coaches who didn't make my list. I still don't see him as top 10.

possibly, i guess i was thinking more about coaches in my lifetime. i can acknowledge and respect the past....but i don't feel comfortable saying person X is better than person y just because it's nostalgia. that said, one of the most boring things in the world is because the "world is so much better now with technology"....that the old timers can't compare.

because that is NOT what sports is about.

King Crimson
6/15/2013, 02:22 AM
i also have a soft spot in my heart for Bobby because he lost to us 4 times in 4 i think.

6/15/2013, 03:01 AM
i also have a soft spot in my heart for Bobby because he lost to us 4 times in 4 i think.true dat! Woosh we had that kind of record with domer and the usuc's

King Crimson
6/15/2013, 06:27 AM
true dat! Woosh we had that kind of record with domer and the usuc's

i'm not going to look it up exact but i believe the stat goes:

Barry Switzer is 21-6-1 against Joe Paterno, Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, Darryl Royal, Tom Osborne.....Bowden maybe in that group too to complete the stat. again, i'm working from lazy memory here. anyone with a mind to can put this together with a quick trip to soonerstats.com

if i'm not exact, i'm close.

picasso
6/15/2013, 07:49 AM
I think Osborne and Bebraska still become great in the 90's if Switzer wasn't fired. We made them better by beating them so often.

texaspokieokie
6/15/2013, 08:24 AM
I'll take Eddie Crowder over McCartney, maybe only because he's an "Okie from Muskogee" & an OU alum.

6/15/2013, 01:28 PM
I think Osborne and Nebraska still become great in the 90's if Switzer wasn't fired. We made them better by beating them so often.haha. Switzer indeed had the "Sooner Magic".

Someone before posted that Royal got the better of Wilkinson. He did, but, i had read/heard long ago, way back then, that Bud had grown tired of recruiting. (and apparently got lazy and less effective in that regard) IMO that was Bud's downfall, more so than being outcoached on the field.

6/15/2013, 01:32 PM

Barry Switzer is 21-6-1 against Joe Paterno, Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, Darryl Royal, Tom Osborne.....Bowden maybe in that group too to complete the stat. again, i'm working from lazy memory here. anyone with a mind to can put this together with a quick trip to soonerstats.com

if i'm not exact, i'm close.Switzer deserves his ranking, no doubt. I was just saying that OU, as a team, has a VERY ineffective record against domer and usuc.

King Crimson
6/15/2013, 01:34 PM
Switzer deserves his ranking, no doubt. I was just saying that OU, as a team, has a VERY ineffective record against domer and usuc.

i know what you are saying. we are USC's bitch a bit and ND's.

what can you say? we are Oklahoma and we haven't had much success against those *******s. still good to be us.

like i say, rarefied air to complain like we do.

6/15/2013, 01:37 PM
i know what you are saying. we are USC's bitch a bit and ND's.

what can you say? we are Oklahoma and we haven't had much success against those *******s. still good to be us.

like i say, rarefied air to complain like we do.We are Primo #1 to me. Kudos to olevet, huh?!

King Crimson
6/15/2013, 01:46 PM
We are Primo #1 to me. Kudos to olevet, huh?!

always kudos to the great olive on the hill...we are Great Comrades, Leninists to the hilt.....but why exactly in this context? I've missed something.

8timechamps
6/15/2013, 02:00 PM
Maybe this should be the Top 10 likable College Coaches of all time.

And if it's likable, that should keep Bill off, as well. Hypocrite to the nth degree. Kicks Sal Aunese off the team then ol Sal is dying... , "Team, we gotta win it for Sal!" :rolleyes: The only thing that should really keep a guy off the list would be a Sandusky like transgression. Yeah, maybe that keeps old Joe off... I dunno. More time needs to pass before the jury re-convenes on him. I don't think Royal was too bad of a guy, but he has the Ws and MNCs to get him in the top ten.

If he's going to put McCartney on the list, he might as well put Stoops. Seriously, McCartney has no business in a top 10 coaching list. He won 1/2 of a national title, and had to have an extra down at Missouri to do that. I can agree that he's maybe a top 50, but not a top 10.

6/15/2013, 02:01 PM
always kudos to the great olive on the hill...we are Great Comrades, Leninists to the hilt.....but why exactly in this context? I've missed something.post #48

6/15/2013, 02:05 PM
If he's going to put McCartney on the list, he might as well put Stoops. Seriously, McCartney has no business in a top 10 coaching list. He won 1/2 of a national title, and had to have an extra down at Missouri to do that. I can agree that he's maybe a top 50, but not a top 10.I stand by my top 8. it's the other 2 I'm squishy about. McCartney did an impressive job at CU, unlike anyone else, and I believe if he would have stayed, and could deal effectively with the anti-Christians, he could have won more NC's

King Crimson
6/15/2013, 03:01 PM
post #48

well, ok. i get it. he's foolin', goofin'....so are we now.

King Crimson
6/15/2013, 03:05 PM
anyway, there is no way Bill McCartney is anywhere close to being a top 10 college coach of all time.

top 25 to 40th history in the mix. ok.

whatever that means

better than Danny Ford with a MNC but i'd take Darth Snyder to beat him 7 of 10 times even with talent.

McCartney never beat Switzer.

8timechamps
6/15/2013, 04:03 PM
I stand by my top 8. it's the other 2 I'm squishy about. McCartney did an impressive job at CU, unlike anyone else, and I believe if he would have stayed, and could deal effectively with the anti-Christians, he could have won more NC's

If we're ranking coaches based on their ethics, morals, etc. in addition to how they did at their respective schools, then McCartney would be a top 10 guy. If your ranking coaching the way it's traditionally ranked, McCartney is not a top 10 guy.

Seeing how top 10 lists are almost always subjective, there's no way to prove it one way or another.

BigTip
6/15/2013, 06:52 PM
Of the coaches mentioned so far, who would you rank #1 based on doing the most with the least?

The coaches from the powerhouses have always gotten to pick and choose who they want. Mack Brown frequently has "the #1 recruiting class" but can't do crap with it. Alabama, Texaas, Usuck, Michigan, should ALWAYS have a "top" coach because of the pool of talent they pull from should always result in "top" records.

So to me, the great coaches, are the ones that have the second tiered talent but manage to coach their way to success any way.

Bill Snyder.

We don't even have a disparaging name for KSU because they had always been the doormat of the conference. Never felt threatened by them. But here comes Snyder and he makes them relevant. Then he comes back and does it again.

Obviously it had something to do with coaching.

Even though if I was in a bar with y'all I would say what olevetonahill said!

8timechamps
6/15/2013, 09:13 PM
Of the coaches mentioned so far, who would you rank #1 based on doing the most with the least?

The coaches from the powerhouses have always gotten to pick and choose who they want. Mack Brown frequently has "the #1 recruiting class" but can't do crap with it. Alabama, Texaas, Usuck, Michigan, should ALWAYS have a "top" coach because of the pool of talent they pull from should always result in "top" records.

So to me, the great coaches, are the ones that have the second tiered talent but manage to coach their way to success any way.

Bill Snyder.

We don't even have a disparaging name for KSU because they had always been the doormat of the conference. Never felt threatened by them. But here comes Snyder and he makes them relevant. Then he comes back and does it again.

Obviously it had something to do with coaching.

Even though if I was in a bar with y'all I would say what olevetonahill said!

When it's all said and done with Snyder's career, it's going to be really hard for me not to put him at #1. I remember when KSU was an absolute joke, then Snyder built a winner. He leaves, they go back to being a bottom feeder, he comes back and they win again. With all of his success there, they (KSU) still don't pull in amazing recruits, yet he continues to win. I'm not sure a lot of the "great" coaches would be able to do that good in that situation.

6/15/2013, 10:49 PM
When it's all said and done with Snyder's career, it's going to be really hard for me not to put him at #1. I remember when KSU was an absolute joke, then Snyder built a winner. He leaves, they go back to being a bottom feeder, he comes back and they win again. With all of his success there, they (KSU) still don't pull in amazing recruits, yet he continues to win. I'm not sure a lot of the "great" coaches would be able to do that good in that situation.Bud Wilkinson built up OU to a national power after only having only so-so tradition, and the stigma of the Dust Bowl. Switzer did the job too. McCartney would be part of that club, as well. Of course, he quit coaching while young. Phil Knight and T-Boone Pickens have done wonders for their respective programs, and they aren't even coaches. Tom Osborne and Bob Devaney both built nebbish into powerhouses, without an automatic recruiting base. SO, I guess those would be the candidates for doing the most with the least, along with Snyder, of course.

6/16/2013, 01:10 AM
Most with the least is where Bobby Bowden comes into play, as well. Prior to his arrival as coach, FSU wasn't in the national picture, nor was Miami U("the U") prior to Howard Schnellsofbourbon.

BigTip
6/16/2013, 11:47 AM
Bud Wilkinson built up OU to a national power after only having only so-so tradition, and the stigma of the Dust Bowl. Switzer did the job too. McCartney would be part of that club, as well. Of course, he quit coaching while young. Phil Knight and T-Boone Pickens have done wonders for their respective programs, and they aren't even coaches. Tom Osborne and Bob Devaney both built nebbish into powerhouses, without an automatic recruiting base. SO, I guess those would be the candidates for doing the most with the least, along with Snyder, of course.

I'll give you Bud, that's true, but we were a traditional powerhouse when Barry came along. He could go into some kid's living room and say, "You can play for OKLAHOMA." And it means something when one of those coaches from the top schools say that. Even the cornfuskers you mention have that going on. "Come to Nebraska and you could play in the pros." They already had the track record.

I laughed when you mentioned Knight and Pickens. Not because it isn't true, but because it is. You CAN buy success. But that just makes a stronger case for Snyder. No money, in the form of facilities etc, to throw at recruits. No tradition. No NFL pipeline. Second tier talent coached into a winning program. Twice. That "twice" thing is a very compelling argument to me.

texaspokieokie
6/16/2013, 12:08 PM
OU was 22-2 the 2 years before Switzer took over. Of course, although he wasn't HC, he had a lot to do with the 22-2. Probably more than Fairbanks.

6/16/2013, 12:09 PM
I'll give you Bud, that's true, but we were a traditional powerhouse when Barry came along. He could go into some kid's living room and say, "You can play for OKLAHOMA." And it means something when one of those coaches from the top schools say that. Even the cornfuskers you mention have that going on. "Come to Nebraska and you could play in the pros." They already had the track record.

I laughed when you mentioned Knight and Pickens. Not because it isn't true, but because it is. You CAN buy success. But that just makes a stronger case for Snyder. No money, in the form of facilities etc, to throw at recruits. No tradition. No NFL pipeline. Second tier talent coached into a winning program. Twice. That "twice" thing is a very compelling argument to me.Your tradition point on Switzer and Osborne ring true to a point, but both OU and nebbish are state schools without big, ample recruiting bases. They HAVE to go out of state to get enough good players for top quality teams. There is only one national power(tradition) without a built-in recruiting base, and that's domer. You can even make a case for domer having an ample, natural recruiting base, with significant population density in their area, and to some small degree Catholics nationwide.

I'll put Snyder in as #9. The only top 10 coach without a national championship. I MIGHT go with Devaney at #10. Still not certain about that, though.

6/16/2013, 05:11 PM
I'll put Snyder in as #9. The only top 10 coach without a national championship. I MIGHT go with Devaney at #10. Still not certain about that, though.Okay, I'll go with Urban Meyer at #10. The only coach in the top 10 with 2 NC's,

6/16/2013, 05:13 PM
Okay, I'll go with Urban Meyer at #10. The only coach in the top 10 with 2 NC's, Look at what Meyer did with lowly Utah, and then he brought FU to life and won two titles. Undefeated his first year at the bucknuts.

8timechamps
6/16/2013, 05:25 PM
Bud Wilkinson built up OU to a national power after only having only so-so tradition, and the stigma of the Dust Bowl. Switzer did the job too. McCartney would be part of that club, as well. Of course, he quit coaching while young. Phil Knight and T-Boone Pickens have done wonders for their respective programs, and they aren't even coaches. Tom Osborne and Bob Devaney both built nebbish into powerhouses, without an automatic recruiting base. SO, I guess those would be the candidates for doing the most with the least, along with Snyder, of course.

Yep, I was referring more to recent "great" coaches. Could Saban or Meyer take a job at a place like New Mexico and turn them into a constant winner? Not sure we'll ever know, but it's interesting to think about.

Meyer did a good job at Utah, but he wasn't there long enough to know if he could have kept them going.

6/16/2013, 05:36 PM
Who TF is Bo Schembechler? Look at what Fielding Yost did at Michigan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fielding_H._Yost

Dude won 6...of course, he doesn't get rated any higher than he did due to being part of the dark ages of football. Back when there weren't nearly as many programs playing college ball. He's a way back there kind of guy. The longest ago coach to make the top 10. Still, I'm tempted to ask if Saban can beat Fielding Yost's record.

Just 3 more to go Nick...haha

picasso
6/16/2013, 11:51 PM
Sure, kick him off the team (I have a daughter like you), but then don't go all "win one for Sal" after you've booted him. At that point, that program was DIRTY anyway. Of course, unless it was rape, BM's daughter had a hand in getting knocked up.

Well of ciurse the girl had a gand but you and I both know there would be problems.

sooneron
6/17/2013, 08:36 AM
Well, of course!

PLaw
6/17/2013, 08:59 PM
Switzer embarrassed Royal, and Switzer embarrassed Osborne. Osborne won in a low population state, while Royal was the only txcows coach to turn that automatic recruiting base into superb teams. It was therefore a bigger achievement in my mind for Osborne to win 3 without a gimme recruiting situation.

Rush - respectively disagree. Nebbish recruited nationally long before it became cool. I think you are old enough to remember all of the banners from other states supporting the huskers. True, while utex owned the SWC, they also had eight in school programs plus OU and Arky to compete with for those blue chips. Plus, I think it's pretty cool if 3 of the top 8 have OU ties.

BOOMER

6/18/2013, 01:53 AM
Rush - respectively disagree. Nebbish recruited nationally long before it became cool. I think you are old enough to remember all of the banners from other states supporting the huskers. True, while utex owned the SWC, they also had eight in school programs plus OU and Arky to compete with for those blue chips. Plus, I think it's pretty cool if 3 of the top 8 have OU ties.

BOOMERnebs always has had to get players from out of state to compete, just like OU has. But Only Devaney and Osborne had huge success. Also, the txcows have always gotten just about every recruit they went after, even with all the other tx colleges, OU, LosuR, Arks, Nebbish and others recruiting tx. Among all the tx coaches, only OU alum DKR has been able to win big with those bluechip tx recruits, though. I'm not sure exactly what you disagree with.

texaspokieokie
6/18/2013, 08:17 AM
i disagree with the statement that tx "have always gotten just about every recruit they went after". bet they wanted Sims, peterson & many many others.

BigTip
6/18/2013, 10:33 AM
i disagree with the statement that tx "have always gotten just about every recruit they went after". bet they wanted Sims, peterson & many many others.

Sure some slip through the cracks, but I agree that the texass coaches recruiting usually boils down to them pointing and saying, "Yes, we'll take you, and you, and not you sorry, and you."

They are totally losing that huge advantage now, but that's the way it's been. The state of Texas is a huge pool of talent to pull from. Most Texas high school players wanted to go to texass. "Pick me coach! Pick me!"

More respect to our coaches and even nebbish for being able to convince the out of staters to come play in "small markets."

6/18/2013, 01:45 PM
i disagree with the statement that tx "have always gotten JUST ABOUT every recruit they went after". bet they wanted Sims, peterson & many many others.TX every year gets almost all the guys they offer. I didn't say EVERYONE, but most all.

King Crimson
6/22/2013, 08:09 AM
Top 25 based on winning percentage. Only among coaches who worked mainly with the largest schools.

Knute Rockne .881
Frank Leahy .864
Doyt Perry .855
Barry Switzer .837
Tom Osborne .836
Urban Meyer .835
Don Coryell .834
Fielding H. Yost .833
Robert Neyland .829
Bud Wilkinson .826
Bob Devaney .806
Clarence Munn .806
Sid Gillman .804
Bob Stoops .801
Henry L. Williams .786
Bear Bryant .780
Bo Schembechler .775
Fred Folsom .773
Fritz Crisler .768
Wallace Wade .765
Frank Kush .764
Gary Patterson .763
Dan McGugin .762
Andy Smith .761
Woody Hayes .759
Earl Blaik .759

link for this, minimum # of games coached.....? curious.

MichiganSooner
6/22/2013, 08:59 AM

if i'm not exact, i'm close.

Don't know the exact stats. You put Bo in the group. Barry is 1-0 against Bo. Not like they played each other every season.

MichiganSooner
6/22/2013, 09:11 AM
link for this, minimum # of games coached.....? curious.

List is of the college coaches with at least a .750 winning percentage and includes coaches at all levels. You will see Chuck Broyles of Pittsburg State on the list. Leading the list is Larry Kehres of Mount Union College who has won 332 of 359 games in 27 seasons.
I edited the list down to include D1 schools only.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_football_coaches_with_a_.750_winni ng_percentage

King Crimson
6/22/2013, 09:49 AM
Don't know the exact stats. You put Bo in the group. Barry is 1-0 against Bo. Not like they played each other every season.

Switzer is also 1-0 against Woody Hayes and Joe Paterno each.

sure, they only played once....but being 1-0 against em is better than 0-1. and beating Bo and Joe meant two national championships. Not sure what your point is.....but those were pretty significant wins.

King Crimson
6/22/2013, 09:50 AM
List is of the college coaches with at least a .750 winning percentage and includes coaches at all levels. You will see Chuck Broyles of Pittsburg State on the list. Leading the list is Larry Kehres of Mount Union College who has won 332 of 359 games in 27 seasons.
I edited the list down to include D1 schools only.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_football_coaches_with_a_.750_winni ng_percentage

thanks for the clarification my friend...

King Crimson
6/22/2013, 09:53 AM
there was also a time when Barry was left of the College Football HOF....and 21-6-1 or whatever against those HOF coaches.....was serious business. .500 against those guys is serious gravy....means you are their equal. 21-6-1.....wow.

MichiganSooner
6/22/2013, 02:55 PM
Switzer is also 1-0 against Woody Hayes and Joe Paterno each.

sure, they only played once....but being 1-0 against em is better than 0-1. and beating Bo and Joe meant two national championships. Not sure what your point is.....but those were pretty significant wins.
Yes, they were.