PDA

View Full Version : Why I like Bob Stoops!

blacktop
6/9/2013, 11:16 PM
If this has already been posted, I'm sorry. There are so many ways to enjoy yOUr college experience and Daniel Franklin has a good story. One tackle in 5 years, but, a bachelor's and master's degree in hand all on a scholarship. Thank yOU Bob Stoops for keeping yOUr word. Thank yOU Daniel Franklin for representing Oklahoma and Georgia. Good luck in the future. Boomer! http://newsok.com/why-daniel-franklin-counts-coming-to-ou-as-one-of-his-greatest-decisions/article/3843557

olevetonahill
6/9/2013, 11:26 PM
I hadn't seen it yet.Great 1st Post. Kids Like him are the reason OU is successful Coaches like Bob are the reason those Kids are successful. A Saban or mack would have cut him loose.

IGotNoTiming
6/9/2013, 11:58 PM
Boomer

MyT Oklahoma
6/10/2013, 03:35 AM
Thanks for sharing. Great article.

P.S. And way to go Coach Stoops.

cleller
6/10/2013, 07:59 AM
Good to keep those things in the forefront. Doubt the same loyalty runs thru all the big schools.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/10/2013, 08:02 AM
Yep, good thing for him he didn't go to the cut-throat johnny reb conference. saban or miles would have thrown him out on the street so fast he would have gotten whiplash.

Lott's Bandana
6/10/2013, 08:27 AM
On the crawl last night, there was a kid from Florida that signed with the Gators. It said he also had offers from Fla State, Miami, Georgia, South Carolina and Ohio State. Poor Urb keeps trying to harvest from sharecropper dirt.

Sadly, he only needs one or two to dominate his conference and have a high ranking.

badger
6/10/2013, 09:38 AM
It is a very cool story. I remember Sammie had the same career path in mind at one time as a 3-start --- to be able to get a free education and one day attend OU law school after football was over.

Best of luck, Daniel!

SoonerNomad
6/10/2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the link blacktop. Great, great story.

Stories like this should be publicized every time the issue of paying college players comes up. They are getting paid, and the ones that do it the right way have an opportunity to set themselves up for life. The vast majority of college players do not go onto play professional football. Most of them are extending their football lives and receiving an education (that I am still paying for more than 20 years after school).

It is also great to see that Coach Stoops lives up to his commitments. Cutting college players because they underperform is legal but it is not right and Coach Stoops knows that. I don't begrudge schools that do it, I am just glad that the school I root for doesn't.

(And personal note to Dan: If you want to come intern for a judge after your first year of law school get in touch with me. I cannot get you paid, but if your law school has some type of intern for credit program I could have you do some work. I usually have at least one intern each summer. And it is pretty nice out here in northwest Arizona during the summer.)

sooneron
6/10/2013, 03:07 PM
Great read! PrOUd to be a Sooner.

VA Sooner
6/10/2013, 10:32 PM
Good kid, good coach.

Good luck, Daniel!

mainline13
6/11/2013, 11:48 AM
Yep, good thing for him he didn't go to the cut-throat johnny reb conference. saban or miles would have thrown him out on the street so fast he would have gotten whiplash.

I really thought that someone (cough-cough, sabanball) would come in and defend ol' Nick. I gave it more than a full day - but of course, it IS the off-season, so maybe I should have given it a little longer.

Or maybe everyone, including SEC apologists, knows that this is an actual fact. Maybe sabanball really knows, deep down in his heart of hearts, that he does wish that he could be a Sooner fan. I can't figure why he hangs around, otherwise.

badger
6/11/2013, 12:02 PM
There is another SEC way, you know --- if you don't want to outright cut the player loose to fend for himself, you can declare him medically unable to continue playing. Thus, he can finish his schooling, but have to give up football.

blacktop
6/11/2013, 08:50 PM
Just a small follow-up to the original NewsOK article. Daniel's dad (Mike Franklin) added his thoughts in a comment yesterday: "Bob Stoops and Brent Venables are two men of tremendous integrity. I will never forget Bob's visit at our home in Mt. Airy, GA. He was kind...and has proven to be a man of his word. Both he and BV, as we affectionately call Venables, proved to be honest role models for my son. OU was a great choice for Daniel, and I will forever be thankful for his experience. He is a better man due to his five year stint as a Sooner." Boomer!

MyT Oklahoma
6/11/2013, 10:32 PM
Just a small follow-up to the original NewsOK article. Daniel's dad (Mike Franklin) added his thoughts in a comment yesterday: "Bob Stoops and Brent Venables are two men of tremendous integrity. I will never forget Bob's visit at our home in Mt. Airy, GA. He was kind...and has proven to be a man of his word. Both he and BV, as we affectionately call Venables, proved to be honest role models for my son. OU was a great choice for Daniel, and I will forever be thankful for his experience. He is a better man due to his five year stint as a Sooner." Boomer!

Thanks for that update.