PDA

View Full Version : Anybody volunteering for tornado relief?

ouwasp
6/9/2013, 05:47 PM
Going to Moore one day this week with a church group. Not sure what they'll have us doing, but we were told to wear jeans, workboots and to bring gloves... and maybe another shirt for the ride home because we WILL get dirty.

Looking fwd to helping the good folks of Moore. My son went to help in Joplin a couple summers ago, said it was indescribable.

olevetonahill
6/9/2013, 06:04 PM
Good luck.
Tho if you want an INCREDIBLE experience go volunteer for a Day at the Local VA hospital

okiewaker
6/9/2013, 06:28 PM
Went there twice last week to help clean up,, after work since I was already in Moore. Sad deal the crosses that lined the grassy area by the parking lot of the 7-11 that was destroyed. I was shocked at the destruction,,,especially around 119th and Sante Fe. Your help will be greatly appreciated,,whatever help you will be assigned.

FirstandGoal
6/10/2013, 04:53 PM
Make absolutely sure you wear good thick soled boots and that you are current on your tetanus shots.

ouwasp
6/10/2013, 09:37 PM
Make absolutely sure you wear good thick soled boots and that you are current on your tetanus shots.

Thanks. I have some steel-toed boots and a pair of good leather gloves, broken in from other work. I understand "they" will be providing tetanus shots at the site.

Turd_Ferguson
6/10/2013, 09:59 PM
Good luck.
Tho if you want an INCREDIBLE experience go volunteer for a Day at the Local VA hospital

Great idea. I just told the wife to get that set up for the two of us.

Her and the daughter are going to Moore Wednesday to help serve food to all the volunteers.

Midtowner
6/10/2013, 10:07 PM
I've done more volunteer coordination with our local Sigma Nu chapter in getting brothers lined out on where they can help. I also helped draft a press release for our email list to ask for donations from around the country. We've received a HUGE response one brother in Texas sent us 600 pounds of supplies and he's about to send 600 more. Another brother sent us a PALLET of water bottles. We've received just an amazing response from across the country and it's touching. We've had crews come in from chapters as far away as Alabama. We have alums in law enforcement who volunteered to watch for looters. We have an alumnus who's a high muckity muck at the Regional Food Bank who has really had to go above and beyond. I've had a few conversations with our OU chapter's President and they appear to be pretty active too, I imagine not having a house built right now would be a little limiting though. Our OSU chapter has been pretty active in sending guys out as well.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/12/2013, 08:06 PM
Going to Moore one day this week with a church group. Not sure what they'll have us doing, but we were told to wear jeans, workboots and to bring gloves... and maybe another shirt for the ride home because we WILL get dirty.

Looking fwd to helping the good folks of Moore. My son went to help in Joplin a couple summers ago, said it was indescribable.You guys are saints. St. Wasp and St. Sonnywasp.

ouwasp
6/13/2013, 05:20 PM
Tuesday I joined with some men from Claremore FBC. We left at 5:30, met another 5-6 guys from Claremore down at Moore FBC. We were in several vehicles and had a couple of 4-wheelers for hauling brush. We were sent to Purcell, then Mustang, then 3 sites in OKC. We would chainsaw storm-damaged trees/limbs and pile them by the curb. We would spend maybe an hour and a half at each place. I'm not sure how the job assignments were made, but we would always pray with the folks we were serving upon completion of the task. It was a long, hot, and very rewarding day. It was a pleasure to be a witness for our Savior through our efforts. We returned to Claremore about 9:30 that evening. Thanks to Claremore FBC for allowing me to serve with them. :)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/13/2013, 05:40 PM
Tuesday I joined with some men from Claremore FBC. We left at 5:30, met another 5-6 guys from Claremore down at Moore FBC. We were in several vehicles and had a couple of 4-wheelers for hauling brush. We were sent to Purcell, then Mustang, then 3 sites in OKC. We would chainsaw storm-damaged trees/limbs and pile them by the curb. We would spend maybe an hour and a half at each place. I'm not sure how the job assignments were made, but we would always pray with the folks we were serving upon completion of the task. It was a long, hot, and very rewarding day. It was a pleasure to be a witness for our Savior through our efforts. We returned to Claremore about 9:30 that evening. Thanks to Claremore FBC for allowing me to serve with them. :)What, no Christian tyranny? No Terrorism? You guys are slipping.

C&CDean
6/13/2013, 10:53 PM
I volunteered after the 1999 version of the Moore tornado. Burned me completely the **** out. Barbie dolls stuck in fence posts, entire homes gone...but the china cabinet still standing with crystal glasses and plates undamaged. Weird ****.

Now all I do is bitch when I have to drive through Moore and the ****ing morons keep slowing down and ****ing up the traffic. Makes me wanna shoot some ****ers.

olevetonahill
6/13/2013, 10:55 PM
Tuesday I joined with some men from Claremore FBC. We left at 5:30, met another 5-6 guys from Claremore down at Moore FBC. We were in several vehicles and had a couple of 4-wheelers for hauling brush. We were sent to Purcell, then Mustang, then 3 sites in OKC. We would chainsaw storm-damaged trees/limbs and pile them by the curb. We would spend maybe an hour and a half at each place. I'm not sure how the job assignments were made, but we would always pray with the folks we were serving upon completion of the task. It was a long, hot, and very rewarding day. It was a pleasure to be a witness for our Savior through our efforts. We returned to Claremore about 9:30 that evening. Thanks to Claremore FBC for allowing me to serve with them. :)

Good Job Bro.