PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Position Preview: Cornerback/Nickleback

8timechamps
6/8/2013, 06:33 PM
2013 Preview
Unlike the safety position, the corner/nickel positions will have some returning experience. Aaron Colvin has one corner position locked down, and should earn all-conference honors again, and possibly all-American recognition. Gary Simon provided a durable player at nickel back, and would have the inside edge at starting there in 2013, but has left the team.

Here are the Corner/Nickelback’s on the 2013 roster:

#14 - Aaron Colvin (Senior)
Colvin will be the starting right corner for the Sooners in 2013. His size and ability make him a very good blend of zone and man coverage. Moving back to corner from safety in 2012, Colvin led the team in passes broken up with 14. In 2011, while playing safety, Aaron tied for the team lead in tackles (Travis Lewis), and has shown he isn’t afraid to hit. Mel Kiper ranks Colvin the #4 corner in the country entering 2013, but you’d be hard pressed to find another corner with the instinct that Colvin possess.

#26 – Zack Sanchez (Sophomore)
Sanchez earned spot time as a freshman (and avoided a red shirt) due to his athletic ability and coverage skills. Out of high school, Sanchez was considered a better option as a cover 2 corner. The down side of Sanchez’s game early was that he lacked the speed to recover from mistakes, and was a little on the lean side, which made playing in OU’s man coverage a tough proposition. For 2013, Sanchez will have to have developed a lot if he looks to earn a start opposite Colvin. The upside to Sanchez is that he could play the nickel if asked, and in his second year should know the defense better.

#22 – Cortez Johnson (R – Sophomore)
Johnson transferred from Arizona in 2011 where he started two games at Corner as a true freshman, recording 16 tackles (7 in one game, against Washington) and one pass broken up. In the prototypical mold of Mike Stoops cornerbacks, Johnson is a big kid (6’1”, 198lbs), and a very physical player. Coming out of New Orleans, Johnson played basketball as well as football, and is a quick corner for his size. So far this spring, Johnson has been right in the thick of the battle to start opposite Colvin. Mike Stoops seems to be harder on Cortez than any other player in the secondary, which I think comes from being the only DB on the roster that Stoops personally recruited (prior to the arrival of early enrollees).

#23 – Kass Everett (Senior)
After transferring in from the JUCO ranks in 2012 Everett never really saw much playing time outside of special teams. My prediction is more of the same for 2013. Everett was a good special teams player, but may lack the speed to beat out Johnson, Sanchez or some of the incoming freshman to earn a spot on the field.

#2 - Julian Wilson (Sophomore)
Early in 2012 Wilson found a spot on special teams and played well. As the season developed, he showed through practices that he had the ability to contribute on defense and was give opportunity to see some time at nickle. By the end of the season, Wilson was starting to see more time with Gary Simon at the position. Since Simon has departed, it seems only logical that Wilson will move up on the depth chart. Entering his second season under Stoops defense, Wilson should be a better and more consistent player.

No Number - Dakota Austin (Incoming Freshman)
There’s not a lot to tell you about Austin. He was a late addition to the recruiting class (from Lancaster Texas) and kind of came out of nowhere. My prediction is that he’ll end up more of a special teams player, but Mike Stoops must have seen something in him. I suspect he doesn’t see the field in 2013.

No Number – Stanvon Taylor (Incoming Freshman)
Unlike Dakota Austin, Taylor was a highly recruited player out of Tulsa. Taylor chose OU over Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kansas State and several other big programs. One of the things that attracted so much attention to Taylor was his quickness and instinct for the ball. Considered a two-way player coming out of high school, defensive back is considered to be his biggest upside. At 5’11” and 170 lbs, he’s considered on the light side right now, so that could potential prolong his playing time, but once he’s bulked up, he could be a real contender.

No Number – L.J. Moore (Incoming Freshaman)
Moore is considered the best incoming corner back this year. Moore had offers from Notre Dame, Oregon, UCLA, Georgia and plenty others, but connected with Mike Stoops and decided to join teammate Hatari Byrd at OU. Moore could potential push Johnson for a starting spot, but that’s unlikely. What is likely is that Moore earns playing time in 2013. Moore has good height for a CB, and has proven he can play solid press coverage and has the speed to play zone. In high school, Moore played both CB and safety, but barring anything unexpected, he’ll be playing CB in Norman.

Predicted two deep:

CB: Aaron Colvin
Backup*: Kass Everett/Stanvon Taylor

CB: Cortez Johnson
Backup*:L.J. Moore

Nickle: Julian Wilson
Backup: Zack Sanchez

*I'm not including safties as potential back-ups, although that may be the case.

Next up: Defensive End/Defensive Tackle

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/9/2013, 11:50 AM
It seems to me that we are deeper and more experienced here than at safety. I wonder if they'll push one of them over to play free safety just to get them on the field. Personally, I think Akina's method of starting young kids at safety and then pushing them over to corner later is a pretty good idea.

Lott's Bandana
6/9/2013, 12:25 PM
Nickleback makes me throw up in my mouth.

8timechamps
6/9/2013, 12:37 PM
It seems to me that we are deeper and more experienced here than at safety. I wonder if they'll push one of them over to play free safety just to get them on the field. Personally, I think Akina's method of starting young kids at safety and then pushing them over to corner later is a pretty good idea.

Agreed. I wouldn't be too surprised to see one of the new guys given a chance at safety. L.J. Moore could absolutely do it, but I think they really want him at corner after Colvin's gone. Mike Stoops is hitting the recruiting trail hard at safety, he's already got a couple of 2015 kids very interested. It doesn't hurt that Oklahoma is producing quality DBs either.

8timechamps
6/9/2013, 12:38 PM
Nickleback makes me throw up in my mouth.

I think a lot of that has to do with how much the defense depended on the nickle package last year. I'm really hoping this year doesn't require as much play out of the NB. Losing Simon was a hit to the position, but I do think Wilson will prove to be pretty good...after that, it drops off significantly.