PDA

View Full Version : Differences in American English shown on maps

ouwasp
6/7/2013, 11:49 PM
Wisconsin is so odd. But what about that "what do you call it when it rains while the sun is shining?"

http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps-that-show-the-deepest-linguistic-conflicts-in-america-2013-6?op=1

BigTip
6/8/2013, 08:51 AM
That was fun. Thanks.
I disagree with some of them of course, but very interesting nonetheless.

rock on sooner
6/8/2013, 09:47 AM
Wisconsin is so odd. But what about that "what do you call it when it rains while the sun is shining?"

http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps-that-show-the-deepest-linguistic-conflicts-in-america-2013-6?op=1

I always thought it was "The devil is beating his wife. And, for a while I
thought crawdads and crawfish were two different critters....

8timechamps
6/8/2013, 03:33 PM
Saw this earlier in the week, and thought it was pretty interesting.

I've always referred to "soda" as Coke (regardless of the brand), so it was again interesting to see what folks across the country say. I say "again", because there is a pretty big survey somewhere on the web that's been ongoing for years about what people call soda.

olevetonahill
6/8/2013, 03:37 PM
Saw this earlier in the week, and thought it was pretty interesting.

I've always referred to "soda" as Coke (regardless of the brand), so it was again interesting to see what folks across the country say. I say "again", because there is a pretty big survey somewhere on the web that's been ongoing for years about what people call soda.

Marcel Ledbetter called em Knee High Belly washers.

8timechamps
6/8/2013, 04:11 PM
Marcel Ledbetter called em Knee High Belly washers.

I once heard it referred to a tit water. I've heard milk called titty juice, but never heard soda called tit water. I laughed.

olevetonahill
6/8/2013, 04:31 PM
I once heard it referred to a tit water. I've heard milk called titty juice, but never heard soda called tit water. I laughed.

Heh, It was from a Jerry Clower story called beer Joint. Cant find it on You Tube cause some foreign bunch owns the content er sompun. Funny as hell tho

SoonerorLater
6/8/2013, 06:59 PM
If you want to find out what you sound like go to

http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?obj_id=9827

BigTip
6/8/2013, 08:58 PM
"Can you get me a coke?"
"What kind?"
"Dr.Pepper please."

ouwasp
6/8/2013, 10:43 PM
That survey was interesting and fun to take, but I'm not sure I'm buying it. It said I'm American Neutral...I took it again, slightly changing some of the answers that were close. Still said Neutral. I've been told otherwise by folks from elsewhere in our great country.

olevetonahill
6/8/2013, 11:22 PM
That survey was interesting and fun to take, but I'm not sure I'm buying it. It said I'm American Neutral...I took it again, slightly changing some of the answers that were close. Still said Neutral. I've been told otherwise by folks from elsewhere in our great country.

Agreed, It said I was western.
I think the only way to get it right is for some to ask you the questions and listen to you then answer em.

Soonerjeepman
6/9/2013, 10:30 AM
you say crEEk (long e) or crIk (short i) for creek?

olevetonahill
6/9/2013, 11:17 AM
you say crEEk (long e) or crIk (short i) for creek?

Been known to say it both ways. Usualy crEEk tho.

rock on sooner
6/9/2013, 12:40 PM
Been known to say it both ways. Usualy crEEk tho.

Hell, that's what my knees do...creeeeeeek!

8timechamps
6/9/2013, 12:53 PM
Interesting test, but I'm not sure it's that accurate. I grew up in Oklahoma, and have absolutely no accent. My brother (who now lives in California) moved out of state about the same time I did, and he has a definite accent. Weird.

Plexis22
6/9/2013, 07:34 PM
Oddly the maps show NE Oklahoma as "pop" territory whereas the rest of the state is "Coke". I grew up in Tulsa and it was "pop", and only Coke if you were in fact ordering a Coke and then it was usually Regular Coke (as opposed to Diet). Some convenience stores in Tulsa will say Beer - Pop - Cigarettes - Gas.

I married a girl from Duncan and she thought saying pop was strange. She also called a ski cap a toboggan which I thought was odd until I heard someone from Ardmore say the same thing.

Chuck Bao
6/10/2013, 12:43 AM
Interesting test, but I'm not sure it's that accurate. I grew up in Oklahoma, and have absolutely no accent. My brother (who now lives in California) moved out of state about the same time I did, and he has a definite accent. Weird.

Spent 27 years in Asia, or roughly half of my life, and my Okie drawl just naturally comes out after just a few beers. Nothing weird or new about my mouth working faster than my brain.

http://bodyodd.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/07/18827543-hey-yall-why-yous-guys-accents-come-back-when-youre-drinking?lite

Besides that, I am going to go with my first chocie of of the "generic coke" before pop/soda, as well as crawdads in a crEEk (long e) and no explanation for the toboggan reference except that I'm glad that there are others near Ardmore that agree.

KantoSooner
6/10/2013, 09:49 AM
I moved around a lot growing up and as an adult. Weird family voice recordings exist going back to the 1960's. Over the years, my accent has changed probably 4-5 times.
but, as Chuck says, it generally only takes 2-3 beers before I reset to Okie.

badger
6/10/2013, 10:26 AM
I've always referred to "soda" as Coke

As you all may have guessed from my username, I was born and raised in Wisconsin.

I remember our HS Spanish teacher telling us that everyone calls every type of soda a "Coke" regardless of if it's a Coke or not, and everyone thought that was the stupidest thing ever.

I blame the odd expressions on public schools. I know what a "bubbler" is because our 1st grade classroom labeled it as so, but I have called it a "water fountain" as much as possible.

FirstandGoal
6/10/2013, 05:01 PM
I moved around a lot growing up and as an adult. Weird family voice recordings exist going back to the 1960's. Over the years, my accent has changed probably 4-5 times.
but, as Chuck says, it generally only takes 2-3 beers before I reset to Okie.

Same here. I'm more neutral than anything, but get some alcohol in me and it gets bad.
I remember a few years ago I worked a considerable amount of time in Ardmore and it would take 2-3 days after I got back from there to get rid of the extreme accent I would develop over the course of a week.