PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma and Obamacare: A never-ending string of bad news

badger
6/6/2013, 01:30 PM
The latest... (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Report_Thousands_of_uninsured_Oklahomans_will_be_l eft/20130606_17_0_SomeOk226940) (via Tulsa World)

Some 330,000 Oklahomans will be left without insurance after “Obamacare” takes full effect next year, even if the state accepts an controversial expansion of its Medicaid program, researchers from Harvard and City University of New York reported Thursday.

There have been stories on how our local St. John hospital system is going to have layoff many since they are not confident in being paid back for care. There was one earlier this week on someone with cystic fibrosis that cannot afford his $6K per month medicine and due to turning 19, is no longer under Soonercare and since Obamacare doesn't take effect until 2014, he's stuck.

Seriously, what a mess :(

jkjsooner
6/6/2013, 02:08 PM
There was one earlier this week on someone with cystic fibrosis that cannot afford his $6K per month medicine and due to turning 19, is no longer under Soonercare and since Obamacare doesn't take effect until 2014, he's stuck.

How would that be different without Obamacare?

It sounds like at least Obamacare will help people like this in the future.

As for the first article, are we to believe those 330,000 would have had insurance had it not been for Obamacare?

It's one thing to say that Obamacare doesn't do enough but another to use these as arguments for the status quo.

FaninAma
6/6/2013, 02:11 PM
SoonerCare coverage can be extended in
certain clinical cases. Obamacare will dilute
medical resources because 25 to 30 million
new patients will be added to the medicaid
rolls.

The problem now is not lack of medicaid patients
but lack of reimbursement for those patients. Adding
more patients to an already strained system will result
in its ultimate collapse.

badger
6/6/2013, 02:12 PM
How would that be different without Obamacare?

It sounds like at least Obamacare will help people like this in the future.

The existing system worked for some people and some hospitals. The existing system had affordable health insurance options for some people. The existing system, while flawed, was one that people and healthcare providers knew how to work within.

Now that we've signed Obamacare, we still dont' know what's in it. Worse, Obamacare eliminates things that it "doubles up on" in the current system, so for states without exchanges setup (like Oklahoma), those "double up" features, like Medicaid reimbursement, are gone till that exchange is in place. Thus, the St. John system layoffs. Thus, the teen student that can't get SoonerCare nor Medicaid due to age/work.

jkjsooner
6/6/2013, 02:27 PM
I just read the full article. Without Obamacare we had 636,000 uninsured.

So the uninsured will go from 636,000 to 330,000 because of the ACA. It doesn't take a lot of logic to conclude that the only people who can blame the ACA for the 330,000 uninsured are those who think the ACA did not go far enough.

So, again, I'm really confused about what point you're trying to make.

jkjsooner
6/6/2013, 02:29 PM
Thus, the teen student that can't get SoonerCare nor Medicaid due to age/work.

I don't get what you're saying. Please explain how this teen would have had insurance without the ACA.

jkjsooner
6/6/2013, 02:39 PM
Obamacare will dilute
medical resources because 25 to 30 million
new patients will be added to the medicaid
rolls.

The only way our resources can be overwhelmed is if more people are getting necessary medical services. This assumption implies that a subset of our population isn't getting necessary medical services right now.

People talk about rationing medical care but if our resources are going to be overwhelmed after the ACA then you can only conclude that we were rationing medical care before the ACA. We just happened to be rationing it based on one's ability to pay.

I'm not telling anyone how they should feel about this but if medical care become harder to obtain because more people are seeking services, that's not a lose/lose. It might be a negative to you and me and we may disagree with it but clearly that means more people are getting care.

Note: There is one other explanation - that we will lose qualified medical professionals. This would be a lose/lose. I'll believe that when I see it.

FaninAma
6/6/2013, 02:43 PM
Jk, coverage does not equal access. Stretching
strained medicaid resources even more under
Obamacare is a recipe for disaster for those kids
who really and truly need it.

The total catastrophe headed toward medical
system under Obamacare will make even you
progressives take notice.

Just a piece of advice. If you have to go to
an ER or urgent care for care after Obamacare
takes effect just remember to take your sleeping
bags. Waiting times are expected to double or
triple as the newly covered medicaid patients
use their newly gifted free coverage.

badger
6/6/2013, 02:43 PM
Perhaps i'm just letting the overwhelming amount of "whoops, we actually meant..." news about this get to me.

Obamacare is going to insure all of the uninsured. Whoops, we actually meant all except 330K.

Obamacare will cause insurance premiums to go down. Whoops, we actually meant they'll go up.

Note: There is one other explanation - that we will lose qualified medical professionals. This would be a lose/lose. I'll believe that when I see it.

I don't know what positions are targeted for layoffs at St. John, but I think it would be fair to guess that it includes qualified medical professionals. I can see this happening at other hospitals and even general practice offices too, as even rich doctors need money to keep their doors open

Midtowner
6/6/2013, 03:03 PM
The latest... (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Report_Thousands_of_uninsured_Oklahomans_will_be_l eft/20130606_17_0_SomeOk226940) (via Tulsa World)

There have been stories on how our local St. John hospital system is going to have layoff many since they are not confident in being paid back for care. There was one earlier this week on someone with cystic fibrosis that cannot afford his $6K per month medicine and due to turning 19, is no longer under Soonercare and since Obamacare doesn't take effect until 2014, he's stuck.

How would he have been better off under the previous system?

Midtowner
6/6/2013, 03:05 PM

Maybe at first, but if those folks find out they can go to the regular family doc much more easily, they'll start doing that and actually slow down the flow of ER patients.

jkjsooner
6/6/2013, 03:27 PM
I don't know what positions are targeted for layoffs at St. John, but I think it would be fair to guess that it includes qualified medical professionals. I can see this happening at other hospitals and even general practice offices too, as even rich doctors need money to keep their doors open

I meant keep people from going into the fields.

I don't see the cause and effect of ACA and these layoffs. If more people have coverage I don't see how that would result in less demand or more unpaid medical bills. I haven't seen what you're referring to but my guess is that St. John wants to cut staff and sees ACA and a convenient scapegoat.

jkjsooner
6/6/2013, 03:29 PM
Jk, coverage does not equal access. Stretching
strained medicaid resources even more under
Obamacare is a recipe for disaster for those kids
who really and truly need it.

Are you saying that everyone has access now but with the ACA they won't?

Again, if our resources get overwhelmed then it means those without coverage did not have access before.

The only way your argument makes sense is if those who now have coverage will begin going to the doctor for trivial reasons (i.e. reasons that you would not have previously considered as necessary).

The other way, of course, is if there's a brain drain in our medical professions. I don't see a lot of our doctors deciding they can do better in Europe or China or India so I don't see this happening nearly to the extent that some try to argue. At best a few may retire early but plenty have done that the last few decades complaining about having to deal with HMO's.

This is exactly the opposite of what is expected. The flow of people getting routine care at the emergency room is expected to go down.

Midtowner
6/6/2013, 03:29 PM
True. The ACA is going to result in a flood of money going to medicine. Especially with the medicaid coverage being expanded so much. Maybe healthcare will have to restructure a little to be able to deliver services more efficiently in an altered marketplace, but medical providers will continue to make money.

badger
6/6/2013, 03:58 PM
I admit that I don't trust the Obama administration as much as I normally trust the system to work after all of these instances of wtf (IRS, AP, etc). Thus, I wonder which political allies are going to get wealthy over all these changes.

If we see medicine patents suddenly extended to 100 years, it's time to impeach Obama and jail Pfizer

cleller
6/6/2013, 05:36 PM
This is exactly the opposite of what is expected. The flow of people getting routine care at the emergency room is expected to go down.

With the track record of Obamacare, generally whatever is expected seems to not happen; what is unexpected seems to happen.

olevetonahill
6/6/2013, 05:40 PM
True. The ACA is going to result in a flood of money going to medicine. Especially with the medicaid coverage being expanded so much. Maybe healthcare will have to restructure a little to be able to deliver services more efficiently in an altered marketplace, but medical providers will continue to make money.

But aint you one of those bitchin about the COST of SS an Medicare? You know those programs that the workers who draw it PAID into? Yet you're fine with Paying more for the Freeloaders who never worked, Never paid anything in, Never sacrificed for this country To get MORE.
Again sir you are a ****in Retard.

FaninAma
6/6/2013, 05:46 PM
The only way our resources can be overwhelmed is if more people are getting necessary medical services. This assumption implies that a subset of our population isn't getting necessary medical services right now.

People talk about rationing medical care but if our resources are going to be overwhelmed after the ACA then you can only conclude that we were rationing medical care before the ACA. We just happened to be rationing it based on one's ability to pay.

I'm not telling anyone how they should feel about this but if medical care become harder to obtain because more people are seeking services, that's not a lose/lose. It might be a negative to you and me and we may disagree with it but clearly that means more people are getting care.

Totally wrong. Current statistical reviews reveal that medicaid patients utilize health services at twice the rate of insured patients with deductibles and copays and 3 to 4 times as often as uninsured patients. The ugly fact is that a lot of care rendered is not necessary or emergent.

Adding 30 million more people to the rolls who will run to the emergency rooms for rashes, simple colds and other problems that can be managed at home will be a drain the system cannot bear.

A simple $5 to $10 copay would help but the Democrats and other progressive experts will never go for that.

Trust me on this issue. Medicaid health care costs are about to go vertical.

I guess you weren't totally wrong. Replenishing providers is now running at about a 20% annual deficit and after 2020 will increase to more than 25% deficit. (deficit is determined by number of physicians coming out of training minus the number of physicians retiring or going into non patient care positions.)

cleller
6/6/2013, 06:33 PM
Totally wrong. Current statistical reviews reveal that medicaid patients utilize health services at twice the rate of insured patients with deductibles and copays and 3 to 4 times as often as uninsured patients. The ugly fact is that a lot of care rendered is not necessary or emergent.

Dang, ain't that the truth.

This is an interesting page entitled "What Medicaid Can Do For You". It happens to be from Mississippi.

No limit on annual hospital expenses; no limits on ER visits; 12 office visits plus physical; 5 Rx's per month; adults get one pair of eyeglasses every 5 years, kids 2 pair per year; adults get 25 home health visits from July 1 to June 30 each year. Children can get more visits with a plan of care.

Ambulance co-pay? $3.

http://www.medicaid.ms.gov/WhatMedicaidCanDoForYou.aspx

yermom
6/6/2013, 06:37 PM
maybe the health care business model needs work?

maybe there should be more services available for non-emergent care... if someone doesn't need a doctor, then maybe they shouldn't see a doctor.

olevetonahill
6/6/2013, 06:51 PM
maybe the health care business model needs work?

maybe there should be more services available for non-emergent care... if someone doesn't need a doctor, then maybe they shouldn't see a doctor.

Maybe the Libs , Maybe the Govt. Maybe the Lazy mother ****ers on Medicaid shouldnt expect the working class to take care of them!

yermom
6/6/2013, 07:23 PM
i don't believe i made a statement about who was paying for it

every other civilized country seems to have figured out how to make things work. our rankings on health care are terrible among countries we'd like to be compared to

FirstandGoal
6/6/2013, 07:48 PM

Adding 30 million more people to the rolls who will run to the emergency rooms for rashes, simple colds and other problems that can be managed at home will be a drain the system cannot bear.

A simple $5 to $10 copay would help but the Democrats and other progressive experts will never go for that.

I guess you weren't totally wrong. Replenishing providers is now running at about a 20% annual deficit and after 2020 will increase to more than 25% deficit. (deficit is determined by number of physicians coming out of training minus the number of physicians retiring or going into non patient care positions.)

So you guys do realize that Fanin does know a thing or two about this kind of thing, dontcha?

As a fellow health care provider myself (and coming from an entire family of misc. health care providers), I see the absolute truth in many of these statements.

One change that could (and absolutely should) be made is that medicaid patients should be penalized just like the average joe when it comes to using the ER. My insurance has a $35 office visit and $100 deductible for the ER. Guess who is never going to use the ER for the sniffles? If I have to pay these higher copays (on top of the several hundred of dollars I already pay each year for my premiums in the first place) why is it so horrible to charge medicaid patients... say.... a $50 co-pay every time they bring their 2 year old into the ER at 3am and then proceed to agree to every single idiotic procedure and test that is offered up by the attending (who is mostly just covering his *** by this point in time) when they could have just as easily gone to their PCP?

olevetonahill
6/6/2013, 07:58 PM
Maybe the Libs , Maybe the Govt. Maybe the Lazy mother ****ers on Medicaid shouldnt expect the working class to take care of them!

every other civilized country seems to have figured out how to make things work. our rankings on health care are terrible among countries we'd like to be compared to

Heh maybe those who USE should Pay sompiun.

olevetonahill
6/6/2013, 08:02 PM
So you guys do realize that Fanin does know a thing or two about this kind of thing, dontcha?

Hes a Doctor of course he KNOWS

As a fellow health care provider myself (and coming from an entire family of misc. health care providers), I see the absolute truth in many of these statements.

One change that could (and absolutely should) be made is that medicaid patients should be penalized just like the average joe when it comes to using the ER. My insurance has a $35 office visit and $100 deductible for the ER. Guess who is never going to use the ER for the sniffles? If I have to pay these higher copays (on top of the several hundred of dollars I already pay each year for my premiums in the first place) why is it so horrible to charge medicaid patients... say.... a $50 co-pay every time they bring their 2 year old into the ER at 3am and then proceed to agree to every single idiotic procedure and test that is offered up by the attending (who is mostly just covering his *** by this point in time) when they could have just as easily gone to their PCP?

Darlin, You and the rest of us KNOW , IF its free they are going to abuse it,.

Hell when I was a Kid, we went to the Doc ONLY if we were BLEEDING uncontrollably. Bone was sticking thru Skin, Or 7-up dint fix it .

yermom
6/6/2013, 08:02 PM
i think most of the people with "entitlements" are the working poor and retired people. what do you suppose we do with them?

olevetonahill
6/6/2013, 08:24 PM
i think most of the people with "entitlements" are the working poor and retired people. what do you suppose we do with them?

Splain Please?
What the **** do you say are "Entitlements"
IMHO that is a ****in Gimme, by the Govet. for those who never WORKED, Never PAID a dime in taxes, Its those who sit on their asses drawing a Check Thats the "Entitlement" mother ****ers that IM talking about.

TAFBSooner
6/6/2013, 08:41 PM
Splain Please?
What the **** do you say are "Entitlements"
IMHO that is a ****in Gimme, by the Govet. for those who never WORKED, Never PAID a dime in taxes, Its those who sit on their asses drawing a Check Thats the "Entitlement" mother ****ers that IM talking about.

Politicians have screwed up the definition. You're right, welfare and Medicaid are entitlements. Social Security and Medicare are not, although most politicians and 1%'er apologists call them that to get people to hate those programs. SS and Medicare are earned benefits.

cleller
6/6/2013, 08:43 PM
People should have to pay something, surely. That crap I outlined about Medicare with a dozen free doctor visits, free eyeglasses, five free prescriptions/month, free dental is just outrageous. It is purely those that pay for healthcare paying the way for those who do not.

We pay over $500/month for insurance, and still have to pay for all our Dr visits and any prescription that might come up. We have no dental coverage. Think we stay away from the Dr and dentist more than we should due to costs? You bet we do. Can't afford the luxury Medicaid folks get.

olevetonahill
6/6/2013, 09:26 PM
Politicians have screwed up the definition. You're right, welfare and Medicaid are entitlements. Social Security and Medicare are not, although most politicians and 1%'er apologists call them that to get people to hate those programs. SS and Medicare are earned benefits.

Thank you for that.
according to that one dude Im on Veterans Welfare!
Think I gave a Tad more for this Country than He will ever,

olevetonahill
6/6/2013, 09:33 PM
People should have to pay something, surely. That crap I outlined about Medicare with a dozen free doctor visits, free eyeglasses, five free prescriptions/month, free dental is just outrageous. It is purely those that pay for healthcare paying the way for those who do not.

We pay over $500/month for insurance, and still have to pay for all our Dr visits and any prescription that might come up. We have no dental coverage. Think we stay away from the Dr and dentist more than we should due to costs? You bet we do. Can't afford the luxury Medicaid folks get.

So whats wrong? Just give up and let the Govt. support you. Then you can go the Docs when ya want, Plus ya good the SNAP( since it aint cool to call it FOOD STAMPS) FREE food
I go to the store 1nc a month and Buy what I can afford I make sure to stay away on the 3rd thru th 15th
Cause thats when the welfare Queens are doing thier shopping. And NO im not saying its JUST wimens

Last time I spent 150 bucks I was in line behind a dude I know who bought 300 bucks of stuff I couldn't afford.
He swiped his snap card and was GONE

TAFBSooner
6/6/2013, 10:01 PM
Thank you for that.
according to that one dude Im on Veterans Welfare!
Think I gave a Tad more for this Country than He will ever,

You earned every bit of your veteran's benefits and then some, Sir, and I thank you for it.

Midtowner
6/6/2013, 10:04 PM
With the track record of Obamacare, generally whatever is expected seems to not happen; what is unexpected seems to happen.

It's been a total nightmare so far with students being covered by their parents' policies through the age of 26. Costs have skyrocketed and the Republic is doomed.

REDREX
6/6/2013, 10:09 PM
It's been a total nightmare so far with students being covered by their parents' policies through the age of 26. Costs have skyrocketed and the Republic is doomed.---You are sure right that the price of insurance has gone up----The cost of the program will be far more than Barack and the gang said it would be don't kid yourself

olevetonahill
6/6/2013, 10:14 PM
It's been a total nightmare so far with students being covered by their parents' policies through the age of 26. Costs have skyrocketed and the Republic is doomed.

So are ya still covered by Daddies Ins.?

FaninAma
6/6/2013, 10:14 PM

But Obamacare isn't about making us more like other countries with universal care.

That is its huge flaw. Obama was a coward about implementing the restrictions to certain kinds of health care those governments have. They also require co-paymentsfrom everybody except the poorest of the poor.

FaninAma
6/6/2013, 10:19 PM
Maybe at first, but if those folks find out they can go to the regular family doc much more easily, they'll start doing that and actually slow down the flow of ER patients.
LOL. PCP's don't take. Medicaid now. Why would they take medicaid when it pays even less?

olevetonahill
6/6/2013, 10:21 PM
LOL. PCP's don't take. Medicaid now. Why would they take medicaid when it pays even less?

:drunk:

REDREX
6/6/2013, 10:24 PM
LOL. PCP's don't take. Medicaid now. Why would they take medicaid when it pays even less?---Please do not confuse him with facts

Wishboned
6/6/2013, 11:05 PM

I work at St John. On Tuesday they laid off my immediate supervisor, and my director. Both had 30 plus years at St John. No retirement party. No goodbye. They just escorted them out like they were criminals. In December they're outsourcing my department, and I get the "opportunity" to interview and test for my job making less money.

olevetonahill
6/6/2013, 11:16 PM
I work at St John. On Tuesday they laid off my immediate supervisor, and my director. Both had 30 plus years at St John. No retirement party. No goodbye. They just escorted them out like they were criminals. In December they're outsourcing my department, and I get the "opportunity" to interview and test for my job making less money.

God Bless Obammy care , Gonna make it better for us all.

Wishboned
6/6/2013, 11:30 PM
God Bless Obammy care , Gonna make it better for us all.

Here's the email we received about the news:

Dear Associate:

The St. John Health System, similar to many healthcare organizations across the country, is experiencing significant change. Common themes in this new environment include lack of public funding, a fluctuating and uncertain economic climate and a decrease in the number of patients seeking some of our healthcare services.

We face the reality that Oklahoma’s decision not to participate in Medicaid expansion (or some other publicly funded program) will result in significantly lower payments from government sources for the services we provide. It also means the already high number of uninsured Oklahomans will not be reduced.

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) is designed to offer health coverage for uninsured citizens by expanding each state’s Medicaid program. Oklahoma opted out of the ACA’s Medicaid expansion. This will make Oklahoma a donor state, with the money generated from reduced Medicare payments to doctors and hospitals going to other states’ Medicaid expansion rather than helping 150,000 to 180,000 Oklahomans gain access to health insurance. The anticipated impact of this statewide decision to St. John is expected to be a loss of up to $20 million annually in Medicaid reimbursement for the service we provide. In addition, ACA Medicare payment cuts, combined with additional federal sequestration cuts, means the health system will receive up to $15 million less in Medicare payments next year.

Tulsa hospitals already provide more than $175 million in uncompensated care each year. The St. John Health System alone accounts for approximately $60 million of that total. With Medicare cuts already in place, and no Medicaid or other expansion of coverage on its way, St. John and other Oklahoma hospitals and physicians are faced with less revenue, but the same number of uninsured patients.

Adding to this difficult environment is the potential that Insure Oklahoma, which provides affordable state and federally funded healthcare to employers and individuals, will not be renewed. This could significantly increase the number of uninsured Oklahomans.

As good stewards in ensuring the health system’s success in the coming years, we must face our economic realities and take measures to proactively address this situation now. Over the next three weeks, we will implement a plan to strategically restructure the workforce, resulting in position eliminations of approximately 2 to 3 percent of our associates by the end of June. This unfortunate but necessary step is required to reset staffing at appropriate levels based on our current and anticipated rates of patient utilization and reimbursement.

Coming to this conclusion has not been easy. We recognize that a workforce restructuring of this nature will negatively affect the lives of many of our friends and colleagues. To minimize the impact, any eligible associates whose positions are eliminated will receive a competitive severance package. This will include severance pay, benefit continuation during the severance period, and priority placement when applying for open positions within the health system.

Overcoming obstacles in an uncertain future is challenging, and requires steadfast commitment from all of you. Thank you for your continued commitment to preserving the long-term viability of the St. John Health System.

I will keep closely connected with you as we move forward.

I think I need a job with some security and room for growth and expansion.

Maybe something in government surveillance.

yermom
6/6/2013, 11:34 PM
But Obamacare isn't about making us more like other countries with universal care.
That is it's huge flaw. Obama was a coward about implementing the restrictions to certain kinds of health care those governments have. They als require co-payments
from everybody excep the poorest of the poor.

that's basically what i have said from day one. he pussied out just to get something, anything, signed. mission accomplished.

yermom
6/6/2013, 11:35 PM

so is it ACA to blame to our state's backward *** politicians?

Wishboned
6/6/2013, 11:39 PM
so is it ACA to blame to our state's backward *** politicians?

Because they're trying to be fiscally responsible by not opting into something that our state can't afford?

pphilfran
6/6/2013, 11:42 PM
Why did Okla opt out?

pphilfran
6/6/2013, 11:45 PM
Wishbone beat me to it...

Claims that Ok would have to pony up an additional 60 million a year...or something like that...

yermom
6/6/2013, 11:46 PM
Because they're trying to be fiscally responsible by not opting into something that our state can't afford?

we are lowering income taxes, i thought we were flushed with cash and nothing better to do with it

yermom
6/6/2013, 11:47 PM
Wishbone beat me to it...

Claims that Ok would have to pony up an additional 60 million a year...or something like that...

how much will those uninsured people cost us? how about the newly unemployed people?

pphilfran
6/7/2013, 12:13 AM
how much will those uninsured people cost us? how about the newly unemployed people?

Everyone should have basic catastrophic insurance...

I can't say if what they did is right or wrong...I haven't dug into it very deeply...I do know they face much larger payments going forward with or without opting out...adding another 60 million might have been more than they felt they could cover....

sappstuf
6/7/2013, 01:38 AM

Your question has conjured up some pretty big crickets...

http://www.txgenweb.org/postcards/texas/TexasCrickets.jpg

cleller
6/7/2013, 07:10 AM

I have a 26 year old PhD student. She is not/has not been covered by my insurance for 5 years. Why? because the cost to do so is outrageously unaffordable now.

Midtowner
6/7/2013, 07:43 AM
I have a 26 year old PhD student. She is not/has not been covered by my insurance for 5 years. Why? because the cost to do so is outrageously unaffordable now.

How unaffordable is it? What would be the extra cost to add her? What was it when you did choose to cover your own kid?

cleller
6/7/2013, 08:13 AM
How unaffordable is it? What would be the extra cost to add her? What was it when you did choose to cover your own kid?

Now that she is married, I don't know if I could add her or not. Assuming it were possible, I'd have to switch back to "family" coverage, which would mean around $800/month. We elected to keep me on the single coverage, got my wife a separate high deductible policy, and my daughter gets what she can from the Purdue campus stuff, then pays out of pocket for other minor doctor visits.

I have a $1500 yearly deductible, with a free yearly physical. My wife something like $8000, but it does cover a yearly "well woman" exam, and scheduled mammograms. 4-5 years ago we were all covered with a $500-$1000 family deductible for around $300/month. And yes, it is something we routinely check rates and re-evaluate.

So mostly, we don't go to the doctor, and try to stay healthy. A trip to the ER would have to be a true emergency.

cleller
6/7/2013, 08:35 AM
I gotta add this in. I had to go in yesterday for the big yearly "health fair". ALL ADULTS covered by my plan have to go in to this health fair this week between either 0600-0900 or noon-2:00pm after fasting 12 hours for a "biometrics" assessment. Blood pressure, blood tests, etc. If you do not attend, you monthly premium goes up 10%, and your deductible goes up $250 (single) or $500 (family).

I got up early and made the 1 hour drive. Got there at 0730. I only had to wait about 25 minutes, then was done in another 10. As I finished up, the crowd had swelled, leaving a bunch of unhappy folks with surely over an hour wait.

Obviously it is smart to get people on top of their health, but this is also pretty heavy handed. What began as something you undertook as wise protection for your family has morphed into a basic necessity that can run roughshod over you.

jkjsooner
6/7/2013, 09:46 AM

This is pretty much how corporate America treats its workers. It sucks big time.

That being said, how is this related to the ACA? It sounds like the hospital feels they can save money by outsourcing. If so, wouldn't they do that anyway?

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. It sucks. I hope you get to stay on if you want/need to.

jkjsooner
6/7/2013, 09:51 AM

I just read that letter and their rationale was exactly the opposite of what Badger implied. There is no way to twist that letter into a criticism of the ACA. In fact, the letter seems to be pretty pro-ACA. Instead they're extremely critical of Oklahoma for not taking part in the medicaid expansion.

REDREX
6/7/2013, 09:57 AM
This is pretty much how corporate America treats its workers. It sucks big time.

That being said, how is this related to the ACA? It sounds like the hospital feels they can save money by outsourcing. If so, wouldn't they do that anyway?

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. It sucks. I hope you get to stay on if you want/need to.----Nothing like a big sweeping statement about "Corporate America" from someone that has probably never had to meet a payroll or provided health insurance to employees

sappstuf
6/7/2013, 10:00 AM
I just read that letter and their rationale was exactly the opposite of what Badger implied. There is no way to twist that letter into a criticism of the ACA. In fact, the letter seems to be pretty pro-ACA. Instead they're extremely critical of Oklahoma for not taking part in the medicaid expansion.

I would be too. Can't risk an audit and other untold harassment from the Obama administration....

Soonerjeepman
6/7/2013, 10:28 AM

My brother is a rheumatologist in Mississippi, has a lot of medicad patients...one guy wanted his $2 co-pay (paid with a $20) back cause he wouldn't refill his script..he had been to the 5 diff docs in 3 weeks. I BELIEVE, not sure, they do NOT have a co-pay at all now.

NO it WON'T change. The folks going now to the em room will still go.

FaninAma
6/7/2013, 10:29 AM
that's basically what i have said from day one. he pussied out just to get something, anything, signed. mission accomplished.

I agree totally. I would much prefer the system the Swiss, the Kiwis or the Aussies have.

The ACA is a disaster. Obama caved to the big insurance companies.

jkjsooner
6/7/2013, 10:35 AM
----Nothing like a big sweeping statement about "Corporate America" from someone that has probably never had to meet a payroll or provided health insurance to employees

Whatever. I was just trying to be sympathetic to someone who may lose his job due to outsourcing.

And you missed the point. This was being blamed on the ACA and nothing stated had anything to do with the ACA.

Turd_Ferguson
6/7/2013, 12:00 PM
Whatever. I was just trying to be sympathetic to someone who may lose his job due to outsourcing.

And you missed the point. This was being blamed on the ACA and nothing stated had anything to do with the ACA.

Whatever.

jkjsooner
6/7/2013, 01:18 PM
Whatever.

Nice. Very thought provoking.

FaninAma
6/8/2013, 12:32 AM
My brother is a rheumatologist in Mississippi, has a lot of medicad patients...one guy wanted his $2 co-pay (paid with a $20) back cause he wouldn't refill his script..he had been to the 5 diff docs in 3 weeks. I BELIEVE, not sure, they do NOT have a co-pay at all now.

There will just be a lot more of them..

FirstandGoal
6/8/2013, 01:35 AM

Here in Oklahoma anybody who is on medicaid and has a co-pay on an rx (the highest of which will run a person $3.50) and tells the pharmacist that they cannot pay said co-pay is legally entitled to have the pharmacist waive the co-pay and we are supposed to let them walk out of the pharmacy without paying if they say they can't.

So who do you think reimburses the pharmacist for the lost copay?

sappstuf
6/8/2013, 01:46 AM
I agree totally. I would much prefer the system the Swiss, the Kiwis or the Aussies have.

The ACA is a disaster. Obama caved to the big insurance companies.

Obamacare was always healthcare insurance reform and not the healthcare reform that Obama sold it as.

sappstuf
6/8/2013, 01:49 AM
Here in Oklahoma anybody who is on medicaid and has a co-pay on an rx (the highest of which will run a person $3.50) and tells the pharmacist that they cannot pay said co-pay is legally entitled to have the pharmacist waive the co-pay and we are supposed to let them walk out of the pharmacy without paying if they say they can't.

So who do you think reimburses the pharmacist for the lost copay?

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/obama-unicorn-267x300.jpg

Am I right?

okiewaker
6/8/2013, 02:12 AM
Don't matter when the shat hits home. Co. Webinar,,,,copay from 10 to 30, office visit from 5 to 15, urgent care from 15 to 50, ER from 50 to hundred. Deductible doubled and overall plan is not near as good. Fuuuuuuuk Youuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!! B/c of Obamacare as it relates to companies, Im having to give up a very good healthcare plan for my family so others can enjoy having healthcare at the expense of my own family. IDGAS about other ppls families or kids. Company DIRECTLY pointed the finger at the ACA,,,and I might add, it's a Euro company. As far as Oklahoma,,iDK.

sappstuf
6/8/2013, 02:50 AM
Don't matter when the shat hits home. Co. Webinar,,,,copay from 10 to 30, office visit from 5 to 15, urgent care from 15 to 50, ER from 50 to hundred. Deductible doubled and overall plan is not near as good. Fuuuuuuuk Youuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!! B/c of Obamacare as it relates to companies, Im having to give up a very good healthcare plan for my family so others can enjoy having healthcare at the expense of my own family. IDGAS about other ppls families or kids. Company DIRECTLY pointed the finger at the ACA,,,and I might add, it's a Euro company. As far as Oklahoma,,iDK.

Are you calling the President a liar?

KoV0NeHNklk

What about Nancy when she said on Meet the Press that because of Obamacare, "everybody will have lower rates."?

Surely Democrats didn't pull a bait and switch on the entire American public?

TheHumanAlphabet
6/8/2013, 09:03 PM
The bitch Pelosi "we have to pass the bill in order to find out what is in the bill..."

what a crock out **** and what a crock of a law... This sucker needs to be repealed, it is pure and simple, a grab for money and power to herd Americans around and control them...