PDA

View Full Version : OU's Jonathan Gray tests positive for adderall

nighttrain12
6/4/2013, 01:15 PM
It won't affect his NCAA eligibility.

http://newsok.com/oklahomas-jonathan-gray-had-positive-test-for-adderall/article/3841374

jkjsooner
6/6/2013, 10:16 AM
I'm assuming he has stopped taking it. We'll see how that affects his performance.

I don't know what to think about people with ADD taking adderall. I'm all for them correcting their deficiency but I wonder if those guys in MLB who are authorized to take it have an advantage.

I had a coworker who was ADD. She said the adderall would allow her to focus on any task (even something she would not otherwise be interested in) for hours at a time. A non-ADD person could not remain focused on an uninteresting subject for hours at a time. (In the worst case I'm lucky if I can remain focused while reading a paragraph of an uninteresting topic.) We have in essence created an advantage for those with ADD. With that in mind I don't blame non-ADD kids from trying it out.

It kind of reminds me of the untimed tests that some kids with learning disabilities get. A lot of tests are made to be time limited. I think a lot of us could come close to acing the ACT if we were given an unlimited time to take it. A lot of questions are designed so that anyone who is fairly smart could answer but the really brilliant kid would see the answer really quickly. By giving some people unlimited time we've essentially given them an advantage. From what I've heard adderall is the same way.

nighttrain12
6/7/2013, 05:53 PM
From the article above:

"sources indicated that Gray did not have a therapeutic exemption for the drug."

Either he didn't tell the MLB testers that he had a prescription for it or he just didn't have one. As the article states, the next step is just additional testing once he signs a pro contract.