PDA

View Full Version : OU's getting $22 million share from Big 12 this year

badger
5/31/2013, 04:19 PM
We, and other old Big 12 members, are getting bigger shares than West Virginia and TCU this year.

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Big_12_Conference_distributing_198_million_to_10_t eams/20130531_93_0_IRVING24477?subj=298)

$198 million total, which is a lot more when you consider we only have 10 mouths to feed

budbarrybob
5/31/2013, 05:28 PM
So this means I'll be getting a rebate on my season tix?

Collier11
5/31/2013, 06:12 PM
No way, Stoops will need another raise soon :D

goingoneight
6/1/2013, 04:21 PM
zomg !!!111! hire nick saban NAO1111!!!!1

swardboy
6/1/2013, 04:47 PM
How much of this is spread amongst Soonerfans posters?

Collier11
6/1/2013, 05:56 PM
means we build nicer things so we actually have to pay more :D

MichiganSooner
6/2/2013, 10:47 AM
Anyone know the figures for SEC teams? Interested to know how aTm and miseri fared.

swardboy
6/2/2013, 12:21 PM
I'm sure satanball will be happy to inform us.

Sabanball
6/2/2013, 11:30 PM
The SEC will divide up $289.4 million EQUALLY between all members. Mizzou and AM will both get a full share of $20.7 million. Had we used the Big 12 formula for payouts, all SEC schools besides Mizzou/AM would have each received over $22 mil/each.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/first-year-in-sec-bringing-mizzou-over-million/article_b81444e0-cdab-5c70-880f-9b93f0ae38bb.html

badger
6/3/2013, 08:21 AM
How much of this is spread amongst Soonerfans posters?

443 million was vWon on vBookie last night in the WCWS. They've decided we're vRich enough that we don't get anything from the Big 12

badger
6/3/2013, 08:22 AM
The SEC will divide up $289.4 million EQUALLY between all members. Mizzou and AM will both get a full share of $20.7 million. Had we used the Big 12 formula for payouts, all SEC schools besides Mizzou/AM would have each received over $22 mil/each.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/first-year-in-sec-bringing-mizzou-over-million/article_b81444e0-cdab-5c70-880f-9b93f0ae38bb.html

Before you all get too high and mighty, we helped West Virginia with their monstrous Big East buyout, so it's not like they *only* got $11 million

Sabanball
6/3/2013, 10:22 AM
Before you all get too high and mighty, we helped West Virginia with their monstrous Big East buyout, so it's not like they *only* got $11 million

Yes, I was aware of that, but wasn't that basically more than paid for by the departure of Mizzou/AM through their forfeitures? If I understand correctly, The Big 12 also made Mizzou/AM forfeit any proceeds for the 2012/13 season as part of their exit agreements, right? Nothing wrong with that, it's just good business. I'm not criticizing your conference.

I'm sure that actually hurt Mizzou a little, but I think that in the long term both schools made a financially wise decision. With the SEC Network going live in Aug 2014, the per share take is expected to climb to $30 mil/yr + pretty quickly.

badger
6/3/2013, 11:49 AM
The Big 12 also made Mizzou/AM forfeit any proceeds for the 2012/13 season as part of their exit agreements, right?

That would have probably been financially devastating, so no. It was only $12.41 mil each (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/46241/final-exit-fees-finalized-for-mizzou-am) We could have charged them $30 mil each since they left with under a year's notice, but lawyering worked that down a bit.

Sabanball
6/3/2013, 07:36 PM
That would have probably been financially devastating, so no. It was only $12.41 mil each (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/46241/final-exit-fees-finalized-for-mizzou-am) We could have charged them $30 mil each since they left with under a year's notice, but lawyering worked that down a bit.

Thats interesting. Negotiating $30 mil down to $12.4 mil must have been expensive though. I wonder how much the lawyers got...:O

badger
6/4/2013, 08:43 AM
I'll be honest Sabie --- I've tried to be cordial in the past but I'm starting to tire of hearing how awesome the SEC is. So, let me cordially invite you to what I really think of the SEC's massive money haul:

If there was any patience for football championships in your league, maybe your millions would mean something to most of your 14 members. However, it has been quite well documented how little job security your conference's highly paid (mostly guaranteed contracts) football coaches make whether they still have a job or get fired. Then, you have programs like Tennessee whose communities charge taxes on tickets to the point that they're worried about debt levels. 100K stadiums are nice and impressive on paper --- OMG look at that capacity number! But they're sure hard to fill when your team's not bowl eligible.

Thus, I view your conference's massive payouts as a house of cards. It'll be interesting to see whether these big money deals lead to any more SEC football programs to profitability or at least having a shot at a big bowl/national title. But, seeing how your conference members are known for chanting "SEC" more than their own school's names, I think not.

MichiganSooner
6/5/2013, 11:07 AM
Were the Sooner fans chanting, "Big 12, Big 12!" or even "SEC sucks, SEC sucks" at the softball national championship? I dvr'ed the game and will watch later. I doubt it.

LakeRat
6/5/2013, 02:59 PM
22 vs 25 mill isn't a lot in the whole scheme of things for big programs. They have 100 mill budgets. Your talking 3-4% of budget.

Mjcpr
6/5/2013, 03:19 PM
22 vs 25 mill isn't a lot in the whole scheme of things for big programs. They have 100 mill budgets. Your talking 3-4% of budget.

$25 mil = 3-4% of $100 mil?

8timechamps
6/5/2013, 05:16 PM
$25 mil = 3-4% of $100 mil?

$25 mil - $22 mil = $3 mil = 3% - 4%

C'mon Pat!

Mjcpr
6/5/2013, 05:20 PM
I wondered wtf he was getting at. I guess he was getting at that I can't read. I read it as 22 - 25. :D

8timechamps
6/5/2013, 05:50 PM
I wondered wtf he was getting at. I guess he was getting at that I can't read. I read it as 22 - 25. :D

I wish I could give you ****, but I got nothing. Carry on.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/6/2013, 08:04 AM
We also keep our Tier 3 rights unlike other conferences. Did the university announce what it's making from the Fox Sports deal? It sure was nice to get to see a lot of the baseball games on tv down here. It should be good for baseball recruiting going forward.

SoonerAtKU
6/11/2013, 05:10 PM
I'll be honest Sabie --- I've tried to be cordial in the past but I'm starting to tire of hearing how awesome the SEC is. So, let me cordially invite you to what I really think of the SEC's massive money haul:

If there was any patience for football championships in your league, maybe your millions would mean something to most of your 14 members. However, it has been quite well documented how little job security your conference's highly paid (mostly guaranteed contracts) football coaches make whether they still have a job or get fired. Then, you have programs like Tennessee whose communities charge taxes on tickets to the point that they're worried about debt levels. 100K stadiums are nice and impressive on paper --- OMG look at that capacity number! But they're sure hard to fill when your team's not bowl eligible.

Thus, I view your conference's massive payouts as a house of cards. It'll be interesting to see whether these big money deals lead to any more SEC football programs to profitability or at least having a shot at a big bowl/national title. But, seeing how your conference members are known for chanting "SEC" more than their own school's names, I think not.

You forget, Badger, that $20.7M will buy you exactly 115 Cam Newtons, when paid directly to a father or other relative. With that, each team in the SEC could easily field a team of 85 Heisman Trophy Candidates and still pay 30 extra "students" to take non-scholarship walk-on positions. I don't see an end in sight for the SEC SEC SEC dominance as long as the good guys are lining up against all of that.

tycat947
6/11/2013, 09:40 PM
We also keep our Tier 3 rights unlike other conferences. Did the university announce what it's making from the Fox Sports deal? It sure was nice to get to see a lot of the baseball games on tv down here. It should be good for baseball recruiting going forward.

I've never been able to find an exact figure but I think it's at least $5M per year. WVU and KU both get in the $6-$7M range and I can see no reason we would get more than either of these schools especially since you can access SoonerSportsTV pretty much nationally now.