PDA

View Full Version : "Old Economy Steve" is the newest Internet meme

badger
5/31/2013, 10:38 AM
lol (http://www.quickmeme.com/Old-Economy-Steven/?upcoming)

examples:
http://t.qkme.me/3p86c0.jpg
http://t.qkme.me/3p857x.jpg
http://t.qkme.me/3p86ua.jpg

There's tons more at the link. Thought you old farts would enjoy hearing what these entitled bratty kids think of you ;)

SoonerStormchaser
5/31/2013, 11:26 AM
Ok baj, I give up...what is with this?

badger
5/31/2013, 11:34 AM
Ok baj, I give up...what is with this?
With the meme or with the Millenials vs Boomers fight?

SoonerStormchaser
5/31/2013, 11:56 AM
I just don't get any of it.

badger
5/31/2013, 12:18 PM
I just don't get any of it.

Picture an easily offended sensitive type that like to remind you of your past wrongdoings whenever possible. You ask to borrow the car, he reminds you about the time you had to slam on your brakes to avoid running a red light. You want to host her family for backyard BBQ, she reminds you that killing helpless animals for food is immoral. This person is impossible, unbearable and completely out there and you have absolutely no idea why they cling to the things that they do and repeat them until they're accepted by others as true/funny/whatever. Repeat, recycle, rehash. Over and over over. Never ending, more annoying and old to the point that you wish it would just disappear or move on.

That is the Internet meme.

Now, picture two people that are so incredibly different from each other. Maybe they're drastically different ages, different races, from different countries, etc. They both strongly believe that they are correct, and to ensure that they are correct, everyone else must be wrong. Put these two drastically different, determined-to-be-right people in the same room, lock the door and let them argue into eternity.

That is Boomer versus Millennial.

sooner_born_1960
5/31/2013, 12:25 PM
I'm with Stormchaser. I still don't get what those pictures have to do with what you just said.

olevetonahill
5/31/2013, 12:26 PM
I wouldnt argue with the Youngster, Id just bitch slap him.

KantoSooner
5/31/2013, 12:35 PM
Here's another way to understand it:

There are some people who believe that sometime between about 1980 and 2000 the nature of 'work' changed. Before that time, so goes the theory, men in waist coats and top hats lined the streets begging young people to work for them. If the young people back then agreed, they were given penthouse apartments in which to spend their copious leisure time, massive salaries, signing bonuses that would make a baseball player blush and prompt advancement to the executive suite. These were known then as 'summer jobs'.Today, these same folks opine, there are no jobs for anyone. Instead, people dress in business attire and drive towards the centers of cities across our fine country where they hide in bombed out office towers doing nothing. They then come home, wave the magic food wand and dinner appears on the table.
Ergo, no point to do anything other than play video games, exchange vapid nothings on social media and experiment with gravity defiance in the example of one's pants.
These people are known as 'Millennials'.

Those older than Milennials are known as 'Boomers'. They were born between 1945 and 1960 approximately. Their zeitgeist involves being born into a world in which the previous ten generations had saved damn near any penny they earned, stole or happened to find in the street. Then their parents had engaged in a war in which all economic competition around the world was righteously bombed into non-existence. AND their parents had fixed things so that government was going to spend massive amounts of cash for ... stuff. Oh, and those pennies? They gave them to the Boomers to spend as they saw fit because the parents had had rotten childhoods and wanted the Boomers to have fun. The Boomers then took the resultant economic Big Rock Candy Mountain and figgered it was all their doing and took credit for it. Because they were more politically correct than those who'd gone before.

But what about the people born between the Boomers and the Millennials? Surely there were some people born then, right?

Well, you know the sad bastards who show up to a great party about 15 minutes before the cops come and the clean up begins?

Yep, if you were born between 1960 and 1980, that's you and me, bro.

rock on sooner
5/31/2013, 12:42 PM
I wouldnt argue with the Youngster, Id just bitch slap him.

Heh...

Midtowner
5/31/2013, 12:42 PM
Love this meme.

I think the Boomers were truly the worst generation. It's probably not their fault, but they, by and large, along with the "greatest generation" wrecked this country. Even when we're trying to allocate the hangover effect, the Boomers are careful not to have it affect their own. Those who are currently receiving benefits continue to do so. I continue to pay social security with the full expectation that by the time I retire, I won't be getting that check I was promised.

The millenials aren't blameless though. They expect everything to be the same or better than their parents had it--and in fact, that's the way a lot of families work, we try to leave the next generation better off than we were. Unfortunately, when these kids go to school, because school is what you do to improve your lot in life, they walk away with massive student loans and middling job prospects. It's really hard to feel sorry for the kid who went to school to get an education degree, bought cars and TVs with student loan money and now can't make ends meet or make any progress on those loans. I also don't feel sorry for anyone who attends an expensive private school without significant scholarship money or when that school's name isn't Harvard or Yale. Sucks to be you with $150K in debt and a $35K job.

A college degree is still a ticket to a better job, quicker advancement and a better quality of life. It's just diminished compared to trade school and other non-bachelor's degree required skills.

badger
5/31/2013, 12:59 PM
Here's another way to understand it:

There are some people who believe that sometime between about 1980 and 2000 the nature of 'work' changed. Before that time, so goes the theory, men in waist coats and top hats lined the streets begging young people to work for them. If the young people back then agreed, they were given penthouse apartments in which to spend their copious leisure time, massive salaries, signing bonuses that would make a baseball player blush and prompt advancement to the executive suite. These were known then as 'summer jobs'.Today, these same folks opine, there are no jobs for anyone. Instead, people dress in business attire and drive towards the centers of cities across our fine country where they hide in bombed out office towers doing nothing. They then come home, wave the magic food wand and dinner appears on the table.
Ergo, no point to do anything other than play video games, exchange vapid nothings on social media and experiment with gravity defiance in the example of one's pants.
These people are known as 'Millennials'.

Those older than Milennials are known as 'Boomers'. They were born between 1945 and 1960 approximately. Their zeitgeist involves being born into a world in which the previous ten generations had saved damn near any penny they earned, stole or happened to find in the street. Then their parents had engaged in a war in which all economic competition around the world was righteously bombed into non-existence. AND their parents had fixed things so that government was going to spend massive amounts of cash for ... stuff. Oh, and those pennies? They gave them to the Boomers to spend as they saw fit because the parents had had rotten childhoods and wanted the Boomers to have fun. The Boomers then took the resultant economic Big Rock Candy Mountain and figgered it was all their doing and took credit for it. Because they were more politically correct than those who'd gone before.

But what about the people born between the Boomers and the Millennials? Surely there were some people born then, right?

Well, you know the sad bastards who show up to a great party about 15 minutes before the cops come and the clean up begins?

Yep, if you were born between 1960 and 1980, that's you and me, bro.

I like this explanation better. Let's go with Kanto's

Tulsa_Fireman
5/31/2013, 04:29 PM
Love this meme.

Figures.

Old hippies versus whiny, self-absorbed punks.

All the while Gen X'ers drag BOTH your asses through life.

cleller
5/31/2013, 04:48 PM
I do not believe that the "greatest generation" bears blame for the nation being "wrecked".

The nickname did not gain widespread acceptance without some examination.

olevetonahill
5/31/2013, 04:51 PM
I do not believe that the "greatest generation" shares any blame for the nation being "wrecked".

The nickname did not gain widespread acceptance without the support of the populace.

Yup Both my folks were raised thu the depression, Then Dad went to the Pacific during WW2 whil Mom stayed home and raised 2 kids on just what she got for an allotment from Dads Military pay.

They taught Me how to be frugal and not waste anything. To this day I have a hard time throwing some thoing away. "I might need it some day":tennis:

KantoSooner
5/31/2013, 04:53 PM
You're right on that Cleller. The Boomers and the Millennials both do, though. And for precisely the same reason: they're both generations born into extended periods of peace and prosperity and though neither had the least tiny bit to do with creating those conditiions feel entitled to them and responsible for all good in the world.
Then both have gone on to act in a most selfish and greedy manner. Not a lot to recommend with either.

KantoSooner
5/31/2013, 04:54 PM
To this day I have a hard time throwing some thoing away. "I might need it some day":tennis:

I'll show you my baling wire collection someday.

olevetonahill
5/31/2013, 05:02 PM

:playful:

SoonerorLater
5/31/2013, 06:16 PM
You're right on that Cleller. The Boomers and the Millennials both do, though. And for precisely the same reason: they're both generations born into extended periods of peace and prosperity and though neither had the least tiny bit to do with creating those conditiions feel entitled to them and responsible for all good in the world.
Then both have gone on to act in a most selfish and greedy manner. Not a lot to recommend with either.

I've never quite understood all of the generational animus. To listen to some of this you would think Baby Boomers had some kind of convention and voted to wreck the world. You would think Millennials were genetically programed to never work hard a day in their life. How is all of this supposed to work? Because your date of birth falls within a specified time period then you must share unique personality and character traits with everybody else born within that defined time period?

Most of the characteristics or generalizations about certain generations are just an outsiders myopic view of the sum of the rational decisions of a large group of people given the choices in front of them at any given moment. Choices that in a lot of instances were set in motion by decisions that were made many years before.

Most of the generational warfare stuff is just an attempt by people to rationalize the responsibility for the problems of the world as being the fault of somebody else.

cleller
5/31/2013, 09:40 PM

I guarantee you can save that stuff to you're sick of the sight of it; then still run out just when you need it.

yermom
6/1/2013, 01:34 AM
Could be old economy Dean

yermom
6/1/2013, 01:39 AM
I do not believe that the "greatest generation" bears blame for the nation being "wrecked".

The "greatest generation" were the parents of the boomers, not the boomers

And I think the millenials are more of the kids that grew up with 9/11 not the relative calm the Gen Xers did

diverdog
6/1/2013, 06:00 AM
With the meme or with the Millenials vs Boomers fight?

there are several problems with this line of thought. First is the real driver of these deficits can be put squarely on the shoulders of the WW II generation and those born right after. They received benefits far far in excess of what they paid in. SS and medicare were created under their watch as well as all the Great Society stuff.

Secondly, I was born at the very end of the baby boom and I do not feel much of that applies to me. None of the people I know except those who work in government get benefits. The job market when I came out of college was horrible and we were in a full blown recession. It was also at that time that Reagan started deficit spending.

Midtowner
6/1/2013, 08:28 AM

If you look at who passed much of the legislation which has set future generations up for failure, it ain't the Boomers who were in power when that stuff happened.

cleller
6/1/2013, 08:34 AM
The "greatest generation" were the parents of the boomers, not the boomers

And I think the millenials are more of the kids that grew up with 9/11 not the relative calm the Gen Xers did

See below: (Midtowner had included the "greatest generation" as part of the wrecking crew.)

I think the Boomers were truly the worst generation. It's probably not their fault, but they, by and large, along with the "greatest generation" wrecked this country.

If you look at who passed much of the legislation which has set future generations up for failure, it ain't the Boomers who were in power when that stuff happened.

I'd rather lay the liability more on the individuals that brought about problems, as opposed to their forebears for not anticipating their actions.

diverdog
6/1/2013, 02:35 PM

Exactly.

How many boomers who are retiring get the kind of pensions and benefits their parents did?

Some of the Wall Street/housing bubbles fall on later generation shoulders but the entitlement society is largely a product of the greatest generation!

yermom
6/1/2013, 02:40 PM
People retiring now around here still get the sweet grandfathered deals. Its the people just behind them getting shafted

olevetonahill
6/1/2013, 02:56 PM
Holy hell, Now its come down to Blaming a specific generation?

It aint any set gen. thats caused the Problems of this country Its the Liberal Do evereything for everyone Mind set thats ****ed it up. S.S. is the Prob? Social Dems set that up back in the 30s to help the Poor folk. Medicare is the Prob? Johnson and his Great Society Set that up back in the early 60s to Help the Poor

The way to fix this country is to get off yer asses and go to work, Elect People to Office who will start weaning folk OFF the Give away Tit.

Nothing wrong With S.S. either in MHO IF Congress had kept their Hands out of that Cookie jar

cleller
6/1/2013, 03:42 PM
Holy hell, Now its come down to Blaming a specific generation?

It aint any set gen. thats caused the Problems of this country Its the Liberal Do evereything for everyone Mind set thats ****ed it up. S.S. is the Prob? Social Dems set that up back in the 30s to help the Poor folk. Medicare is the Prob? Johnson and his Great Society Set that up back in the early 60s to Help the Poor

The way to fix this country is to get off yer asses and go to work, Elect People to Office who will start weaning folk OFF the Give away Tit.

Nothing wrong With S.S. either in MHO IF Congress had kept their Hands out of that Cookie jar

I think you've hit on something.

Maybe those saying the greatest generation screwed everything up, mean to say that we need to stop trying to help the poor?

Really though blaming a generation on something that say, Lyndon Johnson (or your fav scapegoat) and his political cohorts did is overbroadly blaming the people that placed the USA in the the position of a world leader.

SoonerorLater
6/1/2013, 04:16 PM
The main reason we were in the position as world leader is because we bombed the productive capacity of the world into oblivion in WWII. The USA was the last man standing. The standard of living for average Americans improved because the American Worker was able to demand higher wages and get them. Beginning in the late 60's to early 70's that changed.

Scott D
6/1/2013, 07:07 PM
I feel dumber having read this thread.

C&CDean
6/1/2013, 07:26 PM
People retiring now around here still get the sweet grandfathered deals. Its the people just behind them getting shafted

Dave, that's lame. I used to say the same thing. Everybody before me got all the sweetness. Me? Shafted. Now that I'm there, I'm doing OK. Actually, OK+. Of course I have chosen to continue working and building/growing. Some choose not to. It's all about the individual making a choice to be a loser/winner/slacker/half-stepper. Anybody in this country can have anything they want...if they're willing to work. Really ****ing hard. I do that, and it pays. Simple as that.

P.S. I don't have everything I want, but I have so very much more than I expected or/and quite possibly deserve. Good enough for me.

yermom
6/1/2013, 07:53 PM
An example would be when I was at OU. People I worked with had the "rule of 80" for retirement. This is where their age plus years of service was how long they had to work to retire with benefits. Then when I came on it was 90 instead of 80. Now I don't think that option even exists for new hires

C&CDean
6/1/2013, 08:06 PM
An example would be when I was at OU. People I worked with had the "rule of 80" for retirement. This is where their age plus years of service was how long they had to work to retire with benefits. Then when I came on it was 90 instead of 80. Now I don't think that option even exists for new hires

Make your own ****ing rule. That simple. You're smart enough.

yermom
6/1/2013, 08:11 PM
I'm just saying your generation got it easier and you try to say that all you had to do is work hard. It's not that simple

Your personal story basically means nothing for anyone growing up now

diverdog
6/1/2013, 09:18 PM
The main reason we were in the position as world leader is because we bombed the productive capacity of the world into oblivion in WWII. The USA was the last man standing. The standard of living for average Americans improved because the American Worker was able to demand higher wages and get them. Beginning in the late 60's to early 70's that changed.

yep and we opened the borders to illegal immigration and women in the work force. The glut of labor eventual drove down real wages. Of course CEO earning a gizzillion times the average worker has not helped.

BajaOklahoma
6/1/2013, 09:29 PM

I am actually grandfathered in on the rule of 80. It just meant that I was of a certain age and had been with the school district long enough to qualify. When I started this job, I planned on having teacher retirement and the SS benefits that I have paid for over the years. Unfortunately for me, I now have to choose TRS or SS, not both. So we had to change our retirement plans. Sucks, but it is what it is. My kids may not inherit much when we die, but they owed nothing for college, which is huge IMO.