PDA

View Full Version : Quincy Russell

REDREX
5/29/2013, 05:00 PM
Any news ?

Collier11
5/29/2013, 07:18 PM
I cant add anything here other than to say that the last I heard he was in at Summer break sometime

Ruf/Nek7
5/29/2013, 07:51 PM
According to Eddy Radosevich from Soonerscoop says to expect something in June. At this point, he is most likely an OU lock.

8timechamps
5/30/2013, 05:01 PM
According to Eddy Radosevich from Soonerscoop says to expect something in June. At this point, he is most likely an OU lock.

Right now only OU and Russell know what's going on. I've talked to a source that usually feeds me tidbits, and he said that the only official thing that's come out of OU is that he's on the roster for 2013, and that Russell hasn't spoken to anyone.

As far as what Soonerscoop says (and I'm going off of what you posted, as I don't use their site), everyone will know by June, because that's when players begin to report for the fall.

From everything I've seen (which I've posted here), I'd be very surprised if Russell isn't in Norman. There is still some questions about academics, so that could cause a delay, otherwise, there is no reason to think he won't be a Sooner.

MyT Oklahoma
5/30/2013, 10:51 PM
^^ Thanks for the update.

Collier11
6/1/2013, 01:39 PM
Just reported...Quincy Russell has his grades in order and will report to OU next week. Great News!

goingoneight
6/1/2013, 01:46 PM
I heard that, too. That he's ready to go grades-wise and he'll report this month. But I didn't really trust my source (he said/she said source in Norman).

Collier11
6/1/2013, 05:58 PM
This was OUinsider on Twitter, FWIW

8timechamps
6/1/2013, 11:38 PM
Checked on this after I saw the OUI report, and it was verified. Russell's academic issues are in order, and the only thing left is for him to report to Norman.

I'm not counting him "here", until he actually arrives and gets enrolled.

His arrival is going to be HUGE for this defense.

Ruf/Nek7
6/2/2013, 09:00 AM
Checked on this after I saw the OUI report, and it was verified. Russell's academic issues are in order, and the only thing left is for him to report to Norman.

I'm not counting him "here", until he actually arrives and gets enrolled.

His arrival is going to be HUGE for this defense.

I know this is a guy we need but is he a guy we want? Now hear me out before you all begin to rant about the need outweighing the want. This kid appears to be settling for OU and has shown little excitement about this program. It seems as though he wanted to go sec but didn't appear to meet academic standards soon enough for coaches to lose hope on him and look elsewhere so then Russell very quietly chooses Ou because we are the only remaining top program giving him a chance and he ultimately wants the NFL. I feel like Bob has purged this team of guys like that in the last 4 or so years. So I ask again, this is a kid we need but do we really want him? Now rip me apart :fat:

cleller
6/2/2013, 09:46 AM
I know this is a guy we need but is he a guy we want? Now hear me out before you all begin to rant about the need outweighing the want. This kid appears to be settling for OU and has shown little excitement about this program. It seems as though he wanted to go sec but didn't appear to meet academic standards soon enough for coaches to lose hope on him and look elsewhere so then Russell very quietly chooses Ou because we are the only remaining top program giving him a chance and he ultimately wants the NFL. I feel like Bob has purged this team of guys like that in the last 4 or so years. So I ask again, this is a kid we need but do we really want him? Now rip me apart :fat:

I get what your saying. Has an little whiff of desperation to the story, but guess we'll have to trust our coaches on all that.

If he is wanting to go to the NFL bad enough, everyone will benefit if he puts his all into it.

REDREX
6/2/2013, 02:13 PM
I know he HATES Texas-----Good enough for me

8timechamps
6/2/2013, 02:17 PM

No reason to rant, your concerns are justified.

What it boils down to is his work ethic. He knows that this is his chance to get to the NFL. He knows that OU is a big time program. He knows that he can come in and start from oay one. Will he give everything he has? We'll see, but the odds are he will. He's smart enough to know OU was his best chance (available to him) to get to the NFL. Like cleller said, we'll have to trust the coaches here.

My prediction is that he ends up being pretty darn good for OU, and at the same time falls in love with the program. Even a guy in a situation like his wouldn't commit to a school he didn't want to be at, just for the exposure. That's the benefit of getting JUCO talent, they typically have their heads on straight and know the reality of the situation.

Keller Sooner
6/2/2013, 02:26 PM
I believe Jerry Montgomery will get the best out of this kid, because he won't accept anything less. If he doesn't put in the effort Montgomery will recruit over him.

8timechamps
6/2/2013, 04:47 PM
I believe Jerry Montgomery will get the best out of this kid, because he won't accept anything less. If he doesn't put in the effort Montgomery will recruit over him.

+1

There's also the Montgomery factor. I don't think he'll allow any player to give anything less than 100%.

VA Sooner
6/3/2013, 06:25 AM
Good news indeed then. We need him on the line from the beginning... the future is bright, kid.

Now get 'em

picasso
6/3/2013, 09:09 AM
I think our D-line situation is desperate, so I'm not seeing the concern here.

Mac94
6/3/2013, 09:44 AM
Huge need guy ... and the guy looks like a plug in right away guy ... and if his goal is NFL then he has all the motivation he needs to play hard and play well for OU. Not every kid that steps on campus will have dreamed of putting on that schools uniform all their life. Some do ... others make "business" decisions. But once he gets in and has a chance to bond with his teammates he'll be fine.

sooneron
6/4/2013, 09:25 AM
Anyone that says he has to work hard/kick *** to get to the nfl, hasn't been paying a lot of attention to the draft of late. You can have average stats and career and still go in the top 2 rounds. They'll take you on your phys attributes alone. How many "projects" went in the first round this year? I would venture to guess around 6 or 7...

Widescreen
6/4/2013, 09:34 AM
Anyone that says he has to work hard/kick *** to get to the nfl, hasn't been paying a lot of attention to the draft of late. You can have average stats and career and still go in the top 2 rounds. They'll take you on your phys attributes alone. How many "projects" went in the first round this year? I would venture to guess around 6 or 7...

Well, there are people who DO have to kick *** to get to the nfl. But it's true that if you have ideal measurables, you have a great chance at being a high draft pick. But really, it's not that different than high school recruiting. There are 5-star guys who got that rating mostly on measurables that get to college and fail because they don't have the motivation to work either on their game or in the classroom. Sure-thing Adrian Petersons don't come along very often.

Soonerjeepman
6/4/2013, 10:04 AM
Well, there are people who DO have to kick *** to get to the nfl. But it's true that if you have ideal measurables, you have a great chance at being a high draft pick. But really, it's not that different than high school recruiting. There are 5-star guys who got that rating mostly on measurables that get to college and fail because they don't have the motivation to work either on their game or in the classroom. Sure-thing Adrian Petersons don't come along very often.

Martin for KU?, just got busted for theft...5 star guy out of HS, been to 3 D1 schools, and juco...hasn't played much..none for ku and already arrested AGAIN. That is an example of a 5 star guy that doesn't have the motivation.

sooneron
6/4/2013, 02:21 PM
I bet the cowboys would take a chance on him! :D

EatLeadCommie
6/4/2013, 02:28 PM
The guy worked to get his grades up so he could come to OU. I think it's a bit premature to question his work ethic before he has even set foot on campus. He's a Sooner and gets the benefit of the doubt until demonstrated otherwise

8timechamps
6/4/2013, 08:16 PM
The guy worked to get his grades up so he could come to OU. I think it's a bit premature to question his work ethic before he has even set foot on campus. He's a Sooner and gets the benefit of the doubt until demonstrated otherwise

Fair point, I'm assuming he's going to be an animal

Collier11
6/4/2013, 08:24 PM
I don't think it is ever fair to label any player until they get here and show us something, the kid wants to be at OU and has never said otherwise so anyone who is questioning his motives needs to chill unless they have spoken to him personally

Ruf/Nek7
6/5/2013, 11:02 AM
I don't think it is ever fair to label any player until they get here and show us something, the kid wants to be at OU and has never said otherwise so anyone who is questioning his motives needs to chill unless they have spoken to him personally

Let me guess, another personal attack to me? Apparently you didn't follow this kid very well as he was openly seeking sec schools but did not meet academic requirements. It is a simple thought, was OU his favorite or did he settle?

Collier11
6/5/2013, 06:37 PM
I didn't say one word about you, guilty conscience? In fact, I never said anything personal against you, you are the one who came after me previously in private which caused me to respond to you in private, NTIM. This was a general statement towards the thread

and just so you don't get all huffy, I have no problem with you or anyone on this board so calm er down

8timechamps
6/5/2013, 10:59 PM
I didn't say one word about you, guilty conscience? In fact, I never said anything personal against you, you are the one who came after me previously in private which caused me to respond to you in private, NTIM. This was a general statement towards the thread

and just so you don't get all huffy, I have no problem with you or anyone on this board so calm er down

Oh yeah, well you and me...after school...in the parking lot!

MyT Oklahoma
6/6/2013, 01:06 AM

^^ Agreed.

Collier11
6/6/2013, 06:09 PM
Oh yeah, well you and me...after school...in the parking lot!

you still tryin to kick me in the back of the head?

8timechamps
6/6/2013, 08:28 PM
you still tryin to kick me in the back of the head?

Like a ninja!

However, since SicEm told me you were a big guy, I may just have to sucker punch you in the knee and run away...

8timechamps
6/6/2013, 08:46 PM
It's been reported that Russell will be eligible to enroll at OU in the fall if he completes one core class over the summer. Let's hope he can take care of that, as I think he is definitely needed, and could be a starter at some point next year.

Widescreen
6/7/2013, 06:58 AM
It's been reported that Russell will be eligible to enroll at OU in the fall if he completes one core class over the summer. Let's hope he can take care of that, as I think he is definitely needed, and could be a starter at some point next year.

That figures. It had previously been reported that he was all done and enrolling at OU within the week. These things just never seem to go smoothly and getting to the truth of it is really difficult.

ouwasp
6/7/2013, 11:56 AM

<sigh> More of the same ol', same ol'...

Soonerfan88
6/7/2013, 12:38 PM

Are you talking about Russell or Huggins? I haven't seen anything about Russell not making it but Huggins is still a big question mark.

8timechamps
6/7/2013, 05:58 PM
Are you talking about Russell or Huggins? I haven't seen anything about Russell not making it but Huggins is still a big question mark.

Damnit, I was talking about Higgins! Thanks for correcting that.

Sorry gang, I can't keep my "not quite academically eligible" defensive tackles straight.

Ruf/Nek7
6/7/2013, 07:03 PM
Damnit, I was talking about Higgins! Thanks for correcting that.

Sorry gang, I can't keep my "not quite academically eligible" defensive tackles straight.

That is great news since it did not look promising for a while. One summer class is not nearly as bad as it could have been.

Collier11
6/7/2013, 07:19 PM
Yea, Russell is in from what I have heard...Huggins is close

8timechamps
6/7/2013, 09:21 PM
That is great news since it did not look promising for a while. One summer class is not nearly as bad as it could have been.

It really is good news, I just kind of ruined the delivery by confusing him with Russell.

Anyway, Higgins is a kid that could see serious playing time if he can get to Norman. There is an ever increasing chance that next year's DT situation could end up pretty darn good. Who would have thought that 6 months ago?

Collier11
6/7/2013, 09:24 PM
kinda like our WRs last summer, remember that debacle and then how well it turned out

REDREX
6/14/2013, 11:07 AM
Have we had a sighting of Quincy

sooneron
6/14/2013, 11:17 AM
ANyone that can fall down and manage to trip someone would be an improvement over where we were 6 months ago! I look forward to some results outta these kids.

8timechamps
6/14/2013, 04:20 PM
Have we had a sighting of Quincy

There was a rumor out about a week ago that he was going to be in Norman for the summer session, that didn't pan out. We're about a month away from players showing up for 2013, so it won't be too long before we know absolutely.

hawaii 5-0
6/14/2013, 04:36 PM
A DT with a good work ethic could be a star from the get-go.

It's been too long.

5-0