PDA

View Full Version : Poll -- Worst Chain Pizza Joint

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2013, 03:38 PM
The worst tasting chain pizza. What say you?

sooner_born_1960
5/29/2013, 03:39 PM
Domino's

Tulsa_Fireman
5/29/2013, 03:39 PM
All of the above. Seriously.

Chain pizza is ***.

Lott's Bandana
5/29/2013, 03:40 PM
Papa Cardboard John's

I keep trying, they keep failing.

Tulsa_Fireman
5/29/2013, 03:43 PM
This is pizza. The best I ever had. Nestled next to the beautiful Sicilian mob retirement capitol of Steubenville, OH, in a quiet burg known as Wintersville.

http://www.heraldstaronline.com/photos/map/lg/121_1.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/403432_390875364283421_1289238639_n.jpg

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2013, 03:43 PM
Dominos is the correct answer.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/29/2013, 03:56 PM
Papa Cardboard John's

I keep trying, they keep failing.certainly not near the top, but in Arizona, Peter Piper Pizza is TOTAL fail. It's the only pizza I have had that I DIDN'T LIKE!

5/29/2013, 03:58 PM
All of the above. Seriously.

Chain pizza is ***.I like Pizza Hut, even today's Pizzas Hut, pretty well. Get the pan pizza, and insist they load it up. Refuse to pay if they don't.

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2013, 03:59 PM
certainly not near the top, but in Arizona, Peter Piper Pizza is TOTAL fail. It's the only pizza I have had that I DIDN'T LIKE!
Never ate at Peter Piper, but there is one in Waco. Never ate there because it looked way too much like CiCi's pizza. I didn't include either one in my poll because neither are worthy of even being called 'pizza.'

Also, they are buffets and I refuse to eat from a buffet.

5/29/2013, 04:01 PM
Never ate at Peter Piper, but there is one in Waco. Never ate there because it looked way too much like CiCi's pizza. I didn't include either one in my poll because neither are worthy of even being called 'pizza.'

Also, they are buffets and I refuse to eat from a buffet.I haven't been in a Peter Piper in so long that I have no idea if the ones around AZ are buffet or not.

sooner_born_1960
5/29/2013, 04:03 PM
Domino's

Dominos is the correct answer.

Little Caesars is right there with them.

5/29/2013, 04:08 PM
...I refuse to eat from a buffet.Pls elaborate.

Tulsa_Fireman
5/29/2013, 04:09 PM
What if it was a VAGINA buffet?

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2013, 04:10 PM
Pls elaborate.
Well, I avoid eating from buffets.

What if it was a VAGINA buffet?
The 'sniff test' would be the determining factor on that one.

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2013, 04:11 PM
Little Caesars is right there with them.
I like LC just for the breadsticks, but the pizza is decidedly 'meh.'

The next worst on that list, for me, is Pizza Hut followed by LC.

My favorite on there is Mazzios followed by Pizza Inn (though I don't eat from their buffet).

Tulsa_Fireman
5/29/2013, 04:14 PM
If you can get someone at Pizza Inn to hook you up, they make a bad *** pie.

5/29/2013, 04:16 PM
Well, I avoid eating from buffets.

You call that elaboration?...even if you do, 'splain a bit.

KantoSooner
5/29/2013, 04:16 PM
Chuck E. Cheese

Thread over.

(though Papa John's is only marginally better)

5/29/2013, 04:25 PM
the old Shakeys used to be pretty dang good. Unique, but good.

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2013, 04:27 PM
You call that elaboration?...even if you do, 'splain a bit.

I think the idea of eating food that has been in the open air for people (especially kids) to breathe on, spit in, sneeze in, touch, and poke through is absolutely disgusting. They are bacterial incubation chambers. That's not to say kitchen staff doesn't **** with the food, but there are fewer kitchen staff to be concerned with than the general public. Buffets are disgusting, and I absolutely will not eat from one.

HOWEVER, I will eat from a "cafeteria style" place.

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2013, 04:32 PM
My favorite pizza place is this kind of eccentric little locally owned joint in Waco called "Poppa Rollos." Inside is a bit...weird...the decor is something like you might have seen at the old Crystal's in Tulsa only without the arcade. They eevn have a banquet room that is hidden behind a "speak easy" door along with a separate bar area.

The pizza though is sooooooooo good. They use the highest quality of ingredients which makes things a tad more expensive, but well worth it. I would get a Pepperoni, Mushroom, and Green Pepper pizza.

If you're ever down there for a game or something then you absolutely can't go wrong by eating there. It's what you'd call a "Baylor" joint....our version of Hideaway (only, unlike Hideaway, it doesn't taste like ****).

http://www.popparollos.com/

5/29/2013, 04:34 PM
I think the idea of eating food that has been in the open air for people (especially kids) to breathe on, spit in, sneeze in, touch, and poke through is absolutely disgusting. They are bacterial incubation chambers. That's not to say kitchen staff doesn't **** with the food, but there are fewer kitchen staff to be concerned with than the general public. Buffets are disgusting, and I absolutely will not eat from one.

As I expected. Try to get the pizza when they first bring it out, and bump the little snot-noses out of the way. Tell their moms it was an accident, and junior shouldn't be there in your space, anyway.

olevetonahill
5/29/2013, 04:51 PM
Im with ya Sic on the Not eatin from a buffet . However theres only 3 pizza joints around here and Simple simon is the worst I refuse to eat at Pizza hut for personal reasons , Mazzios is the Only place worth eating at .Course I only eat pizza maybe ever couple a years.

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2013, 04:57 PM
Im with ya Sic on the Not eatin from a buffet . However theres only 3 pizza joints around here and Simple simon is the worst I refuse to eat at Pizza hut for personal reasons , Mazzios is the Only place worth eating at .Course I only eat pizza maybe ever couple a years.

I used to love Simple Simons but sometime around 1999ish, they changed their recipe and now I just can't stand it. Dominos also changed their recipe, but I haven't tried them since then.

I base the taste of pizza largely on the crust. The crust has to be good or it ruins everything else.

Midtowner
5/29/2013, 04:59 PM
Pizza Inn still exists?

I mean the worst is Little Ceasar's, but it's cheap. I can feed 40-50 folks for > $100 on Monday nights.

5/29/2013, 05:01 PM
A chain i haven't seen around in a while is Pizzeria Uno, Chicag based i think. Not a lot of good comes from Chicago these days, but they made/make a FINE pizza, Chicago style deep dish, with the meat and cheese about an inch thick. 2 pieces of a medium can fill you up.

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2013, 05:02 PM
Pizza Inn still exists?

I mean the worst is Little Ceasar's, but it's cheap. I can feed 40-50 folks for > $100 on Monday nights.
Oh yeah they still exist, they are all over this area and plenty of them throughout the deep south. Vicksburg had one that was particularly delicious.

Pizza Inn is actually pretty good. Although this is really really weird but the Pizza Inn here in Muskogee calls their deep-dish pizza a "New York style pizza." Now, a New York style pizza is a big thin-crusted pizza....Chicago style pizza is deep-dish. They have it ***-backward.

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2013, 05:03 PM
A chain i haven't seen around in a while is Pizzeria Uno, Chicag based i think. Not a lot of good comes from Chicago these days, but they made/make a FINE pizza, Chicago style deep dish, with the meat and cheese about an inch thick. 2 pieces of a medium can fill you up.
There was one a loooong time ago in Tulsa. I have faint memories of eating there and based upon what I remember, it was pretty good. They still exist, but I haven't seen one since Tulsa which was probably in the late 80's or so.

cleller
5/29/2013, 05:11 PM
There was one a loooong time ago in Tulsa. I have faint memories of eating there and based upon what I remember, it was pretty good. They still exist, but I haven't seen one since Tulsa which was probably in the late 80's or so.

Not so fast, Zima-boy. It was definitely NOT a "loooong time ago", because it was well after I was grown, married, a parent, and all that. Fairly recent, in other words.

Seriously, it was a big hit for a few years there at Eton Square (61st and Memorial), when briefly that was a pretty "in" place. Last time I remember going there would have been around 1995. (?)

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2013, 05:16 PM
Not so fast, Zima-boy. It was definitely NOT a "loooong time ago", because it was well after I was grown, married, a parent, and all that. Fairly recent, in other words.

Seriously, it was a big hit for a few years there at Eton Square (61st and Memorial), when briefly that was a pretty "in" place. Last time I remember going there would have been around 1995. (?)
It was there longer than I thought then.

5/29/2013, 05:18 PM

Seriously, it(Pizzeria Uno) was a big hit for a few years there at Eton Square (61st and Memorial), when briefly that was a pretty "in" place. Last time I remember going there would have been around 1995. (?)There was one on the west side of Lewis in Tulsa, just a ways north of 61st. street as well, in the 80's. It was in an Old English looking strip mall. (London Square?)I guess it's not there any more, huh?

cleller
5/29/2013, 05:40 PM
There was one on the west side of Lewis in Tulsa, just a ways north of 61st. street as well, in the 80's. I guess it's not there any more, huh?

Hmmm. One of us is getting the blank slate on this one.

Could you be thinking of Mondo's, when they moved up to 5900 S Lewis from their old location at 61st and Peoria? In the early-mid 80s Mondos was at 1100 E 61 St, on the south side, maintaining their loyal following despite the neighborhood going to crap.
Sometime around the early 90s, they moved and upgraded everything to that place around 5900 S Lewis. Very nice, a lot like Zio's would become. Very popular for several years, but they finally died out to the corporate chains, too.

Remember the Italian Inn that was just north, in the London South center for many years? Small, family-owned restaurant that also closed in the early 90s, like lots of those type of places.

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2013, 05:42 PM
So what's the best locally owned pizza in Tulsa currently?

cleller
5/29/2013, 05:47 PM

Most of the non-chain folks would probably say either The Pie Hole around 2800 E 15th or Umberto's at 21st and Harvard.

Umberto's may be the winner, pretty solid place:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/58/631484/restaurant/Expo-Square/Umbertos-Pizza-Tulsa

If Mario's is still there around 51 and Harvard, they are pretty good.

BillyBall
5/29/2013, 05:48 PM

They are still here in Chicago/Chicagoland area, the original still stands.

Scott D
5/29/2013, 06:02 PM
Pizzaria Uno has become more franchise based I believe. The one closest to me has turned into an Aubree's, next closest one I can think of is still around because it's in a massive outlet mall. The one in NJ near my folks is a Pizzaria Uno Brewery.

5/29/2013, 06:07 PM
They are still here in Chicago/Chicagoland area, the original still stands.yum! Get their recipes and PM me!

Scott D
5/29/2013, 06:08 PM
And Little Caesars is by far the worst "pizza" known to mankind. Sawdust is not pizza.

5/29/2013, 06:11 PM
And Little Caesars is by far the worst "pizza" known to mankind. Sawdust is not pizza.They must give out bad vibes or something. I don't remember ever eating a Little Caesars, nor have i been tempted to call them and order. These are the most reviews i've ever heard. thnx for the warnings.

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2013, 06:23 PM
They must give out bad vibes or something. I don't remember ever eating a Little Caesars, nor have i been tempted to call them and order. These are the most reviews i've ever heard. thnx for the warnings.
Their breadsticks are delicious.

Scott D
5/29/2013, 06:24 PM
Their breadsticks are the only thing they should make.

cleller
5/29/2013, 06:52 PM
REAL Sooners all know who had the best breadsticks.

If you never had Pinocchio's breadsticks in Norman, you have not ascended to a worthy level of Soonerness.

C&CDean
5/29/2013, 08:03 PM
First, they all suck.

Second, I've eaten them all multiple times - most recently Mazzio's in Pauls Valley. Their salad bar is actually pretty decent, but their fakey little holes in the crust that looks like a White Castle rip off pizza is not good. At all.

Third, and most important, all you troglodytes shouting the praises of Chicago "pizza" are nimrods. That deep dish horse**** you get up there is the suck...unless you're going out for pizza casserole. It's good for that, but as pizza goes, thick/heavy/gooey/nasty bready crap is not pizza. New York style pizza is pizza. Chicago crap is bread with a little stuff on top.

Fourth, anybody who goes somewhere for the breadsticks is whack. Globs of ****ing dough? Why? I've spent my life trying to get away from worthless carbs, and y'all are seeking them out. WTF? They ain't even good. The sauce/cheese/meat/veggies are where it's at, and the thinner/less intrusive the crust/dough is all the better.

GDC
5/29/2013, 09:14 PM
http://video.omaha.com/emarketing/OWH/Daily_Deal/Graphics/Godfathers_graphic.jpg

SanJoaquinSooner
5/29/2013, 09:30 PM
I have no idea. I buy pizza from places I like.

Breadburner
5/30/2013, 12:14 AM
Pizza Inn...Sucks....!!!

KantoSooner
5/30/2013, 08:59 AM
First, they all suck.

Second, I've eaten them all multiple times - most recently Mazzio's in Pauls Valley. Their salad bar is actually pretty decent, but their fakey little holes in the crust that looks like a White Castle rip off pizza is not good. At all.

Third, and most important, all you troglodytes shouting the praises of Chicago "pizza" are nimrods. That deep dish horse**** you get up there is the suck...unless you're going out for pizza casserole. It's good for that, but as pizza goes, thick/heavy/gooey/nasty bready crap is not pizza. New York style pizza is pizza. Chicago crap is bread with a little stuff on top.

Fourth, anybody who goes somewhere for the breadsticks is whack. Globs of ****ing dough? Why? I've spent my life trying to get away from worthless carbs, and y'all are seeking them out. WTF? They ain't even good. The sauce/cheese/meat/veggies are where it's at, and the thinner/less intrusive the crust/dough is all the better.

You sir, are correct. My quibble is you don't take it far enough. The crust must be thin, but there is a fine line between a true thin crust and a cracker crust. While I like both, the cracker crust is a bit of a cop out.
And, ambrosial as buying a slice on the street in lower Manhattan can be, New York pizza in no way holds a candle to Boston pizza which is truly the food of The Gods.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/30/2013, 12:45 PM
Chuck E. Cheese

Thread over.

I'll raise you with a CiCi's... Was there once not by choice...

5/30/2013, 01:06 PM
Dean, you oughta try Pizzeria Uno sometime, if you get to where the city has them. In my recollection, their crust is NOT thick and/or doughy. The meat and cheese however, is mega-thick, and delicious.

5/30/2013, 01:08 PM
I don't know how Peter Piper has stayed in business all these years, especially since some much better places have folded.

badger
5/30/2013, 01:11 PM
Remember Cate Center cafeteria pizza? I ate it once as a prospective OU student. I got sick from it. I NEVER ATE IT AGAIN as a student at OU :mad:

Boomer.....
5/30/2013, 01:21 PM
I actually think Domino's is one of the better pizza joints since they improved their ingredients and crust a couple of years ago. Papa John's is solid also. I'm not a big fan of Mazzio's.

KantoSooner
5/30/2013, 01:37 PM
I don't know if they qualify as a pizza 'chain' but Papa Murphys make a pretty decent pie. You do have to home bake it, though.

SoonerAtKU
5/30/2013, 01:58 PM
If you ever come to St. Louis, do not fall for any of their traps. St. Louis style pizza is, without exception, the worst example of pizza ever foisted on an innocent public. The cheese is this processed mess of crap that ends up looking and tasting like Elmer's glue if you emptied half a bottle onto your desk and let it halfway solidify. It gets this yellowy skin on top and it melts so well that it encases all of the toppings, ensuring that if you take a bite, every last bit is going to slide off of the crust and decorate your chin.

**** an Imo's. **** a Stefanina's. **** a Cecil Whittaker's.

Any of the bad pizzas you've had from the chains you mentioned are manna from heaven compared to the horse**** they shovel in the Gateway to the West.

Pizza Shuttle for life. BBQ chicken, garlic bread, four cokes. Share with a friend or just wait until midnight and finish the rest.

Curly Bill
5/30/2013, 02:34 PM
Dean is a pizza snob! Who'd a thunk it?

Boomer.....
5/30/2013, 03:17 PM
Dean is a pizza snob! Who'd a thunk it?

Don't get him started about fast food messican.

SicEmBaylor
5/30/2013, 03:53 PM
I'll raise you with a CiCi's... Was there once not by choice...
My HS swim coach would take us to eat at CiCis after EVERY single meet for four years. My old USA swimming coach would take us out to steak after ever meet...not so with my HS coach. It was f'n CiCi's every single time.

God, I hated that place but I was so damned hungry I ate it anyway. After 5 minutes of sitting out the cheese would completely harden and actually meld to the crust in one of the strongest chemical bonds known to mankind.

SicEmBaylor
5/30/2013, 03:55 PM
Don't get him started about fast food messican.

His opinion on that subject is obviously invalid given his low opinion of Taco Bueno which is pretty much the greatest fast food place ever invented.

KantoSooner
5/30/2013, 03:57 PM
Nein, nein, that would be Taco Mayo.

SicEmBaylor
5/30/2013, 04:03 PM
Nein, nein, that would be Taco Mayo.

I walked into a Taco May once. Just once. The smell was so putrid that I turned around and walked out. That is the first and only time in my life I've walked into a restaurant and walked out without eating because of the smell.

cleller
5/30/2013, 05:15 PM
If you ever come to St. Louis, do not fall for any of their traps. St. Louis style pizza is, without exception, the worst example of pizza ever foisted on an innocent public. The cheese is this processed mess of crap that ends up looking and tasting like Elmer's glue if you emptied half a bottle onto your desk and let it halfway solidify. It gets this yellowy skin on top and it melts so well that it encases all of the toppings, ensuring that if you take a bite, every last bit is going to slide off of the crust and decorate your chin.

**** an Imo's. **** a Stefanina's. **** a Cecil Whittaker's.

Any of the bad pizzas you've had from the chains you mentioned are manna from heaven compared to the horse**** they shovel in the Gateway to the West.

Pizza Shuttle for life. BBQ chicken, garlic bread, four cokes. Share with a friend or just wait until midnight and finish the rest.

I had no idea there was a St. Louis style pizza until I stopped over one night. I asked the hotel clerk what they liked, I think it was the Imo's. Horrible. Bad enough that even after having no food for 10 hours, I could only choke down about 1 piece. Resorted to chips and fruit I had with me.

SicEmBaylor
5/30/2013, 05:17 PM
I had never heard of St. Louis style pizza until this thread. I did a GIS and it looks horrible.

5/30/2013, 05:27 PM
I walked into a Taco May once. Just once. The smell was so putrid that I turned around and walked out. That is the first and only time in my life I've walked into a restaurant and walked out without eating because of the smell.I had same experience with Taco Bell. I refuse to enter their buildings.

hawaii 5-0
5/30/2013, 06:05 PM
First, they all suck.

Ding ! Ding !

I don't want a big mouthful of tasteless dough and cheep cheese. I prefer a New York style pie.

I loved Toto's in Norman........around 2am.

5-0

FirstandGoal
5/30/2013, 06:33 PM

HOWEVER, I will eat from a "cafeteria style" place.

This times a million.
Back when my son used to play soccer it never failed that the whole team would want to adjourn to Ci-Ci's after a game. The only thing more disgusting than adults at a buffet are kids at a pizza buffet.
If your goal is to expose your child to every microbe in your city in order to boost their immunity, this might not be a bad plan, but the yuck factor is pretty high. I consider myself someone who has a fairly well-developed immune system after over 25 years working in a pharmacy and even I would be scared to go near that nasty buffet.

Seriously, every single man, woman and child should be made to take a microbiology course. I promise you will never look at the world the same again.

sooneron
5/30/2013, 06:56 PM
Having had the best pizza in the US of A , pretty much all of them suck. Papa John's is really horrific.

okiewaker
5/30/2013, 08:35 PM
If they're not slinging dough in the air when I walk in,,,then they all fall in average to very below average IMO. However, IMO CC's is rolled out wet newspaper. And,,their fake azz rigatoni is flat out nasty,,,,,all that crusty tomato sauce around the edges of the container.

C&CDean
5/30/2013, 09:42 PM
Having had the best pizza in the US of A , pretty much all of them suck. Papa John's is really horrific.

Where you live you can hit pretty much any corner pizzeria and get killer pie. The food up there is the only thing that would ever make me consider living up there. Cheesesteaks, Italian, seafood, etc. I'm hungry now.

ouradu
5/30/2013, 09:52 PM
what's the best pizza in okc metro?

Boomer.....
5/31/2013, 07:35 AM
For nicer pizza joints, I like The Wedge in the Deep Deuce or Upper Crust in Classen Curve.

thecrimsoncrusader
5/31/2013, 08:02 AM

Mario's (sour dough Sicilian crust is the biz!) and Stavasanos (sp?).

FirstandGoal
6/1/2013, 09:38 AM
For nicer pizza joints, I like The Wedge in the Deep Deuce or Upper Crust in Classen Curve.

These are both good choices.

Also there is Joe's pizza in Edmond.

BudSooner
6/1/2013, 11:02 AM
When we were kids, Tulsa had Irish Mike Clancys at 11th&Mingo..that was amazing pizza and so was Shotgun Sams on Sheridan south of 15th street.
That was some damn good pie from both places!

8timechamps
6/1/2013, 11:58 PM
We don't have Simple Simon, so I had to exclude them from my list. For me, it's Pizza Hut buy a big margin, then the rest. The last two times I ordered pizza from pizza hut, every pizza tasted the exact same way. Like; the sausage and mushroom pizza tasted exactly like the Ham and banana pepper pizza. I don't mean "sorta" alike, or "I guess I can see some resemblance"....I'm taking 100% the same. Even if you disregard that, the taste wasn't that great either. For the first time in my adult life, I actually thought "I'd be better off buying a Digornio pizza from the grocery store.

Dominoes wasn't as bad, but it is starting down the same rabbit hole. So, when pizza is the preferred meal at my house, we go to Papa Murphys take and bake. Cheaper, bigger and so much better tasting. The only "downside" is that you have to pick it up/no deliveries, and you have to bake it.

Food in the US, in general, has begun to fall. Cheap ingredients, poor new menu item development, price, and more. Maybe it's because I'm not 25 anymore, but I think it could be that my tastes have changed. If I go into your restaurant, and you charge me $8 for a 1/4 hamburger, I do not want to eat a frozen patty. ....anyway, I'm stepping down off my soapbox now.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

okiewaker
6/2/2013, 12:31 AM
Actually,,I prefer a Digornio or Red Baron frozen pizza over the well covered chain pizza places. Also,,Chuck E Cheese pizza is equally as bad as CC's,,,probly worse.

olevetonahill
6/2/2013, 12:35 AM
Actually,,I prefer a Digornio or Red Baron frozen pizza over the well covered chain pizza places. Also,,Chuck E Cheese pizza is equally as bad as CC's,,,probly worse.

The ONLY reason a grown up should ever eat that crap from Chuck E is because their Child or young Grandchild wants their Birthday party there, and If you ever have to go back for a second time Eat BEFORE you get there

SicEmBaylor
6/2/2013, 12:40 AM
I've never heard of adults just ordering pizza at Chuck E. Cheese. In fact, the idea of adults going to Chuck E. Cheese just to eat is kidn of....well f'n creepy. :D

6/2/2013, 12:42 AM
I've had good luck with Pizza Hut here in PHX. Get the large pan, with quadruple beef and regular on mushroom & gren pepper, for 10.00 on special. Tastes good, and not pricey.

okiewaker
6/2/2013, 01:19 AM
Yeah well I have a kid and went there for his birthday and the pizza was not very good.

8timechamps
6/2/2013, 02:11 PM
Yeah well I have a kid and went there for his birthday and the pizza was not very good.

The sacrifices you make for your kids.

I was just telling my boys how bad the food was at Casa Bonita, and that someday, they will be able to enjoy that experience as an adult. They were so surprised, as they remembered it being great.

olevetonahill
6/2/2013, 02:35 PM

I was just telling my boys how bad the food was at Casa Bonita, and that someday, they will be able to enjoy that experience as an adult. They were so surprised, as they remembered it being great.

Dint it close? or is that some other beaner joint?

cleller
6/2/2013, 02:54 PM

I gotta say, I loved Casa Bonita. When I was a teenager (late 70s), about twice a year we'd make the trek to Casa. Usually once to OKC, and once to Tulsa. As rural kids, it was the only real opportunity back then that we had to eat Mexican food, so it was a big event. I never got tired of it. Ate till I could hardly speak every time.

The first house I bought in Tulsa was about a mile from Casa Bonita, and I still loved it. We went there 3-4 times a year all the way up to the 90s, when we moved. I believe thats when it REALLY started to drop off.

Soonerfan88
6/2/2013, 06:06 PM
I have to echo the disgust for STL pizza. Everyone around here raved about Imo's when I moved in so tried it once - will never try it again.

Of those listed, I like both Domino's and Papa John's best.

SicEmBaylor
6/2/2013, 06:17 PM
I gotta say, I loved Casa Bonita. When I was a teenager (late 70s), about twice a year we'd make the trek to Casa. Usually once to OKC, and once to Tulsa. As rural kids, it was the only real opportunity back then that we had to eat Mexican food, so it was a big event. I never got tired of it. Ate till I could hardly speak every time.

The first house I bought in Tulsa was about a mile from Casa Bonita, and I still loved it. We went there 3-4 times a year all the way up to the 90s, when we moved. I believe thats when it REALLY started to drop off.
Loved Casa Bonita and Krystal's but especially Casa Bonita.

I used to have a tradition of eating at Casa Bonita after every one of my non-USAS/pre-HS swim meets. Good times.

SicEmBaylor
6/2/2013, 06:19 PM
Also, not sure if anyone remembers but Chuck E. Cheese used to be called "Showbiz Pizza" featuring those animatronic robots...one of those robots was Chuck E. Cheese, so they renamed the place and centered everything around a rat. Perfect mascot for a restaurant.

Eielson
6/2/2013, 06:34 PM
Little Caesar's sucks, but it's the cheapest. Mazzio sucks, and it's not cheap.

SoonerAtKU
6/5/2013, 12:34 PM
Showbiz and Chuck E. Cheese were actually competitors at the time, and they merged after Charles filed Chapter 11.

KantoSooner
6/5/2013, 12:42 PM
Wonder bread, smeared with off-brand ketchup, topped with velveeta, undercooked = Chuck E. Cheese 'pizza'

Given a choice between that and a dog turd, I'd probably have to ask what the dog had been eating.

olevetonahill
6/5/2013, 12:51 PM
Wonder bread, smeared with off-brand ketchup, topped with velveeta, undercooked = Chuck E. Cheese 'pizza'

Given a choice between that and a dog turd, I'd probably have to ask what the dog had been eating.

lol

FirstandGoal
6/5/2013, 01:20 PM
Jeez, really glad I decided to read this right before making some lunch.

KantoSooner
6/5/2013, 01:49 PM
the title alone should have warned you away....

just saying.

rock on sooner
6/5/2013, 03:35 PM

How'd you know to make that comparison?:smile:

KantoSooner
6/5/2013, 03:49 PM
I couldn't think of anything I've actually eaten, including deep fried cockroaches, lutefisk or or underdone calf fries that is quite as bad as the Chuckmeister's pies.

8timechamps
6/5/2013, 05:52 PM
Dint it close? or is that some other beaner joint?

I don't know if the one in Tulsa is still open, but the one here in Denver is (sadly) still in business. I'm just glad my kids are too old to want to go there.

SicEmBaylor
6/5/2013, 05:54 PM
I don't know if the one in Tulsa is still open, but the one here in Denver is (sadly) still in business. I'm just glad my kids are too old to want to go there.
The Tulsa one has been closed for some time.

I really loved Casa Bonita. The food was decidedly 'meh' though which is a shame because, given its atmosphere, the place could have been something really special and great.

8timechamps
6/5/2013, 05:55 PM

Loved Casa Bonita and Krystal's but especially Casa Bonita.

I used to have a tradition of eating at Casa Bonita after every one of my non-USAS/pre-HS swim meets. Good times.

You know, when I was younger, I loved the food there. Either it went way down hill, or I thought the food was better than it way. The last time I ate there (probably 5 years ago), I got sick the same night. It could have been coincidence, but probably not. I will say that their sopapilla's were good.

SicEmBaylor
6/5/2013, 05:58 PM
You know, when I was younger, I loved the food there. Either it went way down hill, or I thought the food was better than it way. The last time I ate there (probably 5 years ago), I got sick the same night. It could have been coincidence, but probably not. I will say that their sopapilla's were good.
The food went down hill.

8timechamps
6/5/2013, 11:12 PM
Does anyone remember Shotgun Sams in OKC? The only one I remember was on Penn (almost to lake Hefner). We always had out baseball parties there, and I remember the pizza being great. Now, I wonder if it was really that good, or I was just young.

KantoSooner
6/6/2013, 09:04 AM
The Tulsa one has been closed for some time.

I really loved Casa Bonita. The food was decidedly 'meh' though which is a shame because, given its atmosphere, the place could have been something really special and great.

Sic Em, You're confusing me, now. You say you can't even bear the smell of Taco Mayo and yet you like Casa Bonita?!? The place was, at its apex, a run down Disney A ticket attraction with 'TexMex' as prepared by school cafeteria cooks in Ohio. My family used to get the cousins together for a big dinner there once a summer. I was embarassed to go into the place and could barely swallow the 'food'. What do you remember as being so muy sabrosa?

sooneron
6/6/2013, 10:03 AM
Where you live you can hit pretty much any corner pizzeria and get killer pie. The food up there is the only thing that would ever make me consider living up there. Cheesesteaks, Italian, seafood, etc. I'm hungry now.

Mmmm, John's on Bleecker St. I need to get back there. soon.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3697/8968898127_2d00e5b042_z.jpg

sooneron
6/6/2013, 10:13 AM
Of course, a pilgrimage to New Haven for some Frank Pepe's or Sally's is in order, as well...

http://www.roadfood.com/photos/15977.jpg

http://www.elizabethdorney.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/sallys-apizza-newhaven-03.jpg

KantoSooner
6/6/2013, 03:40 PM
Joe's in Northampton, MA

double cheese, mushroom and linguisa. Accompany with crappy house chianti (probably home made). Heaven on earth.

C&CDean
6/6/2013, 03:48 PM
Joe's in Northampton, MA

double cheese, mushroom and linguisa. Accompany with crappy house chianti (probably home made). Heaven on earth.

Good ol' linguisa. When Father Byrne used to order pizza at the pizza place I worked as a kid he'd order a "large portogee sausage and anchovie pie and a pitcher of Falstaff." He sat there and ate the whole thing, drank the whole pitcher, and always finished with a smelly-assed cigar and a couple glasses of wine. I bet his Sunday morning craps were monumental.

C&CDean
6/6/2013, 03:49 PM
On a sidenote, it freaked me out cause I was raised in a Pilgrim of Holiness/Pentecostal home and if what they were preaching was true, Father Byrne was on the highway to hell going warp speed. Heh.

6/6/2013, 04:12 PM
On a sidenote, it freaked me out cause I was raised in a Pilgrim of Holiness/Pentecostal home and if what they were preaching was true, Father Byrne was on the highway to hell going warp speed. Heh.the Catholics have no problem with many vices. They just don't go for the baby killing much.

olevetonahill
6/6/2013, 04:14 PM
the Catholics have no problem with many vices. They just don't go for the baby killing much.

Or recreational ****ing

6/6/2013, 04:25 PM
Or recreational ****ingNo argument. The Rhythm Method is the only birth control the traditional Catholics espouse.

SicEmBaylor
6/6/2013, 04:25 PM
Or recreational ****ing

Sure they do...just not officially.

sooneron
6/6/2013, 07:20 PM
Joe's in Northampton, MA

Never been there. I've been through a bunch in the past on the way to skiing in VT. I'll have to make a stop next time.

jkjsooner
6/7/2013, 08:35 AM
Seriously, every single man, woman and child should be made to take a microbiology course. I promise you will never look at the world the same again.

Is this Howard Hughes?

I prefer to enjoy my life and not worry about all the microbes that may be on everything I touch. If I get a stomach ailment once every few years then so be it.

KantoSooner
6/7/2013, 08:38 AM
Never been there. I've been through a bunch in the past on the way to skiing in VT. I'll have to make a stop next time.

Just off the main drag. Starting at the front gate of Smith College, go about three blocks to the east and it's to the left, just before an overpass as I recall....but it's been 30 years...
Used to be if you reserved a table in the name of 'Bond, James Bond' they'd give you a free martini when you sat down.

jkjsooner
6/7/2013, 08:51 AM
Also, not sure if anyone remembers but Chuck E. Cheese used to be called "Showbiz Pizza" featuring those animatronic robots...one of those robots was Chuck E. Cheese, so they renamed the place and centered everything around a rat. Perfect mascot for a restaurant.

This thread should have been closed when Kanto said Chuck E Cheese. I went with my nephew and niece a few years ago and it was the worst pizza ever - nasty and cold. Those little microwavable pizzas are better than that.

I remember liking Showbiz Pizza as a kid. I don't know if their pizza was better than Chuck E Cheese or if I was just a kid and didn't know any better. I used to love their big arcade. It seemed that they catered to a little wider age group than Chuck E Cheese but that might just be because arcades were the thing back in the '80s.

My opinions:

1. I'm not a fan of Chicago style pizza. I can probably enjoy it every now and then for what it is but if I want pizza I'm going to avoid it.

2. I like Sbarro. I'm not sure if that's setting me up for ridicule or not... I also like anything I've gotten in NYC.

3. Pizza Hut deserves its own category - especially if you're talking deep dish. It's super greasy and I like it sometimes but it's just so different than anything else.

4. There was an awesome place in DC (Cleveland Park) we used to go to. It was owned by a Italian immigrant husband and wife and run by them and their kids. The pizzas had very little cheese and a fairly thin crust. The weird thing is you had to ask them to cut the pizza for you. I thought that was odd but it was extremely good. Makes me want to go back when we visit next month.

sooneron
6/7/2013, 08:56 AM
OMG, how did I forget Chuck E Cheese? Craptastic!!! Horrible.

8timechamps
6/7/2013, 05:52 PM
This thread should have been closed when Kanto said Chuck E Cheese. I went with my nephew and niece a few years ago and it was the worst pizza ever - nasty and cold. Those little microwavable pizzas are better than that.

I remember liking Showbiz Pizza as a kid. I don't know if their pizza was better than Chuck E Cheese or if I was just a kid and didn't know any better. I used to love their big arcade. It seemed that they catered to a little wider age group than Chuck E Cheese but that might just be because arcades were the thing back in the '80s.

My opinions:

1. I'm not a fan of Chicago style pizza. I can probably enjoy it every now and then for what it is but if I want pizza I'm going to avoid it.

2. I like Sbarro. I'm not sure if that's setting me up for ridicule or not... I also like anything I've gotten in NYC.

3. Pizza Hut deserves its own category - especially if you're talking deep dish. It's super greasy and I like it sometimes but it's just so different than anything else.

4. There was an awesome place in DC (Cleveland Park) we used to go to. It was owned by a Italian immigrant husband and wife and run by them and their kids. The pizzas had very little cheese and a fairly thin crust. The weird thing is you had to ask them to cut the pizza for you. I thought that was odd but it was extremely good. Makes me want to go back when we visit next month.

I think as kids we must have been so enamored by the arcade and animatronic gorilla that we thought the pizza was awesome, because I remember thinking Showbiz had excellent pizza (which I am sure it did not).

SicEmBaylor
6/7/2013, 06:17 PM
I don't think Chuck E. Cheese should even be considered. It isn't even really a legitimate pizza place. Who even goes there to eat? It's an entertainment venue for kids that happens to serve pizza. Nobody goes there just to eat pizza...especially not adults.

Chuck E. Cheese just isn't a pizza place in my book though it does serve pizza (and bad pizza at that).

Salt City Sooner
6/7/2013, 09:42 PM
I used to almost live in Showbiz back in the day, but whether or not the pizza was bad, I have absolutely no clue. I never once made it to the restaurant part of the place.

Punch-out + Joust + Gyruss + Vs. Baseball + Double Dribble + you get the idea = one slightly depleted paycheck. :O

6/10/2013, 12:01 PM
http://content.screencast.com/users/Fantomou/folders/Jing/media/4e446364-1f46-4502-a0f3-7f1854e3624b/00000228.png

KantoSooner
6/10/2013, 04:13 PM
I don't think Chuck E. Cheese should even be considered. It isn't even really a legitimate pizza place. Who even goes there to eat? It's an entertainment venue for kids that happens to serve pizza. Nobody goes there just to eat pizza...especially not adults.

Chuck E. Cheese just isn't a pizza place in my book though it does serve pizza (and bad pizza at that).

You are of course, right. But it was low hanging fruit and, if included, would clearly win. So I went for it.

sooneron
6/11/2013, 01:41 PM

I'm pretty sure the bowling alley that I had to go to (kid's bday party) had the same pizza at CEC. Horrible. Really horrible.

olevetonahill
6/11/2013, 03:49 PM
Have all 3 of my Grandsons. they were hungry so I bot 2 Jumbo Simple Simons. They like it But i think its Crap