PDA

View Full Version : has a POTUS ever asked to send money in for a disaster?

Soonerjeepman
5/27/2013, 09:13 AM
Ok, I'm sure this will ruffle a few feathers. I did not see all of the press on obama's visit, but apparently he asked the American people to donate?

First, I believe a person can do what they want, donate to any cause. I feel for the folks of Oklahoma, have relatives there, suffered some minor damage on the first tornado but nothing horrific.

I'm glad obama went...he should, but to ask the American people to donate? no. To say we will send fed aide, yes...To have other agencies, red cross etc help, yes.

just another little nudge into "spread the wealth...this is everyone's issue..share the responsibility" Honestly, if my house was blown away, I don't expect anyone but my insurance to step up..anything else is extra.

If I was closer, I'd be one of the first down there, so I'm not advocating not helping, just don't think it's the POTUS responsibility to call on other Americans to DONATE $$.

and yes I totally dislike obama, so the libs don't need to tell me that...but I'd say the same if it was ANY POTUS saying this...I don't remember Bush saying we should donate $$ for katrina victims.

yermom
5/27/2013, 09:21 AM
where do you think the Red Cross gets their money?

Midtowner
5/27/2013, 09:26 AM
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Former+Presidents+Clinton+Bush+Make+Trip+Haiti+c52 kUj0Vluil.jpg

Haiti...

rock on sooner
5/27/2013, 09:36 AM
'Well, W asked America to go shopping after 9-11, but I can't remember
a sitting prez asking for donations. Seems odd, but could be because his
writers didn't know what else to say after Newtown, Boston, the fertilizer
plant. Been some tough times for the consoler-in-chief, imo...

soonerhubs
5/27/2013, 12:37 PM
Is it not better to seek voluntary donations to help a nonprofit, instead of using tax money?

SicEmBaylor
5/27/2013, 02:13 PM
Ok, I'm sure this will ruffle a few feathers. I did not see all of the press on obama's visit, but apparently he asked the American people to donate?

First, I believe a person can do what they want, donate to any cause. I feel for the folks of Oklahoma, have relatives there, suffered some minor damage on the first tornado but nothing horrific.

I'm glad obama went...he should, but to ask the American people to donate? no. To say we will send fed aide, yes...To have other agencies, red cross etc help, yes.

just another little nudge into "spread the wealth...this is everyone's issue..share the responsibility" Honestly, if my house was blown away, I don't expect anyone but my insurance to step up..anything else is extra.

If I was closer, I'd be one of the first down there, so I'm not advocating not helping, just don't think it's the POTUS responsibility to call on other Americans to DONATE $$.

and yes I totally dislike obama, so the libs don't need to tell me that...but I'd say the same if it was ANY POTUS saying this...I don't remember Bush saying we should donate $$ for katrina victims.
You have this ***-bacwkard. There is no Federal role in this disaster and FEMA should be disbanded.

It's FAR FAR FAR more appropriate for the American people to call on the private and voluntary generosity of the American people than it is to expect him to fork over unconstitutional Federal aid.

SicEmBaylor
5/27/2013, 02:15 PM
Is it not better to seek voluntary donations to help a nonprofit, instead of using tax money?

YES! Exactly! This is an absurd position for a conservative to take. The suggestion that it's okay for the President to just fork over billions in Federal tax dollars but that somehow it's "spreading the wealth" around for him to ask for private donations is absurd.

Soonerjeepman
5/27/2013, 05:01 PM
didn't say Red Cross doesn't get their money from people donating...no $hit that's how they get it. Didn't say people SHOULDN'T donate or feel the need to donate.

Just don't remember a POTUS actually saying call and donate. I agree with you sic to a point...it's not the federal gov job to cover most of it, if that's the rule for everyone. I have insurance for a reason.

Turd_Ferguson
5/27/2013, 05:55 PM
didn't say Red Cross doesn't get their money from people donating...no $hit that's how they get it. Didn't say people SHOULDN'T donate or feel the need to donate.

Just don't remember a POTUS actually saying call and donate. I agree with you sic to a point...it's not the federal gov job to cover most of it, if that's the rule for everyone. I have insurance for a reason.

Well, you know damn well they're gonna waste the money somewhere. I'd be more in favor of them spending it on somebody that didn't have flood insurance or had let their home owners insurance laps, even though they bust their *** at a job that taxes keep them from hardly making ends meet than to know the money went to some group to find out why most German Shepherds don't like dark skinned people...or some ignernt **** like that.