PDA

View Full Version : THANK YOU!

SicEmBaylor
5/26/2013, 11:13 PM
To the Patriot who laid down his life on fields such as Cowpens to win our nation’s independence from the tyranny of the British monarchy – I say, ‘Thank you!’

To the young volunteers who fell in the swamps behind their cotton bales outside of New Orleans which firmly cemented our recently won independence – I say, “Thank you!”

To the ever brave Confederate soldier who fought barefoot, starving, and died charging up a rocky mound known as “Little Round Top” in the name of his home, his family, his country, and the right of political independence – I say, “Thank you!”

To the doughboy who charged across and died in ‘no man’s land’ at The Somme for British and French interests and in the name of our nation – I say, “Thank you!”

To the GI’s and Marines who paid the ultimate sacrifice to fight evil incarnate across North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Western Europe, and the Pacific – I say, “Thank you!”

To the troops who froze and died attempting to stem the tide of the communist horde at the Chosin Resevoir – I say, “Thank you!”

To the young soldier who stepped foot off his Huey and into the jungle of Vietnam and died at La Drang – I say, “Thank you!”

To the men and women who answered the call to serve in the defense of our nation after 9/11 and who perished defending our nation against radical Islam in the mountains and valleys of Afghanistan and the deserts of Iraq -- I say, “Thank you!”

To all of those who have sacrificed their lives for a cause greater than themselves and for the benefit and protection of their countrymen – I say, “Thank you!”

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/27/2013, 12:06 AM
Ditto. Ours is still a special country with a large contingent of those who have a love and respect for the goals and standards set at our founding, to remain a relatively free and unsubjugated country. May the spirit thrive and strengthen. Thanks and appreciation felt for all who have given their lives in our protection.

diverdog
5/27/2013, 06:42 AM
To the Patriot who laid down his life on fields such as Cowpens to win our nation’s independence from the tyranny of the British monarchy – I say, ‘Thank you!’

To the young volunteers who fell in the swamps behind their cotton bales outside of New Orleans which firmly cemented our recently won independence – I say, “Thank you!”

To the ever brave Confederate soldier who fought barefoot, starving, and died charging up a rocky mound known as “Little Round Top” in the name of his home, his family, his country, and the right of political independence – I say, “Thank you!”

To the doughboy who charged across and died in ‘no man’s land’ at The Somme for British and French interests and in the name of our nation – I say, “Thank you!”

To the GI’s and Marines who paid the ultimate sacrifice to fight evil incarnate across North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Western Europe, and the Pacific – I say, “Thank you!”

To the troops who froze and died attempting to stem the tide of the communist horde at the Chosin Resevoir – I say, “Thank you!”

To the young soldier who stepped foot off his Huey and into the jungle of Vietnam and died at La Drang – I say, “Thank you!”

To the men and women who answered the call to serve in the defense of our nation after 9/11 and who perished defending our nation against radical Islam in the mountains and valleys of Afghanistan and the deserts of Iraq -- I say, “Thank you!”

To all of those who have sacrificed their lives for a cause greater than themselves and for the benefit and protection of their countrymen – I say, “Thank you!”

So in your modern neo confederate view the Union soldier on Little Round Top who was fighting to free slaves or defending his state of Pennsylvania from an invading army does not deserve a thank you?

How about this....just say thank you to ALL the men and women who have served in peace time and war time?

olevetonahill
5/27/2013, 07:49 AM
So in your modern neo confederate view the Union soldier on Little Round Top who was fighting to free slaves or defending his state of Pennsylvania from an invading army does not deserve a thank you?

How about this....just say thank you to ALL the men and women who have served in peace time and war time?
We do that in Nov.

BigTip
5/27/2013, 08:13 AM
A cliche, but true, Freedom isn't Free. Sometimes the cost is great.

Thanks to all those that served.

olevetonahill
5/27/2013, 08:27 AM
A cliche, but true, Freedom isn't Free. Sometimes the cost is great.

Thanks to all those that served.

Some Gave ALL
All gave some.

diverdog
5/27/2013, 08:29 AM
We do that in Nov.

True. I should have said died during while serving. Which brings up a question. Does that include dying in peacetime training exercises?

olevetonahill
5/27/2013, 08:37 AM
True. I should have said died during while serving. Which brings up a question. Does that include dying in peacetime training exercises?

This is Sicems thread, he can Thank whomever he wants.
Far as Im concerned this is the Day to Honor All those who have passed on either in time of war or Peace while wearing the Uniform, Even those who died later as Vet's.

Soonerjeepman
5/27/2013, 08:58 AM
this is the Day to Honor All those who have passed on either in time of war or Peace while wearing the Uniform, Even those who died later as Vet's.

yup...thanks to all..

rock on sooner
5/27/2013, 09:15 AM
Some Gave ALL
All gave some.

Yes sir! Six very eloquent words!

Somehow "thank you" seems inadequate, but, I echo them.

olevetonahill
5/27/2013, 09:21 AM
Yes sir! Six very eloquent words!

Somehow "thank you" seems inadequate, but, I echo them.

I never got hit with a 2x4 but I did get a few splinters.:mushroom:

rock on sooner
5/27/2013, 09:30 AM
I never got hit with a 2x4 but I did get a few splinters.:mushroom:

Welp, be sure and git likkered up before they take out them splinters!:highly_amused:

olevetonahill
5/27/2013, 09:33 AM
Welp, be sure and git likkered up before they take out them splinters!:highly_amused:

Most were removed years ago. I'll tell ya a story some day Maybe.

rock on sooner
5/27/2013, 09:38 AM
Most were removed years ago. I'll tell ya a story some day Maybe.

Were they wood er metal?

olevetonahill
5/27/2013, 09:41 AM
Were they wood er metal?

The 2x4 an splinters was a Metaphor

rock on sooner
5/27/2013, 09:42 AM
The 2x4 an splinters was a Metaphor

Yup, I know , so wuz gittin likkered up...

olevetonahill
5/27/2013, 09:45 AM
Yup, I know , so wuz gittin likkered up...

Heh.

SoonerStormchaser
5/27/2013, 09:58 AM
From those of us who serve, we remember too:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/539650_10101275863446317_1328390816_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/207224_10101275863655897_913059082_n.jpg

rock on sooner
5/27/2013, 10:05 AM
TEN HUT! There's an officer on deck!

olevetonahill
5/27/2013, 10:11 AM
TEN HUT! There's an officer on deck!

That aint No officer, Thats Frag Mag.

SoonerStormchaser
5/27/2013, 10:23 AM

Duuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp!
http://funnydemotivationalposters.com/uploads/saved_posters/demotivational-poster-5ehjbhr0xd-CHAIR-FORCE-CAPTAIN.jpg

SicEmBaylor
5/27/2013, 01:54 PM

Not my country, at the time, therefore not my position to honor them. I dont' mind them being honored but not by me. I don't honor the fallen dead of Belgium, Russia, Canada, Mexico, etc. either.

SoonerStormchaser
5/27/2013, 02:55 PM
Not my country, at the time, therefore not my position to honor them. I dont' mind them being honored but not by me. I don't honor the fallen dead of Belgium, Russia, Canada, Mexico, etc. either.
I do...cause there's a ****ton of em buried with our boys over here in Europe.

8timechamps
5/27/2013, 04:49 PM
While today is the day set aside to honor the fallen, I always send my buddies a "thanks for serving" text today. Maybe it's from my time in the service, but I take every chance I get to thanks the troops.

rock on sooner
5/27/2013, 08:02 PM
IMO, I don't think Sicem has a clue about sacrifice, ulitimate or otherwise.
Serving, even in non combat roles or otherwise, would give anyone a viewpoint
different that what he's talking here.

rock on sooner
5/27/2013, 08:12 PM

Welp, lessee, I aint been in combat, other than some "civil disobedience"
so I don't have tha same feelins that you do bout ossifers. Howsomever,
been around a couple that orta know bout blanket parties, real long term
frozen shift duty er walkin round with unloaded M1 carbines, pertectin a
military installation and not bein allowed to do anything but yell, jus in case
some a**hole wanted ta try ya out...

SicEmBaylor
5/27/2013, 08:15 PM
IMO, I don't think Sicem has a clue about sacrifice, ulitimate or otherwise.
Serving, even in non combat roles or otherwise, would give anyone a viewpoint
different that what he's talking here.

What the **** is wrong with you? Really? I'm trying to say thank you to people who have given more than I ever will and you attack me as not having a clue? Of course I don't have a clue -- that's the point of thanking others who do, you ****ing jack ***. How about you appreciate the sentiment in the way that it was intended and **** off.

Blue
5/27/2013, 08:39 PM
What the **** is wrong with you? Really? I'm trying to say thank you to people who have given more than I ever will and you attack me as not having a clue? Of course I don't have a clue -- that's the point of thanking others who do, you ****ing jack ***. How about you appreciate the sentiment in the way that it was intended and **** off.

Rock on'.

rock on sooner
5/27/2013, 08:47 PM

Nuthin wrong with yer sentiment.

I'm really impressed with your command of three and four letter words.

My issue with you is that you have an problem expressing your thoughts
in a manner other than being a knucklehead...it appears as though no other
viewpoint, besides yours, is correct or workable. Been around more than
one of those, especially mine, thirty years ago, so, understand when I say,
sorry, since I'm red, my spek means nothing, but it should...this opinion is
out front for all to like, dislike or somewhere in between.

SicEmBaylor
5/27/2013, 09:00 PM
Nuthin wrong with yer sentiment.

I'm really impressed with your command of three and four letter words.

My issue with you is that you have an problem expressing your thoughts
in a manner other than being a knucklehead...it appears as though no other
viewpoint, besides yours, is correct or workable. Been around more than
one of those, especially mine, thirty years ago, so, understand when I say,
sorry, since I'm red, my spek means nothing, but it should...this opinion is
out front for all to like, dislike or somewhere in between.

Then you should have made this response to something I posted elsewhere in another thread as opposed this this thread where I'm expressing my thoughts and feelings on Memorial Day.

Congrats on turning a thread for Memorial Day into a ****fest on my opinions instead of taking the chance to echo what I said.

rock on sooner
5/27/2013, 09:13 PM
Then you should have made this response to something I posted elsewhere in another thread as opposed this this thread where I'm expressing my thoughts and feelings on Memorial Day.

Congrats on turning a thread for Memorial Day into a ****fest on my opinions instead of taking the chance to echo what I said.

As I said, it all seems to be your viewpoint.....
And, you have no idea about an echo, none whatsoever.

SoonerStormchaser
5/28/2013, 12:41 AM
Aaaaaaaaand the slapfight continues over on this thread...

diverdog
5/28/2013, 05:08 AM

Sic'em:

The Civil War has been over for a very long time.....in case you have not heard. The modern battlefield parks which I have visited ( and I bet more than anyone on this board) pay equal respect to the courage and sacrifice of the men and women of both sides. The North as victors could have easily portrayed them as traitors but they didn't. The nation has healed and moved forward, the question of the union was settled and the whole mantra of the neo confederate movement should go the way of the dinosaur.

Out of curiosity have you ever visited any of the major battlefields?

SicEmBaylor
5/28/2013, 05:31 AM
Sic'em:

The Civil War has been over for a very long time.....in case you have not heard. The modern battlefield parks which I have visited ( and I bet more than anyone on this board) pay equal respect to the courage and sacrifice of the men and women of both sides. The North as victors could have easily portrayed them as traitors but they didn't. The nation has healed and moved forward, the question of the union was settled and the whole mantra of the neo confederate movement should go the way of the dinosaur.

Out of curiosity have you ever visited any of the major battlefields?

I've been to every single major battlefield and nearly ever minor battlefield you can find between here and Northern Virginia. In fact, I've visited all of them on many occasions....repeatedly. Including every battlefield my Great-Great Grandfather (2nd L.T, 15th Alabama, CO. A) fought upon starting with the Valley campaign under Jackson and all of those through Gettysburg, up Little Round Top, to the surrender, and back to Alabama.

I grew up re-enacting. I was a member of the Children of the Confederacy. I was the Oklahoma 1st Vice President of the Children of the Confederacy. I was the Oklahoma Division President of the Children of the Confederacy. I was the Editor-General of the Children of the Confederacy (national office). I was an Executive Board Member of the Children of the Confederacy, and a silver Jefferson Davis Medal award winner from the United Daughters of the Confederacy for an educational program I put together teaching kids about General Patton's stellar Confederate lineage. I'm a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. I was a camp officer of the Felix B. Robertson SCV camp -- Waco, TX. In all of those organizations and as an office-holder, I participated in countless memorial services at many of those battlefields your speaking of along with adjoining cemeteries, monuments, and I've toured just about every plantation between here and the Atlantic that's open to the public and even quite a few that aren't.

You name a book written on the war, and I've likely read it; although, the military history of the war doesn't interest me so much (I'm much more a WWII buff)...what I've read most extensively about and what I care most about is the political history of the war. Every speech speech in Congress, all the public statements by the relevant figures, every book they wrote, etc. etc. My favorite among them (and what I've studied the most) is Alexander Stephens "A Constitutional View of the Late War Between the States." Alexander Stephens was, IMO, the most brilliant politician in high office from either side....personally, I don't think too much of Davis. In fact, I wrote a rather extensive comparative analysis of Stehens' Constitutional arguments as compared to the debates within the Constitutional Convention, the Federalist Papers, and Madison's own writings for a political philosophy class.

I hope that answers your question -- in short, yes, I'm familiar with the 'major' battlefields.

SicEmBaylor
5/28/2013, 05:46 AM
In any case, I was just trying to say 'thank you' to those who died for my country. I'm sorry this has turned into a thread about me when it should have been reserved for the purpose for which it was intended. If you want to challenge my views then that's just fine, but I wish it had been done in another thread.

There is a hell of a lot that I don't know **** about. I don't know how to change the oil in my car. I don't know how to mow the lawn. I don't know a damned thing about mathematics. My science skills are decidedly average. Growing up, I didn't give a **** about comics. I can't rattle off sports statistics. I hate baseball and basketball. I didn't like football much until I was just getting into college. I can't cook. There is so much that I don't know on so many subjects that I barely know where to begin.

But history and political philosophy are two exceptions. Those have been in my wheel house since I learned to sound out the alphabet. I definitely don't know everything (nobody does), but when I say something on those two subjects you can rest assured that it comes from at least some underlying knowledge of the subject matter. So there's no need to ask me such a ridiculous question as to whether or not I've visited a major battlefield. Were you hoping a government-employed dip**** park ranger in a ridiculous hat would be able to "educate" me on the subject if I ever bothered to show up to an actual battlefield? ;)

diverdog
5/28/2013, 06:18 AM
I've been to every single major battlefield and nearly ever minor battlefield you can find between here and Northern Virginia. In fact, I've visited all of them on many occasions....repeatedly. Including every battlefield my Great-Great Grandfather (2nd L.T, 15th Alabama, CO. A) fought upon starting with the Valley campaign under Jackson and all of those through Gettysburg, up Little Round Top, to the surrender, and back to Alabama.

I grew up re-enacting. I was a member of the Children of the Confederacy. I was the Oklahoma 1st Vice President of the Children of the Confederacy. I was the Oklahoma Division President of the Children of the Confederacy. I was the Editor-General of the Children of the Confederacy (national office). I was an Executive Board Member of the Children of the Confederacy, and a silver Jefferson Davis Medal award winner from the United Daughters of the Confederacy for an educational program I put together teaching kids about General Patton's stellar Confederate lineage. I'm a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. I was a camp officer of the Felix B. Robertson SCV camp -- Waco, TX. In all of those organizations and as an office-holder, I participated in countless memorial services at many of those battlefields your speaking of along with adjoining cemeteries, monuments, and I've toured just about every plantation between here and the Atlantic that's open to the public and even quite a few that aren't.

You name a book written on the war, and I've likely read it; although, the military history of the war doesn't interest me so much (I'm much more a WWII buff)...what I've read most extensively about and what I care most about is the political history of the war. Every speech speech in Congress, all the public statements by the relevant figures, every book they wrote, etc. etc. My favorite among them (and what I've studied the most) is Alexander Stephens "A Constitutional View of the Late War Between the States." Alexander Stephens was, IMO, the most brilliant politician in high office from either side....personally, I don't think too much of Davis. In fact, I wrote a rather extensive comparative analysis of Stehens' Constitutional arguments as compared to the debates within the Constitutional Convention, the Federalist Papers, and Madison's own writings for a political philosophy class.

I hope that answers your question -- in short, yes, I'm familiar with the 'major' battlefields.

Well that explains a lot. I did not know that about you.

I do not have much time before work but I will let you know that my mother was a history buff and we had vacations set up to see historical sites. Since we lived everywhere we were afforded a chance to see not only the major battlefirlds but lots of smaller engagements like the coastal forts or a skirmish at Gathland.

Just so you know I spent equal time in the south and north growing up. Attended a year at the Citadel which is steeped in Confederate tradition before going to OU.

I think it is fine to glorify the Southern Soldier but it should not be at the expense of a Union soldier. Both did their duty in a vicious war. I think having served in the military gives me a different perspective. For most soldiers the fight is about the man standing next to you, your brother. The larger geopolitical view does not count for a lot when you are struggling to survive.

olevetonahill
5/28/2013, 08:04 AM
I love when these thread devolve into Who has the Bigger dick.

Well I garendayumTee I shat a bigger pile this morning than any of Yall.

sappstuf
5/28/2013, 08:26 AM

Sailors always get shortchanged....

To the thousands of Sailors lost at sea defending our country beyond the sight of friendly shores. - I say Thank you!"

olevetonahill
5/28/2013, 08:39 AM
Sailors always get shortchanged....

To the thousands of Sailors lost at sea defending our country beyond the sight of friendly shores. - I say Thank you!"

No ****, There is No way in hell I'd have been a swabbie in WW2 Salute

diverdog
5/28/2013, 10:40 AM
I love when these thread devolve into Who has the Bigger dick.

Well I garendayumTee I shat a bigger pile this morning than any of Yall.

This has nothing to do with a bigger dick. My issue with Sic'ems original post is that he was making a political statement.

To the ever brave Confederate soldier who fought barefoot, starving, and died charging up a rocky mound known as “Little Round Top” in the name of his home, his family, his country, and the right of political independence – I say, “Thank you!”.

Had he left it at the first part of dying on Little Round Top then I would have been fine with it

How would you have felt if I said thank you to the Union soldier for bravely standing up to a bunch of racist Southern traitors and helping to free the slaves? I think I would have taken heat for that statement. On Memorial Day we are all Americans. Not Southern Americans or Northern Americans but Americans. We honor all of our fallen heros and I wish politics would stay the **** out of it.

Having said all of that I have to say I now understand Sic em a little bit now that I know about his history as a reenactor and member of the Sons of the Confederacy. Had I known I would not have pushed back so hard.

olevetonahill
5/28/2013, 11:05 AM
This has nothing to do with a bigger dick. My issue with Sic'ems original post is that he was making a political statement

Had he left it at the first part of dying on Little Round Top then I would have been fine with it
How would you have felt saying thank you to the Union soldier for bravely standing up to a bunch of racist Southern traitors and who were fighting to free the slaves? I think I would have taken heat for that statement. On Memorial Day we are all Americans. Not Southern Americans or Northern Americans but Americans. We honor all or fallen heros and I wish politics would stay the **** out of it.

Having said all of that I have to say I now understand Sic em a little bit now that I know about his history as a reenactor and member of the Sons of the Confederacy. Had I known I would not have pushed back so hard.

When you two went to Bragging about How many battlefields and shat ya been to so you know moren the other one. Yes it did devolve into a Dick measuring contest.

C&CDean
5/28/2013, 11:08 AM
The only thing I got out of this thread is that Sicem lacks anything even remotely resembling a normal life. Poor bastard.

diverdog
5/28/2013, 11:34 AM
When you two went to Bragging about How many battlefields and shat ya been to so you know moren the other one. Yes it did devolve into a Dick measuring contest.

Sorry you took it that way because you missed my point. The point I was trying to make is that the major battlefields give equal respect to both sides. I think they have bent over backwards to be as even handed as possible.

C&CDean
5/28/2013, 11:40 AM
Sorry you took it that way because you missed my point. The point I was trying to make is that the major battlefields give equal respect to both sides. I think they have bent over backwards to be as even handed as possible.

I don't know. I've been up around Kennesaw and Stone Mountain, GA, and they're kinda slanted to the gray side. The ones up north like Gettysburg are kinda slanted to the blue.

olevetonahill
5/28/2013, 11:41 AM
I don't know. I've been up around Kennesaw and Stone Mountain, GA, and they're kinda slanted to the gray side. The ones up north like Gettysburg are kinda slanted to the blue.

http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/yes.gif

SicEmBaylor
5/28/2013, 11:48 AM
I have no issue with Diverdog...not really. 'Rock on sooner' on the other hand...

diverdog
5/28/2013, 11:50 AM

Did you see where they are talking about tearing up Stone Mountain and building big retail space near Gettysburg battlefield? I think both ideas are terrible. I thought Stone Mountain was wonderfu when we visited it. Gettysburg has changed a lot of its signage and I did not think it was slanted either way. I was just there.

oudanny
5/28/2013, 01:48 PM
Did you see where they are talking about tearing up Stone Mountain and building big retail space near Gettysburg battlefield? I think both ideas are terrible. I thought Stone Mountain was wonderfu when we visited it. Gettysburg has changed a lot of its signage and I did not think it was slanted either way. I was just there.

Let me first say that I would like to echo the sentiments of those that are thankful to our fellow citizens for their service and sacrifice.
Now, since this has somewhat turned into a discussion of Civil War battlefields, the kicker on the Gettysburg development is that the local preservation group has endorsed it. The national Civil War Trust preservation group suceeded in stopping the casino development next to the park. Now this.
Just a note, I will be attending (as an observer) the re-enactment of Picketts Charge during the 150th Anniversary observance in July.

SicEmBaylor
5/28/2013, 02:05 PM

Gettysburg has been in the process of remaking the entire battlefield to match what it actually looked like during the battle (as much as possible). I avoid the official park staff and everything they have to say like the plague; however, Gettysburg was more fair than other parks (many of them in the south). In fact, it always seems like the southern parks try to overcompensate. Vicksburg is a great example of this. I actually lived in Vicksburg for a year, and it was always my favorite one growing up (second to Petersburg) but man oh man they are biased as hell.

I used to be highly resentful of that, but it doesn't bother me as much anymore. These are Federal parks afterall and the victor always writes the history. So it is what it is.

And as for honoring the Navy -- absolutely right. I regret that oversight.

olevetonahill
5/28/2013, 02:07 PM
I wanted to Join the Navy but they wouldnt let me, Said all I wanted to do was Ride the WAVE's

SicEmBaylor
5/28/2013, 02:07 PM
Let me first say that I would like to echo the sentiments of those that are thankful to our fellow citizens for their service and sacrifice.
Now, since this has somewhat turned into a discussion of Civil War battlefields, the kicker on the Gettysburg development is that the local preservation group has endorsed it. The national Civil War Trust preservation group suceeded in stopping the casino development next to the park. Now this.
Just a note, I will be attending (as an observer) the re-enactment of Picketts Charge during the 150th Anniversary observance in July.

Do you remember that horrible horrible idea that Disney had to build a "history" themed park by destroying and building atop much of the Manassas battlefield that isn't under Federal control? So you could visit faux-history by Disney after they destroyed the real thing. Thank God that was stopped.

Historical preservation is another issue on which I disagree with some more radical libertarian sorts.

SicEmBaylor
5/28/2013, 02:09 PM
I wanted to Join the Navy but they wouldnt let me, Said all I wanted to do was Ride the WAVE's

Their loss. Your poop-deck swabbing is legendary. ;)

Mjcpr
5/28/2013, 02:09 PM
Do you remember that horrible horrible idea that Disney had to build a "history" themed park by destroying and building atop much of the Manassas battlefield that isn't under Federal control? So you could visit faux-history by Disney after they destroyed the real thing. Thank God that was stopped.

Historical preservation is another issue on which I disagree with some more radical libertarian sorts.

Concentration Camp Mountain was going to rock!

SicEmBaylor
5/28/2013, 02:11 PM
Concentration Camp Mountain was going to rock!
Like I said, faux-history.

olevetonahill
5/28/2013, 02:35 PM
Their loss. Your poop-deck swabbing is legendary. ;)

These waves, Ya Dumas. Old Joke, loses sompun when ya have to splain it .
http://library.uncg.edu/dp/wv/biggie/7/WV002.7.028.jpg

SicEmBaylor
5/28/2013, 02:38 PM
These waves, Ya Dumas. Old Joke, loses sompun when ya have to splain it .
http://library.uncg.edu/dp/wv/biggie/7/WV002.7.028.jpg

lol, I know...which is why I made the 'poop deck' joke...you know because if they tell you to go into the waves then you must be good at "swabbing" the poop-deck.

It was a gay joke but probably not a very good one. :D

oudanny
5/28/2013, 02:48 PM

Yes, that was a terrible idea. There was also going to be a racetrack next to Brandy Station, an 800,00 square foot complex anchored by Walmart next to Bull Run (First Manassas), and there is an effort to expand the highway through the heart of the Bull Run National Park. I know we can't preserve everything but I think we owe it to our posterity to honor the sacrifices made by those men and women.

SicEmBaylor
5/28/2013, 03:02 PM
Yes, that was a terrible idea. There was also going to be a racetrack next to Brandy Station, an 800,00 square foot complex anchored by Walmart next to Bull Run (First Manassas), and there is an effort to expand the highway through the heart of the Bull Run National Park. I know we can't preserve everything but I think we owe it to our posterity to honor the sacrifices made by those men and women.

I didn't know about the racetrack next to Brandy Station. Shameful.

SicEmBaylor
5/28/2013, 03:09 PM
I haven't been to nearly enough Revolutionary War battlefields which is something I need and want to rectify though I have been to a handful. Yorktown is probably the largest. Saratoga is the one that I'm really itching to see.

And I said Petersburg was my second favorite, but the Sharpsburg battlefield site is beautiful.

jkjsooner
5/28/2013, 03:16 PM

When I moved to Virginia that was a big deal. I'd kind of forgotten about all that.

I'd add the first Gulf War to your list. I know it's impossible to have a comprehensive list but that one probably belongs on the list of major conflicts. (Not being critical...)

and there is an effort to expand the highway through the heart of the Bull Run National Park.

If you're talking about I-66 that expansion was completed a while ago. It's now 4 lanes to Centreville.

oudanny
5/28/2013, 03:48 PM
If you're talking about I-66 that expansion was completed a while ago. It's now 4 lanes to Centreville.

I believe it was HW 29. I-66 goes around the south side of the park. HW 29 goes right through the middle of it and would have severly impacted the stone house and traffic around the battlefield.

jkjsooner
5/28/2013, 03:52 PM
I believe it was HW 29. I-66 goes around the south side of the park. HW 29 goes right through the middle of it and would have severly impacted the stone house and traffic around the battlefield.

That's right. I remember that now that you mention it. I used to work right off of 29 in Centreville and lived out near Gainesville and would occasionally take 29 that way. I can't believe I forgot about that.

BTW, I meant to say 66 has been widened out to Gainesville.

picasso
5/28/2013, 04:53 PM
I've spent an entire day at Gettysburgh. I was amazed at the flowers and such left on the state markers near Pickett's charge. Kinda put into persoective folks have relatives who died there.

cleller
5/28/2013, 05:13 PM

Vicksburg (to me) is terribly slanted to the blue. Monuments everywhere to every northern state that had troops there, plus large manicured cemeteries for the northern soldiers.
Nothing to speak of (that I've noticed) for the Confederates, plus they are buried on a poorly mantained city cemetery down the hill and outside the big national battlefield.

If you're ever in Natchez, they have a pretty darn interesting cemetery, if you can imagine that.

SicEmBaylor
5/28/2013, 05:20 PM
Sadly, my great great grandfather's regiment is still without a unit marker because of a long feud between his commanding officer, Oates and the commander of the 20th Maine, Chamberlin.

It's eerie walking up that hill knowing that he fought up that exact same hill and walked in the same steps I did all of those years previous. I also saw where he was captured earlier in the war at Cross-Keys.

A lot of people don't realize that George S. Patton's family were wealthy tidewater Virginians. His great-uncle, "Tazwell" Patton's unit was one of the very few that made it all the way to the wall at Pickett's charge where he was killed in action. All of Patton's family fought, and they were rather radical secessionists. Patton's Grandfather, George S. Patton, Sr. was also a Confederate officer.

After the war, they moved to California to escape reconstruction. There is one anecdote about Patton's grandmother riding home from church with another elderly gentlemen when she confronted him over the fact that he said "amen" when the preacher said a prayer for the President. The man said that he had, and Patton's grandmother took her cane and started beating the ever loving **** out of him for it.

Anyway, Patton always had a strong sense of family and absolutely worshiped his Confederate ancestors. His family also become friends with Gen. John Mosby (The Gray Ghost) who would take Patton horseback riding (Patton became a Cavalry officer).

I know I'm getting way off subject but..yeah...one of those killed at Pickett's charge was his great-uncle.

SicEmBaylor
5/28/2013, 05:21 PM
Vicksburg (to me) is terribly slanted to the blue. Monuments everywhere to every northern state that had troops there, plus large manicured cemeteries for the northern soldiers.
Nothing to speak of (that I've noticed) for the Confederates, plus they are buried on a poorly mantained city cemetery down the hill and outside the big national battlefield.

If you're ever in Natchez, they have a pretty darn interesting cemetery, if you can imagine that.
My sister is named after a plantation in Natchez...D'Evereux.

diverdog
5/29/2013, 08:02 AM
I haven't been to nearly enough Revolutionary War battlefields which is something I need and want to rectify though I have been to a handful. Yorktown is probably the largest. Saratoga is the one that I'm really itching to see.

And I said Petersburg was my second favorite, but the Sharpsburg battlefield site is beautiful.

The Revolutionary sites are not as detailed as the Civil War sites. I really did not care for Valley Forge. Concord and Lexington are great. I think the best way to view the Revolutionary War is to look at everything...Independence Hall, Mount Vernon, Boston Historical Trail, etc. I cannot remember the battle near Norfolk VA but they talked about an attack by the colonials on British Troops. It was at night, all hand to hand fighting and it was so dark that there were friendly on friendly deaths.

One of the Civil War sites that really affected me was the Bloody Angle. The small arms fire mowed down a forest.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/bloody-day-at-the-bloody-angle

The Battle of New Market also affected me. This is where Cadets from VMI bravely fought and died. Some no older than 15. I think Stonewall Jackson was a Commadant at the school.

oudanny
5/29/2013, 08:07 AM
I've been to Vicksburg 5 or 6 times since the early '60s. I always enjoy the visit and seem to find something new. I was afraid the casinos would ruin it when they opened in the '90s. If you all haven't been to the battlefield in Franklin, Tennessee, I think you would enjoy it. They have been doing a lot of reclamation and interprative work over the past couple of years. The Carnton plantation is impressive.

diverdog
5/29/2013, 09:30 AM
I've been to Vicksburg 5 or 6 times since the early '60s. I always enjoy the visit and seem to find something new. I was afraid the casinos would ruin it when they opened in the '90s. If you all haven't been to the battlefield in Franklin, Tennessee, I think you would enjoy it. They have been doing a lot of reclamation and interprative work over the past couple of years. The Carnton plantation is impressive.

I went to Franklin years ago. Mom and Dad were there last year and ran into Robert Hicks the Author of the Widow of the South. They talked to him for a while and saw a lecture that he gave at some place where my parents were staying or it may have been the plantation.. Mom said they were lucky to run into him.

picasso
5/29/2013, 10:07 AM
That's cool man! Off subject but the second time I visited the museum of the Holocaust in DC. Just so happened to be the day they had a survivors reunion. Everywhere you went you could listen to first hand stories. Was amazing.

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2013, 03:11 PM
The Revolutionary sites are not as detailed as the Civil War sites. I really did not care for Valley Forge. Concord and Lexington are great.

You know this kind of makes sense. I've been to Boston a handful of times and been to both Lexington and Concord. Neither of those towns seem to have changed much from the 18th century; however, I was underwhelmed with the amount of physical/tangible artifacts around Boston. I figured maybe it was just a Boston thing, but from what I hear it may be all of the AR sites.

Bunker Hill (which I forgot to mention) was pretty cool even though the little museum they have attached to it is virtually empty. Climbing up the top of the obelisk is a punishing workout but the view is AMAZING.

diverdog
5/31/2013, 08:51 AM
You know this kind of makes sense. I've been to Boston a handful of times and been to both Lexington and Concord. Neither of those towns seem to have changed much from the 18th century; however, I was underwhelmed with the amount of physical/tangible artifacts around Boston. I figured maybe it was just a Boston thing, but from what I hear it may be all of the AR sites.

Bunker Hill (which I forgot to mention) was pretty cool even though the little museum they have attached to it is virtually empty. Climbing up the top of the obelisk is a punishing workout but the view is AMAZING.

I never have been to Bunker Hill. The one time I could go I decided to go to Gloucester to visit a friend of mine who worked as a commercial fisherman. After that I stopped by the Crows Nest. They marked me for a tourist the minute I walked in the bar.

Some of the old coastal and lake forts are kinda cool. Fort William Henry is a recreation. Ticonderoga is beautiful and the siege lines are still entact.

I think the other think about the Revolutionary War is that there were few major pitched battles and most of those we lost. About 60 miles north of me is the Brandywine Battlefield which is a good example of what I am talking about.

picasso
5/31/2013, 10:28 AM
I've got an awesome coffee table book by the Brandeywine Museum. Ton of Howard Pyle artwork in it.

SicEmBaylor
5/31/2013, 01:07 PM
I've got an awesome coffee table book by the Brandeywine Museum. Ton of Howard Pyle artwork in it.

By any chance are you familiar with an artist who specializes in historical prints by the name of Don Troiani? I LOVE his work. He primary does the American Revolution and Civil War.

jk the sooner fan
5/31/2013, 01:21 PM

i've seen you post a lot of stupid things before - but this is probably the absolute dumbest

jk the sooner fan
5/31/2013, 01:22 PM
While today is the day set aside to honor the fallen, I always send my buddies a "thanks for serving" text today. Maybe it's from my time in the service, but I take every chance I get to thanks the troops.

honestly - most troops i know feel awkward being thanked on a day that is specially reserved for the fallen

i cringe ...because the sole focus of that day is for those that didnt come home

but your thanks are appreciated ...

diverdog
5/31/2013, 06:57 PM

My wife's Uncle lived in Chadds Ford. He was a friend of the Wyeth family. He used to take us to the Brandywine Museum but sadly we have not been there in years.

En_Fuego
6/3/2013, 12:03 AM
To the ever brave Confederate soldier who fought barefoot, starving, and died charging up a rocky mound known as “Little Round Top” in the name of his home, his family, his country, and the right of political independence – I say, Thank you.

"Be proud your a Rebel cause the souths gonna do it again"

picasso
6/3/2013, 09:12 AM
My wife's Uncle lived in Chadds Ford. He was a friend of the Wyeth family. He used to take us to the Brandywine Museum but sadly we have not been there in years.

That's the connection to Pyle. NC Wyeth and him were contemporaries. I'm a big fan of the Wyeth family. My brother used to date a girl whose family lived there also.

C&CDean
6/3/2013, 09:58 AM
That's cool man! Off subject but the second time I visited the museum of the Holocaust in DC. Just so happened to be the day they had a survivors reunion. Everywhere you went you could listen to first hand stories. Was amazing.

I've been there many times. I went the first week they were open several years ago. It was mind blowing/numbing, gut wrenching, and just about every other emotion inducing. They've made it a lot less "graphic" because some people were freaking out. To think people can do that **** to other people...

C&CDean
6/3/2013, 09:59 AM
i've seen you post a lot of stupid things before - but this is probably the absolute dumbest

Nah, he's posted dumber.

Where you been?

8timechamps
6/3/2013, 01:18 PM
honestly - most troops i know feel awkward being thanked on a day that is specially reserved for the fallen

i cringe ...because the sole focus of that day is for those that didnt come home

but your thanks are appreciated ...

I'm always thanked on Memorial Day, doesn't bother me at all. I feel fortunate to have served during a time in our country that the troops are appreciated and separated from politics. Unlike the Vietnam era vets, who were treated poorly by an under-educated public.

I guess that's why I have never had a problem with people using Memorial Day as a time to thank living troops. Given the way prior vets were treated, I figure it's better than the alternative.

olevetonahill
6/3/2013, 01:38 PM
I'm always thanked on Memorial Day, doesn't bother me at all. I feel fortunate to have served during a time in our country that the troops are appreciated and separated from politics. Unlike the Vietnam era vets, who were treated poorly by an under-educated public.

I guess that's why I have never had a problem with people using Memorial Day as a time to thank living troops. Given the way prior vets were treated, I figure it's better than the alternative.

Which is why I feel uncomfortable hearing all the Thanks and stuff Now,

rock on sooner
6/3/2013, 02:00 PM

8x makes a point about under-educated public and Nam. I have
visited the Viet Nam Moving Wall twice, once in CO and then here
in IA. I see the vets there, knowing that many of them are looking
for buddies' names, and I stand at attention and salute..one vet
to another and mean it when I say, "Welcome home" even if it's
40 years or so late. Naw, Vet, don't be feelin uncomfortable. Please
know it's from the heart...it has taken two more current wars to wake
some of these folks up...

olevetonahill
6/3/2013, 02:02 PM
8x makes a point about under-educated public and Nam. I have
visited the Viet Nam Moving Wall twice, once in CO and then here
in IA. I see the vets there, knowing that many of them are looking
for buddies' names, and I stand at attention and salute..one vet
to another and mean it when I say, "Welcome home" even if it's
40 years or so late. Naw, Vet, don't be feelin uncomfortable. Please
know it's from the heart...it has taken two more current wars to wake
some of these folks up...

Its just been the last 15-20 years that I began to even admit I had been there.

rock on sooner
6/3/2013, 02:08 PM
Its just been the last 15-20 years that I began to even admit I had been there.

I understand. There were a few times in the early and mid 70's when
it became known that I was a vet and when I was in I could sense that
some folks were uneasy til they found out that I wasn't in the jungle and
instead was in the dusty desert of Pakistan....

8timechamps
6/3/2013, 05:42 PM

Never looked at it that way, but it's so deserved.

This country has certainly had it's share of ****ty moments, and that one ranks right up there.

8timechamps
6/3/2013, 05:45 PM
I understand. There were a few times in the early and mid 70's when
it became known that I was a vet and when I was in I could sense that
some folks were uneasy til they found out that I wasn't in the jungle and
instead was in the dusty desert of Pakistan....

Maybe it's because I am a vet, but to me it doesn't matter if you were on the front or cooking for sailors aboard a ship, service is service.

I like to think that the public finally has a grasp on what the Vietnam era vets went through, and sadly it's probably because of Hollywood. Just being in uniform during that period had to be difficult.

Again, maybe because I'm a vet, I appreciate so much what you guys went through. A lot of what you guys endured paved the way to a better military now.