PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the AT

diverdog
5/25/2013, 10:59 PM
I am on the Appalahia Trail north of Harpers Ferry.

Right now I am in my hammock trying to get some rest but there has been a god damn Black Bear patrolling around camp and the mother#####er stinks! I can see why they call them skunk bears. I hike the AT about five times a year and have about a quarter of it done.

Vet would have loved this morning coffee over a campfire and thick like motor oil.

Tomorrow is gonna be tough. My son sprained his ankle and is really gutting it out. I will carry half his stuff which will put my pack 50 pounds plus. May cut the mileage short tomorrow and give the kid a break. We soaked his ankle a cold creek and that helped.

The wind is really whipping. We are on the top of a mountain and somewhat exposed. Hammocks are great except the insulation below you is nonexistant. I spread out an emergency blanket below my sleeping bag and it helps.

Good night.

DD

Soonerjeepman
5/25/2013, 11:17 PM
cool DD,
what's the temp?

that 50lbs will help you get ready for Philmont!!! lol

pics?

SicEmBaylor
5/25/2013, 11:36 PM
Harpers Ferry is a great little town.

Blue
5/26/2013, 02:14 AM
Watch out for your cornhole, bud...

olevetonahill
5/26/2013, 05:31 AM
He gots a Purty Mouf.

SoonerStormchaser
5/26/2013, 06:36 AM
Wait...you do the AT BEFORE Philmont? Isn't it usually the other way around? Or maybe that's just how I did it.

diverdog
5/26/2013, 05:46 PM
cool DD,
what's the temp?

that 50lbs will help you get ready for Philmont!!! lol

pics?

Jeepman:

We just got home. My kids ankle got better then worse. So I decided to call the trip. He gutted out 8 miles but I could tell he was hurting.

The temps were in the mid 30's. We have been cold all spring.

The bear did not touch a thing. He kind of stayed away from us and at some point he left. My pucker factor was a little high when I got up at 3 am to pee. Your mind plays all sorts of tricks on you at that time of night. Black Bears are pretty common on the AT. This one just seemed a little too habituated to humans which is bad.

I found out why my pack has been so heavy this weekend. One of my buddies on the trip rocked my pack with two big stones. I carried those stones for the better part of 20 miles. Lol