PDA

View Full Version : 2013 WCWS in OKC

Lott's Bandana
5/25/2013, 01:14 PM
Sooners get some more rest, face the winner of Meatchicken and LA Lafayette.

Washington also in.

WCWS starts Thursday.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/25/2013, 01:20 PM

Washington also in.

WCWS starts Thursday.Here's the tournament bracket:
http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/softball/d1

tycat947
5/25/2013, 01:24 PM

Washington also in.

WCWS starts Thursday.

Yeah, and Meatchicken and Rajun' Cajun's are going to have to play a 3rd game!

Boomer Sooner!!!

Sooner95
5/25/2013, 01:31 PM
Good stuff.

5/25/2013, 01:34 PM
SEC powers Lassie and mizery had bit the dust.

8timechamps
5/25/2013, 06:59 PM
Bama fails to make a return trip to the WCWS. Tennessee moves on.

Soonerfan88
5/27/2013, 12:32 AM
Laughing at mizzou. Folks around here are huge softball fans and been bragging about winning it all.

5/27/2013, 12:52 AM
Laughing at mizzou. Folks around here are huge softball fans and been bragging about winning it all.They had a pretty salty pitcher last year. Is she still on the team?

normanx
5/27/2013, 02:37 PM
I want to take my 9 year old daughter to see OU play. I've never attended. So what would be the best way to go about getting decent seats?

badger
5/27/2013, 02:42 PM
I'll get a vBookie event going asap. Boomer!

Soonerfan88
5/27/2013, 02:51 PM
They had a pretty salty pitcher last year. Is she still on the team?

Yes, Chelsea Thomas is a SR this year and she's the only reason that team went as far as it did.

Soonerfan88
5/27/2013, 02:58 PM
I want to take my 9 year old daughter to see OU play. I've never attended. So what would be the best way to go about getting decent seats?

Link for official NCAA tickets: http://www.ncaa.com/championships/softball/d1#!tickets_hospitality

Or, Oklahoma Tickets is in Norman and is owned Scooter Proctor: http://www.oklahomatickets.com/Womens-College-World-Series-Tickets/OK

normanx
5/27/2013, 03:03 PM
Thanks a lot 88!

Salt City Sooner
5/27/2013, 03:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/softball/story/_/id/9313562/2013-ncaa-softball-tournament-graham-hays-5-questions-heading-women-college-world-series

Petro-Sooner
5/30/2013, 08:45 PM
I'm away from a tv. Any score?

SanJoaquinSooner
5/30/2013, 09:21 PM
2 k 3 up 3 down in top of 1st. Go Sooners!

C&CDean
5/30/2013, 09:36 PM
Just hit a hotel in Mesquite in time to catch the 1st inning. Michigan chick struck out our 2 best hitters in first. Keillani got a hit, but Casey got thrown out at third.

It's on ESPN 2, so everybody should get it.

Ruf/Nek7
5/30/2013, 10:07 PM
Thats the luckiest black girl....ever. Should have been out three times

deweydw
5/31/2013, 11:46 AM
Fell asleep at 4-1. Cool Keillani got a no hitter thanks to the error in the first. And struck out 12!! Whorns are up next.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-WD7tQHYtYS9s9qh2JaLMmgXav3Kh53zFgsckF680xLhIykeu_g

PalmBeachSooner
5/31/2013, 02:16 PM
I feel pretty good about OU vs. Texas tonight. Luna is very good. She relies on the strikeout to get people out but she also gives up a LOT of walks. OU should have opportunities to score. They just need to take advantage of it.

Gascoigne was the pitcher in the OU loss to Texas this season.

jkjsooner
5/31/2013, 02:31 PM
2000 National Championship in softball
2000 National Championship in football

C'mon, ladies, it's time to start the repeat.

Blue
5/31/2013, 09:48 PM
So is the field underwater? Bummer. Will they play tomorrow?

Blue
6/1/2013, 03:31 PM
6-2 OU Top 4. Oh yeah.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/1/2013, 03:32 PM
heh, texas goes up 2-0. OU gets one back and then loads them up. 2 run single where their catcher dropped the ball at the plate (3-2). 3 run 4 base error on a drag bunt. 6-2.

Blue
6/1/2013, 04:10 PM
10-2 Bot 5 = run ruled F. Nice.

okiewaker
6/1/2013, 04:13 PM
Well,,that was a blowout. Next..

C&CDean
6/1/2013, 04:38 PM
Beating Texas at anything is sweet. Run-ruling their burnt orange asses is uber sweet.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/1/2013, 04:59 PM
Run Ruling the Longwhorns. We also did this two or three times in football this decade, didn't we?

C&CDean
6/1/2013, 06:44 PM
2000 National Championship in softball
2000 National Championship in football

C'mon, ladies, it's time to start the repeat.

I also got my Master's in 2000. An NC in 2013 works for me.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/1/2013, 08:37 PM
Holy crap that cornhusker just went from goat to hero on that dropped tag. She had no clue that the player dropped it until everyone ran over to her.

6/1/2013, 09:30 PM
Beating Texas at anything is sweet. Run-ruling their burnt orange asses is uber sweet.This'll carry me through to the domer feetballs game in Sept. (most likely)

SoonerMarkVA
6/1/2013, 10:10 PM
How late are they willing to start the game after this? I guess I'm a bit skewed on Eastern time, but it sure seems late to be starting a game even right now.

okiewaker
6/1/2013, 11:05 PM
15th inning,,Fla n nebbish.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/1/2013, 11:45 PM
I'm ready for some midnight softball!!

texaspokieokie
6/2/2013, 07:53 AM
I thot it was strange when the tx coach took her ace pitcher off the mound.

JoeR
6/2/2013, 09:45 AM
I especially enjoyed Brianna's bunt home run. Around the bases in 11.7 seconds.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/2/2013, 11:32 AM
I thot it was strange when the tx coach took her ace pitcher off the mound.

Luna's psyche is fragile (she's Italian). If she had lost that lead she wouldn't have recovered for the rest of the tourney.

texaspokieokie
6/2/2013, 12:41 PM
i figured it might be her "time o month".
for them, the tourney may be gone anyway.
i JMHO thot it was a dumb move. It might have been the right move, but obviously backfired.

Note, key hit was Rickett's, drove in 1st run, really CLUTCH.

BlackwellSooner
6/2/2013, 01:52 PM
i figured it might be her "time o month".
for them, the tourney may be gone anyway.
i JMHO thot it was a dumb move. It might have been the right move, but obviously backfired.

Note, key hit was Rickett's, drove in 1st run, really CLUTCH.

Disagree. While Keilani's hit was certainly clutch and a definite rally-starter, the really clutch hit in the inning was Parsons'. After Luna was lifted for Bruins, Bruins almost got out of the inning, first striking out Shults, then getting Martinez to hit into a force of Pendley at home plate. Two out, bases still loaded, Texas leading 2-1. THEN the key hit of the inning, probably the game, came with Parsons singling through the left side, scoring two runs, OU leads 3-2. Then the 3-run, bases-clearing bunt by Turang for all intents and purposes, sealed the game.

But the key hit was Parsons', IMO. If Bruins gets out of the inning with a 2-1 lead after we had the bases loaded, no outs, it would have been a huge morale-booster for the Horns.

8timechamps
6/2/2013, 02:06 PM
Interesting move by the Texas coach today; Luna pitching, third inning, bases loaded with one out (very similar to the spot she was in against the Sooners when she was pulled). Texas head coach leaves her in, she gets out of the inning. Longhorns up 3-0 in the 6th.

Sooners get the winner of the Michigan/Washington game.

BlackwellSooner
6/2/2013, 02:36 PM
Interesting move by the Texas coach today; Luna pitching, third inning, bases loaded with one out (very similar to the spot she was in against the Sooners when she was pulled). Texas head coach leaves her in, she gets out of the inning. Longhorns up 3-0 in the 6th.

Sooners get the winner of the Michigan/Washington game.

The UT coach Clark made a monumental error when she lifted Luna for Bruins against OU, even though Bruins almost escaped the jam, as I noted above. Just because the Bruins substitution ALMOST worked does not mean that it was the right move to have made, as Luna showed today. Luna is one of the premier pitchers in softball... you do not yank her as quickly as Clark did. BIG error.

Clark is probably the weakest link in the Texas lineup.

Salt City Sooner
6/2/2013, 03:32 PM
3-run, bases-clearing bunt

I'll take "phrases you thought you'd never see" for $500, Alex. :D

Blue
6/2/2013, 04:05 PM
I hope Texas beats Tenn twice and gets in the big series. Would love to beat them for the title.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/2/2013, 11:16 PM
Gotta love Turang.

nighttrain12
6/2/2013, 11:27 PM
The OU pitcher walks the previous batter on 4 pitches. Tying run comes to the plate with 2 outs, the hitter is 0 for 2 with 2 K's and she swings at the first pitch which is out of the strike zone. I just hate bad hitting even when it is for the other team. She should have taken the first 2 pitches no matter where they were.

Lott's Bandana
6/2/2013, 11:53 PM
Killer mode. No names taken. Foot on their neck. No quarter. Smash those SEC yainches.

badger
6/3/2013, 08:18 AM
443 million was won last night on vBookie. I would love it if you all would take greater efforts to break the poor thing and vBet even more on tonight's game :)

SanJoaquinSooner
6/3/2013, 10:28 AM
Hope the talking heads don't spend too much time on Co-Coaches Ma and Pa Kettle. I really don't want to hear the details on their marriage.

badger
6/3/2013, 12:28 PM
I hope Texas beats Tenn twice and gets in the big series. Would love to beat them for the title.

haven't we already beaten them enough :mack: Hook em

8timechamps
6/3/2013, 01:27 PM
Tennessee isn't the second best team in the country, but they have earned their spot in the championship game. They have a few solid athletes on their team, including Raven Chevanne, who was a top three finalist for the POY. I haven't really watched them play much (except during the WCWS), so I don't know how solid they are at pitcher, but they are a solid hitting team.

That said, OU wins the championship in two games. This year's team may be one of the best in college softball history. Sure, I'm a homer, and love any Sooner team, but even taking off my crimson glasses, this team is among the best ever.

Should be fun watching the series.

6/3/2013, 01:30 PM
Tennessee isn't the second best team in the country, but they have earned their spot in the championship game. They have a few solid athletes on their team, including Raven Chevanne, who was a top three finalist for the POY. I haven't really watched them play much (except during the WCWS), so I don't know how solid they are at pitcher, but they are a solid hitting team.

That said, OU wins the championship in two games. This year's team may be one of the best in college softball history. Sure, I'm a homer, and love any Sooner team, but even taking off my crimson glasses, this team is among the best ever.

Should be fun watching the series.a championship would be a great "fix" for OU overall, I would think. Could help some in recruiting in other sports as well.

badger
6/3/2013, 01:43 PM
a championship would be a great "fix" for OU overall, I would think. Could help some in recruiting in other sports as well.

I love the solidarity we see among the coaches of our sports. OU mens basketball coach Lon Kruger threw out the first pitch at WCWS last year and a pitch at an OU baseball game shortly after being hired (where Sunny Galloway, Bob Stoops and Sherri Coale were all in attendance). Sherri's a regular attendee of OU volleyball, mens basketball and football games, and Stoops and family is at just about everything OU these days (and Thunder games too!).

I wonder if this is common at other major college programs too, or if OU's special :)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/3/2013, 02:39 PM

Should be fun watching the series.

What Tennessee found was pitching. Thus far, they have given up 1 run in 5 games to non-SEC teams (which was a pinch hit home run by a FR in the last inning of the Texas game). I think a lot of it has to do with none of the other WCWS teams having actually seen them (since they had a KState like schedule). The SEC teams (especially aTm) scored a lot of runs on them. They do pitch up in the zone but they generate a lot of weak ground balls.

jkjsooner
6/3/2013, 03:27 PM
Do you guys remember in little league where the kids would be animated, cheer, chatter, etc? It's funny and refreshing to see how women still do that into college when playing softball.

I guess us guys just get too cool for that or something.

8timechamps
6/3/2013, 05:48 PM
What Tennessee found was pitching. Thus far, they have given up 1 run in 5 games to non-SEC teams (which was a pinch hit home run by a FR in the last inning of the Texas game). I think a lot of it has to do with none of the other WCWS teams having actually seen them (since they had a KState like schedule). The SEC teams (especially aTm) scored a lot of runs on them. They do pitch up in the zone but they generate a lot of weak ground balls.

Interesting. If A&M had some success, then OU should too. I know they have a very solid infield, so it should at least be interesting.

8timechamps
6/3/2013, 05:50 PM
Do you guys remember in little league where the kids would be animated, cheer, chatter, etc? It's funny and refreshing to see how women still do that into college when playing softball.

I guess us guys just get too cool for that or something.

Last night, while watching the OU/Washington game, I told my son about the chatter. My son (13 year old) plays competitive travel/tournament baseball, and in over 200 games, I've never heard a team chatter. I told him when I was in youth ball, I had a coach that would bench you if you didn't chatter. He was amazed that chatter was ever part of the game.

From what I've gathered, chants in general are considered "softball" behavior nowadays. Sad, because I always thought that was a fun part of the game.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/3/2013, 08:01 PM
Ouch, umpire blows a call costing us at least one. Then Gasso blows it not sending Turang. Turang at full speed over 50 feet vs a shortstop having to throw it 125 feet?

Collier11
6/3/2013, 08:24 PM
Tenn gets their leadoff on in the 5th and then she gets picked off, dumb move when you are the underdog...hopefully OU can score soon before the pressure starts to mount

Collier11
6/3/2013, 08:33 PM
Ricketts flirting with disaster in the 5th. walked 3 straight batters but gets out unscathed due to a pickoff at 1st and a double play

jkjsooner
6/3/2013, 08:39 PM
Tenn gets their leadoff on in the 5th and then she gets picked off, dumb move when you are the underdog...hopefully OU can score soon before the pressure starts to mount

Disagree. They're not expecting to have a big rally or put up lots of runs against Ricketts. It's worth being aggressive for what could be the winning run.

She should have been more careful and not gotten picked off but that goes without saying. Being aggressive for the go ahead run in a pitching battle late in the game is not a mistake.

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2013, 08:46 PM
OU hitters are being too patient at the plate. Too many girls watching two strikes right down the heart of the plate and leaving themselves with little to work with. Time to change that approach.

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2013, 08:47 PM
I am really hoping Pendley breaks the slump with something big in the bottom half of this inning. We need it.

Collier11
6/3/2013, 08:57 PM
This Tennessee pitcher is killing it, we are playing way too tight it seems. 7th inning now, any mistake made or walk is now magnified

ouwasp
6/3/2013, 08:58 PM
Pitching duels are so boring. I just wanna hit FF on the remote; "Okay, okay, what's gonna happen?"

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/3/2013, 08:59 PM
OU hitters are being too patient at the plate. Too many girls watching two strikes right down the heart of the plate and leaving themselves with little to work with. Time to change that approach.

Yep. The problem is that the Tennessee coach is playing the umpire and ours isn't. The ump has a postage stamp strike zone that starts mid-thigh. Ricketts is throwing at the knees before coming up for strikes. The Tennessee pitcher is just gutting the first 1 or 2 pitches and then just throwing crap up there because we are panicking.

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2013, 09:00 PM
Yep. The problem is that the Tennessee coach is playing the umpire and ours isn't. The ump has a postage stamp strike zone that starts mid-thigh. Ricketts is throwing at the knees before coming up for strikes. The Tennessee pitcher is just gutting the first 1 or 2 pitches and then just throwing crap up there because we are panicking.

Advantages of having two coaches. smh

Collier11
6/3/2013, 09:03 PM
I swear, if I watched 4 womens softball games only to see us choke it away with one of the best teams ever, im gonna be pissed :D

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2013, 09:04 PM
Ok girls. Just need one. We got to accustomed to run rules. If we get this one, i feel we are going to pound this girl tomorrow.

Collier11
Oh wow, off the bat that looked like it could have been a heartbreaker, geez! Bottom of 7 drama, lets go lady Sooners

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
Much better in the 7th - she just went right after them.

Collier11
6/3/2013, 09:05 PM
I agree, if we can break their hearts tonight when they could have beaten us, they may not make it past 5 tomorrow

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/3/2013, 09:05 PM
I swear, if I watched 4 womens softball games only to see us choke it away with one of the best teams ever, im gonna be pissed :D

Shades of 2003 football eh? ;)

Collier11
6/3/2013, 09:07 PM
No, I actually like watching OU football :D I don't touch softball unless its the WS

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2013, 09:07 PM
I am with you collier. My immediate reaction was "OH ****"

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2013, 09:09 PM
Come on Jessica...be a hero. You deserve it and we want it.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/3/2013, 09:10 PM
that was crap on that 1st strike to Schultz. That has been a ball all night.

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2013, 09:10 PM
Damn...need a rally from the speedy slappers

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2013, 09:12 PM
This is annoying. Ok damnit, get your three outs and lets put this thing in the hands of Turang and Chamberlain

soonerdo
6/3/2013, 09:13 PM
Hate to say it but this is a SEC team

Collier11
6/3/2013, 09:16 PM
dumb

Collier11
6/3/2013, 09:16 PM
an error on a slow azz grounder, awesome

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2013, 09:17 PM
Well....fffuuuuuugggg

Collier11
6/3/2013, 09:17 PM
need some Ks here

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2013, 09:20 PM
That was a non-intentional-intentional walk. Need a K...BAD!

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2013, 09:22 PM
HUGE K! One more let's go damnit

Collier11
6/3/2013, 09:22 PM
one K down, one more needed please God thanks

Collier11
6/3/2013, 09:23 PM
out of the jam, lets go win this now so I can stop stressing over softball :D

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2013, 09:24 PM
Got exactly what we want coming up. Got to make it happen.

Collier11
6/3/2013, 09:25 PM
how about a bunt inside the park homer by Turang

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2013, 09:30 PM
Wow. Just wow. Not feeling too good about this one. The longer this goes on, the better it is for Tenn.

MojoRisen
6/3/2013, 09:37 PM
LEts swing away! Plant foot and swing!

6/3/2013, 09:54 PM
This game is making me VERY nervous!

Lott's Bandana
6/3/2013, 09:54 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk

i'm on a plane. Wanted to yell it.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/3/2013, 10:25 PM

Taxman71
6/3/2013, 10:26 PM
OU softball is becoming more and more like OU football.

Eielson
6/3/2013, 10:28 PM
:(

Lott's Bandana
6/3/2013, 10:31 PM
An epidemic of runners-up lately. To the SEC invariably.

Girls can still do this.

nighttrain12
6/3/2013, 10:45 PM
Sooner Magic lives!

nighttrain12
6/3/2013, 10:46 PM
Tied up 3-3 after the end of 11 innings!

nighttrain12
6/3/2013, 10:46 PM
Seriously, how can these pitchers keep going after so many pitches? They are both still throwing hard!

nighttrain12
6/3/2013, 10:47 PM
The game is on ESPN2 in case you didn't know.

MojoRisen
6/3/2013, 10:48 PM
Sooner Magic!! ! good to see - would have kept her at second but we really

Blue
6/3/2013, 10:53 PM
Unbelievable and great game.

Soonerfan88
6/3/2013, 10:56 PM
Sooner Magic!!!!

I've got chills....

SanJoaquinSooner
6/3/2013, 10:56 PM
Mother ****ing A!!!

nighttrain12
6/3/2013, 10:57 PM
Wow, just wow!

Taxman71
6/3/2013, 11:00 PM
Nevermind. Nice gutsy comeback!

Collier11
6/3/2013, 11:00 PM
Unreal, stunned! WOW

6/3/2013, 11:01 PM
OU softball is becoming more and more like OU football.I think it's harder to watch baseball and softball than any sport I can think of, that is, as far as being a nervous norvous!

SoonerMarkVA
6/3/2013, 11:02 PM

Uh, no. Spoke too early there, eh? I can only hope OU football regains the guts and grit to pull something like that off!

That was as clutch a finish as I can ever remember. Dang, I'm awestruck!

8timechamps
6/3/2013, 11:03 PM
Hats off to Tennessee, they played a near perfect game, and probably thought they had it won. Not only is it going to be hard for them to win two of the next three, they have to feel like they were donkey kicked in the gut.

WHAT A FREAKIN' GAME! Lauren Chamberlain continues to be amazing, and she's only a sophomore!!

Great win for the women!

Blue
6/3/2013, 11:04 PM
Uh, no. Spoke too early there, eh? I can only hope OU football regains the guts and grit to pull something like that off!

Couldn't have said it better.

6/3/2013, 11:06 PM

That was as clutch a finish as I can ever remember. Dang, I'm awestruck!I hope all our teams in all sports learn a lesson from this amazing comeback!!! Hell, it's just a good life lesson. AWESOME! The hounddogs showed an awful lot of spunk too, not seeming to have much fear of the OU juggernaut. However, CONGRATS GIRLS. WHATTA FINISH...

Now, you gotta do it again.

Blue
6/3/2013, 11:06 PM
1st baseman for Tenn that dropped second out Keilani pop up has to feel terrible.

nighttrain12
6/3/2013, 11:07 PM
Since OU has the 1-0 lead, do they rest Ricketts (as a pitcher) and save her for game 3, if necessary?

Collier11
6/3/2013, 11:08 PM
Hell, Tennessee pitch threw more than her

6/3/2013, 11:08 PM
1st baseman for Tenn that dropped second out Keilani pop up has to feel terrible.There were LOTS of errors in this game, I thought.

Blue
6/3/2013, 11:11 PM
Gotta feeling tomorrow is a blowout.

tycat947
6/3/2013, 11:15 PM
Totally AMAZING!

Lauren just became the FIRST player in NCAA history to ever hit 30 homeruns in two separate seasons! AND she's just a sophomore! Record is 90 career homeruns and Lauren is at 60 in 2 years! BOOMER SOONER!!!

BoomerSooner123
6/3/2013, 11:15 PM
Amazing. I had ALMOST lost hope. My mistake. Just chilling.

8timechamps
6/3/2013, 11:16 PM
Gotta feeling tomorrow is a blowout.

Me too. I think Tennessee left everything they had on the field, and have to know there is no way they'll beat this team two games in a row. I think UT shows up early, but at the first sign of trouble, I think the wheels come off.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/3/2013, 11:18 PM
Totally AMAZING!

Lauren just became the FIRST player in NCAA history to ever hit 30 homeruns in two separate seasons! AND she's just a sophomore! Record is 90 career homeruns and Lauren is at 60 in 2 years! BOOMER SOONER!!!

hindsight is 20-20, but Tenn has got to be wondering why they pitched to Chamberlain with an open base in that situation.

8timechamps
6/3/2013, 11:19 PM
Since OU has the 1-0 lead, do they rest Ricketts (as a pitcher) and save her for game 3, if necessary?

Gasso would probably have to tie Kelani's legs together to keep her off the field. This is the last game she'll play as a Sooner. She'll put the aches and pains aside, and do what she does best. Tennessee on the other hand, could go to their next pitcher (Ivy), in hopes of forcing OU hitters to struggle with a new pitcher.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/3/2013, 11:21 PM

It's amazing to me that those pitchers pitch with no day's rest.

Mjcpr
6/3/2013, 11:23 PM
Totally AMAZING!

Hope she doesn't go pro early.

6/3/2013, 11:26 PM
hindsight is 20-20, but Tenn has got to be wondering why they pitched to Chamberlain with an open base in that situation.I think their coaches either had a brain far* or underestimated Chamberlain. Either way, i hope they will repeat the error.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/3/2013, 11:28 PM
So I wandered over to the VolNation to see their mongo thread. Amazing that the umpire blowing the call in the 2nd which would have left us up 1 maybe 2-0 isn't mentioned but the close play on third is a big deal. That ghost tag is called correctly and the game doesn't even go into extras.

boomersooner28
6/3/2013, 11:52 PM
What else would you expect? I just like the fact that an OU team is getting cussed because of "favorable" calls. When the hell has that happened in the past...I dunno...ever? I will take every favorable call and laugh all the way to the trophy case. In the end, nobody remembers the umps/officials/refs.

hawaii 5-0
6/3/2013, 11:59 PM
What was Tenn thinking by pitching to Chamberlain with 1st open?

Great character builder (and win).

5-0

BlackwellSooner
6/4/2013, 12:02 AM
Looking at the box score, I can't believe that they didn't give the first baseman an error on Rickett's popup that wound up with her on 2nd!

Very favorable scorer, IMO.

Not that it matters, I'll take any win, earned or unearned!

6/4/2013, 12:11 AM
What else would you expect? I just like the fact that an OU team is getting cussed because of "favorable" calls. When the hell has that happened in the past...I dunno...ever? I will take every favorable call and laugh all the way to the trophy case. In the end, nobody remembers the umps/officials/refs.no BS. numerous are the football games we might have won if not shorted by the refs. In the end, only the Sooner fans remember them.

SoonersFan
6/4/2013, 12:13 AM
Me too. I think Tennessee left everything they had on the field, and have to know there is no way they'll beat this team two games in a row. I think UT shows up early, but at the first sign of trouble, I think the wheels come off.

Hold up now

Alabama won Game 2 and 3 to win the Championship last year, it could happen to Tennessee

You know the saying" Any given sunday"

nighttrain12
6/4/2013, 12:13 AM
hindsight is 20-20, but Tenn has got to be wondering why they pitched to Chamberlain with an open base in that situation.

Maybe at that point their pitcher was so tired (though she seemed to still throw 'heat') they didn't want to waste 4 pitches. Or perhaps that strategy is emphasized less in womens softball though I could most certainly be wrong.

nighttrain12
6/4/2013, 12:15 AM
Hold up now

Alabama won Game 2 and 3 to win the Championship last year, it could happen to Tennessee

You know the saying" Any given sunday"

Yep, everyone here was so sure this was going to be an easy finals and we just squeezed by in game 1. A win is a win but lets face it, that was somewhat of a low odds comeback after giving up 3 in the top of that extra inning.

SoonersFan
6/4/2013, 12:19 AM
Yep, everyone here was so sure this was going to be an easy finals and we just squeezed by in game 1. A win is a win but lets face it, that was somewhat of a low odds comeback after giving up 3 in the top of that extra inning.

Not me, I knew it was going to be a tough Finals and I was right, no oppenent will be easy in the Finals no matter what

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/4/2013, 01:05 AM

Like I said earlier, no one has really seen Tennessee's pitchers since they played basically no one outside of the SEC. The real turning point IMO was not sending Turang in the 3rd. The hitters from that point were acting like they were facing Cat Osterman again. They were letting that pitcher get ahead 0-2 and then fishing at stuff out of the strike zone. And the ones who did make contact had an abnormally high amount of check swing bunts.

6/4/2013, 01:12 AM
Like I said earlier, no one has really seen Tennessee's pitchers since they played basically no one outside of the SEC. The real turning point IMO was not sending Turang in the 3rd. The hitters from that point were acting like they were facing Cat Osterman again. They were letting that pitcher get ahead 0-2 and then fishing at stuff out of the strike zone. And the ones who did make contact had an abnormally high amount of check swing bunts.What do you know or think about the Sister Ivy? Is she much different or better than her sis?

Taxman71
6/4/2013, 07:45 AM

Spoke way too soon! Unless I meant the 2000 Sooners. Dang that was clutch.

badger
6/4/2013, 08:05 AM
Your final chance to vCash in on this team is posted to vBookie. vBet all your vCash on this unbeatable team while you still can, cuz let's face it... if they were gonna lose, they were gonna lose last night, but since they didn't, this is a safe vInvestment

jkjsooner
6/4/2013, 08:36 AM
Looking at the box score, I can't believe that they didn't give the first baseman an error on Rickett's popup that wound up with her on 2nd!

Very favorable scorer, IMO.

Not that it matters, I'll take any win, earned or unearned!

Just looked it up and didn't see an error either. However, I thought the error would be on 2B. 1B was out of position and 2B (who should cover any pop ups behind first base she can get to) came in and bobbled it.

Do I remember that incorrectly?

C&CDean
6/4/2013, 08:46 AM

Wrong. Some of our softball fans are acting more and more like our football fans though. Meh.

oudanny
6/4/2013, 09:02 AM
Great come-from-behind win. That was as exciting as it gets. Props to the Tennessee pitcher. Their coach made a huge mistake in pitching to Chamberlain with first base open. Congrats to our girls for taking advantage.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/4/2013, 10:09 AM
What do you know or think about the Sister Ivy? Is she much different or better than her sis?

Ivy throws harder and keeps the ball in the upper half of the zone (rise ball and mid rise). She throws a lot of strikes and thus gives up a lot more hits even though she has a lower ERA. To me she is much more hittable than Ellen because people are taking hacks at strikes not fishing at stuff that bounces before it gets there.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/4/2013, 10:10 AM
I think their coaches either had a brain far* or underestimated Chamberlain. Either way, i hope they will repeat the error.

I was half expecting them to start a land war in asia :(

jkjsooner
6/4/2013, 02:22 PM
We had a couple of women thrown out at third base. In the 11th we made the last out at third. I don't remember what the earlier one was.

In baseball it's an unwritten rule that you don't make the third out at third base. I assume this is because the main advantage to being at third vs second is that you can score on a sacrifice fly from third but with two outs this is not possible. In addition, the probability of not scoring from second on a single is low so it's not worth gambling to get to third with two outs.

I wonder if this is not an unwritten rule in softball because with the smaller field lots of times a single can score a player on third but not on second?

Salt City Sooner
6/4/2013, 02:51 PM
Patty's been doing that all year. You might make a perfect throw & get the runner, but a whole lot more often than not, she's going to MAKE you make that throw. That's what kind of surprised me a bit earlier when she held up Turang at 3rd on that relay, although after looking at it again on the DVR a few times, I do agree with her call there.

jkjsooner
6/4/2013, 03:07 PM
Patty's been doing that all year. You might make a perfect throw & get the runner, but a whole lot more often than not, she's going to MAKE you make that throw.

That's a good point. The general rule of thumb definitely applies to MLB and college baseball but like a lot of rules of thumb int he game applies less and less as the teams get less and less talented. In some youth teams you'll force a throw to third because they're unlikely to make a perfect throw and are just as likely to throw the ball away and score that run.

That being said, these girls have skills in the field. They're better than I ever was for sure especially considering just how bang/bang the plays are at 60 feet.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/4/2013, 04:02 PM
Patty's been doing that all year. You might make a perfect throw & get the runner, but a whole lot more often than not, she's going to MAKE you make that throw. That's what kind of surprised me a bit earlier when she held up Turang at 3rd on that relay, although after looking at it again on the DVR a few times, I do agree with her call there.

Yes that girl had a cannon (probably ~65 mph) but the odds were astronomically against her putting a 120 foot throw on a relay within 6 feet of home plate (which was where it was going to have to be to get Turang). Even that throw where she gunned Turang on that slap the ball started sailing high and to the right (and she had no angular momentum from the pivot on the relay) and it was about 1/2 the distance.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/4/2013, 04:07 PM
In addition, the probability of not scoring from second on a single is low so it's not worth gambling to get to third with two outs.

Baseball logic doesn't hold through to softball (coaching it I had to eliminate a lot of things that I took for granted). The problem with this scenario is that the outfielders aren't as deep as you think they are. The outfield fence is 70-80 feet closer than a baseball field and they play shallow. The throw from center on a single up the middle is about the same throw a baseball shortstop would make in the hole.

The reason that it seems so easy to score is how inaccurate girls are throwing a softball. For guys playing baseball, you typically have two fingers on the ball. A lot of these girls have to have 4 on the ball to hold it right and that causes all sorts of weird rotations.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/4/2013, 06:44 PM
Fixing my pre-OU National Championship meal. Marinated chicken, sautéed with green peppers, green and white onion, ****ake mushrooms, and tomatoes.

VA Sooner
6/4/2013, 07:16 PM
Ready for my national championship game.... comfortable in the armchair, beer in hand.

Play ball!

VA Sooner
6/4/2013, 07:17 PM
Baseball logic doesn't hold through to softball (coaching it I had to eliminate a lot of things that I took for granted). The problem with this scenario is that the outfielders aren't as deep as you think they are. The outfield fence is 70-80 feet closer than a baseball field and they play shallow. The throw from center on a single up the middle is about the same throw a baseball shortstop would make in the hole.

The reason that it seems so easy to score is how inaccurate girls are throwing a softball. For guys playing baseball, you typically have two fingers on the ball. A lot of these girls have to have 4 on the ball to hold it right and that causes all sorts of weird rotations.

Damn, JKM. Is there anything you're not knowledgeable about?

8timechamps
6/4/2013, 07:37 PM
Kind of a "meh" start. Although, this team always seems to look "meh" the first time through the order.

Also, Could Brianna Turang be any cuter?!

Collier11
6/4/2013, 07:39 PM
This team seems like it likes to fall behind and then crush a teams soul, hopefully we don't wait to fall behind tonight

8timechamps
6/4/2013, 07:44 PM
This team seems like it likes to fall behind and then crush a teams soul, hopefully we don't wait to fall behind tonight

It's almost like they need to create a challenge. Whatever works, just win the championship!

Collier11
6/4/2013, 07:46 PM
No doubt, this winter and spring has really been good for OU sports after a disappointing football season. Hoops team made the tourney a year before expected, softball possible national champion and baseball in the Super Regional

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/4/2013, 07:49 PM
Damn, JKM. Is there anything you're not knowledgeable about?

This is one piece of knowledge I'd have rather not learned. Teaching young girls athletics is so frustrating you start wondering how Bobby Knight was so restrained he only threw chairs.

8timechamps
6/4/2013, 07:54 PM
BOOM!

3 Run shot for Kelani!

Collier11
6/4/2013, 07:54 PM
BOOMER SOONER BABY!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/4/2013, 07:56 PM
That was so on the coaches. WTF throwing that low inside crap to a lefty...

Lott's Bandana
6/4/2013, 08:06 PM
That was so on the coaches. WTF throwing that low inside crap to a lefty...

...with first base open.

BlackwellSooner
6/4/2013, 08:09 PM
Gascoigne strikes out the side! WTG Michelle!

Lott's Bandana
6/4/2013, 08:09 PM
It really isn't fair having these two pitchers, is it?

8timechamps
6/4/2013, 08:19 PM
It really isn't fair having these two pitchers, is it?

Ain't it great?!

You can really tell that Renfro (the one from last night) is a different pitcher today. She's still pretty darn good, but clearly playing fatigued.

8timechamps
6/4/2013, 08:24 PM
I know Gascoign hasn't played as many games as Ricketts, but to have a 0.00 ERA at this point in the season speaks volumes about her ability.

Lott's Bandana
6/4/2013, 08:53 PM
I know Gascoign hasn't played as many games as Ricketts, but to have a 0.00 ERA at this point in the season speaks volumes about her ability.

I got to see her pitch against little aggie the last weekend of the season.
Her changeup looks like a big fat balloon, drifting in when you see it from behind plate. Of course, you've swung at it three times by the time it gets to the plate.

BlackwellSooner
6/4/2013, 09:04 PM

To be specific, I think that her ERA is 0.091

BlackwellSooner
6/4/2013, 09:11 PM

To be specific, I think that her ERA is 0.88

8timechamps
6/4/2013, 09:13 PM
To be specific, I think that her ERA is 0.091

See, I've just been listening to the ESPN commentary, I was too lazy to look it up myself.

Collier11
6/4/2013, 09:16 PM
1 out left

BlackwellSooner
6/4/2013, 09:20 PM
OU SOONERS, NATIONAL CHAMPS!

yermom
6/4/2013, 09:21 PM
well, the bottom of the 7th was pretty anticlimactic

it's pretty nice to play for it at home...

8timechamps
6/4/2013, 09:25 PM
Congrats to the 2013 National Champions!

What a team, what a year!!!

BlackwellSooner
6/4/2013, 09:25 PM
well, the bottom of the 7th was pretty anticlimactic

it's pretty nice to play for it at home...

Yeah, it is nice for a change...

nighttrain12
6/4/2013, 09:33 PM
Was that really a strike on the last pitch, LOL!

Blue
6/4/2013, 09:33 PM
Kind of a "meh" start. Although, this team always seems to look "meh" the first time through the order.

Also, Could Brianna Turang be any cuter?!

Yes if she was Destinee Martinez...mrowl

blacktop
6/4/2013, 09:34 PM
Thank you Keilani, thank you Michelle, thank you Coach Patty, thank you OU! I like the sign Fight, Faith, Finish. Boomer!

Soonerfan88
6/4/2013, 09:41 PM
This entire team is just class. Patty Gasso is a wonderful coach and even better mentor to these young women.

rock on sooner
6/4/2013, 09:43 PM

Yup, sure was, just took four and a half minutes to get to
the plate....wotta changeup!!!!!

jkjsooner
6/4/2013, 09:45 PM
Great win! Good job girls making the school and state proud.

One a side note, someone needs to tell that announcer that softballs/baseballs fly further in humid air than dry air. Humidity is caused by water vapor which is less dense than dry air. It might feel thick and sticky (most likely because you have a film of sweat on you) but it isn't thicker. If she would have said that once I would have let it go but I heard her say it at least 3 times.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/baseball/howfar3.html

6/4/2013, 09:50 PM
Was that really a strike on the last pitch, LOL!I saw the batter duck away, and the next thing I saw was the umpire calling a strike, and the place explodes with glee.(If they had any replays of the last pitch, I missed them)

Lott's Bandana
6/4/2013, 09:57 PM
"We ran into the '27 Yankees."

- Tenn Co-Head Coach

Well said.

jiminy
6/4/2013, 10:02 PM
Might have called the batter stepping into the zone

SoonerMarkVA
6/4/2013, 11:23 PM
She sure looked to me like she was trying to get hit.

Soonerus
6/5/2013, 12:56 AM

I was sitting directly behind home plate, it was a strike...a tremendous slow curve ball...a thing of beauty....

Salt City Sooner
6/5/2013, 03:12 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/softball/story/_/id/9343173/2013-women-college-world-series-oklahoma-sooners-dominate-tennessee-lady-vols-win-ncaa-championship

Turd_Ferguson
6/5/2013, 06:20 AM
I got to see her pitch against little aggie the last weekend of the season.
Her changeup looks like a big fat balloon, drifting in when you see it from behind plate. Of course, you've swung at it three times by the time it gets to the plate.

That is probably the sickest change up I've ever seen. 64/69/44. Wow.

Boomer.....
6/5/2013, 07:54 AM
This team has to rank near the top of best teams ever.

Spray
6/5/2013, 08:03 AM

It sure is... until next year's OU team. :)

oudanny
6/5/2013, 08:17 AM
This team was fun to watch. Congrats!

SoonersFan
6/5/2013, 08:25 AM

What about the 2000 Sooners championship team?

Speaking of the 2000 Sooners championship team...

Which championship team is better? 2000 or 2013?

badger
6/5/2013, 08:40 AM
Our softball team caused the first-ever vBillion payoff on vBookie :)

And they gave me a new avatar :D

badger
6/5/2013, 08:44 AM

That's like asking who your favorite son/daughter/kid is :)

Since I only have one, I have no idea if parents do that or avoid at all costs!

C&CDean
6/5/2013, 08:59 AM

2013, and it ain't even close. Top to bottom depth, 2 uber-quality pitchers, National POY, Big-12 POY, best average hitter in the country, speed, guts, determination. Not only is this the better of these two teams, this is the best NCAA softball team to ever take the diamond. Eff UCLA/Arizona. None of their great teams are as good as this year's OU team.

Soonerfan88
6/5/2013, 09:20 AM
From a talent standpoint, unquestionably 2013 is better.

From a fan standpoint, all championship teams will be tied at the top for me.

MsProudSooner
6/5/2013, 10:00 AM
I saw the batter duck away, and the next thing I saw was the umpire calling a strike, and the place explodes with glee.(If they had any replays of the last pitch, I missed them)

Someone on Land Thieves posted this gif:

http://s4.imgload.info/uzvae9ac2v8mjcr.gif

ouflak
6/5/2013, 10:17 AM
Anybody know where we can find highlights?

badger
6/5/2013, 10:18 AM

lol plate crowder :)
http://s4.imgload.info/uzvae9ac2v8mjcr.gif

I don't blame Rocky Topper --- I used to do the same thing in summer slowpitch so I could more easily tell where the ball would land... wait, that slowpitch, not may-lose-a-knee-doing-this-crowding thing :P

badger
6/5/2013, 10:19 AM
Anybody know where we can find highlights?
Here ya go (http://www.ncaa.com/video#!softball/2013-06-03/wcws-oklahoma-takes-game-1-dramatic-fashion)
(via NCAA.com)

ouflak
6/5/2013, 10:45 AM
Thanks! Anybody know where we can find highlights with sooner announcers?

zeke
6/5/2013, 11:19 AM
Congrats to the Sooner Softball Team !

deweydw
6/5/2013, 12:02 PM
That is probably the sickest change up I've ever seen. 64/69/44. Wow.

That off speed pitch threw me for a loop just watching on tv. Looks like she has her regular wind up. Full head of steam. And then the ball seems to go in slow motion. It was freaky to watch. At first I thought something was wrong with the HD.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/5/2013, 12:13 PM
That off speed pitch threw me for a loop just watching on tv. Looks like she has her regular wind up. Full head of steam. And then the ball seems to go in slow motion. It was freaky to watch. At first I thought something was wrong with the HD.

Its called a flip change. When her hand comes down she actually rolls it over and then flips it at the plate with her palm down taking almost all of the speed off of it. Strangely enough, Amanda Freid had the exact same pitch in 2000 for UCLA and it got crushed over the fence for a HR.

6/5/2013, 01:09 PM

http://s4.imgload.info/uzvae9ac2v8mjcr.gifThanks. What I didn't notice when it happened was that the batter was almost standing on the plate. Good and brave call by the ump.

Lott's Bandana
6/5/2013, 02:39 PM

Because of the new parity in the sport, better athletes, two dominant pitchers and killer lineup, the Commentator made this gem of a point last night after the game, proclaiming this year's OU team to be the best ever:

"Lauren Chamberlain leads the NCAA's in RBI's...WHILE BATTING LEADOFF ALL YEAR!!!!"

I've never heard of this, thought about it, then fell off my couch.

rock on sooner
6/5/2013, 02:43 PM
Because of the new parity in the sport, better athletes, two dominant pitchers and killer lineup, the Commentator made this gem of a point last night after the game, proclaiming this year's OU team to be the best ever:

"Lauren Chamberlain leads the NCAA's in RBI's...WHILE BATTING LEADOFF ALL YEAR!!!!"

Points to the quality of 7-8-9 hitters...super ball club!

Lott's Bandana
6/5/2013, 03:08 PM
Points to the quality of 7-8-9 hitters...super ball club!

Yep!

And the number of solo shots she had out of the 30 total HRs for the year.

8timechamps
6/5/2013, 05:27 PM

There are a couple of Zona and UCLA teams that were up there, and even Tennessee had a team about a decade ago that was among the best, but I don't think there has been a better team at the college level than this year's Sooners. At least from an offensive standpoint. I've never seen a team be so complete from top to bottom. I'm also not sure there have ever been two better pitchers on the same team than the two OU had this year. Ranking "all time" teams is always subjective, but this Sooner squad has to be right up there.

Regarding Chamberlain, I'm with you. I knew she was leading the NCAA's in RBIs, but I had never put it together with the fact that she was the lead-off hitter. That just magnifies how great the line-up is (especially 7-8-9).

Next year will be interesting. Chamberlain and Vest return, and I think Georgia Casey is actually being groomed to pitch next year...but, there are a lot of pieces to be replaced. The best part of winning it all is that recruiting should be a lot of fun for Gasso & Co. this year!

tulsaoilerfan
6/5/2013, 08:43 PM
I find it utterly unbelievable that they outscored their opponents by over 400 runs this season; now that's a dominant team!!

Sabanball
6/5/2013, 11:00 PM
Congrats on winning the WCWS. With all that's happened lately in your state, it's nice to see you all be able to smile about something. Boomer Sooner!!