5/24/2013, 07:31 PM
What are we to pizzed about? Seems to me that the Okie Senators
are on the wrong side of the issue. Personally, I don't think ANY
knucklehead orta not deny any disaster help. I thot that's what the
Fed tax system wuz fer....

8timechamps
5/24/2013, 07:35 PM
Didn't **** me off.

I moved from OKC in 1994, and while I absolutely feel in love with Colorado, I miss Oklahoma. Strike that, I don't miss Oklahoma, I miss the people of Oklahoma. There is no place in the world with the kind of folks you find in Oklahoma, and I think it comes from exactly what that article talks about...disasters. People typically feel closer to one another after a disaster, and since Oklahoma has had more than any other state, it only stands to reason that the people of Oklahoma feel close to other Okies.

The people of the state are resilient, I have no question that Oklahoma will come back from this stronger than ever. Not a better group of people in the world. Including Colorado.

olevetonahill
5/24/2013, 08:00 PM
The Comments are what Pizzed me OFF

SoonerStormchaser
5/25/2013, 03:04 AM
Hate to break it to you Howard, but folks always sound more knowledgeable and macho over the internet and feel entitled to post whatever they want because there's no consequence. Thus they feel the need to politicize every little news event into either of the two categories:
1. Obama is evil
2. Republicans are evil

Go look at just about every news article on CNN and read the comments. Makes me mad I defend these ****ers' right to free speech.

8timechamps
5/25/2013, 12:58 PM
The Comments are what Pizzed me OFF

Yeah, I rarely read comments on any story. There are always trolls and morons posting. Kinda like here, just a lot more of them. :)

KantoSooner
5/28/2013, 10:50 AM
Not much you can do about being at the intersection of warm/wet air and dry/cold air unless it bugs you enough to move away. What we can do is to mandate some construction practices (like 'hurricane' tie downs on roofs) and encourage people to dig basements and/or put in shelters.
Federal Flood Insurance is another beast all together. Why on Earth would we insure houses built on flood planes or on barrier islands? I know it's beautiful, but there's a 100% chance that it will be blown/flooded out of existence at some point. So, coastal Texas, New Jersey, Carolina's etc? I would support an elimination on federal insurance there. If someone wishes to build there, let them go to Lloyd's or some other underwriter for their policies.

C&CDean
5/28/2013, 10:59 AM
Coburn's comments? Hell, I agree with them. If people would keep themselves properly insured, etc. we wouldn't need so much relief. There's way too many agricultural freebies as well. And I make part of my living in agriculture.

badger
5/28/2013, 11:04 AM
Hate to break it to you Howard, but folks always sound more knowledgeable and macho over the internet and feel entitled to post whatever they want because there's no consequence.

Ah yes, the Internet dickwad theory. It's why I encourage anyone who mistakes me for a real Modador to not take message board comments to heart.

Coburn's comments? Hell, I agree with them. If people would keep themselves properly insured, etc. we wouldn't need so much relief. There's way too many agricultural freebies as well. And I make part of my living in agriculture.

I love that Oklahoma for the most part is trying to take care of itself. But I'm also not naive enough to think that translates to other areas. We rely a lot of federal funds.

C&CDean
5/28/2013, 11:13 AM
Ah yes, the Internet dickwad theory. It's why I encourage anyone who mistakes me for a real Modador to not take message board comments to heart.

I love that Oklahoma for the most part is trying to take care of itself. But I'm also not naive enough to think that translates to other areas. We rely a lot of federal funds.

No, "we" don't rely on a lot of federal funds. A lot of y'all must though. I know some farmers who survive only because of the crop/drought/flood/seed programs the USDA has. I'm good with crop insurance, but I have an issue with crop assistance. If you're going to farm, you need to be financially capable of sustaining losses without relying on the government to bale you out - especially when you make stupid decisions about planting/cultivating/harvesting.

As far as tornadoes and crap, I have insurance. Full replacement value insurance. You'd have to be a fool to live in Oklahoma and not.

C&CDean
5/28/2013, 11:38 AM
And by "y'all" I didn't mean "you" Badger girl.

MsProudSooner
5/28/2013, 03:44 PM
Coburn's comments? Hell, I agree with them. If people would keep themselves properly insured, etc. we wouldn't need so much relief.

That's true to a certain extent. But I have read of insurance companies trying to weasel out of paying claims. Insurance companies love to say that damage from hurricanes is actually flood damage so they don't have to pay. I remember reading a quote from a homeowner that said, "Yes, there was water damage - after the hurricane blew the roof off!"

Also, isn't much of the assistance people get from FEMA in the form of low interest loans or temporary housing? It's not like it's a gift.

Do cities carry insurance to cover all the infrastructure that has to be re-built after a tornado?

BigTip
5/28/2013, 05:39 PM
Woo Hoo!!

We're Number 1!