PDA

View Full Version : So just a couple of days since the tornado

achiro
5/23/2013, 08:06 PM
and I'm pretty sure there has been more clean up and infrastructure repair than had been done in Jersey and NY a few months post Sandy. No folks standing in front of the cameras screaming, "we need help, we're dying out here", just a bunch of people working hard to clean up the mess. I really love Oklahoma.

olevetonahill
5/23/2013, 08:13 PM
Ditto

rock on sooner
5/23/2013, 08:24 PM
and I'm pretty sure there has been more clean up and infrastructure repair than had been done in Jersey and NY a few months post Sandy. No folks standing in front of the cameras screaming, "we need help, we're dying out here", just a bunch of people working hard to clean up the mess. I really love Oklahoma.

Having been born and raised in OK, I couldn't have more pride or concern/
angst for Okies and would shout it to the mountain top! But, I think that
your post is uncalled for and actually demeans Okie pride and work ethic to
make that comment. Just my opinion....

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/23/2013, 08:49 PM
Having been born and raised in OK, I couldn't have more pride or concern/
angst for Okies and would shout it to the mountain top! But, I think that
your post is uncalled for and actually demeans Okie pride and work ethic to
make that comment. Just my opinion....American spirit and love is alive in the Sooner state, unlike some other parts of the country. You just being PC or what?

rock on sooner
5/23/2013, 09:04 PM
American spirit and love is alive in the Sooner state, unlike some other parts of the country. You just being PC or what?

Nope, just think that comment was out of line, as I said, just
my opinion...

olevetonahill
5/23/2013, 09:32 PM
Nope, just think that comment was out of line, as I said, just
my opinion...

I generally agree with ya Bro on a lot of stuff. But whats wrong with his Post?

achiro
5/23/2013, 09:41 PM

Yeah, I might understand if your problem was that I think a lot of the NY and NJ folks are worthless POS that need and expect that someone is going to do everything for them? Should I have compared hard working Okies to the Katrina scumbags instead? I saw a news report about a month ago that showed a perfectly able bodied couple in NJ crying because they still didn't have sheet rock on their walls...pick up a damn hammer and fix it!
I still don't understand how complementing Oklahoma for their work ethic, complementing companies like OG&E and ONG for getting in there right away to start fixing, or complementing the state leadership for getting it done instead of worrying about politics or unions is insulting to Okies???

Midtowner
5/23/2013, 09:47 PM
It's hard to compare things. Katrina left homes flooded for quite some time, Sandy caused $37 billion in damage give or take. Katrina caused $81.2 billion. This tornado may have caused $2 billion. Yes, we're doing an awesome job and I'm proud, but the disasters aren't at all comparable.

That said, the lines for folks looking for handouts after Katrina looked similar in size to those here with Oklahomans wanting to volunteer and help their fellow man. Let's be proud of what we've done here, but let's not pretend these disasters are comparable.

achiro
5/23/2013, 10:24 PM
It's hard to compare things. Katrina left homes flooded for quite some time, Sandy caused $37 billion in damage give or take. Katrina caused $81.2 billion. This tornado may have caused $2 billion. Yes, we're doing an awesome job and I'm proud, but the disasters aren't at all comparable.

That said, the lines for folks looking for handouts after Katrina looked similar in size to those here with Oklahomans wanting to volunteer and help their fellow man. Let's be proud of what we've done here, but let's not pretend these disasters are comparable.
You are pretty much agreeing with my point and disagreeing with something else. I'm not comparing the disasters by size. I don't care if your house is one of 10 or 10,000, it's the response to the disaster. Now before someone says something about their friend in NY that built their house back by hand in 2 weeks, I know I'm stereotyping and that there are great people everywhere as are scumbags, my point is a huge generalization but I stand by it.

olevetonahill
5/23/2013, 10:30 PM
Yup, To those who lost EVERYTHING. It dont much matter how many others lost everything right along with them.
I get yer point bro.

BigTip
5/23/2013, 10:35 PM
achiro, I totally understand where you coming from and I agree whole heartily.
Something from Katrina stands out vividly in my memory. A woman was angrily screaming at the camera, "Somebody better get down here and help us!" Not a plea for help, but a demand for help. It just so capsulized the sense of entitlement some sectors of our nation feel. And so unwilling to try to help themselves. It was really sickening.

All you see on the news now is Oklahomans saying, "We can do this."

I was watching Brian Williams on NBC doing his on site coverage. You could tell that he was impressed with how people were handling it all. Every time he did a little story, he would genuinely say thank you to the person he was talking to, and warmly shake their hand. That man has been around the country and has seen lots of disaster areas. I don't remember seeing that type of reaction from him before.

achiro
5/23/2013, 10:48 PM
Dude from Fox News was about the same. He even said something about how incredibly impressed he was by the response. A line of utility trucks waiting to get into a neighborhood just blew his mind. He didn't say it outright but certainly hinted comparisons to jersey.

Midtowner
5/24/2013, 01:25 AM
achiro, I totally understand where you coming from and I agree whole heartily.
Something from Katrina stands out vividly in my memory. A woman was angrily screaming at the camera, "Somebody better get down here and help us!" Not a plea for help, but a demand for help. It just so capsulized the sense of entitlement some sectors of our nation feel. And so unwilling to try to help themselves. It was really sickening.

All you see on the news now is Oklahomans saying, "We can do this."

I was watching Brian Williams on NBC doing his on site coverage. You could tell that he was impressed with how people were handling it all. Every time he did a little story, he would genuinely say thank you to the person he was talking to, and warmly shake their hand. That man has been around the country and has seen lots of disaster areas. I don't remember seeing that type of reaction from him before.

If the tornado had hit a different part of the city, you'd have seen the same sort of behavior as Katrina folks.

Instead, it hit a middle class neighborhood.

We're not special. We have turds too.

olevetonahill
5/24/2013, 01:32 AM
If the tornado had hit a different part of the city, you'd have seen the same sort of behavior as Katrina folks.

Instead, it hit a middle class neighborhood.

We're not special. We have turds too.

If an elephant had wings it would be a dayum big Bird. If a Frog had wings it wouldnt bump its *** when it jumped.
If you wernt such an areshole. You would be a maybe OK guy to be around.

rock on sooner
5/24/2013, 07:07 AM

Would've, imo, been nothing wrong with it, except I don't think it was
necessary to use "standing in front of a camera ,screaming, we're dying
here, we need help..." Could've talked about his pride, like in #7.

achiro
5/24/2013, 07:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6_GjAqQeek

olevetonahill
5/24/2013, 07:52 AM
Would've, imo, been nothing wrong with it, except I don't think it was
necessary to use "standing in front of a camera ,screaming, we're dying
here, we need help..." Could've talked about his pride, like in #7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6_GjAqQeek

Heh.

rock on sooner
5/24/2013, 07:58 AM
Achiro, I don't need to watch the Youtube to know what you are talking
about. What I voiced was a feeling that somehow you lumped Okies in
with some really obnoxious folks on the East Coast. I took offense with
that. The interviews I've seen with people in Moore show dignity and
determination, the LT Gov talked about how strong Oklahomans are and,
as an Okie, I don't think that East Coast comparison even needed to be
there..................that's all...it was MY opinion.

olevetonahill
5/24/2013, 08:01 AM

Heh, Opinions are like matlocks , everyone has one:triumphant:
We see his OP different bro. I dint see him lumpin em in but comparin Us to those Crybabies

achiro
5/24/2013, 08:24 AM
I'm pretty sure you misinterpreted my OP

cleller
5/24/2013, 08:29 AM
^^

Yep, I took it as nothing but a positive view of the Okies.

sooneron
5/24/2013, 08:42 AM
I know I'm stereotyping and that there are great people everywhere as are scumbags, my point is a huge generalization but I stand by it.

Well, this is true.

Living in this region, and seeing what people were dealing with compared to Moore et al is comparing apples to oranges. A lot of people in the Sandy affected areas didn't get power for MONTHS. The train service to the Rockaways was just restored last week(You don't even know where the Rockaways are). How are people going to get there? It's a frigging small coastal island that can't handle very much traffic. There are POS everywhere. I'm proud of my Okie roots this week, but I saw people driving from neighborhood to neighborhood collecting for affected families. The scope of Sandy is tremendous. Maybe you ought to keep that in mind Mr. Idon'treallyknowwhatI'mtalkingaboutbecauseIwasfedn ewsfootageandwasn'tactuallythere.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/05/nyregion/volunteers-and-donations-flock-to-areas-affected-by-hurricane-sandy.html

achiro
5/24/2013, 09:01 AM
Well, this is true.

Living in this region, and seeing what people were dealing with compared to Moore et al is comparing apples to oranges. A lot of people in the Sandy affected areas didn't get power for MONTHS. The train service to the Rockaways was just restored last week(You don't even know where the Rockaways are). How are people going to get there? It's a frigging small coastal island that can't handle very much traffic. There are POS everywhere. I'm proud of my Okie roots this week, but I saw people driving from neighborhood to neighborhood collecting for affected families. The scope of Sandy is tremendous. Maybe you ought to keep that in mind Mr. Idon'treallyknowwhatI'mtalkingaboutbecauseIwasfedn ewsfootageandwasn'tactuallythere.
You also just made my point. Months to restore power, rubble still sitting in areas, those are issues created by the politics. New Yorkers still waiting on insurance is a travesty. (Funny that the NY legislature got gun laws passed in just a few days though) That's politics in the NY. Unions and red tape preventing clean up, yep that's ok.

1000 people showed up yesterday to clean up a cemetery in Moore, when they were done(in just a few hours) you would never know a tornado went through there. There is so much help showing up in Moore each day that some are being turned away. Did 1000 people pull up in Jersey at any point to help each other out? Did colleges open up housing for victims? Did apartment complexes offer empty apartments to victims? Did dozer crews just show up and ask where they should start without expecting to get paid? Did businesses shut down so their employees could go help with clean up?

achiro
5/24/2013, 09:13 AM
OU ready to keep victims all summer
By Zachary Snowdon Smith
Posted: 05/24/2013 1:54 AM

Juan Flores moved into the Walker Center dormitory Wednesday at the University of Oklahoma. He was shown to his new room, pre-furnished with a bed, desk and closet. He spent his first evening watching football on one of the communal TVs in Walker Center’s lobby.

But Flores isn’t a freshman — he’s a 54-year-old resident of Moore. Flores’ mobile home was destroyed Monday by the tornado that also robbed hundreds of others of their homes. Now, more than 300 of those people have turned to OU for help.

“I’m used to giving,” Flores said. “I’m not used to getting charity from other people. I don’t know how to act.”

The newly homeless began arriving at the Walker dorms at 9 p.m. Monday, said Erin Simpson, Walker Center coordinator.

Most arriving displaced people are being housed at the Walker or Cate Center dorms, said Amy Buchanan, OU Department of Housing and Food Services spokesperson. Families with pets are staying at the Kraettli Apartments on the south edge of campus.

For Simpson, the last few days have been finals week all over again. She’s been helping displaced families find quarters that fit their needs for more than 36 hours, broken only by a 90-minute nap.

Volunteers’ around-the-clock labor has been aided by generous donations from the Norman community and OU departments. A call for diapers, food and other supplies received such a copious response that needs were met in less than 24 hours. Organizers now request only donations of gift cards, Buchanan said.

To accommodate the donations, organizers have converted a dozen Walker Center dorm rooms into makeshift storerooms.

“We literally have a room full of toilet paper,” Simpson said. “We have rooms and rooms of shampoo. ... Pretty insane, huh? It’s really heartening.”

OU’s Department of Housing and Food Services has scrambled not only to feed and clothe the displaced but also to offer them entertainment in the form of art contests, relay races and a screening of “The Sandlot.”

“That’s what I love about Oklahoma,” Flores said. “In Oklahoma, when things like this happen, they just get up and dust their jeans off. They come together. ... I’m from Texas, but I love Oklahoma.”

Organizers don’t know how long the situation will last, but they’re prepared to accommodate displaced people at least until the end of summer break in August, Buchanan said. Walker Center could house about another 1,100 people, if necessary.

“Our entire university community has really pulled together,” Simpson said. “That, to me, is what it means to be a Sooner.”

badger
5/24/2013, 09:28 AM
It probably is an apples and oranges comparison, since Sandy wasn't a tornado.

But yes, very proud of Oklahoma.

rock on sooner
5/24/2013, 09:48 AM
I'm pretty sure you misinterpreted my OP

Fair statement...my apologies...

sooneron
5/24/2013, 09:55 AM
You also just made my point. Months to restore power, rubble still sitting in areas, those are issues created by the politics. New Yorkers still waiting on insurance is a travesty.

I didn't realize the claims were all taken care of this week in OK. That's AMAZING!! You're being very premature here...

(Funny that the NY legislature got gun laws passed in just a few days though) That's politics in the NY. Unions and red tape preventing clean up, yep that's ok.

Oh, are we now talking about the amazing legislature of Oklahoma now? It's no more dysfunctional than anywhere else.

1000 people showed up yesterday to clean up a cemetery in Moore, when they were done(in just a few hours) you would never know a tornado went through there. There is so much help showing up in Moore each day that some are being turned away. Did 1000 people pull up in Jersey at any point to help each other out?

Did you read the article I pasted? Obviously, not. Plenty of volunteers showed up where they could. You seem to have some disconnect with reality. People could just go to areas, there was this thing called flooding. It was everywhere. Here's where your reality also :succs: , Oklahoma is land locked, you can get to Moore from pretty much 4-8 different directions. Not so with say... Long Island or the NJ coast. Add to the fact that gas stations didn't have power and there were lines at the ones that did, it's pretty amazing that there were so many volunteers.

Did colleges open up housing for victims? Did apartment complexes offer empty apartments to victims? Did dozer crews just show up and ask where they should start without expecting to get paid? Did businesses shut down so their employees could go help with clean up?
Here's where your "never really been there" ignorance shines. Because you would know that there aren't a lot of college dorms in the NY area. Duh. Not only that, but school was mid semester when Sandy hit. Duh. Giving away a student's dorm probably would not have gone over so well. Hotels, schools churches all took people in if they had power and some without. Friends took in friends and even strangers. By the way, they just ribbon cut a 5 MILE SECTION of boardwalk today.
smh. You're a ****ing brick wall.

Curly Bill
5/24/2013, 09:57 AM
The Northeast still sucks!!!

olevetonahill
5/24/2013, 10:02 AM

Dayum Yankee Libs.

sooneron
5/24/2013, 10:21 AM

It just might suck, but don't be intellectually lazy... (Not saying that you are)

achiro
5/24/2013, 10:47 AM
Heh, you edited in the article I hadn't read so whatever. My point still stands and you missed it. To find you actually defending the NY legislation pretty much ends my discussion here. I'm off, have a wonderful weekend folks and remember what Memorial Day is all about.

texaspokieokie
5/24/2013, 10:58 AM
People in NOLA (some of them) are still waiting for FEMA to fix things. Some of them came to Dallas & are still here.

People in Moore (with lots of outside help) are getting things done & will start rebuilding in a short time. No waiting for FEMA.

Obama will soon be there to tell Okies how bad the storm was, & how much the Federal guvermint is gonna help.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/24/2013, 11:01 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^This x 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Where are the Katrina whiners as well?????????

badger
5/24/2013, 11:03 AM
Obama will soon be there to tell Okies how bad the storm was, & how much the Federal guvermint is gonna help.

Maybe our state's goal is to make everything look like a tornado never passed through here in time for the president's visit?

Fallin: And this is where a cemetery was destroyed...
Obama: ...???
Fallin: And this entire neighborhood was leveled.
Obama: Um... governor...
Fallin: Motorists have fully cooperated with our request to avoid the interstate, as we need volunteers and public safety officials to have access first.
(Obama stares at bustling I-35 traffic stunned)
Fallin: We have a lot of volunteers, Mr. President.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/24/2013, 11:06 AM
People in NOLA (some of them) are still waiting for FEMA to fix things. Some of them came to Dallas & are still here.

And still in Houston and my neighborhood in Clear Lake. They will NEVER leave. The section 8'ers are ruining our nice neighborhood, all the apartments are full of them. New busted *** Hoopdy is on the street with the front axle broken. One "baby's daddy", I'm guessing on welfare walks his kid around the neighborhood (nice thought, but...), his elastic band pants "waist" band is down by his "johnson" with his underwear showing up to his waist. He is always either holding up his pants by one hand on the band or on his johnson walking around with his kid... This is the future of the country...idiocracy...

texaspokieokie
5/24/2013, 11:08 AM
Fallin: When are you gonna get the Keystone pipeline started ?? Soon as this mess is fixed we can use the Keystone jobs.

Oh, by the way, did you notice that every county in OK went against you in both elections ??

I think AF! is all warmed up & ready for you to leave.

texaspokieokie
5/24/2013, 11:10 AM
THA Good one !! but sad !!

5/24/2013, 12:06 PM
Obama will soon be there to tell Okies how bad the storm was, & how much the Federal guvermint is gonna help.and, don't be surprised if the federal help is WAY sparse or even nonexistant. After all, OK is a red state.

picasso
5/24/2013, 12:40 PM
I'm proud to say one of the first responders in Moore was the Baptist Church. The same evil group who along with my wife did clean up and rebuilding in New Orleans.
Let's give props when they're due.

5/24/2013, 12:54 PM
I'm proud to say one of the first responders in Moore was the Baptist Church. The same evil group who along with my wife did clean up and rebuilding in New Orleans.
Let's give props when they're due.but, but, those are Christians, and no better than, heck maybe worse than, the Islamists(according to some on this board)

badger
5/24/2013, 12:59 PM
and, don't be surprised if the federal help is WAY sparse or even nonexistant. After all, OK is a red state.

Obama: Space shuttle for YOU California, and for YOU, New York... but definitely not for Houston and DEFINITELY not Tulsa. Hahahahahahahahahahaha

sooneron
5/24/2013, 02:49 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^This x 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Yes, comparing a strip mall community with a majority of the EASTERN SEABOARD makes complete sense. It's quaint, actually.

BigTip
5/26/2013, 08:22 PM
Yes, comparing a strip mall community with a majority of the EASTERN SEABOARD makes complete sense. It's quaint, actually.

I'm not exactly sure why you are taking offense against those of us that are taking pride in how Oklahoma people are handling their disaster better than other parts of the country handled theirs. But it is true that things are moving along much better and faster than the other disasters. I forgot what newscaster it was, but he was amazed that the Warren theater was repairing their sign the next day. People and business aren't waiting for government help. They are just doing.

I will say that the flooding that happened a couple of years ago brought comparisons to Katrina. They showed pictures of people in Iowa, or somewhere up there, volunteering with sandbagging. Also the news would report that no requests for aid had been made. So other parts of the country are capable of fending for themselves too.

8timechamps
5/26/2013, 08:37 PM
I think the point some are making is that you can compliment Oklahoma pide/work ethic without knocking folks that went through completely different disasters. There is no way to really compare a tornado to a hurricane (in numbers affected), and I'm sure there were plenty of folks in both NOLA and the upper east coast that didn't wait around for people to fix it for them.

It just happens that the people yelling for someone to help them get the camera attention a lot easier than someone rolling up their sleeves and digging in. That's the media society we live in.

MsProudSooner
5/26/2013, 10:32 PM
I think the point some are making is that you can compliment Oklahoma pide/work ethic without knocking folks that went through completely different disasters. There is no way to really compare a tornado to a hurricane (in numbers affected), and I'm sure there were plenty of folks in both NOLA and the upper east coast that didn't wait around for people to fix it for them.

It just happens that the people yelling for someone to help them get the camera attention a lot easier than someone rolling up their sleeves and digging in. That's the media society we live in.

+1

Perhaps we clean up quickly because we've had so much practice in the last few years.

We've often seen comments/complaints about the people who lost their false teeth in the debris pile being the first to seek out a camera. The same type of phenomenon exists on the coasts.

8timechamps
5/27/2013, 04:25 PM
+1

Perhaps we clean up quickly because we've had so much practice in the last few years.

We've often seen comments/complaints about the people who lost their false teeth in the debris pile being the first to seek out a camera. The same type of phenomenon exists on the coasts.

Well put.

sooneron
5/27/2013, 09:03 PM
Well put.

Yes, there is this and there is thumping your chest that your people are better than other people while you are not doing **** yourself as a volunteer. I volunteered to take clothes etc to areas that were affected by Sandy. What did achiro do? Yeah, thought so...

And someone point me to the part where there was a snowstorm two day after the Moore tornado last week.

8timechamps
5/27/2013, 09:31 PM
Yes, there is this and there is thumping your chest that your people are better than other people while you are not doing **** yourself as a volunteer. I volunteered to take clothes etc to areas that were affected by Sandy. What did achiro do? Yeah, thought so...

And someone point me to the part where there was a snowstorm two day after the Moore tornado last week.

I just thought it could have been said without piling on anyone else. I have no idea what it was like in any of those disasters, but as people of the same country, I supported everyone. It doesn't make any of us look good to make other look bad.

As I said earlier (and msproudsooner echoed), the camera is always going to gravitate to the folks yelling (the squeaky wheel gets the oil).

Turd_Ferguson
5/27/2013, 09:38 PM

Why do you have the small man syndrome when it comes to East Cost pussies vs Okies? How did you get to those areas since you said they were flooded? How do you know what Achiro did or didn't do? Why are you acting like a doosh?

achiro
5/27/2013, 11:09 PM
Ron is just having fun making believe that he knows all about what I know and what I do. He also has a real hard time even understanding my initial point apparently. All I've talked about is the immediate response. There will be tears, there will be frustrations, there will be insurance issues, I never said there wouldn't be. You can get all butt hurt about it but the reality is that over and over the people that have been around several of these types of disasters have commented on how amazing it is to watch the Okie response and that they've never seen anything like it. On another note, I heard that some New Yorkers were here helping clean up and that's pretty dang cool. They must be from Upstate...

stoopified
5/27/2013, 11:11 PM
We're not special. We have turds too. heresay,of course we are special,we are Sooners.

sooneron
5/29/2013, 08:53 AM
Why do you have the small man syndrome when it comes to East Cost pussies vs Okies?
Who is the small man, the one that touts the efforts of his people WITHOUT making it a "we're soooo much better than them" argument, when the argument is apples to oranges? Or is it the guy that that makes said argument.

How did you get to those areas since you said they were flooded?

Like many people, I got to the area after the flood waters receded. I could only make two trips, as the gas stations were closed in every direction for about 50 miles.

How do you know what Achiro did or didn't do? Why are you acting like a doosh?

Educated guess and the dooshy posts begats dooshy reply.

sooneron
5/29/2013, 09:02 AM
Ron is just having fun making believe that he knows all about what I know and what I do. He also has a real hard time even understanding my initial point apparently. All I've talked about is the immediate response. There will be tears, there will be frustrations, there will be insurance issues, I never said there wouldn't be. You can get all butt hurt about it but the reality is that over and over the people that have been around several of these types of disasters have commented on how amazing it is to watch the Okie response and that they've never seen anything like it. On another note, I heard that some New Yorkers were here helping clean up and that's pretty dang cool. They must be from Upstate...

You know your initial point wasn't just about Okies. You know that.

Really? It was ignorant. I easily pointed that out, though. Comparing the two events is laughable. I feel bad for Moore, but they had better be good at this, it happens too often. 8X has pretty much voiced my sentiments on the subject. I don't need to add anything else.

achiro
5/29/2013, 11:00 AM
I've got a tip for you Ron, don't ever take the written word for more than the author says it means. You have taken what I intended and completely screwed it around. I will certainly admit that I probably didn't do the best job in writing what I was trying to say but geez, I've gone back and tried to explain it a couple more times and you still keep adding unintented meanings to my posts. It really just boils down to this...
IN GENERAL, there are two types of people in these situations. The type that look at their terrible situation and say, "at least we have our health" then get started on the work. Then there are the type that sit in their filth wondering when the government is going to come bail them out. Oklahoma has a whole lot more of the first type and I'm proud to live here among them.

olevetonahill
5/29/2013, 11:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYY2FQHFwE

yermom
5/29/2013, 11:24 AM
I've got a tip for you Ron, don't ever take the written word for more than the author says it means. You have taken what I intended and completely screwed it around. I will certainly admit that I probably didn't do the best job in writing what I was trying to say but geez, I've gone back and tried to explain it a couple more times and you still keep adding unintented meanings to my posts. It really just boils down to this...
IN GENERAL, there are two types of people in these situations. The type that look at their terrible situation and say, "at least we have our health" then get started on the work. Then there are the type that sit in their filth wondering when the government is going to come bail them out. Oklahoma has a whole lot more of the first type and I'm proud to live here among them.

there is also the fact that in Moore, you could walk across the street and stay with a neighbor. you could get in a car and drive to stay with family. even poor people have cars here.

no water, no power for much longer and no way to get out of the area and a lot higher population density combined with a much larger scale makes it a LOT different

MsProudSooner
5/29/2013, 11:28 AM
Here's an interesting perspective of the tornado damage from a CNN writer who grew up near OKC:

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/05/us/sutter-walk-oklahoma/

Scott D
5/29/2013, 06:21 PM
so did we ever figure out if this thread was meant to antagonize or to commend?

olevetonahill
5/29/2013, 06:24 PM
so did we ever figure out if this thread was meant to antagonize or to commend?

Heh, I think we were all just tryin to Pizz off the Pope.

Scott D
5/29/2013, 06:25 PM
I'm just curious, since I have family that was affected by both incidents. And none of them have been begging or searching for handouts.

C&CDean
5/29/2013, 08:36 PM

Sounds to me like you're just another angry yankee. Congrats. Meh.

C&CDean
5/29/2013, 08:39 PM
For the record, my only beef is with the rubberneckers who still keep slowing down through Moore even after the "please don't slow down through the disaster zone" signs. ****ing morons...

sooneron
5/30/2013, 09:29 AM
Sounds to me like you're just another angry yankee. Congrats. Meh.

Angry? No, but I'll call bull**** when I see it. Especially when I saw the aftermath/effort first hand.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/30/2013, 12:39 PM
I am quite surprised that The Socialist and The RINO are touring the same areas again. Why can't people get their properties salvaged and worked on, rather than be stripped by thieves, etc? My family went through a tornado in ATL in 1998. The neighborhood was back in business within a 6 months to a year. Galveston was well onto the road to recovery six months after Ike...Either there is insurance fraud going on, the states/politicians up there are impotent and can't manage their way out of a wet sack or the people are lazy expecting government to do it all. People with drive will be getting on with things...

badger
5/30/2013, 03:55 PM
Tornado warning between Tulsa and Stillwater.

Be safe everyone. Pokes included