PDA

View Full Version : Paterno's record tied with Amos Alonzo Stagg

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/23/2013, 05:26 PM
What do you think of that? Should it be negated? should it stand? Seems to me and i bet probably most people that JoePa's unwillingness to retire, (and/or address the scandal) was all based upon his, and maybe Penn State's, desire to have that record. Poor Joe, he just wanted/needed one more victory to eclipse the Stagg record.

Did the NCAA or some institution negate some of his wins? Maybe they did. I'll let someone tell us rather than look it up.

Jacie
5/24/2013, 06:20 PM
Yes.

What I wonder is, if the NCAA saw fit to negate all wins he accrued from 1998 to 2011, should they have also negated the seasons he coached from that time as well? His 62-years on the Penn State coaching staff is itself an NCAA record. Take away those 14 and he would only have 48 seasons.

Also, did they negate the losses as well or is he stuck with those?

5/25/2013, 12:37 AM
Yes.

What I wonder is, if the NCAA saw fit to negate all wins he accrued from 1998 to 2011, should they have also negated the seasons he coached from that time as well? His 62-years on the Penn State coaching staff is itself an NCAA record. Take away those 14 and he would only have 48 seasons.

Also, did they negate the losses as well or is he stuck with those?What do you think about his record? I think it's impressive, even though it's associated with controversy. Let it stand with an asterisk.

yermom
5/25/2013, 06:17 AM
I really have mixed feelings on this

Isn't Penn State tarnished enough without vacating wins?

Isn't it a little weird to impose a football penalty for criminal acts?

sooneron
5/25/2013, 10:54 AM
yes and yes

5/25/2013, 01:07 PM
I really have mixed feelings on this

Isn't Penn State tarnished enough without vacating wins?

Isn't it a little weird to impose a football penalty for criminal acts?Agreement!

Jacie
5/25/2013, 01:55 PM
Have never been a fan of seeing the record book changed under most circumstances, though I would like to see Bobby Bond's homeruns taken away.

The Penn State dealio is worse than most since it did not involve violations relating to any player, unlike say a Reggie Bush kind of thing. Having a child molestor on the staff and later knowing there had been one did not give the Nittany Lions any advantage over their opponents, so taking away the wins feels more like sour grapes than letting the punishment fit the crime.

However, as of now that is how the historical account reads and unless things change, that is how it's gonna be.

5/25/2013, 01:58 PM
Have never been a fan of seeing the record book changed under most circumstances, though I would like to see Bobby Bond's homeruns taken away.

The Penn State dealio is worse than most since it did not involve violations relating to any player, unlike say a Reggie Bush kind of thing. Having a child molestor on the staff and later knowing there had been one did not give the Nittany Lions any advantage over their opponents, so taking away the wins feels more like sour grapes than letting the punishment fit the crime.

However, as of now that is how the historical account reads and unless things change, that is how it's gonna be.Sour grapes is right, IMHO. Tarnishment and destruction.

yermom
5/25/2013, 04:12 PM
the other side is, if they didn't continue to sweep it under the rug, it could have been harder to recruit, and he might not have won as many games

was that motivation for hiding it?

5/25/2013, 06:24 PM
the other side is, if they didn't continue to sweep it under the rug, it could have been harder to recruit, and he might not have won as many games

was that motivation for hiding it?If JoePa would have dealt with it early and properly, he prolly could have gotten past it, kept his jorb, and continued to recruit and win games. Still, dealing with it would have been a risk for him, one he obviously decided not to address.