PDA

View Full Version : Yall say what ya want about the Weathermen,

olevetonahill
5/22/2013, 10:59 AM
But they must be doing something right, Only 24 dead confirmed so far? Thats a Miracle in its self with as much destruction that happened :pirate:

Taxman71
5/22/2013, 11:03 AM
True. That is at least 100 less than those that died in Joplin recently.

olevetonahill
5/22/2013, 11:09 AM
True. That is at least 100 less than those that died in Joplin recently.

Think there was like 160 er so there wernt there?

KantoSooner
5/22/2013, 11:44 AM
We have some of the world's best here in Okieland. You go to the coasts or, god help you, another country, and it's like a return to the 1960's. Doppler radar is like some unproven voodoo used only by the military in most places, and the weather people are more busy entertaining that explaining the weather.

But, to be fair, most other places, the sky doesn't come try to kill you several times each year. So there is that.

olevetonahill
5/22/2013, 11:49 AM
1890 posted this at the Hideout

Joplin vs Moore tornados, the Joplin tornado was 3/4 mile wide and was on the ground for 6 miles, 150 people died. The Moore tornado was a mile wide and was on the ground for 17 miles, 24 people died. Better warning? more shelters? I wonder what made the difference? I hope someone really looks into it and comes up with a reason so people are better informed in the future.

pphilfran
5/22/2013, 11:56 AM
Joplin hit at 5 pm on a Sunday...lots of people at home...

rock on sooner
5/22/2013, 12:39 PM

Joplin vs Moore tornados, the Joplin tornado was 3/4 mile wide and was on the ground for 6 miles, 150 people died. The Moore tornado was a mile wide and was on the ground for 17 miles, 24 people died. Better warning? more shelters? I wonder what made the difference? I hope someone really looks into it and comes up with a reason so people are better informed in the future.

I read where Moore had a 16 minute heads up before it hit. Several parents
got their kids outa school and those that didn't have storm cellars took off
to go where there was one.

olevetonahill
5/22/2013, 12:41 PM

Wouldnt that be under the heading of "Better warning"? Personally I think it was a combination of Great warning Better preparedness. and Just plane ole Luck.

MsProudSooner
5/22/2013, 12:47 PM

I think it was a combination of better warning, more shelters and the public just being more aware.

badger
5/22/2013, 12:49 PM
After all the non-tornadoness of this year thus far, I think people were just ready, just anticipating that big storm, even if it didn't come as it usually does in April.

I dunno if you all felt the same way, but when I saw the tornado watches, the anticipated severe weather for the state, I made sure our battery powered fans and flashlights were accounted for and that we knew exactly what we were going to do, where we were going to go with baby baj (and if possible, the pets too)

Boomer.....
5/22/2013, 01:41 PM
But they must be doing something right, Only 24 dead confirmed so far? Thats a Miracle in its self with as much destruction that happened :pirate:

Amen!

From what I remember, the Joplin tornado happened after a string of tornado warnings that didn't pan out. It was sort of a "boy who cried wolf" scenario where the people didn't fully accept the severity of the situation and went about their daily activities.

rock on sooner
5/22/2013, 02:07 PM
Wouldnt that be under the heading of "Better warning"? Personally I think it was a combination of Great warning Better preparedness. and Just plane ole Luck.

Prolly right...Ima guessing that some folks aint gonna want to rebuild
in that area...1999, 2003 and now 2013...I can say with certainty that
I would be one of those who moved somewhere else....

cleller
5/22/2013, 05:23 PM
Sometimes they may get a little worked up, but its hard not to in the face of those monster tornadoes. I'm sure the finest weather crews in the world are in OKC. Nothing like it anywhere else, for good reason.

Soonerjeepman
5/22/2013, 05:28 PM

believe it or not...our school will not release students to parents during a WARNING. Which I find unbelievable, but that is what I was told last yr when we were in a warning for an hour..

SanJoaquinSooner
5/22/2013, 06:30 PM
Sometimes they may get a little worked up, but its hard not to in the face of those monster tornadoes. I'm sure the finest weather crews in the world are in OKC. Nothing like it anywhere else, for good reason.

And I would add the OU's School of Meteorology is one of the finest in the nation.

Midtowner
5/22/2013, 06:32 PM
One of?

rock on sooner
5/22/2013, 07:07 PM
believe it or not...our school will not release students to parents during a WARNING. Which I find unbelievable, but that is what I was told last yr when we were in a warning for an hour..

I can also say with certainty that short of a gun in my face (to
counteract the one in theirs) no way someone would stop me
from taking my child. (Had this argument once with a theatre
director, he lost!)

rock on sooner
5/22/2013, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=SanJoaquinSooner;3610139]And I would add the OU's School of Meteorology is one of the finest in the nation.[/QUOTE

World renowned is more like it!

8timechamps
5/22/2013, 08:19 PM
Joplin hit at 5 pm on a Sunday...lots of people at home...

I've been thinking how "fortunate" it was that this thing hit when it did. If it had been four hours later, when folks are home from work, I can only imagine the deaths that would have occurred.

While I know there is nothing fortunate about this, it is sort of amazing the death toll wasn't higher. When it comes to severe weather, the best place to be (if there is one) is Oklahoma. The weather folks there (from the on-air folks to the researchers) are the best.

yermom
5/22/2013, 10:09 PM
yeah, i don't think there was much warning in Joplin, or Tuscaloosa. they just aren't ready for it like we are.

EDIT:

man, it sounds like they screwed them up more than anything...

http://blogs.kansas.com/weather/2012/05/09/how-the-warning-system-failed-joplin-last-may/

sirens for severe thunderstorms? wow...

Soonerfan88
5/22/2013, 10:54 PM
Most of Missouri is the same way. I live in an odd shaped county where towns are many miles apart and, until recently, sirens throughout the entire county went off for a warning. My house has a good southern view so I would take the time to go look before heading for shelter but many don't even do that. Folks around here really pay no attention to sirens because the last several tornadoes have gone north or south of town so no one expects to be hit. The county sheriff now only alerts the towns in the predicted path but that decision still took over a year after Joplin to be finally approved.