PDA

View Full Version : News coverage during the tornado

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2013, 05:38 AM
Watching the streaming live internet coverage from Germany yesterday, I'll say one thing...KFOR should fire Emily Sutton! Every time they cut to her on the road, she was in full-blown panic mode and screaming at Mike Moron. A truly pathetic thing to watch when there were folks already worried about their loved ones and their property. In a disaster like what we just saw, you are expected to at least keep some sense of composure (see KWTV and KOCO for notes on that).

And while they're at it, why oh why did KFOR talk to that asshat Reed Timmer? Were there really no other spotters available?

olevetonahill
5/21/2013, 06:38 AM
Watching the streaming live internet coverage from Germany yesterday, I'll say one thing...KFOR should fire Emily Sutton! Every time they cut to her on the road, she was in full-blown panic mode and screaming at Mike Moron. A truly pathetic thing to watch when there were folks already worried about their loved ones and their property. In a disaster like what we just saw, you are expected to at least keep some sense of composure (see KWTV and KOCO for notes on that).

And while they're at it, why oh why did KFOR talk to that asshat Reed Timmer? Were there really no other spotters available?

No clue who that is.

Lott's Bandana
5/21/2013, 08:53 AM
I used to watch KFOR for my tornado coverage. Now, with Emily (who is actually pretty good in the studio) and Reed the apoplectic screamer, I have gone back to Gary.

I'll hand it to Gary...he really knows how to remain calm and handle his spotters. "Val, we have your feed, please stop telling us what we are already watching." Loved that.

cleller
5/21/2013, 09:10 AM
I used to watch KFOR for my tornado coverage. Now, with Emily (who is actually pretty good in the studio) and Reed the apoplectic screamer, I have gone back to Gary.

I'll hand it to Gary...he really knows how to remain calm and handle his spotters. "Val, we have your feed, please stop telling us what we are already watching." Loved that.

I go between the two, both do a good job, just depends on who is in the right place. Channel 9 really nailed the Shawnee and Moore coverage, though.

Really like Emily Sutton in the studio, but admit she's not the best on the road. Been making fun of the Reed Timmer guy, but he did get his Robocop Domininator right in the middle of one the other day.

Midtowner
5/21/2013, 09:15 AM
Watching Sutton, she seemed panicked and there seemed to be more footage from the van driving to different locations than anything useful. KFOR's helicopter coverage was the best hands down. 9 and 5 were second and third tier.

I was actually reminded today that KOKH had coverage... forgot they were still trying to do the news thing.

Lott's Bandana
5/21/2013, 09:19 AM
Another observation this morning:

CNN is obsessed with the body count, asking the State ME three times about more bodies as well as the Governor.

The local news is focusing more on the survivors. Since I'm 3 miles away, I prefer the local coverage. Otherwise I get a bit paralyzed with grief for my neighbors.

sooneron
5/21/2013, 09:51 AM
I was in town and watching the tv on Sunday. I had to turn it to Channel 5 because the CH. 9 spotter guys were freaking my yankee wife out. Too much freaking out.

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2013, 10:30 AM
Emily is nothing more than a pretty face on television...I've seen college newscasters that have a better broadcast presence and knowledge than her.

C&CDean
5/21/2013, 11:58 AM
They all suck. WTF are y'all even comparing them for? Emily Slutton is just as bad/good as any of them.

badger
5/21/2013, 12:18 PM
I was really annoyed with CNN this morning. Their anchor was basically saying over and over that more people are going to die. Oh, so you say that you got your family to safety in time? More people are going to die. You say that your relief efforts are underway as you search for survivors too? MORE PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DIE.

**** cnn.

sooneron
5/21/2013, 01:00 PM
CNN is horrible.

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2013, 01:47 PM
Robin Meade is nothing but a moron...a hawt moron!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/21/2013, 02:49 PM
**** cnn.D'Oh!

It's their MO, dawrlin'.

8timechamps
5/21/2013, 03:28 PM

I respect that guys profession, and his business acumen (he has made a career out of it), but what I thoroughly dislike and disrespect is that he's a tornado chaser and never seems to report his findings. It appears that he's all about the footage for his site, and doesn't even think about calling in the danger elements so that warnings can be posted.

Blue
5/21/2013, 08:40 PM
news in general has become way too emotional and opiononated. Just give us the facts. We know you want to seem empathetic but we just need the news and the facts.

reflector
5/21/2013, 09:25 PM
This is my favorite news coverage so far. I keep watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXm0V6a4LMk

BudSooner
5/21/2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks for sharing that...that was pretty cool, kinda got to me at the end.

SoonerStormchaser
5/22/2013, 01:57 AM
I thoroughly dislike and disrespect is that he's a tornado chaser and never seems to report his findings. It appears that he's all about the footage for his site, and doesn't even think about calling in the danger elements so that warnings can be posted.

And the fact of the matter is he does it in some of the most unsafe ways possible (high speeds, close proximity, sheer recklessness) and glorifies it. He's either going to get himself killed one day, or get some moron killed who thinks he can imitate him.
The sad thing is that he's been doing this for over a decade.

rock on sooner
5/22/2013, 06:20 AM
Thanks for sharing that...that was pretty cool, kinda got to me at the end.

Dint just "kinda" get me! So happy for the pup and her!

olevetonahill
5/22/2013, 06:55 AM
Dint just "kinda" get me! So happy for the pup and her!

http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/yes.gif

soonerboomer93
5/22/2013, 12:14 PM
I respect that guys profession, and his business acumen (he has made a career out of it), but what I thoroughly dislike and disrespect is that he's a tornado chaser and never seems to report his findings. It appears that he's all about the footage for his site, and doesn't even think about calling in the danger elements so that warnings can be posted.

One of the last times I watched that show, it showed his team calling in a tornado. They went into the town that was hit and helped look for survivors also.

Boomer.....
5/22/2013, 01:44 PM

MIKE! MIKE! MIKE! MIKE! That got real annoying, quick!

BTW, Reed now works for Channel 4 with his convoy of dominators (4 of them now). He gets way too worked up, but is a good chaser.

SoonerStormchaser
5/22/2013, 02:20 PM
One of the last times I watched that show, it showed his team calling in a tornado. They went into the town that was hit and helped look for survivors also.

I can just about guarantee that was solely cause there were cameras present. I was on chases near him a decade ago where we stopped and helped, and he just kept on going, trying to get that footage to make more money.

soonerboomer93
5/22/2013, 02:35 PM
I"m sure he's going to chase as much as he can, but I'd be pretty suprised if they didn't call in what they spotted.

Petro-Sooner
5/22/2013, 05:12 PM
Reed is nothing more than a grade A++ ****** and nothing more

8timechamps
5/22/2013, 08:25 PM
I"m sure he's going to chase as much as he can, but I'd be pretty suprised if they didn't call in what they spotted.

I saw that too, which is what surprised me when I started watching the web show (Tornado Chasers). After Storm Chasers stopped airing, his company (TVN) started a series, and it's very apparent it's all about the "chase". Not once, in three seasons, did they ever show anyone calling in a tornado. Maybe they did, and just didn't film it, but given how egotistical he appears to be, I'd think if he did something like that, they would make sure it was shown.

As for the episode that showed them stopping in the small town, that was the least he (or anyone could do). You'd have to be one dead-hearted mf'er to come upon something like that and keep driving.