PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and Prayers

LosAngelesSooner
5/20/2013, 04:25 PM
Hey everyone. Long time.

I just wanted to check in and say you're all in my prayers. Hope you and your families are all safe.

Please stay underground until this all passes.

Mac94
5/20/2013, 04:45 PM
Amen

soonerhubs
5/20/2013, 05:07 PM
Prayers for everyone. This is just devastating.

Osce0la
5/20/2013, 05:51 PM
stay safe everyone...praying for everyone in the path of these storms

C&CDean
5/20/2013, 06:13 PM
It's bad in Moore. Really bad. Crap.

C&CDean
5/20/2013, 06:14 PM
Now you can't use water in OKC. Water treatment plant all tore up. Also, if you're one of the dickheads driving around taking pictures and getting in everybody's way, go the **** home.

olevetonahill
5/20/2013, 06:30 PM
Now you can't use water in OKC. Water treatment plant all tore up. Also, if you're one of the dickheads driving around taking pictures and getting in everybody's way, go the **** home.

Ditto. get out the way of those tryin to Hep.

C&CDean
5/20/2013, 06:36 PM
Guess they just dug through the rubble at one of the schools. A dozen 1-3 graders dead? Maybe more? Holy ****.

olevetonahill
5/20/2013, 06:47 PM
Guess they just dug through the rubble at one of the schools. A dozen 1-3 graders dead? Maybe more? Holy ****.

I was Hoping like hell I had Misheard that.It was over 2 dozen what I heard.

Soonerfan88
5/20/2013, 06:49 PM
Seeing reports of at least 24 dead in the rubble of one elementary. Damn...

8timechamps
5/20/2013, 07:02 PM
I heard that there was a 16 minute warning (the sirens sounded). I lived in OKC for over 20 years, and the problem with warnings is that people get used to them and don't take them seriously. Also, I'm not sure it would matter much with this one, if it hit your house, it was taking it down the road.

There is nothing in nature as scary as a tornado. After all of these years of research, the best we can do is predict when it might happen.

VA Sooner
5/20/2013, 07:08 PM
Seeing reports of at least 24 dead in the rubble of one elementary. Damn...

Damn. I remember all those tornado drills that we did in elementary school in OKC... wouldn't have made a difference with this F4. Damn...

8timechamps
5/20/2013, 07:48 PM
Damn. I remember all those tornado drills that we did in elementary school in OKC... wouldn't have made a difference with this F4. Damn...

I told my son the same thing. I remember piling into the halls and crouching. I don't think it would have made any difference in this case.

Blue
5/20/2013, 07:54 PM
Why dont these schools have shelters and basements?

Moores got leveled 3 times in 15 years. I cant believe there is not better protocol and shelter in place.

Prayers for all affected.

Flagstaffsooner
5/20/2013, 07:58 PM
This is so sad.

soonerboomer93
5/20/2013, 08:29 PM
Very sad to hear. Thoughts and prayers for the affected.

BudSooner
5/20/2013, 08:40 PM
I told my son the same thing. I remember piling into the halls and crouching. I don't think it would have made any difference in this case.I remember alot of little kids giggling when someone farted while crouching down doing that. Not to make light of a bad situation, just....don't know what else to do but make others not as sad during this.

olevetonahill
5/20/2013, 09:27 PM
I remember alot of little kids giggling when someone farted while crouching down doing that. Not to make light of a bad situation, just....don't know what else to do but make others not as sad during this.

Kinda Like Duck and Cover
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TuwCKxKdATA/TfleDMw5asI/AAAAAAAABHQ/zyowo6qD6tg/s1600/Duck+and+Cover+3-1.jpg

rock on sooner
5/20/2013, 09:28 PM
I was Hoping like hell I had Misheard that.It was over 2 dozen what I heard.

Just heard on CNN that 24 are UNACCOUNTED FOR...pray to the Man..

olevetonahill
5/20/2013, 09:40 PM
Just heard on CNN that 24 are UNACCOUNTED FOR...pray to the Man..

Over 50 dead so far

sooneron
5/20/2013, 10:20 PM
This is brutal. We were in Norman for a wedding this weekend. Drove through the sleepy town of Moore this AM just before daybreak. Heartbreaking for these families. I have kids 6 & 3. This is brutal to watch.

yermom
5/20/2013, 10:53 PM
I heard that there was a 16 minute warning (the sirens sounded). I lived in OKC for over 20 years, and the problem with warnings is that people get used to them and don't take them seriously. Also, I'm not sure it would matter much with this one, if it hit your house, it was taking it down the road.

There is nothing in nature as scary as a tornado. After all of these years of research, the best we can do is predict when it might happen.

really though, what were they going to do differently? with the strength of this thing, it was going to take down the school. it's not like they could have bussed them somewhere in that time. it's all about the structure at that point.

technology is getting better and better on these though. i think some of the "crying wolf" is about the warnings being by county. they draw polygons and if it covers a county at all, the sirens go off...

they can usually tell pretty well if it's going to happen, just not exactly where. i doubt that can get that much better though, not on a neighborhood scale anyway

Eielson
5/20/2013, 11:34 PM
It's a tough situation, but I'm really proud to see people stepping up. I was trying to get from south OKC to Norman after the tornado, but gave up and headed to Tulsa after only finding myself further away from Norman after 3 hours of driving. In the meantime, I saw an unreal amount of vehicles heading in to help. I doubt there were more than a couple police cars left in Norman. After I turned around and headed to Tulsa, I saw about another 50 police vehicles heading in. They're also having to turn away TONS of volunteers trying to help out in Moore because there are just too many.

yermom
5/20/2013, 11:53 PM
i must have hit the sweet spot. it only took me like an hour to get from I-40 and Sunnylane to my house in NE Norman, and that was after getting trapped once in those little roads around Draper. once i got east of Draper it wasn't too bad.

Sunnylane and Sooner were parking lots once you got to 59th or so

SoonerStormchaser
5/21/2013, 12:23 AM

That would clean up all the stormchasers off the road.

sappstuf
5/21/2013, 02:27 AM
Some incredible pictures of the aftermath at this link. I will post a couple of examples. My heart goes out...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2328000/US-tornadoes-Yet-heartbreak-Oklahoma-massive-tornado-touches-highly-populated-suburb.html

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d102/sappstuf/tornado_zps86fa249c.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d102/sappstuf/tornados_zpsbddff401.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d102/sappstuf/tornadoss_zps9e8c4ec0.jpg

Soonerjeepman
5/21/2013, 08:26 AM
prayers to everyone....

ironic we practiced at school yesterday...part of our school is underground...God help those.

Soonerjeepman
5/21/2013, 08:30 AM
Why dont these schools have shelters and basements?

Moores got leveled 3 times in 15 years. I cant believe there is not better protocol and shelter in place.

Prayers for all affected.

$$ hate to say it. Our school is partly dug into a hill, so "underground" course the gym, library, offices, etc are all on top..not sure how it's built (1972) if it could support that. Not good. Things haven't changed much...still duck and tuck.

salth2o
5/21/2013, 08:31 AM
Sickened by this horrific news.

Midtowner
5/21/2013, 08:42 AM
Revised lower to 24.

I'm not sure how that happens, but that's a good thing.

oudanny
5/21/2013, 09:11 AM
Tragic. Prayers for all impacted. Oklahomans will step up to help.

8timechamps
5/21/2013, 02:11 PM
really though, what were they going to do differently? with the strength of this thing, it was going to take down the school. it's not like they could have bussed them somewhere in that time. it's all about the structure at that point.

That's why I added this to the end of my post:

Also, I'm not sure it would matter much with this one, if it hit your house, it was taking it down the road.

technology is getting better and better on these though. i think some of the "crying wolf" is about the warnings being by county. they draw polygons and if it covers a county at all, the sirens go off...

they can usually tell pretty well if it's going to happen, just not exactly where. i doubt that can get that much better though, not on a neighborhood scale anyway

I have no idea about the science involved with this stuff. The only things I know, I learned from living there and/or saw on TV. I guess that's what makes Tornadoes so frightening, there is no accurate way to predict them and once they drop, you're at the mercy of the storm.

badger
5/21/2013, 02:23 PM
Revised lower to 24.

I'm not sure how that happens, but that's a good thing.

It was late, it was dark, and they reportedly double-counted some victims in the mad rush to find survivors.

Everyone...

Donate blood to OBI. Donate items to Salvation Army, and donate money to pretty much every reputable charity out there, since they all seem to have a hand in this. Need a place to start? Here's the Red Cross' donation page. (http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations)

PS: While my posts have a history of being full of words here, I am actually taking action as well --- $44 to Red Cross in honor of OU's 44 conference championships... I should have been cheeky and made it $43.50 after last year's "championship," but that win over Nebrasky in the final Big 12 game more than makes up for last season :)

LosAngelesSooner
5/22/2013, 11:15 AM
Really glad that the death toll went down yesterday morning. I'm hoping it stays there.

y'all have been really making me proud with the way you've handled this. Shoot, even the on camera post-twister interviews have been intelligent and, at times, eloquent. ;)

But seriously...stay safe, everyone. The season is far from over.