PDA

View Full Version : Question for old farts

badger
5/20/2013, 12:26 PM
What do you think when you hear young people say that they expect to be taken seriously or that you should be treating them with more respect?

I ask because Justin Bieber decided that his millions of dollars and skipping the pimple phase of puberty was not enough:

"I'm 19 years old. I think I'm doing a pretty good job...Basically from my heart I really just want to say it really should be about the music. It should be about the craft that I'm making. This is not a gimmick, and I'm an artist, and I should be taken seriously."

For the video version, start at about 2:10:
cAuHwxd1VBk

badger
5/20/2013, 12:28 PM
PS: I think I have SF.com stalkers --- whenever I post on a thread or start a new thread the number viewing that particular section suddenly jumps. To test this theory... off to talk hockey! And nobody watches hockey so it's the perfect test...

cleller
5/20/2013, 12:30 PM
If they want to be taken seriously they should act like it. You don't get respect by asking for it. Your actions either earn you respect or they don't.

Pretty hard to take someone serious who acts (and dresses) like a clown all the time.

badger
5/20/2013, 12:44 PM
Perhaps some people think that the only way you can get what you want is to ask for it. Want an iPad for Christmas? Ask for it. Want respect? Ask for it.

I tend to think that a lot of older people do not dole out respect as quickly as some of their younger counterparts. Is that wisdom with age, or just being an insuffererably old know it all? ;)

C&CDean
5/20/2013, 12:50 PM
When you get old Badger, you'll see. It's always funny to see young folks who have all the answers to all of life's problems. Or the ones who think they're immortal or bulletproof. Or the ones who get the adoration of their peers - but can't understand why mature (to them, old) folks just don't really take them seriously.

It's about credibility. Credibility cannot be asked for. It must be earned. You can't earn it overnight. Another thing a lot of young folks don't get when they're riding high is that the wave can; and most likely will, CRASH. They rarely prepare for this. Pro athletes and musicians are the worst. Millionaire today, crack junkie living under a bridge the next. Such is life...

badger
5/20/2013, 12:56 PM
It's always funny to see OLD folks who have all the answers to all of life's problems. Or the ones who think they're immortal or bulletproof. Or the ones who get the adoration of their peers - but can't understand why YOUNG folks just don't really take them seriously.

See, your statement can be reversed and still be true. It's like the Grandpa Simpson syndrome or something :)

Now that I'm in my 30s I can kind of see both the teenage perspective and the old fart perspective to some degree. On one hand I see young idiots not listening to common sense that's been successfully applied for years (not taking on massive debt for many things) while shaking my hand at old stubbornness. (refusing to get a cell phone, even though a family plan would allow it to be added for free with no added charges whatsoever so that they can be reached in emergencies).

rock on sooner
5/20/2013, 12:56 PM
A lot of the older folks, myself included, tend to wait for a body of work
to be established. Asking for respect or demanding respect usually gets
one very little. Being quiet, making an impact in one's chosen field, going
about one's life in a manner that exhibits confidence, knowledge and RESPECT
OF OTHERS will garner the desired respect. And, naw, being an insufferable old
know it all only works in the world of Bovine Scatology sessions involving copious
amounts of cereal malt beverages....:biggrin:

Soonerjeepman
5/20/2013, 01:45 PM
earn..

Hey ROS, when did you teach at Washington? My buddy was there in 72/73.

rock on sooner
5/20/2013, 01:57 PM
earn..

Hey ROS, when did you teach at Washington? My buddy was there in 72/73.

Left end of the school year 71-72...

C&CDean
5/20/2013, 02:08 PM
See, your statement can be reversed and still be true. It's like the Grandpa Simpson syndrome or something :)

Now that I'm in my 30s I can kind of see both the teenage perspective and the old fart perspective to some degree. On one hand I see young idiots not listening to common sense that's been successfully applied for years (not taking on massive debt for many things) while shaking my hand at old stubbornness. (refusing to get a cell phone, even though a family plan would allow it to be added for free with no added charges whatsoever so that they can be reached in emergencies).

Well, honestly, old folks do have the answers to most of life's problems. They've lived them. As far as stubborness? It is what it is. You don't have to be old to be stubborn. I refused to go on direct deposit way back in the early 80's. I wasn't old, I was stubborn. I wanted to touch/see my paycheck. Eventually I was forced to take direct deposit...and I can't believe how naive and ignorant I was. It rocked. I learned...

olevetonahill
5/20/2013, 05:47 PM
I respect and Take seriously all people of all ages , Until they show me they deserve neither. Kinda like Matlock and that dweeb beber or whatever his name is.

diverdog
5/21/2013, 12:30 AM
I remember Richard Pryor saying you don't get to be old being a fool and that there are a lot of young wisemen who are deader than a motherf**ker.

There is a lot of truth in that statement.

KantoSooner
5/21/2013, 09:05 AM
Probably related to the relative amount of time/experience one group has vs the other. What may seem like a 'career' to Bieber looks a lot like a summertime flirtation with radio time to older people. And, from the few comments I have heard him make, his knowledge of his craft is pretty shallow.
Have him get back to us old people in another 40 years or so and we'll see how he rates among the respect-worthy in his chosen field. So far, Beebs shouldn't be mentioned in the same category with, say, a Mick Jagger. Up to now, more like a David Cassady, or George Michael or maybe Boy George level performer.

oudanny
5/21/2013, 09:16 AM
You have to earn my respect and you don't get it by screaming that you deserve it or by pointing a gun at me.

Lott's Bandana
5/21/2013, 09:21 AM
If they're young and wearing a uniform (that isn't bright orange), they have my respect.

sooneron
5/21/2013, 09:41 AM
You can get my benefit of doubt, then my respect. Bieber has lost one and will never get the other.

texaspokieokie
5/21/2013, 09:54 AM
I resisted "direct deposit" & still don't like it.
I don't have a cel phone. My wife has one But i (almost) never use it.
Oh, i do have one in my pick up & have used it 10 or 12 timwe. (in 6 yrs). i think the time has expired.

You will all get along without my respect.

Note: i'm probably yhe oldest poster on this board.

sooner_born_1960
5/21/2013, 10:02 AM
I have more respect for the marketing team of Justin than for anything he's actually done.

C&CDean
5/21/2013, 10:09 AM
I respect his hair. Damn I wish I could grow hair that ****ing ugly.

OU68
5/21/2013, 11:06 AM
Have a cell phone, but hate texting :ambivalence:

KantoSooner
5/21/2013, 12:47 PM
Wasn't he hit with a paternity suit in which he supposedly impregnated a woman close to ten years his senior while walking from his dressing room to his bus? If he could do that without breaking stride, I'd give him some serious speck.

oudanny
5/21/2013, 01:30 PM
Kevin Durant just earned my respect. 1 million dollar donation - 'nuff said.

deweydw
5/22/2013, 11:51 AM
PS: I think I have SF.com stalkers --- whenever I post on a thread or start a new thread the number viewing that particular section suddenly jumps. To test this theory... off to talk hockey! And nobody watches hockey so it's the perfect test...

I think they are waiting for you to mess up a thread and request deletion. :wink: