PDA

View Full Version : Hoping Everyone is Safe....

Sabanball
5/19/2013, 10:16 PM
Saw where a wave of tornadoes went across your state today. Praying for everyone to be safe.....

Petro-Sooner
5/19/2013, 10:57 PM
Saw where a wave of tornadoes went across your state today. Praying for everyone to be safe.....

Some places took a pretty good hit. Expecting a similar threat tomorrow. Man I hope it doesn't happen.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/19/2013, 11:08 PM
Poster over at Landtheives, Soonerprices, lost his home. He's a teacher and basketball coach at Luther.

cleller
5/20/2013, 08:15 AM
Live north of Prague. As the storm was approaching we could see leaves falling out of the sky. Crazy thing to see, evidently from the damage in Shawnee. I later heard that people in Tulsa were finding mail from Shawnee in their yards.

Went out to look this morning for just a little bit, and found pieces of wallpaper, and a chunk of what might be wall material from a trailer. I doubt there is anywhere on earth that can top the storms we see around here.

olevetonahill
5/20/2013, 08:16 AM
Live north of Prague. As the storm was approaching we could see leaves falling out of the sky. Crazy thing to see, evidently from the damage in Shawnee. I later heard that people in Tulsa were finding mail from Shawnee in their yards.

Went out to look this morning for just a little bit, and found pieces of wallpaper, and a chunk of what might be wall material from a trailer. I doubt there is anywhere on earth that can top the storms we see around here.

Glad to hear you made it thru that crap intact

C&CDean
5/20/2013, 08:58 AM
Didn't get anything at the Deanarosa. It was weird though. The clouds straight overhead were all wiggly and strange. I was mowing and looked up and there were little tiny lightning bolts jumping from cloud to cloud. Never seen anything like it. I thought I was in The Prisoner of Azkaban and started looking for Dementors.

badger
5/20/2013, 09:17 AM
It's moments like these when you see mega storms crossing our fair state when you wonder if your next home improvement project should be to install a storm shelter.

Does anyone here have one and if so have often do you use it/worth the cost/how much area do you need to install/etcetcetc

Until then, our storm plan is as follows--- rush baby baj to the main bathroom (no windows, interior room) with blankets and pillows. Dogs and cat too if there's time. Hold her close under a blanket and pray a lot

cleller
5/20/2013, 09:20 AM
How about this, if you had to choose would you go for the shelter, or a automatic backup generator?

My inlaws have the generator, which the electric company can actually turn on during peak demands. Runs off natural gas. (can do propane also) Never have to worry about power failure.

C&CDean
5/20/2013, 09:22 AM
It's moments like these when you see mega storms crossing our fair state when you wonder if your next home improvement project should be to install a storm shelter.

Does anyone here have one and if so have often do you use it/worth the cost/how much area do you need to install/etcetcetc

Until then, our storm plan is as follows--- rush baby baj to the main bathroom (no windows, interior room) with blankets and pillows. Dogs and cat too if there's time. Hold her close under a blanket and pray a lot

We kept motorcycle helmets in an interior closet. I read somewhere that a very high percentage of tornado related deaths are from flying debris, so I had each of the kids keep a helmet and a heavy jacket in that closet. If it got bad, get in there and put on the jacket and helmet and hunker down on the floor.

badger
5/20/2013, 09:39 AM
I know that's protocol for kids now - bike helmets during storms - but she's not even old enough to ride a bike yet, so not too sure what she'd think about a big clunky helmet on her head, especially during an overnight storm (why do they always have to happen at night?!)

C&CDean
5/20/2013, 10:00 AM
I don't think a bike helmet will do you much good. A full-face motorcycle helmet with faceshield is much better - although neither would do much good in a direct hit.

KantoSooner
5/20/2013, 10:19 AM
My folks built a bunker right into the plans for their house. An interior bathroom has 18"reinforced concrete walls and an inward opening steel door. Poured as a single piece along with the slab. So it serves as a storm shelter/panic room. Running water, a john, the gun closet and a wifi hotspot. I keep a bottle of bourbon there for lengthy stays. I go to their house if the weather looks bad.

C&CDean
5/20/2013, 10:23 AM
My folks built a bunker right into the plans for their house. An interior bathroom has 18"reinforced concrete walls and an inward opening steel door. Poured as a single piece along with the slab. So it serves as a storm shelter/panic room. Running water, a john, the gun closet and a wifi hotspot. I keep a bottle of bourbon there for lengthy stays. I go to their house if the weather looks bad.

Good idea. Especially the inward door thingy. One major reason I don't have a fraidy hole is because I'm claustrophobic as hell. If my house falls down on top of the door it would not be a good thing.

rock on sooner
5/20/2013, 03:59 PM
I know that's protocol for kids now - bike helmets during storms - but she's not even old enough to ride a bike yet, so not too sure what she'd think about a big clunky helmet on her head, especially during an overnight storm (why do they always have to happen at night?!)

Not a weatherman but am curious about it...here's the deal..the heat of
the day builds up and stores energy. When cool air meets warm humid
air, atmospheric pressure drops and forms swirling energy, hence the
funnel cloud...low atmospheric pressure allows the funnel to drop down
and touch down and, in many cases, stay on the ground for long distances.
The cooling happens after the sun goes down. When the tornado occurs
during the day it nearly always is the result of upper atmosphere cold
air colliding with the heat down lower....leastwise, I think that's what I
remember from some reading and then listening to a weather prof from
ISU talking on NPR.

I remember some really nasty ones from when I was a kid in OK, then
saw some VERY green cumulus mamatus clouds once in CO, too...

8timechamps
5/20/2013, 04:24 PM
Everyone PLEASE stay safe, looks like Oklahoma is going to continue to have severe weather for the next 24 hours.

Prayers going out to everyone. This was/is a bad one.

rock on sooner
5/20/2013, 04:27 PM
Everyone PLEASE stay safe, looks like Oklahoma is going to continue to have severe weather for the next 24 hours.

Prayers going out to everyone. This was/is a bad one.

^^^^^^^This^^^^^Keep your heads down!!!!

Sabanball
5/20/2013, 07:43 PM
Toomers for Tuscaloosa, a grassroots organization here in Alabama that was formed to spearhead relief efforts after 4-27-11 when we lost 246 people statewide, is up and running and has already set up two drop spots in the Birmingham area for folks here to contribute material/items to the victims in your state. We know this drill all too well. Expect to receive at least several truckloads, if not more, from your friends down here in Dixie. Our prayers are also with all of you as you gradually recover from this horrific tragedy.

olevetonahill
5/20/2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks Sabanball
Unless a person has went thru one they really aint got a clue . hell Ive been in 2 of em and I dont think I have a clue compared to what these last ones have been.

stoopified
5/21/2013, 02:39 PM
I thank God that my neighbor has a storm shelter and made sure that EVERYONE is welcome. We were going to ride out the storm in our tub with helmets,blankets, and a matress.Kelly Ogle said something like WE HAVE NOT SEEN A STORM LIKE THIS SINCE MAY 3,1999.My butthole puckered shut and we ran across the street to the shelter.There were about 15 adults and 5 kids (SRO) in there during the storm As we listened to the storm radio , twister was on a track for the shelter and then the track shifted east,sparing NE Moore. There was an audible sigh of relief. Now I understand survivor guilt.

Sabanball
5/21/2013, 06:42 PM
Only 59 EF-5 tornadoes have occurred in the last 63 yrs in this country. The states of Oklahoma and Alabama each have the most occurences and are now even with 7 each--another tie that binds us.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/f5torns.html

A proclamation from our Governor promising support and aid from our state to yours.....

http://governor.alabama.gov/news/news_detail.aspx?ID=7823

Boomer Sooner

jkjsooner
5/22/2013, 01:23 PM
Only 59 EF-5 tornadoes have occurred in the last 63 yrs in this country. The states of Oklahoma and Alabama each have the most occurences and are now even with 7 each--another tie that binds us.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/f5torns.html

A proclamation from our Governor promising support and aid from our state to yours.....

http://governor.alabama.gov/news/news_detail.aspx?ID=7823

Boomer Sooner

Interesting list. It shows that we're nearing the end of the season for really violent tornadoes. The risk shifts north after May.

I can't speak for Alabama but by the time summer arrives it is just too hot and dry to create those big storms.

jkjsooner
5/22/2013, 01:29 PM
Toomers for Tuscaloosa, a grassroots organization here in Alabama that was formed to spearhead relief efforts after 4-27-11 when we lost 246 people statewide, is up and running and has already set up two drop spots in the Birmingham area for folks here to contribute material/items to the victims in your state. We know this drill all too well. Expect to receive at least several truckloads, if not more, from your friends down here in Dixie. Our prayers are also with all of you as you gradually recover from this horrific tragedy.

I think one thing that separates the outbreaks in Alabama and 1999 Oklahoma as compared to Monday's is that we didn't have the outbreak of tons of tornadoes on Monday. (At least I didn't hear of them. I know we had a few.) If I remember correctly there were tons of tornadoes on that day in '99 and the same in Alabama.

One thing I will say is that the people who complain about our lack of basements and the like, when we have major tornadoes in Oklahoma the death tolls are always much lower than elsewhere. (I'd bet southern Kansas and northern Texas are the same way.) I have to think that it comes down to the great warnings and preparedness.

Boomer.....
5/22/2013, 01:38 PM
Very scary deal. My child's daycare and our house are about 4 miles apart. The tornado was 2 miles wide and split the two evenly. We have debris all over the place, but no damage.

hawaii 5-0
5/22/2013, 01:42 PM
Prayers to all of those affected by the Moore tornado.

Bless the 1st respondors.

5-0