PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News 2013 CFB Preview Out

Mac94
5/18/2013, 11:33 AM
I'm a preview mag junkie and saw that the first ones are out already ... picked up one; Sporting News, which is back after a one year hiatis. While often wrong, they are good summer reading and discussion.

Their top 10:

1) Bama
2) Stanford
3) S. Carolina
4) Florida
5) Ohio St
6) Oklahoma St (???????)
7) Texas A&M
8) Oregon
9) Clemson
10) Notre Dame

Others of note:

14) Texas
17) Baylor ?????????????????
19) Oklahoma
21) nebraska

Big-12 Predicted Order of finish (and bowl)

oSu (Fiesta)
Texas (Cotton)
OU (Alamo)
Baylor (Buffalo Wild Wings)
KSU (Holiday)
TCU (Meineke)
TTech (Pinstripe)
ISU
WV
KU

olevetonahill
5/18/2013, 11:38 AM
These Preseason Rags are stupid.
Its Kinda like watchin 2 birds on a wire and trying to predict which one will **** 1st.

badger
5/18/2013, 12:30 PM
How high did they have Arkansas last year :D

Lott's Bandana
5/18/2013, 12:41 PM
That list is exactly why there shouldn't be any pre-season rankings.

I know there always will be, as it's about selling mags.

Obviously, Sporting News is still primarily a baseball rag.

8timechamps
5/18/2013, 04:48 PM
It used to make me mad that Texas was ranked so high in every pre-season poll...now I laugh, and not just at Texas...there will be plenty of those predictions that look stupid by the end of the first month of the season.

King Crimson
5/18/2013, 05:57 PM
i think OU is about an 8-9 win team next year.

looks about right. no proven QB, mediocre on D....sounds about right.

mainline13
5/18/2013, 09:25 PM
How high did they have Arkansas last year :D

"... after a one-year hiatus ..."

Still, it was funny. But pay attention, huh?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/18/2013, 09:53 PM

looks about right. no proven QB, mediocre on D....sounds about right.I wouldn't be TOO pissed if we just won three: domer, the whorns and orange aggy.

Mazeppa
5/18/2013, 10:58 PM

looks about right. no proven QB, mediocre on D....sounds about right.

What do you think osu is about?

SoonerNomad
5/20/2013, 10:53 AM
I have no idea how we will look in the fall, but I don't believe Oklahoma State is better than the Sooners. Just don't. We have enough talent on offense to remain dynamic even with the new QB, and our defense cannot be as bad as last year. Can it? In my opinion, OU will be one of the teams in the running to win the conference, but if I were to pick a Big 12 winner three and a half months before I see any of them play, I would pick TCU, not Texas and not OSU.

badger
5/20/2013, 11:04 AM
"... after a one-year hiatus ..."

Still, it was funny. But pay attention, huh?

I looked it up because i was curious --- No. 6, one spot ahead of us:

6. Arkansas Razorbacks

Why they’re here: I realize we’re all infatuated with Matt Barkley—as well we should. But don’t be surprised if Tyler Wilson is the best quarterback in the game by the end of the season. Strong arm, terrific feel for the game and tough, tough player who stands tall and isn’t afraid to take a hit. Meanwhile, the Hogs get better every season on defense, and will have their best unit yet under Bobby Petrino in 2012.

Why it could change: The Hogs lose their first three receivers (there’s strong young talent behind them), and still play in the SEC West Division. Arkansas gets Alabama and LSU at home next fall, and hope to get the nation’s No. 1 WR recruit in Dorial Green-Beckham—think Julio Jones with three more inches and 20 more pounds—to strengthen the receiving corps.

Jacie
5/20/2013, 12:03 PM
Why the question marks after osu? These things are put together by some guys who only see the numbers and the numbers tell them aggie has one more starting QB returning than any other team in the conference . . .

badger
5/20/2013, 12:10 PM
Why the question marks after osu? These things are put together by some guys who only see the numbers and the numbers tell them aggie has one more starting QB returning than any other team in the conference . . .

I know, right? I mean, how many schools have three, let alone one starting quarterback returning from the previous season ALL IN THE SAME SEASON?!

Even though they have since dropped one, OKLAST is not by virtue of its returning starting quarterbackS of being twice as good as any school that has one returning starter!*

*Actually not disputing the fact that OSU is twice as good as Texas. Of course, that means twice as less as it used to.

Mac94
5/20/2013, 01:41 PM
Why the question marks after osu?

Simple ... because I don;t think they're a top ten team. I don;t think they are as good as Oregon and Clemson who are right behind them (I'll leave A&M out of it) ... I think Louisville who they ranked #11 will finish undefeated so end up higher ranked than oSu. Oklahoma St, IMHO, is a #15-25 type team ... a team that will have 3 or 4 losses.

thecrimsoncrusader
5/20/2013, 02:25 PM
Oklahoma St. will field the same bad defense, has an unproven offensive player caller at this level and no legit running back (Jeremy Smith is no Joseph Randle regardless of the rushing average). They'll be good, but not that good.

badger
5/20/2013, 02:46 PM
They'll be good, but not that good.

We'll make them look BCS-bound regardless of what their record is :mad:

Simple ... because I don;t think they're a top ten team.

Remember when you Aggz were all like "Goodbye to texas university!" and all like "So long to the orange and the white" and then you lost at home in the last whorn/agg match ever and finished the season 6-6?

This is basically how we've been about our in-state "rivals" lately. We'll be the better team and better program all year and then have to face them on their "Super Bowl" night. gag.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/20/2013, 02:57 PM
We'll make them look BCS-bound regardless of what their record is :mad:...

This is basically how we've been about our in-state "rivals" lately. We'll be the better team and better program all year and then have to face them on their "Super Bowl" night. gag.IMO orange ag wants to beat OU about like we want to beat the domer.

Ruf/Nek7
5/20/2013, 03:05 PM
So Baylor ahead by ranking but behind OU in conference standings?

Mac94
5/20/2013, 03:26 PM

Not implausible .... the difference is just a few spots. So if OU beats Baylor but stumbles elsewhere and finishes with the same conference record ... so 7-2 or 6-3 ... OU would finish ahead of BU in the conferecne standings. But if OU loses to ND and Baylor sweeps their OOC (Wofford, Buffalo, and ULa-Monroe ... Baylor may have an overall record that is one game better.

that all said ... there is a reason I put a bunch of question marks after Baylor's ranking also. Their defense is ba and they lose their QB and best WR. Baylor will be an 8-4 team this year and not better than OU.

Scott D
5/20/2013, 06:57 PM

apparently the idea is that OU has more stumbles in OOC than Baylor.

Salt City Sooner
5/20/2013, 10:18 PM
Yep. Their OOC is Wofford, Buffalo, & La. Monroe, all in Waco.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/20/2013, 10:22 PM
These Preseason Rags are stupid.
Its Kinda like watchin 2 birds on a wire and trying to predict which one will **** 1st.

could you xplain your analogy?

olevetonahill
5/21/2013, 05:40 AM
could you xplain your analogy?

Simply put Its all justa wild assed guess by the writers, There is No way to predict with any degree of certainty which Bird will **** 1st or which team will be the best.

KantoSooner
5/21/2013, 08:30 AM
OU is probably one of the more difficult teams in the country to predict this far out. Our QB could be very green and cost us...or he might be awesome. I remember being told my head was up my butt when I guessed that we were fixed at QB the year before Bradford started (I'll admit that was because I was betting on the others in the depth chart). If we get reasonable or better QB play, we'll be a B+ or better offense.
On defense we could be godawful, again...or we could be, again, a B+ type team. It'll mostly come down to an ability, or lack thereof, to put pressure on opposing QBs.
So, I could see an argument being made for ranking us anywhere between 6 and 20, based on assumptions. And I really don't think you can do any better than that ridiculous range at this stage.

olevetonahill
5/21/2013, 09:18 AM
OU is probably one of the more difficult teams in the country to predict this far out. Our QB could be very green and cost us...or he might be awesome. I remember being told my head was up my butt when I guessed that we were fixed at QB the year before Bradford started (I'll admit that was because I was betting on the others in the depth chart). If we get reasonable or better QB play, we'll be a B+ or better offense.
On defense we could be godawful, again...or we could be, again, a B+ type team. It'll mostly come down to an ability, or lack thereof, to put pressure on opposing QBs.
So, I could see an argument being made for ranking us anywhere between 6 and 20, based on assumptions. And I really don't think you can do any better than that ridiculous range at this stage.

Which Bird ya want?
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmz7k6oIPwSuVc65O0B5hi4UUfuXpk_ jxr9sWyBaUdhNEx9iis

Ruf/Nek7
5/21/2013, 09:43 AM
Not implausible .... the difference is just a few spots. So if OU beats Baylor but stumbles elsewhere and finishes with the same conference record ... so 7-2 or 6-3 ... OU would finish ahead of BU in the conferecne standings. But if OU loses to ND and Baylor sweeps their OOC (Wofford, Buffalo, and ULa-Monroe ... Baylor may have an overall record that is one game better.

that all said ... there is a reason I put a bunch of question marks after Baylor's ranking also. Their defense is ba and they lose their QB and best WR. Baylor will be an 8-4 team this year and not better than OU.

This only makes sense if Baylor beats OU. OOC won't matter in the end. I have seen top teams lose to other top teams (OOC) and stay ahead of unbeatens who are playing Wofford, Buffalo, and LA Monroe.

KantoSooner
5/21/2013, 10:06 AM
Vet, I'll take the one on the right. He looks more settled.

goingoneight
5/21/2013, 05:05 PM
There's nothing wrong with previews. However, the egotistical blowhards who try and predict the season's final outcome do more damage than they know.

goingoneight
5/21/2013, 05:10 PM
OU's team this year will largely rely on the strength of it's game-planning. With known weaknesses on defense, it's absolutely stupid to trot the offense out and play Tech-ball. The team needs to find it's strength and play to it. As attrocious as BIG 12 defenses are, there's no reason OU shouldn't be able to run the ball effectively.

olevetonahill
5/21/2013, 05:36 PM
Vet, I'll take the one on the right. He looks more settled.

:adoration: Thats cause he **** before they Landed, :congratulatory:

8timechamps
5/21/2013, 05:51 PM
OU's team this year will largely rely on the strength of it's game-planning. With known weaknesses on defense, it's absolutely stupid to trot the offense out and play Tech-ball. The team needs to find it's strength and play to it. As attrocious as BIG 12 defenses are, there's no reason OU shouldn't be able to run the ball effectively.

You nailed it. Stoops knows more than anyone that we are (at the very least) inexperienced along the defensive line, so it stands to reason that our defense will be the weak link of this team (at least in the early part of the year). The only way, and IMO the best way, to balance that is to have an offense that can maintain longer, more time consuming drives than recent Sooner teams have had. I really anticipate a much more run-heavy* offense this season.

*This will come in a variety of way, nothing like the old school power I, 3 yards per play offense. We'll see a healthy dose of the QB option run game mixed with called RB runs.

Ruf/Nek7
5/21/2013, 09:01 PM
You nailed it. Stoops knows more than anyone that we are (at the very least) inexperienced along the defensive line, so it stands to reason that our defense will be the weak link of this team (at least in the early part of the year). The only way, and IMO the best way, to balance that is to have an offense that can maintain longer, more time consuming drives than recent Sooner teams have had. I really anticipate a much more run-heavy* offense this season.

*This will come in a variety of way, nothing like the old school power I, 3 yards per play offense. We'll see a healthy dose of the QB option run game mixed with called RB runs.

And I don't know about you guys, but I feel that they are really pushing the TE position back into action which shows that they are wanting to slow things down a little bit. I still feel that we should spread it out, just run a little more.

SoonerKnight
5/22/2013, 10:01 AM
I want the run game to be a strong suit for us. While we have broken records for passing etc on offence we have not seen the kind of break the opponents momentum (hope) kind of long balls to open receivers that bring us to the other side of the field quicker. ND had several of those type of plays against us because the run game worked for them. They broke our momentum and we could not recover. How about we cause the opponents D to give up the big long pass play instead of our D!?!?!

The Big XII is always going to dink and dunk and cause Big XII D's to give up huge yards but as TA&M showed the SEC even good defenses will give up yardage. TA&M was nothing special in the Big XII but now because the SEC was not prepared for the type of offense they think they are going to rule everyone!! We only helped them by blowing chunks on the field against them in the bowl game. All I want to see this year is an improvement on stopping the run game. If we can we will win at least 10 games if not more. I see no way that Bell will choke as the starter. He has fire and swagger!! I seem him being a good leader in the huddle and winning!!

OUmillenium
5/28/2013, 04:10 PM
Our defense will have to prove itself or it will be a long time til we see any top 10 no matter who is quarterbacking

SicEmBaylor
12/9/2013, 07:55 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH F'K YOU AGGIE! :D

Jacie
12/10/2013, 08:35 AM
Sporting News, Their top 10:

1) Bama
2) Stanford
3) S. Carolina
4) Florida
5) Ohio St
6) Oklahoma St (???????)
7) Texas A&M
8) Oregon
9) Clemson
10) Notre Dame

Others of note:

14) Texas
17) Baylor ?????????????????
19) Oklahoma
21) nebraska

Big-12 Predicted Order of finish (and bowl)

oSu (Fiesta)
Texas (Cotton)
OU (Alamo)
Baylor (Buffalo Wild Wings)
KSU (Holiday)
TCU (Meineke)
TTech (Pinstripe)
ISU
WV
KU

Final BCS

1. Florida St.
2. Auburn
3. Alabama
4. Michigan St.
5. Stanford
6. Baylor
7. Ohio St.
8. Missouri
9. South Carolina
10. Oregon
11. Oklahoma
12. Clemson
13. Oklahoma St.
14. Arizona St.
15. UCF
16. LSU
17. UCLA
18. Louisville
19. Wisconsin
20. Fresno St.
21. Texas A&M
22. Georgia
23. Northern Illinois
24. Duke
25. USC

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/10/2013, 09:07 AM
Yup! They were about 50%. Just like guessing which bird will crap first.

BTW Vet, I took the bird on the left. ;-)

OUinFLA
12/10/2013, 10:28 AM
I took the one on the right.

I never vote for the left

badger
12/10/2013, 11:01 AM
Their top 10:

1) Bama
2) Stanford
3) S. Carolina
4) Florida
5) Ohio St
6) Oklahoma St (???????)
7) Texas A&M
8) Oregon
9) Clemson
10) Notre Dame

Your 10 nominees for season's buffoon program:

Alabama: There is no possibility that they will be named national champion this year for the first time in 3 years. Even they won't claim a national championship this year. Ha ha.

Stanford: Oh, if only you didn't lose to... UTAH?! Ouch, that stings.

South Carolina: Anyone that loses an eastern divisional title to Mizzou deserves to be called a buffoon, because championships and Mizzou are not uttered in the same sentence.

Florida: S-E-C! S-E-C!

Ohio State: Well, at least they let you play in the Big Ten title game after an undefeated regular season this time around.

Oklahoma State: Could someone please just give Boone an NFL team instead?

Texas A&M: Is it really progress if you're losing 4 games in the SEC instead of 4 games in some other conference?

Oregon: No Bama for you!

Clemp: No, beating Georgia doesn't mean much any more. Teams do it every year. Even the Pokes beat em a few seasons ago. Sorry.

Notre Dame: Remember back when we were all talking about how we beat them in South Bend. Even we don't care anymore.

Salt City Sooner
12/10/2013, 11:59 AM
Your 10 nominees for season's buffoon program:

Alabama: There is no possibility that they will be named national champion this year for the first time in 3 years. Even they won't claim a national championship this year. Ha ha.

Stanford: Oh, if only you didn't lose to... UTAH?! Ouch, that stings.

South Carolina: Anyone that loses an eastern divisional title to Mizzou deserves to be called a buffoon, because championships and Mizzou are not uttered in the same sentence.

Florida: S-E-C! S-E-C!

Ohio State: Well, at least they let you play in the Big Ten title game after an undefeated regular season this time around.

Oklahoma State: Could someone please just give Boone an NFL team instead?

Texas A&M: Is it really progress if you're losing 4 games in the SEC instead of 4 games in some other conference?

Oregon: No Bama for you!

Clemp: No, beating Georgia doesn't mean much any more. Teams do it every year. Even the Pokes beat em a few seasons ago. Sorry.

Notre Dame: Remember back when we were all talking about how we beat them in South Bend. Even we don't care anymore.
I bet Michigan State cares......;)

KantoSooner
12/10/2013, 12:21 PM
Gotta argue on that one, Badger.

We could beat ND every year until my body lay cold in the ground from ancient old age and it would never get boring. We could pound those motherless bastidges until young children no longer aspired to play for that school out of primal animal fear, and it would not get old. I would not be satisfied until ND officially dropped their football program with an announcement that they were doing so because OU had humiliated them too much to go on.