PDA

View Full Version : House gang reaches deal on immigration reform

okie52
5/17/2013, 11:07 AM
House Negotiators Reach Deal on Immigration Bill

Rep. John Carter
Friday, 17 May 2013 10:41 AM
By Lisa Barron

After teetering on the brink of failure earlier this week, House negotiators reached a tentative deal Thursday on a bipartisan immigration reform bill they hope to release in early June.

According to Politico, Rep. John Carter announced the deal after a two-hour meeting of eight Republican and Democratic lawmakers, some of whom only a day before had threatened to withdraw from the negotiations.

Before the meeting, Carter indicated he was optimistic. "I'm encouraged that we may have a meeting of the minds," the Texas Republican said. "But one way or the other, I'm not going to be sitting in a room, going through the motions and not solving any problems anymore."

"I think for a long time we've said we're so very close," California Democrat Xavier Becerra told reporters after the meeting. "So as long as we can make progress, that’s the most important thing."

One of the main hang-ups during bipartisan talks had been what to do about a guest worker program for seasonal and low-skill workers. Apparently, agreement on that issue still remains elusive and both sides will draw up their own separate proposals, Politico reported.

Agreement on healthcare for immigrants on a path to citizenship is also another issue that bipartisan group is still working on, and may decide to separate from the main bill.

The developments in the House came as the Senate Judiciary Committee continues consideration of the immigration bill drafted by a bipartisan group of eight lawmakers in that chamber.

The eight members of the House immigration group include Republicans ,Carter, Mario Diaz-Balart of Florida, Sam Johnson of Texas and Raul Labrador of Idaho. The Democrats are represented by Becerra, John Yarmuth of Kentucky, Zoe Lofgren of California, and Luis Gutierrez of Illinois.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/house-negotiators-immigration-deal/2013/05/17/id/505042#ixzz2TZBmABxb

yermom
5/17/2013, 06:53 PM
as far as i can tell, that article tells me nothing

Midtowner
5/17/2013, 08:02 PM
It's from newsmax. What'd you expect?