PDA

View Full Version : Liberal Men are Pussies

XingTheRubicon
5/16/2013, 05:09 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2325414/Men-physically-strong-likely-right-wing-political-views.html

Men who are physically strong are more likely to have right wing political views

Weaker men more likely to support welfare state and wealth redistribution
Link may reflect psychological traits that evolved in our ancestors
Strength was a proxy for ability to defend or acquire resources
There is no link between women's physical strength and political views

By Emma Innes

PUBLISHED: 05:21 EST, 16 May 2013 | UPDATED: 10:22 EST, 16 May 2013

Comments (437)

Men who are physically strong are more likely to take a right wing political stance, while weaker men are inclined to support the welfare state, according to a new study.

Researchers discovered political motivations may have evolutionary links to physical strength.

Men's upper-body strength predicts their political opinions on economic redistribution, according to the research.
Men who are physically strong - like Arnold Schwarzenegger - are more likely to take a right wing political stance

Men who are physically strong - like Arnold Schwarzenegger - are more likely to take a right wing political stance

The principal investigators - psychological scientists Michael Bang Petersen, of Aarhus University in Denmark, and Daniel Sznycer, of the University of California in the U.S., believe that the link may reflect psychological traits that evolved in response to our early ancestral environments and continue to influence behaviour today.

Professor Petersen said: ‘While many think of politics as a modern phenomenon, it has - in a sense - always been with our species.’

In the days of our early ancestors, decisions about the distribution of resources were not made in courthouses or legislative offices, but through shows of strength.

More...

Fish oil 'can restore the brain after junk food': Diets rich in omega-3s play key role in reversing damage caused by high fats
Scientists discover a link between epilepsy and autism for the first time

With this in mind, Professor Petersen and Professor Sznycer hypothesised that upper-body strength - a proxy for the ability to physically defend or acquire resources - would predict men's opinions about the redistribution of wealth.

The researchers collected data on bicep size, socio-economic status, and support for economic redistribution from hundreds of people in the United States, Argentina and Denmark.

In line with their hypotheses, the data revealed that wealthy men with high upper-body strength were less likely to support redistribution, while less wealthy men of the same strength were more likely to support it.
Men with less upper body strength are more likely to support the welfare state - like Labour leader Ed Miliband

Men with less upper body strength are more likely to support the welfare state - like Labour leader Ed Miliband

Professor Petersen said: ‘Despite the fact that the United States, Denmark and Argentina have very different welfare systems, we still see that - at the psychological level - individuals reason about welfare redistribution in the same way.

‘In all three countries, physically strong males consistently pursue the self-interested position on redistribution.’

Men with low upper-body strength, on the other hand, were less likely to support their own self-interest.

Wealthy men of this group showed less resistance to redistribution, while poor men showed less support.

Professor Petersen said: ‘Our results demonstrate that physically weak males are more reluctant than physically strong males to assert their self-interest - just as if disputes over national policies were a matter of direct physical confrontation among small numbers of individuals, rather than abstract electoral dynamics among millions.’

However, the researchers found no link between upper-body strength and redistribution opinions among women.

Professor Petersen argued that this is likely due to the fact that, over the course of evolutionary history, women had less to gain, and also more to lose, from engaging in direct physical aggression.

He said, together, the results indicate that an evolutionary perspective may help to illuminate political motivations, at least those of men.

Professor Petersen added: ‘Many previous studies have shown that people's political views cannot be predicted by standard economic models.

‘This is among the first studies to show that political views may be rational in another sense, in that they're designed by natural selection to function in the conditions recurrent over human evolutionary history.’

The findings were published in the journal Psychological Science.

yermom
5/16/2013, 05:11 PM
counterpoint: SicEm

Soonerjeepman
5/16/2013, 05:17 PM
lol...nice one yermom, what about you?

C&CDean
5/16/2013, 05:32 PM
I resemble this.

Lott's Bandana
5/16/2013, 05:35 PM
Interesting that I was saying something very similar about California men v. Oklahoma men to my GF over the weekend.

When I was living there, it seemed the California men in the Bay Area, Marin, Sacramento - I80 corridor seemed quite emasculated and resigned to wearing dark plain t-shirts, resemble Steve Jobs and drive Subaru's.

The men in the Valley that weren't Hispanic were more of a peasant-stock (Okie) and of course, the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valley's make Oklahoma look pink, not red.

olevetonahill
5/16/2013, 05:37 PM
counterpoint: SicEm

Counter counter point. Sicem aint a Man.

C&CDean
5/16/2013, 05:52 PM
You know another thing that supports this study is my own personal experience with travel. I'm averaging about 10K - 20K per month in mileage here lately. Driving all over the country. When passing through liberal strongholds like Austin, DC, Chicago, etc. I always take a second to look inside the little fagmobiles with the Obama stickers on the back. It's either a black chick, a white chick, or a little faggoty dude wearing a herring bone sweater. I have seen 1 or 2 black dudes, and one guy at a gas station in Albuquerque who was latino looking, but it's very rare.

The most headshaking one was in Denver this past week. A chick in a little Nissan with a sticker that looked like an Obama one but it said "Support America" and below it said "No More Bush." The car was a 2012 model. This ignorant little liberal loon put a no Bush sticker on her new car. Liberals are retarded.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/16/2013, 05:55 PM
You know another thing that supports this study is my own personal experience with travel. I'm averaging about 10K - 20K per month in mileage here lately. Driving all over the country. When passing through liberal strongholds like Austin, DC, Chicago, etc. I always take a second to look inside the little fagmobiles with the Obama stickers on the back. It's either a black chick, a white chick, or a little faggoty dude wearing a herring bone sweater. I have seen 1 or 2 black dudes, and one guy at a gas station in Albuquerque who was latino looking, but it's very rare.

The most headshaking one was in Denver this past week. A chick in a little Nissan with a sticker that looked like an Obama one but it said "Support America" and below it said "No More Bush." The car was a 2012 model. This ignorant little liberal loon put a no Bush sticker on her new car. Liberals are retarded.Are you driving yer assoff for fun, or why so much?

SicEmBaylor
5/16/2013, 06:09 PM
I said the same thing weeks ago. I was ahead of the curve.

sappstuf
5/16/2013, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say liberal men are pussies.... Liberal men are more likely to have another man hold an umbrella for them though.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/16/2013, 11:33 PM
The theoretical framework of the study assumes our psychological traits "evolved" from our ancestors.

The human cognitive architecture evolved in response to adaptive problems of ancestral small-scale populations rather than challenges posed by modern institutions or technologies. Therefore, current political attitudes must be generated by a psychology designed for ancestral politics.

One prediction from this theoretical framework is that the mind is designed to respond to variables that ancestrally were relevant even if they are not relevant in modern politics. One such variable is fighting ability in men. Consistent with this, we found that upper body strength, an index of personal fighting ability, modulates attitudes about wealth redistribution in what ancestrally would have been self-beneficial ways. Strength is correlated with support for redistribution among poor individuals and with opposition to redistribution among wealthy individuals. Strength is also correlated with supporting warfare as a means to resolve international conflict. These effects are specific only to males and replicated in three politically distinct societies (US, Argentina, and Denmark). Furthermore, the effects of personal strength appear functional in the context of small-scale societies but not large-scale ones. This research was in collaboration with Michael Bang Petersen, Aaron Sell, John Tooby and Leda Cosmides.

From the dailymail posted by the OP:

?

SanJoaquinSooner
5/16/2013, 11:56 PM
Interesting that I was saying something very similar about California men v. Oklahoma men to my GF over the weekend.

When I was living there, it seemed the California men in the Bay Area, Marin, Sacramento - I80 corridor seemed quite emasculated and resigned to wearing dark plain t-shirts, resemble Steve Jobs and drive Subaru's.

The men in the Valley that weren't Hispanic were more of a peasant-stock (Okie) and of course, the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valley's make Oklahoma look pink, not red.

Okie in San Joaquin Valley -- that's me.

5/17/2013, 12:50 AM
Okie in San Joaquin Valley -- that's me.an Okie Lib in San Joaquin makes you a unique kinda guy, correct?

SanJoaquinSooner
5/17/2013, 12:51 AM
an Okie Lib in San Joaquin makes you a unique kinda guy, correct?

Libertarian

5/17/2013, 12:54 AM
LibertarianOkie Lib Libertarian?

olevetonahill
5/17/2013, 04:34 AM
Okie Lib Libertarian?

Okie Lib Libertarian Coyote

Curly Bill
5/17/2013, 07:34 AM
Backs up what any of us who are observant and have common sense already knew.

okie52
5/17/2013, 08:14 AM
Okie Lib Libertarian Coyote

LOL....

C&CDean
5/17/2013, 08:52 AM
Are you driving yer assoff for fun, or why so much?

Something to do...plus it pays pretty well. When it gets old, I'll stop. Working on a semi/quasi/sorta/kinda-Dave Ramsey plan to be a rich mother****er. Making great progress...

diverdog
5/17/2013, 09:25 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say liberal men are pussies.... Liberal men are more likely to have another man hold an umbrella for them though.

Geez that made me laugh.

You have been in Italy long enough!

5/17/2013, 12:20 PM
Something to do...plus it pays pretty well. When it gets old, I'll stop. Working on a semi/quasi/sorta/kinda-Dave Ramsey plan to be a rich mother****er. Making great progress...Sorry if I missed it or if you don't want to say why all the driving. Pls expound if you care to. (what sort of "work" is it?)

C&CDean
5/17/2013, 05:28 PM
Sorry if I missed it or if you don't want to say why all the driving. Pls expound if you care to. (what sort of "work" is it?)

Cars. Trucks. Usually high-end units but sometimes just regular old Fords/Lincolns/GMCs/Dodges/Caddies/Buicks/Jeeps/Chryslers. Sometimes with a 3-car hauler and sometimes with a single car hauler. I also manage a group of about 18 other drivers. We do a LOT of running. Right now I've got a driver in Harrisburg, PA, one in Denver, one in Hot Springs, one in Woodward, two in Enid, one in Wichita Falls, and several in OKC/Norman/Yukon. Me? Sitting at my desk in Pauls Valley. I did about 6500 miles in the past 8 days. Three of those days were in torrential rain hauling a 53' trailer with a couple hundred thousand bucks worth of vehicles on it. Pretty much sucked.

Turd_Ferguson
5/17/2013, 05:46 PM
Cars. Trucks. Usually high-end units but sometimes just regular old Fords/Lincolns/GMCs/Dodges/Caddies/Buicks/Jeeps/Chryslers. Sometimes with a 3-car hauler and sometimes with a single car hauler. I also manage a group of about 18 other drivers. We do a LOT of running. Right now I've got a driver in Harrisburg, PA, one in Denver, one in Hot Springs, one in Woodward, two in Enid, one in Wichita Falls, and several in OKC/Norman/Yukon. Me? Sitting at my desk in Pauls Valley. I did about 6500 miles in the past 8 days. Three of those days were in torrential rain hauling a 53' trailer with a couple hundred thousand bucks worth of vehicles on it. Pretty much sucked.

Contracted out to Exiss Trailers about 10 years ago delivering their trailers to dealers east coast/west coast and everywhere in between. Had a good time and made good money until diesel sky rocketed but the mileage rate stayed the same. Had to bail...

C&CDean
5/17/2013, 05:57 PM
Contracted out to Exiss Trailers about 10 years ago delivering their trailers to dealers east coast/west coast and everywhere in between. Had a good time and made good money until diesel sky rocketed but the mileage rate stayed the same. Had to bail...

I use the dealership's trucks, trailers, they pay all expenses + fuel. I also make a very nice salary.

They pay for my CDL, my health card, insurance, health insurance, etc. It's a pretty sweet gig. It's funny though when people go "dude, you've got a Master's degree, WTF are you doing driving a truck?" I go "a) I like it, b) I ain't dealing with kiss-*** management wannabes anymore, and c) I'm making more $$ and have more bennies than pretty much any gig the average Master's educated person has."

SicEmBaylor
5/17/2013, 06:13 PM
I have owned a New Beetle and drive a Miata, and I'm as conservative as anyone could possibly be. My next car (hopefully this year) is either going to be a Fiat or a Mini.

diverdog
5/17/2013, 06:46 PM
I have owned a New Beetle and drive a Miata, and I'm as conservative as anyone could possibly be. My next car (hopefully this year) is either going to be a Fiat or a Mini.

Man you need to quit digging your own grave. :)

SicEmBaylor
5/17/2013, 06:52 PM

I actually looked into the Smart Cars, but I just didn't care much for them. A hybrid Fiat would be awesome.

XingTheRubicon
5/17/2013, 07:25 PM
I think I hit a Fiat with my truck once, I'm not sure.

Lott's Bandana
5/17/2013, 07:40 PM

All that gets ME paid every month...

C&CDean
5/17/2013, 09:44 PM
All that gets ME paid every month...

Who loves ya brother?

My driver in PA is at ManH. I was at Euless earlier this week picking up 3. The one in Denver? ManH. Now if ya'll would hire someone besides crackheads to run the gates it'd be sweet...

cleller
5/18/2013, 08:33 AM

Jumping Jehosaphat!

Didn't you also mention something about a scooter? If there are some of those big sweaters with elbow patches in your closet, you'd better keep that door shut.

About 20 years ago I bought a 1977 Jaguar XJS V-12 from a rich guy in Tulsa. One of those crazy impulse things. He was contemplating buying a Miata, which had just come out. I was stunned into silence when he mentioned it. Even my wife could not believe it.

Should have kept that car.

C&CDean
5/18/2013, 09:07 AM
I actually looked into the Smart Cars, but I just didn't care much for them. A hybrid Fiat would be awesome.

Sicem, you talk a conservative game but you play the liberal game. To the hilt.

Conservative men are smart enough to know that driving a hybrid anything is ignorant. Why? Cause you'd have to drive it about 30-years to make up the difference in price from a regular car to make up your difference in gas savings. Also, you can't haul anything (including your moped), you look like a fag going down the road, and your car is a magnet for Obama stickers. There's a reason stupid liberals buy them POS hybrids. It's because they're stupid. DOH.

Also, Fiats are Euromobiles. Nothing built on that side of the pond is worth a ****. Any conservative male knows this. Smart cars? You can get better mileage with a Toyota Camry or Ford Fusion and not look so much like a fag.

Finally, about the only thing semi-conservative is your cigar deal - but I'm pretty sure that's just a compensation deal. Or maybe you like long, round, cylindrical objects in your mouth?

Lott's Bandana
5/18/2013, 11:58 AM
Who loves ya brother?

My driver in PA is at ManH. I was at Euless earlier this week picking up 3. The one in Denver? ManH. Now if ya'll would hire someone besides crackheads to run the gates it'd be sweet...

I am in Euless quite often, the GM was my boss until fairly recently. I also go to W. Kiest quite a bit. Been by Denver's M, but didn't stop.

SicEmBaylor
5/18/2013, 04:08 PM
Sicem, you talk a conservative game but you play the liberal game. To the hilt.

Conservative men are smart enough to know that driving a hybrid anything is ignorant. Why? Cause you'd have to drive it about 30-years to make up the difference in price from a regular car to make up your difference in gas savings. Also, you can't haul anything (including your moped), you look like a fag going down the road, and your car is a magnet for Obama stickers. There's a reason stupid liberals buy them POS hybrids. It's because they're stupid. DOH.

Also, Fiats are Euromobiles. Nothing built on that side of the pond is worth a ****. Any conservative male knows this. Smart cars? You can get better mileage with a Toyota Camry or Ford Fusion and not look so much like a fag.

Finally, about the only thing semi-conservative is your cigar deal - but I'm pretty sure that's just a compensation deal. Or maybe you like long, round, cylindrical objects in your mouth?

I LOVE European cars. I also love smaller-sized cars not for any particular reason -- I just do. I drove a truck for awhile down in Waco, and I hated that damned thing. I felt so much better once I got into a Miata. The big downside isn't being a magnet for stickers -- it's magnet for people to hit my *** because they can't see me.

The gas mileage thing isn't really why I'd want a hybrid. I definitely couldn't give two ****s about the environment, but I do want something economical. The big reason for getting a hybrid is that I'm a sucker for the latest "tech" and gadgets and hybrid cars are definitely tech and gadgety.

It's impossible not to have fun on a scooter. It's true that I can't transport a lot in smaller cars, but generally speaking I rarely need to. If I were going to get something larger than what I've got then I'd get a Nissan Juke.

SicEmBaylor
5/18/2013, 04:10 PM
Jumping Jehosaphat!

Didn't you also mention something about a scooter? If there are some of those big sweaters with elbow patches in your closet, you'd better keep that door shut.

About 20 years ago I bought a 1977 Jaguar XJS V-12 from a rich guy in Tulsa. One of those crazy impulse things. He was contemplating buying a Miata, which had just come out. I was stunned into silence when he mentioned it. Even my wife could not believe it.

Should have kept that car.

My dream car is a Merecedes SLS AMG. I don't know if that helps my case at all, but if money weren't much of an object then that's what I'd immediately purchase.

C&CDean
5/18/2013, 04:23 PM
I LOVE European cars. I also love smaller-sized cars not for any particular reason -- I just do. I drove a truck for awhile down in Waco, and I hated that damned thing. I felt so much better once I got into a Miata. The big downside isn't being a magnet for stickers -- it's magnet for people to hit my *** because they can't see me.

The gas mileage thing isn't really why I'd want a hybrid. I definitely couldn't give two ****s about the environment, but I do want something economical. The big reason for getting a hybrid is that I'm a sucker for the latest "tech" and gadgets and hybrid cars are definitely tech and gadgety.

It's impossible not to have fun on a scooter. It's true that I can't transport a lot in smaller cars, but generally speaking I rarely need to. If I were going to get something larger than what I've got then I'd get a Nissan Juke.

Every single Juke I've seen has an Obama/Biden sticker on it. You couldn't own a more lib car.

diverdog
5/18/2013, 04:27 PM

Digging, digging, digging, digging...........

SicEmBaylor
5/18/2013, 05:02 PM
Every single Juke I've seen has an Obama/Biden sticker on it. You couldn't own a more lib car.

Let me say this -- if my car ever had an Obama/Biden sticker on it then I'd burn the mother f'kr to the ground purely out of principle. :D

C&CDean
5/18/2013, 07:54 PM
Let me say this -- if my car ever had an Obama/Biden sticker on it then I'd burn the mother f'kr to the ground purely out of principle. :D

The cars you dig come with them. Like I said, you talk the talk, but you damn sure don't walk the walk. You know who owns Mercedes Benz's? Retards. And liberals. Pretty much the same thing.

soonerhubs
5/18/2013, 09:23 PM

The most headshaking one was in Denver this past week. A chick in a little Nissan with a sticker that looked like an Obama one but it said "Support America" and below it said "No More Bush." The car was a 2012 model. This ignorant little liberal loon put a no Bush sticker on her new car. Liberals are retarded.

Let me know if you ever get into Northern Utah. We'll do lunch or something.

REDREX
5/19/2013, 08:44 AM
The cars you dig come with them. Like I said, you talk the talk, but you damn sure don't walk the walk. You know who owns Mercedes Benz's? Retards. And liberals. Pretty much the same thing.----I am not real sure about that----although I do hate liberal gov't