PDA

View Full Version : So, What if OU had an offensive lineman in the same position as Kolton Houston

Scott D
5/16/2013, 01:39 PM
In case folks don't know the background on this one, Georgia has a player named Kolton Houston who despite being at Georgia for 3 years now, has yet to take a snap due to a dispute/suspension by the NCAA. It was a subject covered yesterday on Outside The Lines on ESPN. Basically when the kid came in as a freshman he failed a drug test for steroids despite not being a player who was using them. His test showed at a number that was basically off the charts. Turns out, that kid had surgery on his shoulder when he was 15/16 years old, and the doctor without telling him what was in the shot, injected some steroids into the fatty tissue to help with his recovery from the surgery. Basically his body is slowly "draining" the steroids out of his system, but he continued to test positive, and he and some evidence from the Georgia athletic dept. via regular drug testing showed that the elevated level in his system has been dropping at a steady pace at a time when the NCAA attempted to ban him for life for basically showing a second high positive test. This kid has tried a lot of things including semi-risky surgery to have some of that fat tissue cut out of his body in an attempt to get within the NCAA allowed limit.

So in short, with the massive amounts of love people here have for the NCAA. What would be your feelings if this situation was something that was happening to one of OU's players.

badger
5/16/2013, 01:53 PM
Forget the hypothetical. It's an SEC team, so that immediately sends up a red flag anytime there's talk of bending the rules.

The fact that Georgia took extra steps to prevent him from getting a lifetime ban is good enough, IMHO.

The steroids give him an unfair advantage over others that didn't take them. They have been proven to cause injuries to heal faster, not to mention give bodybuilding women butt acne. It's a banned substance in the NCAA for many reasons.

If he was going to be a D-1 prospect, he should have been more proactive during his HS football years. It's not like the substance was some obscure unheard of supplement with a silly "xxxxphedrine" "pseudoxxxxx" name. STEROIDS!

IMHO, the NCAA is doing exactly what it needs to in order to enforce its rules and protect its standing as a rules enforcer. Don't bend the rules, don't make exceptions.

If it was an OU player, I would hope OU would do the same thing George was --- testing regularly to show a regular decline in the system, rather than repeated use of a banned drug. I would not expect the NCAA to bend the rules for us.

I know he's a football player that wants to play football, but in the meantime, he's getting a free education and preserving his body without gameday abuse which could extend his career further in the money making stage. Little reason to have sympathy. It's not like he is about to die unless they let him play.

KantoSooner
5/16/2013, 02:12 PM
Badger, without those years of training and development and exposure, he won't get to the money making stage of a football career.
A strong case could be made that, through rigid enforement of the letter of its rules and ignoring the purpose of those same rules, the NCAA has stolen this young man's potential professional career.

oudanny
5/16/2013, 02:13 PM
If the doctor confirms his story then I say sue the NCAA bastages.

badger
5/16/2013, 02:40 PM
I know that there are many that feel that the National Communists Against Athletes are communists that act against athletes' best interest nationally, but let's talk this through:

1- He committed a rule violation.

2- His steroid level is still above the minimum thresh hold for eligibility, even if its lower than it once was.

3- He will regain eligibility when he meets the requirements to not have a high level of a banned substance in his body.

4- Chant SEC repeatedly if you don't see any red flags in a situation like this.

Auburn conveniently didn't drug test for synthetic marijuana until after Gene Chizik and Cam Newton raised the crystal football. How convenient would it be for another SEC program or anyone to suddenly "whoops" some surgery into players suddenly having elevated steroid levels.

A strong case could be made that, through rigid enforement of the letter of its rules and ignoring the purpose of those same rules, the NCAA has stolen this young man's potential professional career.

It's not like he'd be eligible to play in the NFL with that elevated steroid level right now, anyway. I think the drug tests at that level are a lot more picky and frequent, too. Perhaps the question should be asked why he wasn't tested for performance enhancers at the high school level. Then they could have gotten this problem discovered and solved a lot sooner.

soonertravis
5/16/2013, 03:14 PM
Don't know the story and I am no doctor, so I would like a doctor's opinion here. It is my understanding the steroids used to inject the joints, muscles, etc. are different from the steroids used to build muscle. It also seems crazy that steroids remain in one's body for several years after an injection. Is this accurate?

OUDoc
5/16/2013, 03:20 PM
Don't know the story and I am no doctor, so I would like a doctor's opinion here. It is my understanding the steroids used to inject the joints, muscles, etc. are different from the steroids used to build muscle. It also seems crazy that steroids remain in one's body for several years after an injection. Is this accurate?

It's the difference between anabolic and catabolic steroids. Why would the NCAA be looking for catabolic steroid use? Plus, I don't know any joint injections that should last 5 years.
I'm thinking BS on this one.

olevetonahill
5/16/2013, 03:26 PM
It's the difference between anabolic and catabolic steroids. Why would the NCAA be looking for catabolic steroid use? Plus, I don't know any joint injections that should last 5 years.

Ima gonna go with Your assessment I dont know 1 from the other but 5 years is a LONG dayum time fer sompun to stay in yer system

Scott D
5/16/2013, 04:41 PM

according to the story, this doctor apparently injected them into the fat tissue rather than into the muscle/joint. It's something that could have been a pure mistake, or it could have been intentional on the doctor's part I don't know either way.

I was thinking bs on the story as well, but if a kid is willing to try an experimental antibiotic, have elective surgery to remove fat tissue, and has attempted extreme saunas in an attempt to lower the level there may be something to it. He did get grilled by both the guy in the Georgia Athletic Dept, and his parents about it being supplement based or if the kid took straight up steroids. From the way it sounded, nothing came up with a red flag until they looked into his shoulder surgery.

Scott D
5/16/2013, 04:44 PM
Article from the Atlanta Constitution-Journal (http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/uga-sports/2013/may/14/ten10-kolton-houston-speaks-about-ncaa-ban/)

I watched with interest this past weekend the ESPN Outside the Lines piece, “Testing the Limit.” It’s the story of the struggles of Georgia’s Kolton Houston to gain his NCAA eligibility.

Of course, Houston’s story is old news to most Georgia fans. The junior offensive lineman out of Buford has been ineligible since testing positive for anabolic steroids his freshman year in 2010. As Houston recounts in the ESPN report, the banned substance’s presence is reportedly the result of injections he received from a doctor to speed his recovery from shoulder surgery as a high school junior.

UGA has vehemently appealed Houston’s case directly to NCAA President Mark Emmert on the grounds that Houston has never re-used and the steroid levels that remain in his body are a result of a medical phenomenon that trapped them in fatty tissue. Nevertheless, Georgia claims the amounts have dissipated to the point there is no competitive advantage and have requested Houston immediately have his eligibility restored. That request was denied -- although Houston’s lifetime ban was waived -- until the steroids present in his body are below the NCAA’s acceptable threshold.

2. Most of you knew all that. But there were three bits of new information (at least to me) in the report by ESPN’s Bob Holtzman:

One, Houston underwent in October a controversial surgical procedure to remove five fatty masses from areas he received injections. That was at least the third radical treatment Houston has undergone. He also was administered an experimental antibiotic and had a 150-degree steam treatment.

Second, that the levels of the steroid nandrolone present in his body has been substantially reduced, from 260 nanograms per milliliter originally to 4 ng/ml most recently. That is still above the NCAA’s acceptable threshold of 2.5 ng/ml.

And finally, we heard from Houston himself for the first time. He has declined interview requests from media outlets that regularly cover the team. A couple of the comments I thought were particularly poignant:

On the radical measures he has taken to try to reach the steroid threshold the NCAA prescribes . . .
“I was hesitant about it. The NCAA, they sit there and proclaim that they’re here for the sake of the athletes, and this is the third step that’s completely unsafe for the athlete.”

On whether he thinks he’ll ever play for Georgia . . .
“I do. . . .If you came up with a dream since you were 4 years old you’re going to beat that dead horse until there’s no more beating to give.”

Eielson
5/16/2013, 06:05 PM
If it weren't for the fact that the majority of high-level athletes are using steroids, I'd say ban him anyway, because it gives him an unfair advantage. If I were trying to pretend college football was clean of PEDs, I would at the very least suspend him. I'd feel bad for the kid, though, if I felt that kid could have made it to the collegiate level without that advantage.

And that doctor should definitely be in hot water.

Mjcpr
5/16/2013, 06:45 PM
Fatty tissue.

8timechamps
5/16/2013, 07:56 PM
If all of the facts OTL reported are accurate, then the kid should sue the doctor. As for playing, I say not until he is below the accepted levels. Since that could cost him a chance at future earnings, then I think that's an issue between he and the doctor that injected him.

Unfortunately, I've had plenty of exposure with doctors, and in all of my time being poked and prodded, I never allowed a doctor to inject me without knowing what exactly was being injected. Of course, I'm an adult, so there is a difference. Still, you'd think his parents would have taken the same safeguards.

I'm with the NCAA on this one, and surprisingly it has nothing to do with the issue involving an SEC team.

PalmBeachSooner
5/17/2013, 01:11 PM
I know that there are many that feel that the National Communists Against Athletes are communists that act against athletes' best interest nationally, but let's talk this through:

1- He committed a rule violation.

2- His steroid level is still above the minimum thresh hold for eligibility, even if its lower than it once was.

3- He will regain eligibility when he meets the requirements to not have a high level of a banned substance in his body.

4- Chant SEC repeatedly if you don't see any red flags in a situation like this.

Auburn conveniently didn't drug test for synthetic marijuana until after Gene Chizik and Cam Newton raised the crystal football. How convenient would it be for another SEC program or anyone to suddenly "whoops" some surgery into players suddenly having elevated steroid levels.

It's not like he'd be eligible to play in the NFL with that elevated steroid level right now, anyway. I think the drug tests at that level are a lot more picky and frequent, too. Perhaps the question should be asked why he wasn't tested for performance enhancers at the high school level. Then they could have gotten this problem discovered and solved a lot sooner.

He didn't do it to gain an unfair advantage. That should matter.

Scott D
5/17/2013, 01:16 PM
If all of the facts OTL reported are accurate, then the kid should sue the doctor. As for playing, I say not until he is below the accepted levels. Since that could cost him a chance at future earnings, then I think that's an issue between he and the doctor that injected him.

Unfortunately, I've had plenty of exposure with doctors, and in all of my time being poked and prodded, I never allowed a doctor to inject me without knowing what exactly was being injected. Of course, I'm an adult, so there is a difference. Still, you'd think his parents would have taken the same safeguards.

I'm with the NCAA on this one, and surprisingly it has nothing to do with the issue involving an SEC team.

I'm fine with the initial suspension. It was the accusation of "re-using" and the eventually overturned lifetime ban that I had the issue with.

And I can't think of too many 15 year olds that would be asking exactly what's in a shot they're being given by a doctor, especially if they hear from that doctor that it should help them be ready to participate in sports sooner.

8timechamps
5/17/2013, 01:23 PM
I'm fine with the initial suspension. It was the accusation of "re-using" and the eventually overturned lifetime ban that I had the issue with.

And I can't think of too many 15 year olds that would be asking exactly what's in a shot they're being given by a doctor, especially if they hear from that doctor that it should help them be ready to participate in sports sooner.

I agree with the accusation of his continual use, that was BS. Although, it still seems odd to me that he would be over the limit this far after the fact.

Sure his parent/parents were involved with his medical care, and knew (or at least would ask) what was being injected. Who knows though, maybe he was just in for a follow-up and by himself. You're right, most 15 years olds wouldn't question what a doctor was doing. If he was alone, then it's reasonable to think he was like "whatever". Not sure we'll ever know what went down.

I do hope the kid can play at some point. It would be really sad if he couldn't play because of what the doc did.

Scott D
5/17/2013, 01:28 PM
Hopefully he'll get that last 1.5 ng/ml out of his system in the near future. Although honestly, it's possible that he could be green lighted with a drop of 1.0 even though it's still 0.5 over the allowed limit due to the exposure it's getting now.

Soonerjeepman
5/17/2013, 01:37 PM
according to the story, this doctor apparently injected them into the fat tissue rather than into the muscle/joint. It's something that could have been a pure mistake, or it could have been intentional on the doctor's part I don't know either way.

My brother gave me a shot for my shoulder, he's a rhumy...it took him about 5-8 minutes of pricking my back shoulder to find a spot that would work. He never uses the side or front. Marked it with a pen then gave me the shot. I think there is def a science to it and might be a mistake.
Just an FYI

TheHumanAlphabet
5/21/2013, 11:27 AM
Badger, without those years of training and development and exposure, he won't get to the money making stage of a football career.

Kanto, I with Badg on this... He doesn't need the NCAA to go pro, he can get his degree and move on. There are semi-pro or CFL teams out there for him to develop. The NCAA is NOT the NFL Minor leagues.

SoonerKnight
5/22/2013, 10:28 AM
Granted the kid is getting a free education but while the NCAA is not minors for the pros it helps in the development of a player to get to that level. The question should be did he knowingly violate NCAA policy? Or did he have surgery and a doctor gave him a shot (at 16 years old for injury) that is now showing up on drug tests?
If he was allowed to play would it give him an unfair advantage or will it not effect anything?

If it does not give him an unfair advantage then he should get a waiver and be allowed to play!!! He had an injury in high school received treatment for it and is now being excluded from playing because of a policy that is intended to prevent unfair advantages!!

Scott D
5/22/2013, 07:03 PM
Kanto, I with Badg on this... He doesn't need the NCAA to go pro, he can get his degree and move on. There are semi-pro or CFL teams out there for him to develop. The NCAA is NOT the NFL Minor leagues.

At this point it has nothing to do with going pro. It has to do with a kid who isn't able to live out a dream he's had since he was 4-5 years old because of the NCAA.