PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Fraud Question

Lott's Bandana
5/15/2013, 12:06 PM
Rented a car recently in Amarillo, a place where Avis still uses the old way of transacting. Counter, with ink-jet printout, walk to the car parked on a dirt lot. Return with mileage and keys, etc.

A month later, some yahoo makes purchases at two different WalMarts in Amarillo and buys gas in Canyon, TX (10 mi south of Amarillo), using the card number I rented with previously.

My question is:

If they don't actually have the card, how do they buy at WM or get gas?? These obviously weren't online purchases.

My credit union alerted me to the fraud and called, charges will be removed.

sappstuf
5/15/2013, 12:14 PM
My sister lives in Canyon. I'll ask her what she bought and how she did it... ;)

pphilfran
5/15/2013, 12:16 PM
Rented a car recently in Amarillo, a place where Avis still uses the old way of transacting. Counter, with ink-jet printout, walk to the car parked on a dirt lot. Return with mileage and keys, etc.

A month later, some yahoo makes purchases at two different WalMarts in Amarillo and buys gas in Canyon, TX (10 mi south of Amarillo), using the card number I rented with previously.

My question is:

If they don't actually have the card, how do they buy at WM or get gas?? These obviously weren't online purchases.

Manual checkout? Made a card with your number? Manually keyed in the account number?

I had over 10 grand in fraudulent charges on a card...Gadsden, Ala. Hampton Inn is where they got the number....

pphilfran
5/15/2013, 12:17 PM
My sister lives in Canyon. I'll ask her what she bought and how she did it... ;)

I lived down the road in Hereford...took a couple of courses at WT...

badger
5/15/2013, 12:31 PM
Are credit cards really high tech devices, or are they just plastic with a dark bar to swipe and some number embossed on one side?

If they have your name and number, there's probably some little "Thief in a Box" device out there that can make a phony credit card, much like those who create phony IDs to buy beer.

The good news is that fraudulent charges, by law, are the card's responsibility, not the cardholder's.

Lott's Bandana
5/15/2013, 12:57 PM
Manual checkout? Made a card with your number? Manually keyed in the account number?

I had over 10 grand in fraudulent charges on a card...Gadsden, Ala. Hampton Inn is where they got the number....

I've had my Hhonors account hacked as well. Stupid people have vouchers faxed to them.

I never run into a situation where I enter my card number manually, unless online. Especially at a gas station. Naturally I'm pissed as hell, at the sh!theel as well as Avis.

rock on sooner
5/15/2013, 12:58 PM
Just a guess...but, if it was a month later, then the thief
had a card and fake ID made and then used it in person.
You probably should check with credit reporting agencies
to make sure nothing else is going on....

badger
5/15/2013, 01:05 PM
Also of note: If you're traveling far outta state or to another country, alert your credit card company in advance, or they'll suspect fraud when you use it in your new location.

olevetonahill
5/15/2013, 01:18 PM
I've had my Hhonors account hacked as well. Stupid people have vouchers faxed to them.

I never run into a situation where I enter my card number manually, unless online. Especially at a gas station. Naturally I'm pissed as hell, at the sh!theel as well as Avis.

Crooks have Scanners that they connect to gas pumps and ATMs and such, Steal yer info then go their merry way

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/15/2013, 01:39 PM

My question is:

low tech way - they wrote down the number, expiration date and the 3 digit security code. Then had their buddies at different stores key it in.

high tech way - since the magnetic strip is basically just an RFID, they just recoded a blank card with your number/expiry. They then used self-service stations to buy stuff so that no one could see it wasn't a real credit card (though most of those pop up with a show the clerk the card message).

serious high tech way - recreate the card

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/15/2013, 01:40 PM
Are credit cards really high tech devices, or are they just plastic with a dark bar to swipe and some number embossed on one side?

If they have your name and number, there's probably some little "Thief in a Box" device out there that can make a phony credit card, much like those who create phony IDs to buy beer.

The good news is that fraudulent charges, by law, are the card's responsibility, not the cardholder's.

No, because they have to work on the lowest common denominator of credit card machines.

ouleaf
5/15/2013, 05:09 PM
No, because they have to work on the lowest common denominator of credit card machines.

those are probably more likely to be compromised if it is out of date/non-compliant equipment they are processing on.

Midtowner
5/15/2013, 05:22 PM
Not your responsibility. Report to the card company, they'll send you a form and off those charges go.

If you want to be super paranoid about your credit, do what I did--I got a call from the Secret Service a few years ago stating that someone was using my identity in Virginia or something to that effect (I forget exactly what). I then went to the three credit bureaus and put my report on lockdown (about $10-$15 per bureau). Now, I have to login, enter a PIN and tell them for what period to leave it open. Makes impulse purchases impossible, but to anyone who wants to try and use my credit for illicit purposes, I'm a ghost.

olevetonahill
5/15/2013, 05:26 PM
Not your responsibility. Report to the card company, they'll send you a form and off those charges go.

If you want to be super paranoid about your credit, do what I did--I got a call from the Secret Service a few years ago stating that someone was using my identity in Virginia or something to that effect (I forget exactly what). I then went to the three credit bureaus and put my report on lockdown (about $10-$15 per bureau). Now, I have to login, enter a PIN and tell them for what period to leave it open. Makes impulse purchases impossible, but to anyone who wants to try and use my credit for illicit purposes, I'm a ghost.

He dint ask what YOU did. he simply told his story then asked HOW they did it.

8timechamps
5/15/2013, 09:09 PM
Lott,

I had a similar incident in Idaho. After all was said and done, my bank said that it's actually safer nowadays to transact business online (versus the old imprint method). Careless merchants make it too easy for the crooks to gain access.

While we're on the topic of car rental companies, I would like to encourage to pay attention to the transaction when renting a car. I was in NYC about six months ago, and needed a car for 11 days, so I got a good deal from Dollar at Laguardia. The rental came to about $600, so (as per the usual) Dollar put that amount on reserve on my card. Fast forward 11 days, I bring the car back and the girl working the counter must have re-charged me. She realized her mistake (but apparently didn't know how to correct it). I was nervous that she screwed up, but didn't have time to investigate. I didn't think about it again until I get a call from my Visa company asking me about an $1,800 charge to Dollar.

Apparently, in the clerks efforts to release the hold on my card, she charged it two more times. In Dollar's defense, they were pretty good about resolving the problem, it was more of a pain in the *** than anything.

I used to use Hertz, and could go right to my car (and all of the payment was automated), but I don't travel as frequently as I used to and usually try to shop for a better rate when I do travel.

Lott's Bandana
5/16/2013, 07:24 AM
Lott,

I had a similar incident in Idaho. After all was said and done, my bank said that it's actually safer nowadays to transact business online (versus the old imprint method). Careless merchants make it too easy for the crooks to gain access.

While we're on the topic of car rental companies, I would like to encourage to pay attention to the transaction when renting a car. I was in NYC about six months ago, and needed a car for 11 days, so I got a good deal from Dollar at Laguardia. The rental came to about $600, so (as per the usual) Dollar put that amount on reserve on my card. Fast forward 11 days, I bring the car back and the girl working the counter must have re-charged me. She realized her mistake (but apparently didn't know how to correct it). I was nervous that she screwed up, but didn't have time to investigate. I didn't think about it again until I get a call from my Visa company asking me about an $1,800 charge to Dollar.

Apparently, in the clerks efforts to release the hold on my card, she charged it two more times. In Dollar's defense, they were pretty good about resolving the problem, it was more of a pain in the *** than anything.

I used to use Hertz, and could go right to my car (and all of the payment was automated), but I don't travel as frequently as I used to and usually try to shop for a better rate when I do travel.

This is why I pointed out the old-school way Avis transacts in Amarillo. Usually I get off a shuttle, get into my car, return it and get an email receipt. Not this time. I'm presuming there is a connection between their methodology and the ability to snag my card information.

olevetonahill
5/16/2013, 07:29 AM
This is why I pointed out the old-school way Avis transacts in Amarillo. Usually I get off a shuttle, get into my car, return it and get an email receipt. Not this time. I'm presuming there is a connection between their methodology and the ability to snag my card information.

Bro IMHO they had inside help at the wally weird Or scanned yer Info and cloned a card.

8timechamps
5/16/2013, 07:44 PM

Wouldn't surprise me at all if there is a connection.

I realize Amarillo isn't Dallas, but it's not exactly Pawhuska either. You'd think they'd be more modernized.

Turd_Ferguson
5/16/2013, 08:10 PM

Been to Gadsden a few times. Home of the Fuzzy Duck **** kicker bar.

nighttrain12
5/19/2013, 11:55 AM
This has happened to me once, earliler this year. I have each of my credit cards set up online so they email me immediately an alert if there is ever a charge over $500 (my choice). I'll know if I made a legit charge over that amount but if not, I can sign in online from anywhere and see the exact details and dispute it the same day if necessary.

SicEmBaylor
5/19/2013, 12:05 PM
Lott,

It's not that much safer. I've had my debit card number stolen after an online transaction.

Personally, I think the very best thing to do is to never use a debit card that is attached to your account. Use pre-paid debit cards unless you absolutely must use the legitimate debit card. I've had my number stolen three times, and I got sick of it.

Now credit cards are a different matter. It's harder to get around that.

8timechamps
5/19/2013, 08:23 PM
It's not that much safer. I've had my debit card number stolen after an online transaction.

Personally, I think the very best thing to do is to never use a debit card that is attached to your account. Use pre-paid debit cards unless you absolutely must use the legitimate debit card. I've had my number stolen three times, and I got sick of it.

You're probably right, but I'd rather have an electronic record to dispute. Dealing with a business that depends on the old carbon copy machine is bad news.

I've been fortunate with my debit card (no incidents), but know a lot of folks that have had issues. I don't want to have the fuss of getting prepaid debit cards, and I have my debit card number memorized. The safeguard is that 95% of my disposable cash is in a money market account. I keep only what I need (plus a few hundred bucks) in my debit card account. Anyone that keeps all of their cash in their checking account are asking for trouble.

olevetonahill
5/19/2013, 08:44 PM
So yer saying I should spread out my 3 dollars?

SicEmBaylor
5/19/2013, 08:52 PM
So yer saying I should spread out my 3 dollars?
Correct. Don't blow your wad (pun intended) on the first stripper at the pole -- spread that three bucks between three different ladies.

olevetonahill
5/19/2013, 09:42 PM
Correct. Don't blow your wad (pun intended) on the first stripper at the pole -- spread that three bucks between three different ladies.

:biggrin:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/20/2013, 12:36 AM

I didn't think pre-paid cards got any consumer protections. I mainly use my Amex online as those guys are crazy good at spotting online fraudulent transactions (or immediately calling me if they suspect something). I've had this card for years -> linky (http://www304.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/Hilton-Hhonors/28000?ccsgeep=28000&psCCSG=CCSG_Bing_PA_Hilton%20Honors) as I refuse to pay an annual fee for a credit card.