PDA

View Full Version : got busted using the word "hood"

Soonerjeepman
5/15/2013, 09:38 AM
most know I teach in urban KC. Not like Chicago, NY, etc..but the "hood" no less. Low income, area of some violence, drugs, gov housing etc.

We had our school carnival on Friday, which I'm in charge of. The Wed before I went in to a group of Jr from a local college UMKC, to ask if they wanted to come volunteer.

I took 5 mins., explained the in/outs of the carnival, that I had been there 20+ yrs and was in charge, it's a great time.... I finished with this statement..in a LIGHT voice, with a little laugh at the end.

"If you want to come see what a school carnival looks like in the "hood"...gets a little crazy but the kids have a blast, come join us"

Within 45 min the professor in charge of the program had called my principal to complain.

Understand, they are at our school to get the URBAN/HOOD experience, they go to suburban and private as well. My principal said it was reported that a student asked to help, I then said "it's dangerous in the hood"...which was a total lie. I told my principal I wanted to talk to the professor because that was NOT true. End of story is the truth came out and we can't use "hood" even though the parents, kids, and every other teacher says that~

I talked to a student that showed up, she said they have all this sensitivity training so that they don't call it that or offend anyone, that was the uproar...

really getting bad out there...words folks, words...that is all they are. The fact that 20+ yr olds have to "tattle tell" as well...geeze

Mid - I'll save ya the post..yeah I'm racists..just ask the thousands of kids/parents I've been involved with over the 23 yrs.

KantoSooner
5/15/2013, 09:40 AM
"There are no 'bad words'. Bad thoughts, bad intentions, but not words." - George Carlin

Soonerjeepman
5/15/2013, 09:42 AM
luv me some GC..funny guy

KantoSooner
5/15/2013, 09:47 AM
"Show me the people who have the guns, the money and the property and I'll show you who's in power." - GC

My favorite

diverdog
5/15/2013, 10:06 AM
most know I teach in urban KC. Not like Chicago, NY, etc..but the "hood" no less. Low income, area of some violence, drugs, gov housing etc.

We had our school carnival on Friday, which I'm in charge of. The Wed before I went in to a group of Jr from a local college UMKC, to ask if they wanted to come volunteer.

I took 5 mins., explained the in/outs of the carnival, that I had been there 20+ yrs and was in charge, it's a great time.... I finished with this statement..in a LIGHT voice, with a little laugh at the end.

"If you want to come see what a school carnival looks like in the "hood"...gets a little crazy but the kids have a blast, come join us"

Within 45 min the professor in charge of the program had called my principal to complain.

Understand, they are at our school to get the URBAN/HOOD experience, they go to suburban and private as well. My principal said it was reported that a student asked to help, I then said "it's dangerous in the hood"...which was a total lie. I told my principal I wanted to talk to the professor because that was NOT true. End of story is the truth came out and we can't use "hood" even though the parents, kids, and every other teacher says that~

I talked to a student that showed up, she said they have all this sensitivity training so that they don't call it that or offend anyone, that was the uproar...

really getting bad out there...words folks, words...that is all they are. The fact that 20+ yr olds have to "tattle tell" as well...geeze

Mid - I'll save ya the post..yeah I'm racists..just ask the thousands of kids/parents I've been involved with over the 23 yrs.

Wow, I am sorry to hear that.

I got nailed for saying "manning the phone center". HR said the appropriate gender neutral term was "staffing". I wanted to say the perfect term is F*** you. PC is out of hand these days.

rock on sooner
5/15/2013, 10:15 AM
Jeep, sorry to hear about that. I taught at Washington High in
KC, Kan in the early 70's and the foundation of that sort of
attitude was being poured then...back stabbing principle and
a worm of a vice principle running the show....

badger
5/15/2013, 10:42 AM
The professor seemed to have wanted action and the true story didn't warrant it, hence the fabrication.

I've often wondered how our generation's history will be told centuries from now, perhaps in dramatic form, or just written out in history books.

I have a feeling that when movie makers (or whatever the media is of the time) try to tell of Obama being elected, it wouldn't be war veteran moderate Republican versus half-black Harvard graduate. That's just not interesting enough. Rather, Obama is going to speak in front of a rioting KKK mob who are burning crosses as he tries to shout over their racist slurs, while evil evil racist McCain is leading a "White Power!" chant and egging them on to lynch Obama.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/15/2013, 07:45 PM
Public ed is so effed up... There is no hope. It just needs to be gutted.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/15/2013, 07:53 PM
"Show me the people who have the guns, the money and the property and I'll show you who's in power." - GC

My favoritethat would be the US Govt., and Carlin would be right on that, of course.

Soonerjeepman
5/16/2013, 08:26 AM
DD - yup...crazy ..

Rock..wow. I've got to ask, though, was Washington more Euro-Americans than not?

Our PE teacher went to Washington, had the 2 schedule thing going I think... then when Schlagle opened he transferred.

rock on sooner
5/16/2013, 08:35 AM
DD - yup...crazy ..

Rock..wow. I've got to ask, though, was Washington more Euro-Americans than not?

Our PE teacher went to Washington, had the 2 schedule thing going I think... then when Schlagle opened he transferred.

Yeah, the school was doing "double duty"...I taught juniors and
seniors...morning classes...in my classroom at 6:00 A.M. first bell
at 6:30! Very few people of color...any color...

olevetonahill
5/16/2013, 08:36 AM
Yeah, the school was doing "double duty"...I taught juniors and
seniors...morning classes...in my classroom at 6:00 A.M. first bell
at 6:30! Very few people of color...any color...

Even WHITE is a color. where they all Ghosts er sompun?

rock on sooner
5/16/2013, 09:12 AM
Even WHITE is a color. where they all Ghosts er sompun?

Smarta$$!:tongue: No ghosts, just whites...

olevetonahill
5/16/2013, 09:13 AM
Smarta$$!:tongue: No ghosts, just whites...

:tongue:

rock on sooner
5/16/2013, 09:16 AM
Heh...

TAFBSooner
5/16/2013, 12:32 PM
that would be the US Govt., and Carlin would be right on that, of course.

Mostly but not entirely correct - Wall Street has a lot of money and therefore a lot of control over the government.

C&CDean
5/16/2013, 01:59 PM
Try working for the federal government (or quasi-government) organization. It's so PC it's sickening. Before I retired I got so jaundiced I just quit going to meetings; and especially conferences and stuff. Sorry, but you ain't an african-american. You're black. It took me 20-something years to learn to say "black" instead of "colored." Besides, I probably have more African blood in me than you do. You're oriental, not asian-american. You're hispanic not whatever the **** the PC crowd calls hispanics. You're bald, not follicularly challenged. You're short, not vertically challenged. You're retarded, not whatever the **** the PC crowd calls retards. You got a little dick, not penisally challenged. You got little titties, you're not mammarilly challenged.

My wife is a member of the diversity committee where she works and every week/month is dedicated to some group - besides white folks. Well unless you consider the gays, the bombing survivors, 9-11 survivors, and all the other "victims" white folks. It's a whole bunch of meh to me.