PDA

View Full Version : Monday poll: SEC vs not-OU

badger
5/14/2013, 11:48 AM
I have a tough choice for you, but it's a very likely scenario in this upcoming national title game, and one that we've all faced countless times before:

SEC vs. not-us.

Would you rather see the SEC win an 8th consecutive national title, or would you rather see someone that we might not necessarily like, but is not an SEC team, win.

SEC includes all 14 schools in that bloated conference. non-SEC includes every other FBS program not named OU, including Texas, Oklahoma State, Boise State, Oregon, USC, Miami, Florida State, Notre Dame... have I named every program you hated yet? :)

Three days of anonymous voting!

Mac94
5/14/2013, 11:52 AM
I won't vote since I am kinda biased ... will say I think Ohio State has a good shot at getting to the BCS game. Good team and favorable schedule to go undefeated.

budbarrybob
5/14/2013, 12:17 PM
This poll seems like one that would read like this...
Would you rather (A) be on a nice warm sandy southern caribbean beach holding a strong fruity adult beverage or (B) listening to Al and Jim talk about old songs.

badger
5/14/2013, 12:25 PM
This poll seems like one that would read like this...
Would you rather (A) be on a nice warm sandy southern caribbean beach holding a strong fruity adult beverage or (B) listening to Al and Jim talk about old songs.

That's the idea. It's like choosing between USC or Texas for the 2005 title... you wish there were a third option, but there isn't.

Oregon vs Barner? Uggggggh

LSU vs Ohio State? Bleeegh.

So, I wanted to find out if you all were prepared to endure a lose-lose scenario. Looks like 6 of you are prepared. Are the rest of you really clinging to that "slim" chance that OU comes out of the season unscathed and you can just root for your own team.

Or perhaps that "none" chance where an SEC team does not make the national title game.

Bourbon St Sooner
5/14/2013, 12:32 PM
I'd root for the Red Army against the johnny reb conference these days.

SoonerNomad
5/14/2013, 03:41 PM
It will depend on who the teams are. There are teams in the SEC that I would root for over say Notre Dame, Miami, USC, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma State and a couple of others, but absent one of those teams I will be rooting for the SEC's string to come to an end. I am tired of it. I think it is blown out of proportion, but I also don't see how it could not be blown out of proportion. It is an impressive string. In reality it is Alabama, LSU and Florida being dominant with one miracle Cam Newton season, but to keep getting the crystal ball does speak well of the conference (although there is at least a weak argument that it is easier to get through the SEC unscathed than it should be if the whole conference was that good).

I actually grew up liking Alabama. I loved the red tear away jerseys, the wishbone, and the Bear. When Alabama beat Miami in 1992 I was ecstatic, but these last four or five years have been hard to take. Coach Saban is hard to take. Alabama fans are hard to take. Enough is enough. So this year I will be rooting for someone else in the SEC to beat 'Bama and for someone else in the SEC to play in the title game. Just no more 'Bama. Not for a couple of years. Please.

Eielson
5/14/2013, 06:11 PM
If the SEC wins another one they're just gonna make the playoffs 4 SEC teams.

Mac94
5/14/2013, 10:48 PM
I think the playoffs should be 4 conference champs ... won;t be but should. But, it'll be interesting for a team like Bama. The Tide can be beat, but give Saban 30+ days to prep and they are so tough. But with a two game playoff run Saban won't have the prep time he's had in the past ... and for the title game he'll have a week or two tops. Be interesting to see how he adapts.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/15/2013, 12:25 AM
I'd root for the Red Army against the johnny reb conference these days.as long as I can include domer with the SEC SEC SEC. Of course, I would like to include orange aggy and the cows, too.

sooneron
5/15/2013, 12:43 PM
I'd root for South Car over say, ND, texass, miami...

5/15/2013, 01:30 PM
I'd root for South Car over say, ND, texass, miami...Yep, I could take more SEC flack over a NC by those from the evil list. domer, cows, orange aggy, the U, and usuc.

FaninAma
5/15/2013, 02:51 PM
Any non-SEC school not named USC or Texas.

badger
5/15/2013, 03:02 PM
Any non-SEC school not named USC or Texas.
Ah ah ah! that's the not the choice here! we have 34 (so far) USC and Texas > SEC votes!

I know it's a tough choice, but it's one we're all gonna face next January, so why not get the pain over with half a year in advance?

I really think that the chances of a hated non-SEC school making the title game this year are pretty low, so I'm fine with non-SEC this year. Go non-SEC. Can we chant "NOT S-E-C!" repeatedly? Or perhaps wait for someone else to start an "SEC" chant and add "SUCKS!" to the end?

5/15/2013, 03:06 PM
"KMA SEC KMA SEC KMA SEC"

Eielson
5/15/2013, 07:55 PM
I think the playoffs should be 4 conference champs ... won;t be but should.

Ideally there would be a Pac-12, Big 12, Big 10, and SEC team in there every year, but you know there's gonna be at least 2 SEC teams every year unless they make a rule. I think Urban may shift the balance in an unfortunate direction against us.

5/15/2013, 08:35 PM
Ideally there would be a Pac-12, Big 12, Big 10, and SEC team in there every year, but you know there's gonna be at least 2 SEC teams every year unless they make a rule. I think Urban may shift the balance in an unfortunate direction against us.We ARE placed at a disadvantage, in that since the state of OK has a fairly small number of people, we HAVE TO pull in some of our players from out of state, in order to have enough quality talent to compete.

badger
5/16/2013, 08:12 AM
We ARE placed at a disadvantage, in that since the state of OK has a fairly small number of people, we HAVE TO pull in some of our players from out of state, in order to have enough quality talent to compete.

It's only fair to the players too that they have a chance at playing in a major conference even if their state schools don't have enough major conference teams to offer scholarships to them all.

The Internet Ags especially for years b1tched and moaned when we were beating them with teams filled with Texas high school players, but hell, they have the same scholarship limits that we do*

*until they went sec, of course

sooneron
5/16/2013, 08:50 AM
Ah ah ah! that's the not the choice here! we have 34 (so far) USC and Texas > SEC votes!

I really think that the chances of a hated non-SEC school making the title game this year are pretty low, so I'm fine with non-SEC this year. Go non-SEC. Can we chant "NOT S-E-C!" repeatedly? Or perhaps wait for someone else to start an "SEC" chant and add "SUCKS!" to the end?
I'm fairly certain that neither nd, texass or usuc are playing for the title this year, so I'll take my chances with non-sec.

Mac94
5/16/2013, 09:25 AM
Ideally there would be a Pac-12, Big 12, Big 10, and SEC team in there every year, but you know there's gonna be at least 2 SEC teams every year unless they make a rule. I think Urban may shift the balance in an unfortunate direction against us.

The top 4 highest ranked conference champs ... regardless of conference. If Boise St wins their conference and is in the top 4 ... congrats ... they're in. With conference champs it would hake conference play kind of like a season long tournament. Or for those with divisions then divisional play would be the tournament and the conference title game a defacto playoff game.

Eielson
5/16/2013, 03:48 PM
The top 4 highest ranked conference champs ... regardless of conference. If Boise St wins their conference and is in the top 4 ... congrats ... they're in. With conference champs it would hake conference play kind of like a season long tournament. Or for those with divisions then divisional play would be the tournament and the conference title game a defacto playoff game.

Is that what you want, or is that how it is? I'd just heard that there was a committee that picked the four teams.

Mac94
5/16/2013, 03:58 PM
that's what I think it should be ... that is not how it is. There will be a selection committee that will pick the four teams regardless of conference with no limits on number of teams from a conference.