PDA

View Full Version : Dom Whaley...

Ruf/Nek7
5/11/2013, 08:59 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4708602/cowboys-add-four-tryout-players

From walk on nobody to potential NFL player. With the state of the Cowboys running back corp, Whaley has the chance to crack the roster or atleast fond himself on their futures roster. Either way, yet another Sooner in the NFL and this time on Z MY NFL team, the Cowboys.

olevetonahill
5/11/2013, 09:04 AM
Cant get the Link to open
Im glad for Dom, Even tho I DGAS about the cowboys

Ruf/Nek7
5/11/2013, 09:13 AM
Cant get the Link to open
Im glad for Dom, Even tho I DGAS about the cowboys

Fixed it. They also sogned salubi from baylor. It appears as though Jerrah Jones loves him some Big 12-2-1+1-1+1 RBs

olevetonahill
5/11/2013, 09:17 AM
I wish him the Best

SoonerInFortSmith
5/11/2013, 02:40 PM
I would love to see 2 sooners in the backfield in Dallas

Breadburner
5/11/2013, 02:41 PM
**** Texas......!!!!!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/11/2013, 04:32 PM
I wonder if he has gotten any more comfortable on that leg? He ran this year like he thought it would break if he made the slightest cut.

King Crimson
5/11/2013, 06:39 PM
nothing but best for the kid. but never a Cowboy fan.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/11/2013, 07:36 PM
As much as I'll concede that Clay improved last year, I was still surprised that OU didn't play Dom more last yr. What little he was on the field during the early part of the season, I thought he looked good, and definitely wanted to see him play more.

rock on sooner
5/12/2013, 09:51 AM
I would love to see 2 sooners in the backfield in Dallas

I told this before but in college I was an on air DJ at the local radio
station and we carried local college games on Friday night, Sooner
football on Saturdays and Dallas Cowboys on Sunday...football
fanatic's heavenly job so, me too, two Sooners in Cowboy backfield
would be OUTSTANDING!

badger
5/12/2013, 10:51 AM
If Dom didn't have a fumbling problem early in the season, he would have likely gotten more carries, more starts, etc.

Alas, he came out of the gate fumbling, so no chance of having similar highlights to his walk-on year :(

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/12/2013, 11:58 AM
If Dom didn't have a fumbling problem early in the season, he would have likely gotten more carries, more starts, etc.

Alas, he came out of the gate fumbling, so no chance of having similar highlights to his walk-on year :(

He had 1 fumble in the first 5 games. The problem wasn't so much his fumbling as the coaches going with this stat:

Williams, Damie 10-156; Whaley,Dom 10-63

Whaley averaged 6.2 against everyone this year (including KState). Williams fluctuated between <1 and >10 per carry. They stuck with Williams because of the Texas game instead of rotating back to Whaley to compliment Clay when Williams started to stall out mid-season.

badger
5/12/2013, 01:09 PM
He had 1 fumble in the first 5 games.

Ah, my bad. I remember reading stuff like this (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/OU_football_notebook_Whaley_conscious_of_fumbles/20120907_92_b5_bbunge361136) and then my memory gets fuzzy.

The best players always get PT at OU. Sadly, Dom had a D.D. Williams behind him

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/12/2013, 02:01 PM
Ah, my bad. I remember reading stuff like this (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/OU_football_notebook_Whaley_conscious_of_fumbles/20120907_92_b5_bbunge361136) and then my memory gets fuzzy.

The best players always get PT at OU. Sadly, Dom had a D.D. Williams behind him

I don't think it had anything to do with "best" the problem was contrasting styles. Whaley was a consistent runner who would get you a nice average. Williams was someone who could go for 10 yards or 150 yards.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2012&org=522&player=8

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2012&org=522&player=2W

Personally, I think that Whaley was put in the dog house mid season. There just isn't any other explanation for why he didn't even get a carry on Senior night.

5/12/2013, 02:19 PM
I don't think it had anything to do with "best" the problem was contrasting styles. Whaley was a consistent runner who would get you a nice average. Williams was someone who could go for 10 yards or 150 yards.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2012&org=522&player=8

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2012&org=522&player=2W

Personally, I think that Whaley was put in the dog house mid season. There just isn't any other explanation for why he didn't even get a carry on Senior night.His absence from playing time was very curious to me, as was why few people seemed to wonder why he wasn't played more, especially after Williams was injured, and never returned to pre-injury form last yr. Instead, Williams was played a lot in the latter part of the season, even though he obviously was not his old self..

goingoneight
5/12/2013, 10:24 PM
I think Williams, Clay and Millard showed why they got the bulk of the carries in last year's poor attempt at a run game. Whaley looked okay through the first five games; but the other three were out-performing him. Never helps a healing RB that we do most of our work through the air, too.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/13/2013, 11:44 AM
I think Williams, Clay and Millard showed why they got the bulk of the carries in last year's poor attempt at a run game. Whaley looked okay through the first five games; but the other three were out-performing him. Never helps a healing RB that we do most of our work through the air, too.

We established that point already. The problem is that Williams was pretty pedestrian AFTER those first 5 games. He only got over 6/carry once (TCU) and had four games where he went sub 3/carry (13 for 32, 3 for 7, 7 for 18, 16 for 45). Brennan Clay was fairly dominant in the second half but even he had a sub 3 game (WVU).

The problem is that Whaley had 1 game in his career where he went for less than 3.5 per game - Iowa State this year - 1 carry 2 yards. I have personally never been a fan of feast or famine running backs in college football. I want a guy who runs for a high avg/carry consistently.

thecrimsoncrusader
5/13/2013, 12:17 PM
Williams was semi-kaput (lost his explosiveness) for most of the second half of the season after his injury early in the ND game thanks to the damn ND curse, which was further reinforced that the curse does exist by the NCAA record 180 yard loss on Gabe Ikard's snap later in the game since him and Landry had a miscommunication problem. I really don't like ND. They're evil.

5/13/2013, 01:08 PM
Williams was semi-kaput (lost his explosiveness) for most of the second half of the season after his injury early in the ND game thanks to the damn ND curse, which was further reinforced that the curse does exist by the NCAA record 180 yard loss on Gabe Ikard's snap later in the game since him and Landry had a miscommunication problem. I really don't like ND. They're evil.the little leperconns really are a cyst on society. Their malignancy is a strong possibility.

5/13/2013, 01:50 PM
The problem is that Whaley had 1 game in his career where he went for less than 3.5 per game - Iowa State this year - 1 carry 2 yards. I have personally never been a fan of feast or famine running backs in college football. I want a guy who runs for a high avg/carry consistently.Seemed to me Whaley should have been played A LOT more last year. I have to believe something was going on behind the scenes that kept Whaley off the field.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/13/2013, 02:47 PM
He got a little pub in his first day, we'll see how it goes

David – Dominique Whaley was only at minicamp for a day, but he showed up looking the part of an NFL running back. He looked good in no-contact drills, and he showed some sharp hands

swardboy
5/13/2013, 06:31 PM
So you're saying there's a chance?