PDA

View Full Version : Wes Lunt transferring...

Ruf/Nek7
5/9/2013, 05:54 PM
http:// http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/OSU_quarterback_Wes_Lunt_to_transfer/20130509_93_osuqu_61911

I guess okie lite's QB situation got a little easier.

picasso
5/9/2013, 05:59 PM
Bad move.

Ruf/Nek7
5/9/2013, 06:12 PM
Bad move.

I guess I agree with that. The difference between his decision and Drew Allens is that Allen had younger guys beating him at the QB position.

8timechamps
5/9/2013, 07:15 PM
The kid wants to play. At best, he'll be in a rotation in Stoolwater. It's only a bad move if you're a Poke fan.

OU could be in a similar position in the next 2 or 3 years, as the quality of QB coming in is crazy.

Ruf/Nek7
5/9/2013, 07:51 PM
The kid wants to play. At best, he'll be in a rotation in Stoolwater. It's only a bad move if you're a Poke fan.

OU could be in a similar position in the next 2 or 3 years, as the quality of QB coming in is crazy.

Especially if Cody Thomas bypasses the MLB.

picasso
5/9/2013, 07:58 PM

Sincerely, Tommy Grady

Jacie
5/9/2013, 08:09 PM
He was their starter at the beginning of last year, five games I think. Makes me wonder if he really was able to come back from injury that knocked him out last year.

budbarrybob
5/9/2013, 08:28 PM
Yeah he was the second coming of Dan Marino. "had all the skills, speed arm strength" They did seem to throw him under the bus if he did come back to full health as they seemed to say. I feel bad for the kid but they do seem set on Chelf. Hope its not a situation where they'll regret it. Kansas needs a good QB, hmmmm.

freshchris05
5/9/2013, 09:18 PM
Medical Redshirt?

C&CDean
5/9/2013, 09:24 PM
Who? Mike Hunt?

CowboyMRW
5/9/2013, 09:27 PM
This really sucks. For Gundy being a former QB, he is terrible at picking QBs to start. He really mismanaged this whole thing. Hopefully we pick up Kyle Allen in this upcoming class as that would lessen the blow significantly.

prrriiide
5/10/2013, 05:43 AM
Hopefully we pick up Kyle Allen in this upcoming class as that would lessen the blow significantly.

Well, you know, nothing says "come to Pokeyville" to a prospective QB recruit like shtupping another QB already on the roster.

cleller
5/10/2013, 07:24 AM
Now, its the Walsh kid the Pat Jones is really pumping on the radio, right?

badger
5/10/2013, 08:17 AM
Cliff's Notes version for those of you not stuck in Tulsa where there's endless Poke news:

-This was OKLAST's starting quarterback at the start of the 2012-13 season.
- He was a true freshman last season, graduating from HS early so that he could compete for the starting job immediately after Old Man Weeden left for the Neffel.
- Dislocated knee/high ankle sprain vs Louisiana.
- Concussion versus KSU
- The coach who recruited him is now head coach at Southern Miss.

In a nutshell, he was their 4-star recruit starting quarterback until the injury bug got to him, then had two starter-worthy QBs behind him to take his place (whatever deal with the devil Lester has going on at LSU, Gundy must have similar connections with all of this luck he's having with backup QBs).

I do not think he'll get a medical redshirt, because even though he only appeared in a few games, that was more due to Choo-Choo Chelf earning the starter job via winning, not because Lunt was injured. However, I don't anticipate him applying for one until after his "senior" year, a la Jason White.

SoonerAtKU
5/10/2013, 09:42 AM
Technically you can't apply for a medical until after your eligibility expires, and I think you have to have missed significant time in two seasons.

8timechamps
5/15/2013, 09:21 PM
Sincerely, Tommy Grady

Yup.

It's not a bad problem to have.

swardboy
5/15/2013, 09:32 PM
I can't open that link. Where the heck is he going?

goingoneight
5/15/2013, 10:50 PM
There goes his Heisman... errr... whatever they claimed he'd win this year.

Ruf/Nek7
5/16/2013, 07:25 AM
I can't open that link. Where the heck is he going?

Here try this one...
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9270716/ex-oklahoma-state-cowboys-qb-wes-lunt-considering-5-schools-transfer-source-says

Sabanball
5/17/2013, 07:58 PM
Looks like Gundy will not grant him a release to play in either the SEC or for Southern Miss. I realize that these decisions are often based on the possible transfer destination being in-conference, on a future schedule or if the head coach believes contact between another staff and the player was made before a release was granted. But I don't see how any of that would have factored in here.

Mazeppa
5/17/2013, 08:10 PM
Looks like Gundy will not grant him a release to play in either the SEC or for Southern Miss. I realize that these decisions are often based on the possible transfer destination being in-conference, on a future schedule or if the head coach believes contact between another staff and the player was made before a release was granted. But I don't see how any of that would have factored in here.

Here's the story:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/wes-lunt-not-allowed-transfer-big-12-sec-221525359.html

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/17/2013, 08:27 PM
good to see someone ragging on lOSUr. They ALWAYS deserve it.

kevpks
5/17/2013, 10:31 PM
Here's the story:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/wes-lunt-not-allowed-transfer-big-12-sec-221525359.html

A predictable petty move by a small-time program. Keeping him from transferring in conference is as far as any program should go to block a transfer.

olevetonahill
5/18/2013, 12:52 AM
**** Gumby! **** OsU,

Ruf/Nek7
5/18/2013, 09:30 AM
Illinois it is. Silly osu seems a little butt hurt by this kids decision.

badger
5/18/2013, 12:50 PM
I would not put it past Gundy to string the kid along through the entire offseason to only reveal that he had no chance of starting. Remember that he did about the same thing to Bobby Reid before "I'm a man! I'm 40!"

There's three quarterbacks who are vying to start. Something's gotta give and rather than wait it out, it's time to move on. Good move by Lunt. The whole "not releasing to certain schools" thing looks bad publicly, though

MichiganSooner
5/18/2013, 01:48 PM
Tulsa World said on Saturday, he could not sign with any SEC, Pac12, or Big12 school as well as Southern Miss which is coached by the former o-coordinator of OSU, as well as Central Michigan who OSU plays sometime in the future. This is 38 teams out of about 120. Crazy. He could go to any of these colleges but would not get an athletic scholarship from them the first year of attendance.
Gumby is worried about CMU? His first worry should be making his team bowl eligible, read that as 6-6, and then hoping Lunt doesn't kick his butt if the Cowboys end up playing a team not on the above list.

MichiganSooner
5/18/2013, 01:53 PM
Didn't it come out at end of their spring practice that Gundy named all 3 QB's as his starter so that Mississippi State would have to prepare for 3 quarterbacks? Throws a little wrinkle into his tricky ways. Poke fans are criticizing Lunt as being injury prone and saying good riddance. They forget that JW went down as well before Chelf came in to start. I can see Gundy with 2 injured quarterbacks next season and pull a T-Boner and start Pickens.

5/18/2013, 01:53 PM
aggie-schmaggie...meh

8timechamps
5/18/2013, 04:52 PM
I would not put it past Gundy to string the kid along through the entire offseason to only reveal that he had no chance of starting. Remember that he did about the same thing to Bobby Reid before "I'm a man! I'm 40!"

There's three quarterbacks who are vying to start. Something's gotta give and rather than wait it out, it's time to move on. Good move by Lunt. The whole "not releasing to certain schools" thing looks bad publicly, though

That's true of just about any coach with more than one quality QB on the roster (including our own). Think about it, do you really think Bob has no clue who the starter will be? There's a 100% chance he already knows who will be starting, but it makes no sense to make an announcement now. There is too much to gain from publicly keeping the competition open, and too much to lose by deciding on a starter in the Spring.

King Crimson
5/18/2013, 05:26 PM
why can't Gundy allow the kid to transfer to So Miss and Monken?....that DOES seem petty
let it go. i played sports against the gundys, cale and mike, and i thought they were *******s back then....i guess cale is one of ours so i gave it up....even though i was a steve collins guy. fo reals.

i do like Mike's offense a lot better than the one we run, even if he is an incurable midwest city Poke asshat.

let the kid play. Chelf looked pretty good against us.

8timechamps
5/19/2013, 08:28 PM
why can't Gundy allow the kid to transfer to So Miss and Monken?....that DOES seem petty
let it go. i played sports against the gundys, cale and mike, and i thought they were *******s back then....i guess cale is one of ours so i gave it up....even though i was a steve collins guy. fo reals.

i do like Mike's offense a lot better than the one we run, even if he is an incurable midwest city Poke asshat.

let the kid play. Chelf looked pretty good against us.

I never played against Mike, but did play against Cale, and I can agree 100%. I've never forgotten how much of a **** he was. Our MLB took a big shot on him close to the sidelines my senior year, and I thought he was going to cry...that pretty much ended his cockiness. The funny part was they ended up on the same team at OU.

I will say he was a hell of a QB in high school.

bluedogok
5/19/2013, 10:24 PM
It is pretty ridiculous, I mean Monken knows the OSU offense better than Lunt does, he doesn't need Lunt's help to game plan for the game they have against each other, he needs the defensive players to try to stop it. I guess Gundy is afraid of USM.....

redkid
5/20/2013, 05:13 AM
Gundy is a punk, always will be, I'm a man I got braces when I was 40, sheesh

Ruf/Nek7
5/20/2013, 06:49 AM
Maybe Lunt is being held hostage because hr took gumby's hair gel and spray tan bottle.

King Crimson
5/20/2013, 07:29 AM
Maybe Lunt is being held hostage because hr took gumby's hair gel and spray tan bottle.

lol. he probably has to drive to edmond to get that gel. stillwater ain't exact cosmopolitan.

olevetonahill
5/20/2013, 07:38 AM
Personally I DGAS if Lunt has to go to the sister of the poor leading the blind. Did he ever consider OU? **** him.

badger
5/20/2013, 08:32 AM
That's true of just about any coach with more than one quality QB on the roster (including our own). Think about it, do you really think Bob has no clue who the starter will be? There's a 100% chance he already knows who will be starting, but it makes no sense to make an announcement now. There is too much to gain from publicly keeping the competition open, and too much to lose by deciding on a starter in the Spring.

It's one thing to string fans, media and the opposition along. It's another to try to con players into giving up their football careers to be a practice player and bench rider with no chance of playing in actual games.

At least OU gave the likes of Drew Allen and Keith Nichol some heads up as to what their chances of starting would be if they stay and the opportunity to transfer for more playing time. Hell, the OU coach that everyone else declared to be satan helped Troy Aikman get to UCLA rather than sit behind a national championship QB

MichiganSooner
5/20/2013, 01:25 PM
My first thought was that Gundy is being an a--. On second thought, maybe Lunt wants to go to Illinois (his home state) or Louisville or Vandy. He knows Monken is out there at Southern Miss but does not want to go there and does not want to lose connections with Monken. So he goes to Gundy. Gundy says that SoMiss is out so Lunt does not have to tell it to his former coach and recruiter and Gundy throws in Central Michigan and the Pac12 so it does not look like a slam on Monken.

rock on sooner
5/20/2013, 01:43 PM
**** Gumby! **** OsU,

Geez, Vet...dont be so shy, how you rilly feel?

5/20/2013, 01:50 PM
Personally I DGAS if Lunt has to go to the sister of the poor leading the blind. Did he ever consider OU? **** him.If you don't get an offer from OU, you should commit to a team that doesn't play OU. Certainly don't sign with another team from the Big 12. Sheesh, it ain't complicated.

Scott D
5/20/2013, 06:47 PM
My first thought was that Gundy is being an a--. On second thought, maybe Lunt wants to go to Illinois (his home state) or Louisville or Vandy. He knows Monken is out there at Southern Miss but does not want to go there and does not want to lose connections with Monken. So he goes to Gundy. Gundy says that SoMiss is out so Lunt does not have to tell it to his former coach and recruiter and Gundy throws in Central Michigan and the Pac12 so it does not look like a slam on Monken.

Apparently the process is that the player gives the school/coach in writing the places they would like to transfer, and the school can refuse to allow contact. I think the Monken thing is more about the fact that Gundy believes that Monken got in Lunt's ear prior to Lunt requesting to transfer. The Pac-12/SEC part is mainly because they are in most cases, the highest potential of bowl opponents. Central Michigan is on the list because they're going to play OSU.

It's going to be interesting to see if Lunt will go ahead and go to Illinois, where he'd be sitting out a year behind a senior QB anyhow. Or, if he and his family will appeal the rejection list given by Mike Gundy which they have the opportunity to do.

Mazeppa
5/20/2013, 07:14 PM
Here's more from Dr. Saturday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/man-45-mike-gundy-rant-directed-gundy-wes-163721029.html

MichiganSooner
5/22/2013, 10:59 AM
Scott D. said, "I think the Monken thing is more about the fact that Gundy believes that Monken got in Lunt's ear prior to Lunt requesting to transfer."

Makes sense.

goingoneight
5/22/2013, 12:02 PM
If Monken tried to recruit an active OSU player to follow him, I agree with the Gundy move. That's a snake move by Monken if so. It's different if he decided to transfer and THEN Monken called him up. From how he tended to mouth off about OU players, this scenario would not be a surprise to me.