PDA

View Full Version : Trashiest Small Town You've Visited

Midtowner
5/9/2013, 04:56 PM
I'm gonna have to go with Broken Bow on that one. Not awful (but still pretty bad) from the main roads, but if you let your GPS send you on an excursion through the neighborhoods, it's the third world over here.

Petro-Sooner
5/9/2013, 05:10 PM
Canyon city Colorado

SoonerorLater
5/9/2013, 05:32 PM
Belle Glade Florida.

okiewaker
5/9/2013, 05:54 PM
El Reno, Ok

rock on sooner
5/9/2013, 08:26 PM
Wilson, OK....

okie52
5/9/2013, 08:31 PM
Wilson, OK....

Hey...chuck might kick your *** over that...

OU_Sooners75
5/9/2013, 08:34 PM
Marion, KS

rock on sooner
5/9/2013, 08:51 PM

Let him try...gotta LONG history with Wilson and still have some
family there!

FaninAma
5/9/2013, 09:38 PM
Mora, NM.

SoonerInFortSmith
5/9/2013, 09:57 PM
Maud and Earlsboro, OK are right up there.

I've heard some horror stories about some small towns in SE Arkansas but haven't seen for myself.

olevetonahill
5/9/2013, 10:26 PM
Prolly this Place I went to in 69. Hell ya best have a loaded weapon with you at ALL times Maybe even a few Grenades

SCOUT
5/10/2013, 12:33 AM
Prolly this Place I went to in 69. Hell ya best have a loaded weapon with you at ALL times Maybe even a few Grenades

Winner!

Chuck Bao
5/10/2013, 03:27 AM

Let him try...gotta LONG history with Wilson and still have some
family there!

Hey! The westside of Ardmore has some of the nicest houses, but they're not nice enough for me to want to kick someone's *** about it.

I'm not even sure that the cookie cutter home thing is all that it's cracked up to be. I think that I'd rather live in Wilson if it means a few more acres.

Oakland, just outside of Madill, just passed a city ordinance that no new trailers could be moved in for rental purposes. The funny thing is that it is all pretty rural and there's plenty of land for trailers to be moved in just a mile or two down the road. The eyesores, or what some perceive to be eyesores, are not going to go away. Or, are we talking about the class of people? Because, they aren't going away either.

SicEmBaylor
5/10/2013, 04:32 AM
Braggs and Antlers.

Pretty much every town between McAlester and Calera including Calera.

SicEmBaylor
5/10/2013, 04:34 AM
Outside of Oklahoma there are too many to list. I could go on all night.

Mart, Tx comes to mind.

Breadburner
5/10/2013, 05:49 AM
OKC....

rock on sooner
5/10/2013, 07:00 AM

Do it have outdoor toilets that any sane person wouldn't
use, without a flame thrower clearing the way?

olevetonahill
5/10/2013, 07:23 AM
Do it have outdoor toilets that any sane person wouldn't
use, without a flame thrower clearing the way?

Heh

KantoSooner
5/10/2013, 08:39 AM
Watts, OK would earn some votes.

olevetonahill
5/10/2013, 08:41 AM
Watts, OK would earn some votes.

Heh, I got arrested there once. Ill tell ya the story someday. Needless to say it involved their "Speedtrap" And Me being hard headed :biggrin:

KantoSooner
5/10/2013, 08:46 AM
The speedtrap is all that's there. For those who haven't had the pleasure, Watts maintains a stretch of highway that, quite literally has seven speed zones in the course of 1 mile. And they don't have any rational to them: 65 to 35 to 55 to 25 to 65 to 35 and so forth. When you're ticketed, you're invited to challenge in their court. But traffic matters are only heard between 6:30 and 7 a.m. on Thursdays or some such. The cops there are pricks on top of it all. In fact, everyone who lives there is a prick.

olevetonahill
5/10/2013, 08:52 AM
The speedtrap is all that's there. For those who haven't had the pleasure, Watts maintains a stretch of highway that, quite literally has seven speed zones in the course of 1 mile. And they don't have any rational to them: 65 to 35 to 55 to 25 to 65 to 35 and so forth. When you're ticketed, you're invited to challenge in their court. But traffic matters are only heard between 6:30 and 7 a.m. on Thursdays or some such. The cops there are pricks on top of it all. In fact, everyone who lives there is a prick.

Yup. The dude was a total Prick from the start. I showed him I could be just as much of one. Guess he thot he was intimidating me by arresting me I just LOL. My last ex was with me she fowllowed us back to The jail in Stillwell , The Prick asking me all the time If I could make bail. They dont want ya to spend the Night on their Dime they wanta collect the fine and get after another.
I kept that mother ****er off the streets for well over 2 hours. Finally wrote em a check and left.:biggrin:

badger
5/10/2013, 08:54 AM
It wasn't by any stretch of the imagination trash, but when I visited Porter for its annual peach festival, I was kind of surprised that a lot of the homes were either trailer-esque, or made of poor materials.

It saddened me a bit, knowing that this was probably one of the reasons tornado damage is usually quite devastating for smaller Okla towns :(

ousoonerfan
5/10/2013, 09:00 AM
Braggs and Antlers.

Several years ago, my wife and I went camping at Greenleaf near Braggs on Fourth of July weekend. Everyone at the campsite said go into town for a fireworks show on the Fourth because it is really good. We went and thought we had entered a military zone. Everyone in town shows up and shoots their own fireworks! We got buzzed several times by bottle rockets and lots of other stuff! One of the funniest and scariest nights I've had! Funny thing is we are heading back to Greenleaf today.

Lott's Bandana
5/10/2013, 10:03 AM
Maud and Earlsboro, OK are right up there.

I've heard some horror stories about some small towns in SE Arkansas but haven't seen for myself.

I second Earlsboro. It is literally about a dozen vacant buildings up against a juke in the highway.

badger
5/10/2013, 10:31 AM

Oklahoma has a law about this I think, where small towns can't get more than 50 percent of their revenue from state highway speeding tickets. There were some pretty bad offenders to this before the law, where tiny towns would basically have their entire budgets from speeding tickets. There were some that were so bad that people were hanging up signs warning drivers, and towns that only had police to give speeding tickets, with no court to contest the tickets (illegal!).

mojorisen2014
5/10/2013, 11:03 AM
El Reno, Ok you dont get out much do ya?

SicEmBaylor
5/10/2013, 12:15 PM
Several years ago, my wife and I went camping at Greenleaf near Braggs on Fourth of July weekend. Everyone at the campsite said go into town for a fireworks show on the Fourth because it is really good. We went and thought we had entered a military zone. Everyone in town shows up and shoots their own fireworks! We got buzzed several times by bottle rockets and lots of other stuff! One of the funniest and scariest nights I've had! Funny thing is we are heading back to Greenleaf today.

Yeah, I live not far from Braggs. They are the "Hills Have Eyes" folk who come down into town about twice a year to stock up on supplies. :D

What Braggs has going for it over Antlers is that, unlike Antlers, Braggs is at least fairly close to civilization.....not that you could tell. Anyway, I like Greenleaf.