PDA

View Full Version : Fast food: How often?

badger
5/9/2013, 02:14 PM
A few stories are making the wire about McDonald's inexplicable fall in sales and such recently,despite its healthy *wink* revenue and profits throughout the recession.

Here's something from NewsOK on McD's revising their menu. Again. (http://newsok.com/mcdonalds-cuts-angus-burgers-from-menu/article/feed/539236)

Soooo, poll question for the South Oval: Have your fast food habits changed? If you could in the comments, explain why they have or haven't changed.

Three days of anonymous voting. Vote for ONE, sillies

badger
5/9/2013, 02:18 PM
Personally, having a daughter changed my mindset on what I eat. It wasn't just from going through the whole gain-a-lot-of-weight-from-pregnancy, but also realizing that baby baj is going to be picking up good and bad habits from mommy and daddy more than anyone else.

I now eat fast food far less often than I once did, and when I do, I really watch calorie content. McD's makes it much easier to hate their food by having all of the excessive calories up front to stare down your conscience. Let's see, for $5 I can order 5 McChickens... NO! BAD BADGER! That's about 3,000 calories!

SoonerStormchaser
5/9/2013, 02:26 PM
Less often...cause the fast food options over here aren't that great...and there isn't an In-N-Out burger within 5000 miles!

olevetonahill
5/9/2013, 02:58 PM
Subway, maybe 5 times a year. the rest Maybe once in 5 years or more

Cant remember the last time i et a McPuke. or anyone else's junk
I did try that Dorito Taco once last year some time so thats about it.

rock on sooner
5/9/2013, 03:01 PM
I seldom eat fast food...had Chipolte's not too long ago, though..
not too bad...

cleller
5/9/2013, 03:09 PM
The "casual dining" trend has made fast food seem even more desperate the last few years.

FirstandGoal
5/9/2013, 05:59 PM
For the most part, fast food is so bad for you that the thought of it turns me off.

Luckily for me, there is a Panera right across from where I work so on the mornings I'm out of breakfast groceries at the house, I'll grab a coffee and a quick breakfast power sandwich. I love knowing that the breakfast sandwich I order at panera has right around 300 calories in it.

I would much rather just make a ham and cheese sandwich and have a bowl of soup at the house if I'm looking for "fast" food and either have no inclination to cook or nothing in the house. Not only is it cheaper, but it is much healthier for me. Of course, there's always the old bowl of cereal for dinner if you're feeling especially lazy and tired and find yourself alone in the house with no desire to make dinner for one again.

deweydw
5/10/2013, 09:54 AM
When I do eat fast food. It's either Chick-fil-A or Taco Bell. I stay away from all those fast food burger places. I got a bad burger at Burger King once. And now I find those places revolting. I will have a Red Robin or Fudrukkers though.

Lott's Bandana
5/10/2013, 10:23 AM
Posters are making the point that there is a new option for consumers that splits the difference between going to McD's or BK or KFC or going to Charleston's/Johnny Carino's/local sit-down noshery.

Chipotle, 5 Guys, Qdoba, Mazzio's, Red Robin, etc. have created a "quick sit" choice that, accurate or not, portrays a wider and healthier choice over grabbing a meal in a bag. I've bought into it and actually have some favorites that I frequent regularly on my sales calls around the state, or when I travel.

SoonerAtKU
5/10/2013, 10:24 AM
I'm trying to be better about it. Plus, I've finally got the wife convinced that I can buy larger cuts of meat and break them down into the boneless pork chops and chicken breasts that she enjoys. We're saving money for when we move and buying the $.99/lb split chicken breasts sure beats the hell out of $5.59/lb boneless, skinless breasts and destroys the value of fast food.

That said, it's tough when work's been hard and I'm getting home late. So easy to pull in and order something quick even if I know I shouldn't.

SoonerAtKU
5/10/2013, 10:26 AM
Posters are making the point that there is a new option for consumers that splits the difference between going to McD's or BK or KFC or going to Charleston's/Johnny Carino's/local sit-down noshery.

Chipotle, 5 Guys, Qdoba, Mazzio's, Red Robin, etc. have created a "quick sit" choice that, accurate or not, portrays a wider and healthier choice over grabbing a meal in a bag. I've bought into it and actually have some favorites that I frequent regularly on my sales calls around the state, or when I travel.

Agreed 100%. I can go to the Panera right down the street and have a bowl of soup or a salad or a lighter half-sandwich that is infinitely better for me. Also, to add to the fast food part, I've all but stopped eating fries at those places. It breaks my heart, but if I don't stop, it's going to literally break my heart.

starclassic tama
5/10/2013, 11:04 AM
i used to eat it all the time. now i only eat it maybe once a week, and i always get a grilled chicken salad. it's one of those things that if you eat it all the time it tastes great, but if you take time off of it and eat real food, when you go back to it you cannot stand it.

goingoneight
5/10/2013, 06:56 PM
I don't always eat fast food. But when I do, I prefer to be hammered.

Turd_Ferguson
5/10/2013, 07:31 PM
I'm trying to be better about it. Plus, I've finally got the wife convinced that I can buy larger cuts of meat and break them down into the boneless pork chops and chicken breasts that she enjoys. We're saving money for when we move and buying the $.99/lb split chicken breasts sure beats the hell out of $5.59/lb boneless, skinless breasts and destroys the value of fast food.

That said, it's tough when work's been hard and I'm getting home late. So easy to pull in and order something quick even if I know I shouldn't.

Funny, I would have bet serious coin that you had a verginia...

MsProudSooner
5/10/2013, 07:47 PM
I would say that the most fast food that i ate was when my kids were in junior high and high school and we had evening activities 3 to 4 times a week. When you get off work at 5:00 and have a 40 minutes commute, it makes it hard to eat something other than fast food before you have your kids at the gym at 6:00. My consumption of fast food has steadily declined since my kids got out of high school.

Another question is, how do you define fast food? Is Jason's Deli fast food? Is Panera Bread fast food?

MickyD's, Mooya, In 'n Out, Whataburger, Burger Street, KFC, Church's Chicken, Sonic are definitely fast food.