PDA

View Full Version : Juan would like this thinking!!!!

okie52
5/9/2013, 02:14 PM
NYC May Give Non-Citizens Right to Vote
Thursday, 09 May 2013 01:45 PM

Hundreds of thousands of New York City immigrants could get the right to vote in local elections under a proposal before lawmakers.

A City Council hearing is scheduled for Thursday on a plan to allow people who are in the country legally, but aren't citizens, to vote. Advocates estimate that could be more than 800,000 people.

Many U.S. states once let noncitizens vote, though policies changed by the 1930s. Some Maryland cities now allow it, and the idea has been floated in New York's City Council for years.

Supporters say immigrants who pay taxes deserve to decide who spends them. Opponents say voting should be reserved for citizens.

New York state election law prohibits immigrants from voting, but supporters say the city has the right to set its own policies for local elections.

"When all contributing members of our society can participate, democracy is better served and everyone benefits," said the bill's sponsor, Councilman Daniel Dromm.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg is opposed to the proposal. He "believes voting is the most important right we are granted as citizens, and you should have to go through the process of becoming a citizen and declaring allegiance to this country before being given that right," Bloomberg spokeswoman Evelyn Erskine said in a statement, also noting that the proposal contravenes state law.

Dromm says the proposal has enough support to override a veto, should it get to that point.

Council Speaker Christine Quinn, who exercises considerable control over what measures come to a vote, hasn't taken a position on the proposal. She said Wednesday she was looking forward to finding out more about it at the hearing.

© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/new...#ixzz2Sp4bjhp8

No 20 oz soft drinks, hide the tobacco and let Akim from Yemen vote on city matters. They're giving California a run for its money.

Curly Bill
5/9/2013, 02:35 PM
Finally, Bloomberg is the on the right side of an issue though...

...At least there's that.

okie52
5/9/2013, 02:36 PM
Finally, Bloomberg is the on the right side of an issue though...

...At least there's that.

Yeah, a little surprising since he is a big immigration supporter.

KantoSooner
5/9/2013, 02:48 PM
This is an odd one. I am not in favor; at least not right now. But I saw such a system work quite well at the local level. It's not as crazy as you might think.
It definitely builds community 'buy-in' on local issues and that tends to support law and order.

okie52
5/9/2013, 03:27 PM
Ummm, I really can't be convinced that legal residents are as fully vested in seeing a community do well as citizens...nor do they even necessarily understand what it is to be an American and those "values" you were speaking of yesterday.

Hell, are they going to print all ballot measures in 100 languages just to make sure all of the "residents" can understand it?

KantoSooner
5/9/2013, 03:42 PM
I said I was opposed. I also said I'd seen it work and it wasn't as crazy as it sounded. And yes, one problem is printing the ballot measures in multiple languages.

I realize you live in Edmond, but do you know any foreign legal residents? Most are pretty much the same as folks here and most of the concerns are the same: increased police protection, street lights, a new park, etc. The guys who are here legally for only six months are going to be in the titty bars, not the polling booths.

okie52
5/9/2013, 04:02 PM
Oh, Edmond has plenty of legal residents living here just because of UCO.

I've known some legal residents but they weren't any big deal. A few from England, S Africa, Australia, Nigeria, Columbia, Argentina, etc...

Some became citizens but most didn't and headed back home to their families.

If they want to go through the trouble of citizenship and our civics/history, laws etc... then I'd be a lot more comfortable with them voting than people that just stayed here a few years before the went home.

KantoSooner
5/9/2013, 05:02 PM
Again, I'm not in favor of it, but I would guess that anyone I'd listen to at a PTA meeting would be as decent a local election voter as the 'People of Walmart' I see down at the courthouse on voting day. So I'm voting we not get wrapped aroound the axle on this one.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/9/2013, 06:04 PM
I've read this was not uncommon in the 19th century - for immigrants who hadn't officially become citizens to vote in elections....that is was actually legal for them to vote in some jurisdictions.

But Okie, I've never taken the political angle on the immigration reform issue. I'm a registered Democrat who didn't vote for Obama in either election. I voted for McCain in 08 and Libertarian Gary Johnson in 12. And my Mexican-born wife is a Ronald Reagan Republican. If there is any criticism of Mexican immigrants it is that they don't naturalize and vote in high percentages.

If they all become pubs, more power to the pub party.

My argument has always been about free markets, including the free market of labor. If there were a true world-wide free movement of labor the worldwide economic output would double.

yermom
5/9/2013, 07:15 PM
it's not about being an American, it's about being a New Yorker. i'm not sure i really care one way or the other on this

SCOUT
5/10/2013, 12:44 AM
I've read this was not uncommon in the 19th century - for immigrants who hadn't officially become citizens to vote in elections....that is was actually legal for them to vote in some jurisdictions.

But Okie, I've never taken the political angle on the immigration reform issue. I'm a registered Democrat who didn't vote for Obama in either election. I voted for McCain in 08 and Libertarian Gary Johnson in 12. And my Mexican-born wife is a Ronald Reagan Republican. If there is any criticism of Mexican immigrants it is that they don't naturalize and vote in high percentages.

If they all become pubs, more power to the pub party.

My argument has always been about free markets, including the free market of labor. If there were a true world-wide free movement of labor the worldwide economic output would double.
So you are in favor of repealing the Immigration and Nationality act of 1965? If you are in favor of free markets, nationality shouldn't have a quota, right?

SanJoaquinSooner
5/10/2013, 10:47 PM
So you are in favor of repealing the Immigration and Nationality act of 1965? If you are in favor of free markets, nationality shouldn't have a quota, right?

Many visas are non-immigrant visas, such as H1B, H2A, and H2B.

SCOUT
5/11/2013, 12:37 AM
Many visas are non-immigrant visas, such as H1B, H2A, and H2B.

True, there are T1's, E1's etc. However that law restricts the number of visas based on country of origin. I am assuming that you are opposed to immigration laws that restrict immigration from Europe. If you are, then you would be opposed to that law. My point is that if you are for true immigration reform, you wouldn't be opposed to more Europeans, rather than just focusing on a specific country.

Are you in favor of true freedom of immigration or just a specific group.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/11/2013, 08:26 AM
True, there are T1's, E1's etc. However that law restricts the number of visas based on country of origin. I am assuming that you are opposed to immigration laws that restrict immigration from Europe. If you are, then you would be opposed to that law. My point is that if you are for true immigration reform, you wouldn't be opposed to more Europeans, rather than just focusing on a specific country.

Are you in favor of true freedom of immigration or just a specific group.

You are correct, I don't oppose more worker visas for Europeans. The specific group I favor are those who employers want to hire. I also don't have any problem with immigrant Europeans either.

It is my understanding that the drafts of the immigrant reform legislation will change aspects of the 1965 law.

olevetonahill
5/11/2013, 08:34 AM
juan just wants the rest of his extended family to be able to go to work with the rest of his "Cousins"
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRN8zFjgOPzbGuEDcalUAe9OFjGARIzE Pwf2Qyw_Qk5qcgdrDsvTw

SanJoaquinSooner
5/11/2013, 08:44 AM
You're too funny vet.

olevetonahill
5/11/2013, 08:47 AM
You're too funny vet.

Thank you, I try real hard sometimes .

okie52
5/11/2013, 09:11 AM
juan just wants the rest of his extended family to be able to go to work with the rest of his "Cousins"
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRN8zFjgOPzbGuEDcalUAe9OFjGARIzE Pwf2Qyw_Qk5qcgdrDsvTw

juan's migrant worker class in action.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/11/2013, 09:15 AM
Later guys. Got to go to a professional development session for the migrant education summer academy teachers.

okie52
5/11/2013, 09:25 AM

Heh...

okie52
5/11/2013, 09:28 AM
Later guys. Got to go to a professional development session for the migrant education summer academy teachers.

Adios

olevetonahill
5/11/2013, 09:29 AM

:cupcake: