PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops Credits SEC Ascension to "Propaganda"......

Sabanball
5/7/2013, 07:13 PM
Hmm.......

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/05/07/bob-stoops-thinks-sec-ascension-narrative-is-propaganda/

OU_Sooners75
5/7/2013, 07:50 PM
Well, where is he far off?

Outside of the top 3 or 4 teams in the SEC, the conference as a whole is no better than any other conference.

ESPN has been pimping SEC ever since they decided to give them a ton of money.

hvhurricane
5/7/2013, 08:26 PM
Yes, it must be propaganda that keeps kicking his *** every time they line up against an SEC team.

OU_Sooners75
5/7/2013, 08:45 PM
Yes, it must be propaganda that keeps kicking his *** every time they line up against an SEC team.

This has got to be one of the dumbest comments ever!

Ruf/Nek7
5/7/2013, 08:53 PM
This has got to one of the dumbest comments ever!

This one I will agree with 75.

tycat947
5/7/2013, 08:57 PM
This has got to be one of the dumbest comments ever!

Agreed, but not surprised by the comment!

soonerhubs
5/7/2013, 09:35 PM
It was bull**** propaganda that cancelled the MNC game 2 years ago and replaced it with a boring *** SEC division rematch. #*&@ the sec and #&*@ Espin!

picasso
5/7/2013, 09:55 PM
Can't wait until he talks about the OP's momma.

Sabanball
5/7/2013, 09:56 PM
It was bull**** propaganda that cancelled the MNC game 2 years ago and replaced it with a boring *** SEC division rematch. #*&@ the sec and #&*@ Espin!

Two words--IOWA STATE.

picasso
5/7/2013, 10:03 PM
Is that the year you guys beat the team that already beat you? Maybe we can claim the '78 title?

Sabanball
5/7/2013, 10:06 PM
Is that the year you guys beat the team that already beat you? Maybe we can claim the '78 title?

Sure you can--You can claim it all you want. The AP voters thought otherwise....take it up with them.

FaninAma
5/7/2013, 10:30 PM
Saban, you really came on this board to start this thread like a whiney little beyotch? Why don't you get back in your mom's basement and go back to jerking off to the autographed picture of your hero.

soonerhubs
5/7/2013, 10:50 PM
Twas still propaganda that got your hero into that game. I wouldn't expect you to admit it, though.

Sabanball
5/7/2013, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=FaninAma;3606427]Saban, you really came on this board to start this thread like a whiney little beyotch? Why don't you get back in your mom's basement and go back to jerking off to the autographed picture of your hero.[/QUOTE

You stay classy, FaninAma!

badger
5/8/2013, 08:23 AM
Two words--IOWA STATE.

I'm sure your fans sent them many roses for both Gene Chizik in Auburn and that OT victory over OSU, but come on man. You've lucked into the national title game the past two seasons by virtue of other worthy teams losing. Call a spade a spade. You didn't earn those title shots by being undefeated, you were given those shots by voters choosing you over teams with equal records.

bmjlr
5/8/2013, 08:46 AM
I'm sure your fans sent them many roses for both Gene Chizik in Auburn and that OT victory over OSU, but come on man. You've lucked into the national title game the past two seasons by virtue of other worthy teams losing. Call a spade a spade. You didn't earn those title shots by being undefeated, you were given those shots by voters choosing you over teams with equal records.

THIS^^^^^ Well said.

Widescreen
5/8/2013, 09:21 AM
I don't understand why Sabanball is allowed to start threads. Since the mods continue to allow him to come here and spew his crap, I guess I'll just add him to my ignore list.

Mac94
5/8/2013, 09:50 AM
Call a spade a spade. You didn't earn those title shots by being undefeated, you were given those shots by voters choosing you over teams with equal records.

They got the title shots because 1) they were very highly ranked at the beginning of the season and 2) other top ranked teams lost weeks after their loss. In 2011 and 2012 Bama was in the top two or so going into Novemeber and in both instances they lost to highly ranked teams. They dropped in the polls, but being highly ranked and losing to highly ranked teams they didn't fall far. Then the teams that were ahead of them lost in the weeks after ... Oklahoma St in 2011 and Kansas St and Oregon in 2012.

Personally ... I think Oklahoma St should have gotten the title shot against LSU in 2011 ... mainly becuase I think conference championships matter and LSU and Bama had already played. Last year Bama deserved the shot, IMHO.

Mac94
5/8/2013, 09:54 AM
As for the OP article and Stoops ... what's he supposed to say? The SEC is the "big dog" right now given the streak and media exposure but Stoops and company need to sell their programs and their leagues. It's all about recruiting and he's not gonna roll over and surrender to the current SEC wave. Stoops has to think about Oklahoma and what's best for OU and praising up the SEC is contray to the mission.

Is the SEC the best conference ... yes. Do I have a problem with what coach Stoops said ... nope.

badger
5/8/2013, 09:57 AM
They got the title shots because 1) they were very highly ranked at the beginning of the season and 2) other top ranked teams lost weeks after their loss.

You're not allowed in on this Resident Aggie Traitor (RAT!), because the consecutive Bammer titles are YOUR team's fault.

You should have embarrassed them at home. You should have clobbered them at home. Simply winning at Bammer apparently isn't good enough. YOU ARE AS BAD AS LSU IN THIS REGARD.

Your Bammer win was as meaningless as LSU's. Meaningless! The same outcome for the end of the season whether you beat them or not -- Bammer title. You both might as well have lost to Bammer like everyone else.

I know that you think being in the SEC legitimizes you, but reality: YOUR BAMMER WIN DID NOT COUNT.

LSU = Texas A&M.

I'm just going to put you two smileys together: :les::rcmad: Awwww, perfect. I think they wanna kiss.

S-E-C! S-E-C!

Mac94
5/8/2013, 10:02 AM
Our Bama win didn't count? It pretty much brought the Heisman trophy to College Station and increased our national visability in spades. Yeah ... in terms of the MNC race it was a moot game ... but what it did for our program is anything but moot.

But if you want to complain about Bama in the title game start in the Big-12 and with Snyder are Briles. That 4 TD smackdown of KSU by Baylor is what put Bama in the title game.

badger
5/8/2013, 10:22 AM
That 4 TD smackdown of KSU by Baylor is what put Bama in the title game.

See THAT would have been a win with mucho gusto that would have registered with the pollsters. Instead, yawwwwwwn. Illegitimate win that doesn't matter. Can't even beat Florida at home with ESPN in town, when even a Big East team can beat Florida.

Even Central Michigan can get drafted before an Aggie into the NFL. Seriously, man. Central Michigan No. 1. Texas A&M No. 2.

But since we're talking about the NFL Draft, you had to know it was inevitable --- Aggie has never, nor will ever, have the first overall pick. Aggie is just too used to being second-best :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

If you're just having fun too, I could probably keep this up all day :)

Bourbon St Sooner
5/8/2013, 10:23 AM
LSU = Texas A&M.

Except lsu's won titles in the last 70 years.

badger
5/8/2013, 10:25 AM
Except lsu's won titles in the last 70 years.

ooo! good point! Plus, I think the last time A&M beat LSU was before I was born.

I'm not sure what Aggie's excuse was last year... got outscored? Yes, definitely. Ran outta time? No, more like had too much time :P

Mac94
5/8/2013, 10:29 AM
Plus, I think the last time A&M beat LSU was before I was born.

The correct answer boys and girls is 1995. Then they went yellow on us again and cancelled the series ... like they did in the 70's. there is a reason one of their colors is yellow.

KantoSooner
5/8/2013, 10:30 AM
Right now there is the SEC and then there are the Big 12, the Big 10 and the Pac10-12, whatever. No one else really matters. From top to bottom, there's not a huge differentiation between them. The bottom teams are not very good and the top teams are pretty strong. The difference is that, at the top of the SEC you have 'Bama and generally another one or two team (Florida, LSU, Auburn) who are, in a given year top five. With the SEC holding 2/5, that only leaves room for one each from the others. They're bound to get more attention and a disproportionate shot at titles.
It's up to the rest of us to pull our socks up. Frankly, Okie State has been pulling their weight in this regard, they've improved mightily. We've lagged for the last 3-4 years. Texas has imploded. Baylor? kudos. TCU, likewise. Ohio State is going to be very, very good very very soon.
But until the others start putting more than one team into top five contention, we're not going to be the lead sled dog. And when you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

Scott D
5/8/2013, 10:34 AM
where is caphorns when you need him.

badger
5/8/2013, 10:35 AM
The correct answer boys and girls is 1995. Then they went yellow on us again and cancelled the series ... like they did in the 70's. there is a reason one of their colors is yellow.

Oh! I was definitely born by 1995 :D

It would be helpful to others if you alerted those unaware of your LSU victories by placing these victorious years on the side of your stadium. You know, since you've been adding so many years to it since joining the SEC :D

Plus, you'd only be adding 20 years :D

And all the years start with "19" so you don't have to worry about clarifying for the 2000s :D

Mac94
5/8/2013, 10:47 AM
And all the years start with "19" so you don't have to worry about clarifying for the 2000s

Hey ... are you dissing our 52-0 win in 1899????????????? ;)

We are 20-28-3 against the corndogs. Not to bad since 32 were played in Baton Rouge and only 13 have been played in College Station.

badger
5/8/2013, 11:14 AM
Hey ... are you dissing our 52-0 win in 1899????????????? ;)

Oh sh!t he's serious...

Did you claim a national championship that year too, or did Bammer make you SECede control of that one to them

Mac94
5/8/2013, 11:20 AM
Did you claim a national championship that year too, or did Bammer make you SECede control of that one to them

I think it's in the SEC bylaws that they get to claim anything awarded to them by the Tuscaloosa media.

picasso
5/8/2013, 11:25 AM
Sure you can--You can claim it all you want. The AP voters thought otherwise....take it up with them.

Great idea! I'll print up a t-shirt and doosh up my sig.

badger
5/8/2013, 12:21 PM
I think it's in the SEC bylaws that they get to claim anything awarded to them by the Tuscaloosa media.

Tooo-shay :P

I think I've had my Aggie-hate fun for the day. But hey, if there's something on the horizon later, you're Texas A&M. There's endless material in that alone :)

agoo758
5/8/2013, 02:17 PM
Let's be honest, 99 percent of the SEC dominance was Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. Why ESPN thinks that correlates with the other ten teams is beyond me.

starclassic tama
5/8/2013, 02:23 PM
i halfway agree with stoops here. the top of the SEC has obviously been the best, just look at the national championship run. however beyond that, i'm skeptical that the conference is the best top to bottom. i'd be more inclined to look at the players drafted to determine this, but i'm probably in the minority with that.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/8/2013, 02:27 PM
Saban, you really came on this board to start this thread like a whiney little beyotch? Why don't you get back in your mom's basement and go back to jerking off to the autographed picture of your hero."

5/8/2013, 02:32 PM
I don't understand why Sabanball is allowed to start threads. Since the mods continue to allow him to come here and spew his crap, I guess I'll just add him to my ignore list.Maybe you're thinking the little busyguy has gotten tired of posting on a board not his own. Guess not. good suggestion.

swardboy
5/8/2013, 02:40 PM
And of course the College Football Live guys are having a circle jerk on how dumb Stoops is! I really don't know why Stoops fell into this trap.

Mac94
5/8/2013, 02:40 PM
Let's be honest, 99 percent of the SEC dominance was Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. Why ESPN thinks that correlates with the other ten teams is beyond me.

The BCS era started in 1998 and during the BCS era an SEC team has won the crystal football 9 times (5 different coaches, 5 different teams). The next highest conference is the Big-12 with 2.

Since 1950 there have been 62 AP national champs ... the SEC has 20 of those, pretty much one in three. The Big-8/SWC/12 has 15 which is really good (including Colorado in 1990 as well as Texas' titles as a member of the SWC and Nebraska's as a member of the Big-8). No on else really comes close.

sussudio
5/8/2013, 03:27 PM
Sabanball=balled up Kleenex!!! Please stay the f%#k off here you're annoying.

picasso
5/8/2013, 04:25 PM
And of course the College Football Live guys are having a circle jerk on how dumb Stoops is! I really don't know why Stoops fell into this trap.

I doubt he cares.

5/8/2013, 04:36 PM
I doubt he cares.If the defense rebounds this year, and especially if we can somehow outscore the domer, Bob will be back on track.

picasso
5/8/2013, 04:45 PM
I meant that I doubt he cares about the yappers on College Foolsball Live.

5/8/2013, 04:52 PM
I meant that I doubt he cares about the yappers on College Foolsball Live.NO DISAGREEMENT. I'm just saying if we perform next season, we be walkin' in sunshine.

8timechamps
5/8/2013, 04:53 PM
If sabanball (or any other SECer) can dispute what Stoops said, I'd love to hear it. From where I stand, he seemed pretty spot on.

5/8/2013, 05:12 PM
If sabanball (or any other SECer) can dispute what Stoops said, I'd love to hear it. From where I stand, he seemed pretty spot on.ef em all, SEC SEC SEC, ESPeNis, Big 12 conference, all them effers!

Bourbon St Sooner
5/8/2013, 07:00 PM
Stoops said it, so it must be true. If you don't like it, then go **** yourself to a picture of nick satan with all your other trailer park buddies, mother ****er.

5/8/2013, 07:07 PM
Stoops said it, so it must be true. If you don't like it, then go **** yourself to a picture of nick satan with all your other trailer park buddies, mother ****er.Uh-huh!

It's NOT rocket science.

mainline13
5/8/2013, 08:33 PM
They got the title shots because 1) they were very highly ranked at the beginning of the season and 2) other top ranked teams lost weeks after their loss. In 2011 and 2012 Bama was in the top two or so going into Novemeber and in both instances they lost to highly ranked teams. They dropped in the polls, but being highly ranked and losing to highly ranked teams they didn't fall far. Then the teams that were ahead of them lost in the weeks after ... Oklahoma St in 2011 and Kansas St and Oregon in 2012.

Personally ... I think Oklahoma St should have gotten the title shot against LSU in 2011 ... mainly becuase I think conference championships matter and LSU and Bama had already played. Last year Bama deserved the shot, IMHO.

And that is precisely where the hype and propaganda come into play. ESPiN talks up the SEC being all that, and many poll voters slide up SEC teams because of it. So the top SEC teams start with top rankings, but the 2nd tier are boosted as well. When one of the latter beats one of the former, it doesn't cause as big a drop - because they were highly ranked, but they were ranked that high in part due to all the hype. It's a near perfect self-fulfilling prophecy.

rock on sooner
5/8/2013, 08:49 PM
Stoops said it, so it must be true. If you don't like it, then go **** yourself to a picture of nick satan with all your other trailer park buddies, mother ****er.

Hmmm, whatchu rilly think?

LSUdeek
5/8/2013, 08:50 PM
I just wanted to post in this thread to give a resounding **** You to Mac94, the faggies, Bill Byrne, and 24-19.

champions77
5/8/2013, 09:46 PM
S

If Osu wins out in 2011, they play for a national championship, but they didn't , they lost to an unranked Iowa state team late in the season. You can't ignore the Iowa state game. To say Osu deserved to play in the nc game is not based on any sound reasoning. The best two teams played for the nc.

trwxxa
5/8/2013, 09:47 PM
Until someone knocks the SEC of the perch, it will continue. Expect 5 or 6 SEC teams in the initial top 10 before week 1. I guess the polls are meaningless next year?

Bob's case would be stronger if the Big XII would win a Cotton Bowl every now and then.

winout
5/8/2013, 11:25 PM
Poor Bob, just no good with the press and only changes qb's due to injuries. Other than that he's a pretty decent HC.

NormanPride
5/9/2013, 06:25 AM
Do people forget that Bob coached in the SEC?

thecrimsoncrusader
5/9/2013, 06:50 AM
Our Bama win didn't count? It pretty much brought the Heisman trophy to College Station and increased our national visability in spades. Yeah ... in terms of the MNC race it was a moot game ... but what it did for our program is anything but moot.

But if you want to complain about Bama in the title game start in the Big-12 and with Snyder are Briles. That 4 TD smackdown of KSU by Baylor is what put Bama in the title game.

Actually, Colin Klein's concussion that led to the result of the Baylor/KSU game is what put Bama in the title game. Baylor never has a chance to put those number of points if Klein didn't have the concussion that led to 3 interceptions and only 39 rushing yards despite Baylor being one of the crappiest defenses that KSU would face that season. Injuries suck.

picasso
5/9/2013, 08:16 AM
Do people forget that Bob coached in the SEC?

And coached well. It could he even be argued that he's the guy that rekindled the SEC defense. Hmmmmm ....bitches.

Mac94
5/9/2013, 08:17 AM
I just wanted to post in this thread to give a resounding **** You to Mac94, the faggies, Bill Byrne, and 24-19.

Ah ... the Cajun kitties are as classy as ever. And congrats on winning last year ... I do wonder though ... since we're in the same conference now what will you cowards do when we start beating your backside over and over like in the past. When we started winning in the mid 70's you cowards ran ... when we started kicking your backside year after year in the 90's you cowards ran. No more running ... unless you're gonna run and join Tulane in Conference USA. And btw ... I know you all are a little slow in Louisiana ... but Bill Byrne isn't our AD anymore ... he left almost a year ago.

mainline13 - I agree with that ... it has had a snowball effect and the SEC has greatly benefited from it ... in rankings, media coverage, to recruiting.

Mac94
5/9/2013, 08:23 AM
If Osu wins out in 2011, they play for a national championship, but they didn't , they lost to an unranked Iowa state team late in the season. You can't ignore the Iowa state game. To say Osu deserved to play in the nc game is not based on any sound reasoning. The best two teams played for the nc.

I understand that ... but I do think conference titles mean something and have said since the 2001 Nebraska - Miami title game that teams that didn;t win their own conference shouldn;t play for the MNC. LSU had beaten Bama ... and played in and won the SEC title game. The only other real contender was Stanford but they did not win the Pac-12 ... lost to Oregon who had 2 losses.

picasso
5/9/2013, 09:58 AM
Mac, I wouldn't start throwing stones at people for "running away" if I was you.

Mac94
5/9/2013, 10:07 AM
Slightly different case ... on LSU's part is was taking their ball and going home because they were getting whooped. With our switching of conferences it was leaving a sinking ship for a much more stable vessel. And let's be honest ... you and I both know a large number of Sooner fans hope OU's admin would do the same if the opportunity arose ... be it the SEC, Big-10, or Pac-12. There is a reason Boren and company looked into the Pac-12 at the time A&M left.

picasso
5/9/2013, 11:00 AM
Oh that's not the whole story and you know it. You wanted to get away from big brother Texas. It looks good right now but so did staying in the SWC.

Mac94
5/9/2013, 11:11 AM
Oh that's not the whole story and you know it. You wanted to get away from big brother Texas. It looks good right now but so did staying in the SWC.

Not the whole story but definately part of it ... the big-12 at the time was and in some ways still is an unstable conference. When Loftin said this was a "100 year decision" he was refering to conference stability. Yes, the Horns trying to pull some crap with the LHN was an issue (High School games and conference games) ... kind of a straw that broke the camels back kind of thing ... but it's hardly the only factor.

A&M and the SEC issue goes back to the ealry 1990's when the SWC was falling apart. There has long been a faction of Aggies that has wanted to go SEC. When the SWC was fallign apart Texas was then talking with the Pac-10 and we were in serious talks with the SEC. State politics kept those moves from happening and state politics got Tech and Baylor into the merger with the Big-8.

Not sure what you meant by staying in the SWC.

picasso
5/9/2013, 11:36 AM
I can certainly understand that logic . My point is you had a crowd that wanted out of UT's shadow.

Mac94
5/9/2013, 11:42 AM
I don;t think was was the driving thought behind the powers that be. Among the rank and file fans that was played up some ... a chance to "stick it to Texas" ... rivalry talk, etc. I don't think that was the key point inf the B.o.R. discussions. One voice that get's kinda forgotten is Gene Stallings. He was on the B.o.R. for a long time and had been pushing for the SEC for years. He played at A&M under Bear Bryant and coached at A&M as well as Bama ... winning the MNC as head coach of the Tide in 1992. He had the ear of alot of power players and was a strong voice for the SEC move.

champions77
5/9/2013, 03:14 PM
Not the whole story but definately part of it ... the big-12 at the time was and in some ways still is an unstable conference. When Loftin said this was a "100 year decision" he was refering to conference stability. Yes, the Horns trying to pull some crap with the LHN was an issue (High School games and conference games) ... kind of a straw that broke the camels back kind of thing ... but it's hardly the only factor.

A&M and the SEC issue goes back to the ealry 1990's when the SWC was falling apart. There has long been a faction of Aggies that has wanted to go SEC. When the SWC was fallign apart Texas was then talking with the Pac-10 and we were in serious talks with the SEC. State politics kept those moves from happening and state politics got Tech and Baylor into the merger with the Big-8.

Not sure what you meant by staying in the SWC.

I say good for A&M, just wish OU had gone with them to the SEC. Not many schools have said no to the SEC, and there is a reason for that, it's a great, great conference, far superior to anything the BIG XII has been, or ever will be. You don't see schools raided from the SEC, like you do the BIG XII, and there is a reason for that.

I truly believe if more OU fans were more familiar with the SEC, had been to some big games in the SEC, and experienced the passion those folks have, well maybe there would have been more of an effort to accept their offer. The SEC puts the BIG XII to shame in so many ways, the move should have been a "no brainer".

As to Bob's statement about "Propaganda" being the reason for the SEC's rise to prominence.....maybe the most idiotic thing Bob has ever uttered. Those NC were won on the field, and each one was deserved. To diminish those Championships would be considered "sour grapes" by many. And isn't that the very thing that makes Bob the maddest, to not give proper credit when achieving extraordinary success?

picasso
5/9/2013, 03:39 PM
Did you read what he said? The relevance of the better SEC teams is obvious. He was talking about the ****ty lower half that just cleaned out it's coaching house.

champions77
5/9/2013, 04:02 PM
Did you read what he said? The relevance of the better SEC teams is obvious. He was talking about the ****ty lower half that just cleaned out it's coaching house.

Yes, I just happen to disagree with him. Does Bob really think the lower echelon teams in the BIG XII could compete with the lower echelon teams in the SEC? If so, go ask Mizzou what they think about it?

8timechamps
5/9/2013, 07:11 PM
Yes, I just happen to disagree with him. Does Bob really think the lower echelon teams in the BIG XII could compete with the lower echelon teams in the SEC? If so, go ask Mizzou what they think about it?

How about asking what Texas thinks of it. They played a lower echelon team, and didn't have any problems with that "SEC dominance".

Look, nobody is arguing that the SEC has had the best teams in football over the past decade. The best conference though? Nope.

Mizzou really did about what they would have done in the Big XII. They lost to the big boys. The only difference is that the SEC has more teams, thus more big boys.

I still don't see what was incorrect with what Bob said.

Some folks (Sooner fans) will never be happy, and bitch about anything they can find that they perceive as "wrong".

picasso
5/9/2013, 08:00 PM
Bob isn't out tooting the superiority of the Big 12 bottom suckers is he?

5/10/2013, 01:55 AM
I just saw on ESPeNis the interview with Bob, where he said what he said, and the interview with Nick Saban responding to either the interview or what Saban's interviewer said that Bob said about the SEC SEC SEC. What they presented did look a little like sour grapes on the part of Bob.

Tidefan36854
5/10/2013, 02:23 AM
How about asking what Texas thinks of it. They played a lower echelon team, and didn't have any problems with that "SEC dominance".

Look, nobody is arguing that the SEC has had the best teams in football over the past decade. The best conference though? Nope.

Mizzou really did about what they would have done in the Big XII. They lost to the big boys. The only difference is that the SEC has more teams, thus more big boys.

I still don't see what was incorrect with what Bob said.

Some folks (Sooner fans) will never be happy, and bitch about anything they can find that they perceive as "wrong".

Although I don't understand why it even matters how bad the bottom 5 or 6 teams are to determine a conference's greatness, tell me who you who would you say has had the best conference from to bottom in the several years? Are you really basing your argument on Texas, who recruits in the top 10 every year, beating a 6 - 6 team with a first year HC that was picked to finish dead last in the SEC West in 2012? If you use that argument, you must go back to 2008 when Ole Miss, who finished 8 - 4, beat Texas Tech who was 11 - 1 and ranked #8.

In 2012 the SEC's overall winning record was 98 - 48 (.760) and 6 teams finished with 10+ win seasons and 7 teams ranked in the tops 25. The Big XII went 71 - 49 (.590) and had 2 teams with 10+ wins and 2 teams ranked in the top 25. The SEC went 1-1 head to head with B12. The SEC 5 had teams with a losing record and the Big XII had 2.

In 2011 the SEC had 5 teams with 10+ wins (all 5 ranked in the Top 25 in the final BCS poll) and the Big XII had 4 teams that had 10+ wins seasons (4 teams ranked Top 25). In that year, OSU went 12-1 while OU, KSU, Baylor went 10 - 3. In the SEC, LSU went 13 - 1, UA 12 - 1, Arky and USCe went 11-2, and UGA went 10 - 4. The SEC went 2-0 in head to matchups with Arky beating KSU and TAMU. The SEC 4 had teams with a losing recod and the Big XII had 3.

In 2010 the SEC had 4 teams with 10+ win seasons and 6 ranked in the top 25. The Big XII had also had 4 teams with 10+ win seasons with 5 ranked teams. The SEC went 2 - 1 in head to head matchups with Big XII that year. The SEC had 2 teams with losing records and the Big XII had 4.

In 2009, the SEC had UA 14 -0 and UF 13-1 with 4 ranked teams, and the Big XII had UT going 13 - 1 and Neb 10-4 with 3 ranked teams. The SEC had 2 teams with losing records and the Big XII had 4. The SEC went 4-1 in head to matchups with Big XII.

In 2008, the SEC had 4 teams with 10+ wins with 4 ranked teams, and the Big XII had 4 teams with 10+ wins 5 ranked teams. The SEC had 4 teams with losing records and the Big XII had 5. The SEC went 2-1 in head to matchups with Big XII.

If you tally up the raw data for the last 5 seasons:

The SEC had 21 teams with 10+ win seasons, 21 Top 25 ranked teams, had a 11 - 4 head to head record with the B12, and had
17 teams with losing records.

The B12 had 16 teams with 10+ win seasons, 18 Top 25 ranked teams, had a 4 - 11 head to head record with the SEC, and had
18 teams with losing records.

Along with all of that, when you consider that the SEC is 4-0 in National titles, and 2-0 in undefeated teams over the BigXII in the same time frame, there's really no comparing the two.

If you're going strictly off what Bob said, the Big XII has had more losing teams than the SEC has had in the last 5 seasons. You said that "the SEC has more teams, thus more big boys", but the same holds true for more more teams, thus more bottom feeders as well. Are we really arguing over whose crappy teams are better when the SEC's top teams are clearly better?

Again, tell me how the Big XII or anybody else has been a better conference.

Football is cyclical, and the SEC is not going to stay on top forever, but to say the unprecedented run the SEC is on is propaganda is propaganda itself. I say this as a fan of Bob Stoops and as a fan of OU. I don't harbor any will ill toward OU or the Big XII, but to merely discount what the SEC has accomplished in the last 7 year as propaganda and media hype is just sour grapes IMO.

olevetonahill
5/10/2013, 05:46 AM
This whole "BEST " conference is a crock of ****.
Im a Sooner not a ****in "Big Twelver"

Mac94
5/10/2013, 08:17 AM
This whole "BEST " conference is a crock of ****.
Im a Sooner not a ****in "Big Twelver"

Yes and no ... who a team is affiliated with matters ... as an Aggie who was on campus suring the last years of the SWC ... we saw how much being in a weak conference mattered in rankings, coverage, etc.

The Big-12, and I think deep down most Sooners agree, is not a good conference and is hampered by the same issues that the old Big-8 and SWC had. For me, ideally, I hope the old Pac-16 idea comes back into play ... merging OU, oSu, Texas, and Tech into the Pac-12. It would be a huge improvement for OU in terms of marketing, media coverage, and keeps the Texas recruiting ties while strengthing recruting out west.

olevetonahill
5/10/2013, 08:21 AM
Yes and no ... who a team is affiliated with matters ... as an Aggie who was on campus suring the last years of the SWC ... we saw how much being in a weak conference mattered in rankings, coverage, etc.

The Big-12, and I think deep down most Sooners agree, is not a good conference and is hampered by the same issues that the old Big-8 and SWC had. For me, ideally, I hope the old Pac-16 idea comes back into play ... merging OU, oSu, Texas, and Tech into the Pac-12. It would be a huge improvement for OU in terms of marketing, media coverage, and keeps the Texas recruiting ties while strengthing recruting out west.

Your certainly entitled to your opinion No matter how ****ty it is

Run along and scream SEC SEC SEC all ya want if thats what makes yer pecker hard

swardboy
5/10/2013, 08:47 AM
I was pleasantly surprised to hear Michael Wilbong side with Stoops on this, in that he called the SEC out on their practice of taking SEC refs to away games combined with the ridiculous 7-8 home game schedules the conference heavyweights regularly churn out.

SoonerMarkVA
5/10/2013, 09:18 AM

I'll certainly agree with that. The "issue" is being closely aligned with ut and its ability to suck the lifeblood out of anything within reach.

Mac94
5/10/2013, 09:29 AM
The "issue" is being closely aligned with ut and its ability to suck the lifeblood out of anything within reach.

LOL ... I was thinking along the lines of to many unmarketable teams but that works too. ;)

picasso
5/10/2013, 10:01 AM
Although I don't understand why it even matters how bad the bottom 5 or 6 teams are to determine a conference's greatness, tell me who you who would you say has had the best conference from to bottom in the several years? Are you really basing your argument on Texas, who recruits in the top 10 every year, beating a 6 - 6 team with a first year HC that was picked to finish dead last in the SEC West in 2012? If you use that argument, you must go back to 2008 when Ole Miss, who finished 8 - 4, beat Texas Tech who was 11 - 1 and ranked #8.

In 2012 the SEC's overall winning record was 98 - 48 (.760) and 6 teams finished with 10+ win seasons and 7 teams ranked in the tops 25. The Big XII went 71 - 49 (.590) and had 2 teams with 10+ wins and 2 teams ranked in the top 25. The SEC went 1-1 head to head with B12. The SEC 5 had teams with a losing record and the Big XII had 2.

In 2011 the SEC had 5 teams with 10+ wins (all 5 ranked in the Top 25 in the final BCS poll) and the Big XII had 4 teams that had 10+ wins seasons (4 teams ranked Top 25). In that year, OSU went 12-1 while OU, KSU, Baylor went 10 - 3. In the SEC, LSU went 13 - 1, UA 12 - 1, Arky and USCe went 11-2, and UGA went 10 - 4. The SEC went 2-0 in head to matchups with Arky beating KSU and TAMU. The SEC 4 had teams with a losing recod and the Big XII had 3.

In 2010 the SEC had 4 teams with 10+ win seasons and 6 ranked in the top 25. The Big XII had also had 4 teams with 10+ win seasons with 5 ranked teams. The SEC went 2 - 1 in head to head matchups with Big XII that year. The SEC had 2 teams with losing records and the Big XII had 4.

In 2009, the SEC had UA 14 -0 and UF 13-1 with 4 ranked teams, and the Big XII had UT going 13 - 1 and Neb 10-4 with 3 ranked teams. The SEC had 2 teams with losing records and the Big XII had 4. The SEC went 4-1 in head to matchups with Big XII.

In 2008, the SEC had 4 teams with 10+ wins with 4 ranked teams, and the Big XII had 4 teams with 10+ wins 5 ranked teams. The SEC had 4 teams with losing records and the Big XII had 5. The SEC went 2-1 in head to matchups with Big XII.

The SEC had 21 teams with 10+ win seasons, 21 Top 25 ranked teams, had a 11 - 4 head to head record with the B12, and had

The B12 had 16 teams with 10+ win seasons, 18 Top 25 ranked teams, had a 4 - 11 head to head record with the SEC, and had

Along with all of that, when you consider that the SEC is 4-0 in National titles, and 2-0 in undefeated teams over the BigXII in the same time frame, there's really no comparing the two.

If you're going strictly off what Bob said, the Big XII has had more losing teams than the SEC has had in the last 5 seasons. You said that "the SEC has more teams, thus more big boys", but the same holds true for more more teams, thus more bottom feeders as well. Are we really arguing over whose crappy teams are better when the SEC's top teams are clearly better?

Football is cyclical, and the SEC is not going to stay on top forever, but to say the unprecedented run the SEC is on is propaganda is propaganda itself. I say this as a fan of Bob Stoops and as a fan of OU. I don't harbor any will ill toward OU or the Big XII, but to merely discount what the SEC has accomplished in the last 7 year as propaganda and media hype is just sour grapes IMO.
Good God man. I'm assuming you aren't married or have children.
Is anyone addressing the fact that Stoops was reacting and not being proactive in this whole wadded panty fest? He said the SEC is good but it also gets endless pathetic pimping!
Sure he can silence some of it by beating an SEC power but my God, find something to ****ing do with yourself.

Lott's Bandana
5/10/2013, 10:12 AM

Using SEC records and rankings is like celebrating our historic invasion victory of Grenada.

Winning records playing in your own stadiums, using your own referees (in the rare occasion you play outside of The Reconstruction) and beating up your little sisters, all the while being the $1000 call-girl for the biggest pimpin network on the planet gets you guaranteed voters in an incredibly manipulative and flawed subjective system.

Stoops never said the Big XII was the better conference. All this conference crap started in the jingoistic Dixieland SEC SEC SEC and has all but eliminated the benefit of playing difficult non-conference schedules.

"But the SEC playing each other is tough enough!"

HORSESH!T.

Mac94
5/10/2013, 10:20 AM
and has all but eliminated the benefit of playing difficult non-conference schedules.

Most SEC teams follow the same OOC scheduling formula as other conferences with 8 conference games have done. One marquee game and three buy home games. There is one difference, though, in that the SEC plays a high number of conference games in September (good for TV) so there is a need for OOC games in Oct/Nov. Because other conferences are in the middle of conference schedules the SEC generally dips into the FCS to get teams to fill out the OOC schedule.

Look at week 1 of the 2013 season, almost every meaningful game is SEC versus someone else ... Thursday night will be North Carolina vs. S. Carolina ... Saturday will feature games like Mississippi St versus Oklahoma St, LSU vs TCU, Alabama vs Virginia Tech, Georgia vs Clemson, Washington St. vs Auburn.

badger
5/10/2013, 10:23 AM
One marquee game

In a nutshell, the Boise State model.

Lott's Bandana
5/10/2013, 10:28 AM
Most SEC teams follow the same OOC scheduling formula as other conferences with 8 conference games have done. One marquee game and three buy home games. There is one difference, though, in that the SEC plays a high number of conference games in September (good for TV) so there is a need for OOC games in Oct/Nov. Because other conferences are in the middle of conference schedules the SEC generally dips into the FCS to get teams to fill out the OOC schedule.

Look at week 1 of the 2013 season, almost every meaningful game is SEC versus someone else ... Thursday night will be North Carolina vs. S. Carolina ... Saturday will feature games like Mississippi St versus Oklahoma St, LSU vs TCU, Alabama vs Virginia Tech, Georgia vs Clemson, Washington St. vs Auburn.

Man, I was respecting your rhetoric until you threw Wazzu in there.

Punt.

Mac94
5/10/2013, 10:31 AM
In a nutshell, the Boise State model.

Pretty much the same model OU as well as most other BCS conference teams have used since the beginning of the Big-12. Look at the OOC the year OU won the MNC.

Mac94
5/10/2013, 10:33 AM
Man, I was respecting your rhetoric until you threw Wazzu in there.

Was looking at BCS conference vs BCS conference ... there is very little in week 1 that features BCS vs BCS. And I did leave out that week 1 Vanderbilt and Ole Miss play a conference game.

Mac94
5/10/2013, 10:36 AM
This year SEC teams will play the following OOC games (my Aggies OOC sucks this year)

Bama - Virginia Tech
Arkansas - Rutgers
Auburn - Washington St
Florida - Miami and Florida St.
Georgia - Clemson and Georgia Tech
Kentucky - Louisville
LSU - TCU
Mississippi St. - Oklahoma St.
Missouri - Indiana
Ole Miss - Texas
S. Carolina - N. Carolina and Clemson
Tennessee - Oregon
Vanderbilt - Wake Forest

Mac94
5/10/2013, 10:40 AM
As for the vaunted Big-12:

Baylor - none
Iowa St - Iowa
Kansas - none
Kansas St - none
Oklahoma - Notre Dame
Okla St - Miss St
TCU - LSU
Texas - Ole Miss
Tech - none
W. Virginia - Maryland

So the SEC's creampuff scheduling has 16 BCS vs BCS games spread among 14 teams .... the Big-12 has 6 among 10 teams. But hey ... everyone has to play Kansas and Iowa St.

Ruf/Nek7
5/10/2013, 10:45 AM
This year SEC teams will play the following OOC games (my Aggies OOC sucks this year)

Bama - Virginia Tech
Arkansas - Rutgers
Auburn - Washington St
Florida - Miami and Florida St.
Georgia - Clemson and Georgia Tech
Kentucky - Louisville
LSU - TCU
Mississippi St. - Oklahoma St.
Missouri - Indiana
Ole Miss - Texas
S. Carolina - N. Carolina and Clemson
Tennessee - Oregon
Vanderbilt - Wake Forest

Power house programs right there.
*NOTE:I did not pick on Indiana for obvious reasons :joyous:*

Mac94
5/10/2013, 10:48 AM
Yes, WSU and WF are not good teams ... but Rutgers was 9-4 last year ... a better record that most of that Big-12 depth (read 7-5). And I did include a bad Maryland on the Big-12 list

picasso
5/10/2013, 11:20 AM
As for the vaunted Big-12:

Baylor - none
Iowa St - Iowa
Kansas - none
Kansas St - none
Oklahoma - Notre Dame
Okla St - Miss St
TCU - LSU
Texas - Ole Miss
Tech - none
W. Virginia - Maryland

So the SEC's creampuff scheduling has 16 BCS vs BCS games spread among 14 teams .... the Big-12 has 6 among 10 teams. But hey ... everyone has to play Kansas and Iowa St.

That's the point right there. Nobody, including Stoops, is saying the Big 12 is the greatest thing since moonshine.
And I'm laughing at Nick Saban and the smart assed media Tweet pile on fest of Stoops. You think Bob said these things in hopes to gain favor amongst peers and media dooshes? Funny.

Mac94
5/10/2013, 11:31 AM
You think Bob said these things in hopes to gain favor amongst peers and media dooshes? Funny.

Of course not ... his job is to sell the University of Oklahoma to the two groups that matter ... the donors and recruits. Since OU is in the Big-12 he must as an extension, defend the Big-12 as a destination of said recruits. The recruiting landscape is changing and his comments come right after two huge things happened ... Texas A&M announced the stadium expansion and the SEC announced their new network. With A&M now in the SEC recruiting in the state of Texas has changed and Bob knows this. His comments reflect him doing his job in trying to downplay what is a threat to Sooner recruiting. He is selling his program and conference ... like he should. Saban's comments and Muschamps comments that have been reported reflect the same.

MI Sooner
5/10/2013, 12:13 PM
S

I don't get this. Does anyone think the "two best teams" should play for the title? They sure don't act like it. No one argued against ND being in the title game last year when it was clear they would be an underdog to more than 2 teams. ND, going into the game, was not considered one of the two best teams, yet everyone agreed they should be in the title game. People appear to look at teams with the best record, as long as winning percentage isn't dramatically different. If teams have the same record, then it comes down to best team, or some other factor.

I personally think it should be the teams that, based on their resumes, have the 1st and 2nd highest chances of being the #1 team in the country (based on who they played, and who they beat) should they win the title game.

Scott D
5/10/2013, 05:16 PM
The argument has been going on for 15 years now in regards to the "two best teams". One side is that you should be your conference champion (obvious exception being the Tarnished Domers who continue to delude themselves about not needing a conference), the other suggests that if you are considered to be the best, but not your conference's champion be it by a fluke loss, a close loss to a quality team, or just a bad loss then you deserve that opportunity no matter what.

Absolutely Alabama benefitted from that scenario at the end of the 2011 season, just as OU did after the 2003 season, and Nebraska at the end of the 2001 season. The only real difference is that Alabama was the only one of those three teams to prove that decision to be right.

Truth is, all it proved is that with a month to prepare, Nicholas Saban is way too much coach for Leslie Miles to handle. Then again 4 months ago Dabo Swinney was too much coach for Leslie Miles to handle.

Sabanball
5/10/2013, 06:08 PM
This was sent by a friend to my email when we were discussing this. He has an interesting theory:

"Bob and his fanbase are in a tough position right now. Their president said Oklahoma would not be wallflower on conference realignment and then was promptly told "no way" by the PAC when OU tried to head in that direction in 2011. They are politically wedded to OSU. Most importantly, they must effectively recruit Texas in order to be successful in the long term. The best way to recruit Texas is to play in Texas and constantly be mentioned in the Texas media. OU just cannot afford to let Texas drop the annual game in Dallas and to lose all the other exposure from playing in the Texas. Meanwhile, they can see that as the Big12 weakens as compared to other conferences....their own program is wilting on the vine. OU is doing their best to help the situation by scheduling some strong OOC opponents......but those efforts are failing when they continue to lose the big OOC games.

At the same time, recruiting has become much tougher for OU as the SEC's dominance both on the field and in the draft has made it much tougher to compete for Texas recruits. Kids in Texas that want to stay home (and 100 miles across the border in Norman is "staying home") now have the option to stay at home and play in the best conference in the country, with the most national exposure and with the best record of sending athletes to the NFL. The impact of this change is being and will be felt by Texas and OU. However, there will always be tons of great athletes in Texas that want to play at UT-Austin. Thus, the greatest impact has been and will continue to be on OU. More often than not, OU is now competing (for Texas kids) with Baylor, TCU and Tech. The very top recruits in Texas are now either going to Texas, A&M or elsewhere in the SEC....these kids want to play in the NFL. As the SEC becomes more and more dominant.....the impact on OU increases. But what can they do? About all they can do is exactly what Bob is trying to do......he's trying to convince the media and his recruits that the SEC isn't as great as its fame and the Big12 is not the mess that it appears to be. The Cotton Bowl this year really hurt that argument.

OU fans do not tend to be delusional....but they are beyond frustrated at being stuck in the Big12 and playing that schedule of light weights. They would head to the SEC in a heartbeat if they could be assured that Texas would not drop the game in Dallas and if the SEC would allow OSU to join them. They would then be able to offer the NFL benefits of the SEC and continue to have exposure in Texas via the annual OOC Texas game and A&M conference game. Their fans are absolutely convinced that the rest of the SEC would welcome them with open arms but that the only thing preventing that from happening when their "grant of rights" expires is that the SEC would not allow them to bring OSU."

Agree, or disagree? I'm not sure it is totally accurate, but I think he makes some good points.

Mazeppa
5/10/2013, 08:37 PM
You knew there would be responses from the sec:

Muschamp, Saban jab at Bob Stoops' 'propaganda' comments
By Jerry Hinnen | College Football Writer
May 10, 2013 3:33 pm ET
Nick Saban he has 'more important things to do' than worry about Bob Stoops' comments.
Surprise, surprise: Oklahoma's Bob Stoops claiming the SEC's reputation is a result of "propaganda" -- and not wins like, say, Texas A&M's 41-13 Cotton Bowl dismantling of Stoops' own Sooners -- has caused plenty of waves across SEC country.
Waves enough, in fact, that both Florida's Will Muschamp and Alabama's Nick Saban have offered public responses this week. Not surprisingly, neither thought much of Stoops' comments -- but neither was willing to spark a war of words over them, either.
"I'd be saying the same thing if I were in the Big 12," Muschamp, a former Texas defensive coordinator, said with a laugh on Wednesday. "I said it for three years."
Speaking at a "Crimson Caravan" fan gathering similar to the one at which Stoops made his comments, Saban was maybe a little more forceful than his SEC East counterpart.
"You're going to have to tell me what he said,” Saban said, per al.com. “I've got more important things to do than sit around and read what Bob Stoops has to say about anything."
Saban did go on to say that he likes Stoops, "respect[s] him as a coach," and "certainly respect[s] the great program that they have at Oklahoma and the other good programs that they have in the Big 12.”
But, after being informed of Stoops' comments, he also made it clear he starkly disagreed that the SEC's reputation is unearned, as well as Stoops' contention that the bottom half of the league is weak.
"I really don't think that people that don't play in our league really don't understand the quality of our league from top to bottom," he said, adding that "animosity" over the SEC's success was likely fueling its detractors.
It's entirely expected that coaches like Saban and Muschamp aren't going to take another member of that coaching fraternity (particularly the very-well-paid wing of that fraternity) totally to task for comments made off the cuff in an informal setting; next time, it might be them saying something that makes headlines they'd have rather avoided. (Which is not to say that Stoops regrets making his comments. His point that the SEC's lower-rung teams aren't up to the standard of the Big 12's in recent seasons is an accurate one, for whatever that's worth.)
But there's enough edge to both Saban's and Muschamp's responses to think they won't mind if they or another SEC team get another crack at Stoops in next year's Cotton Bowl, either.

Tidefan36854
5/10/2013, 09:53 PM
Good God man. I'm assuming you aren't married or have children.
Is anyone addressing the fact that Stoops was reacting and not being proactive in this whole wadded panty fest? He said the SEC is good but it also gets endless pathetic pimping!
Sure he can silence some of it by beating an SEC power but my God, find something to ****ing do with yourself.

You'd be assuming wrong. I'm married with 3 kids and own my own business. I have plenty to do! -lol Most of the info came from an article comparing the SEC and the B12. OU fans, UA fans, SEC and B12 fans were ALL sick and tired of hearing what WE ALL called the media lovefest with USC from '03 - '05. It took Texas beating them to stop the lovefest. Then the media loved talking about the fall of the mighty Trojans. Its just how these things work. Always has been, always will. When somebody beats the SEC, the same thing will happen.

Using SEC records and rankings is like celebrating our historic invasion victory of Grenada.

Winning records playing in your own stadiums, using your own referees (in the rare occasion you play outside of The Reconstruction) and beating up your little sisters, all the while being the $1000 call-girl for the biggest pimpin network on the planet gets you guaranteed voters in an incredibly manipulative and flawed subjective system.

Stoops never said the Big XII was the better conference. All this conference crap started in the jingoistic Dixieland SEC SEC SEC and has all but eliminated the benefit of playing difficult non-conference schedules.

"But the SEC playing each other is tough enough!"

HORSESH!T.

My post wasn't directed to you, but who would YOU say was the best conference in the last 5 years? It is a simple question.
Is the dominating head to head records against the Big12, Big 10, ACC, etc HORSE**** too?

freshchris05
5/10/2013, 11:14 PM
The whole conference thing is propaganda. Alabama is a great program, maybe the best college football program. But besides Bama, no one in the SEC can hold OU's jock. Florida? LSU? UGA? Please.

The SEC is the best football conference right now. No question. But does conference alignment mean that much? I'm pretty sure this MNC streak hasn't made anyone else better except the winner.

FaninAma
5/11/2013, 12:11 AM
Saban is a ****** nozzle of the highest order. The day Alabama and LSU are prevented from oversigning and grey shirting is the day the SEC "superiority" collapses. Until then Saban, bama andthe entire cesspool known as the SEC can continue to pull the rest of college football into the cesspool with them.

Sure didn't take the ags of Texas long to learn how to skirt the recruiting limits, did it?

5/11/2013, 02:46 AM
Saban is a ****** nozzle of the highest order. The day Alabama and LSU are prevented from oversigning and grey shirting is the day the SEC "superiority" collapses. Until then Saban, bama andthe entire cesspool known as the SEC can continue to pull the rest of college football into the cesspool with them.

Sure didn't take the ags of Texas long to learn how to skirt the recruiting limits, did it?i like this...

King Crimson
5/11/2013, 07:33 AM
it's funny to watch the ATM fan yep like a trained monkey for the SEC.

wow.

maybe Mac doesn't know that OU was offered a place in SEC minus the Pokies. Boren decided to stick with the in-state ag school....ok. one good season and ATM fan is an expert on everything. and certainly able to produce all the SEC talking points. hooray!

olevetonahill
5/11/2013, 08:15 AM
Just another story Created by the media. They ask him a question then they run with JUST his answer.
Now wonder Bob has a short fuse with those dickwads.

Mac94
5/11/2013, 04:41 PM
maybe Mac doesn't know that OU was offered a place in SEC minus the Pokies. Boren decided to stick with the in-state ag school....ok. one good season and ATM fan is an expert on everything. and certainly able to produce all the SEC talking points. hooray!

Just offering up opinion and research .... you are certainly free to refute anything I've posted but I guess you can't so you're reduced to personal attacks.

And if OU was offered the SEC it was a mistake to turn it down ... although my guess is there would have been a ton of legislative pressure on OU to stick with oSu. OU would have been a heck of a better SEC invite than Mizzou. I have not attacked Oklahoma in any way nor will I. Those that know me know I am a huge Sooner fan as well as being an A&M alum.

King Crimson
5/11/2013, 06:22 PM
Just offering up opinion and research .... you are certainly free to refute anything I've posted but I guess you can't so you're reduced to personal attacks.

And if OU was offered the SEC it was a mistake to turn it down ... although my guess is there would have been a ton of legislative pressure on OU to stick with oSu. OU would have been a heck of a better SEC invite than Mizzou. I have not attacked Oklahoma in any way nor will I. Those that know me know I am a huge Sooner fan as well as being an A&M alum.

there is no "if" about OU's invitation to the SEC. as far as personal attacks go, that's not what's here...i'm just talking about what you post here and my experience with ATM fans. you've gone pretty quick to talking like you an important part of the SEC. not sure other member schools see you that way. the Aggies haven't really contended for a league title in the Big XII much, so you can excuse my pessimism about your newfound relevance in the awesome new conference digs in your own eyes.

i went to college at an SEC school and i learned there that any outside opinion or newspaper coverage (even when OU was ranked number one) before the ESPN hyped up everything SEC means reality nonsense. ...didn't really exist. and that was in the 90's. Missouri has been better than ATM at both basketball and football the last decade. so, nice dig there.....

aren't you the same poster that claimed LSU backed out of playing you because they were afraid....? no one is afraid of ATM football.

those clowns are too bourbon drunk to be afraid of anything. except elevators or taxis.

be good Mac, but you are becoming the SEC cliche.

olevetonahill
5/11/2013, 06:46 PM
there is no "if" about OU's invitation to the SEC. as far as personal attacks go, that's not what's here...i'm just talking about what you post here and my experience with ATM fans. you've gone pretty quick to talking like you an important part of the SEC. not sure other member schools see you that way. the Aggies haven't really contended for a league title in the Big XII much, so you can excuse my pessimism about your newfound relevance in the awesome new conference digs in your own eyes.

i went to college at an SEC school and i learned there that any outside opinion or newspaper coverage (even when OU was ranked number one) before the ESPN hyped up everything SEC means reality nonsense. ...didn't really exist. and that was in the 90's. Missouri has been better than ATM at both basketball and football the last decade. so, nice dig there.....

aren't you the same poster that claimed LSU backed out of playing you because they were afraid....? no one is afraid of ATM football.

those clowns are too bourbon drunk to be afraid of anything. except elevators or taxis.

be good Mac, but you are becoming the SEC cliche.

Why you wanta "Bedowngrade" ole mac dude ?

8timechamps
5/11/2013, 07:08 PM

You are taking my point out of context. My reference to Texas was in response to a different question. Of course comparing Texas to Ole Miss is apples to oranges.

Here is where our views separate. My opinion all along has been that the SEC gets the benefit of the hype factor (or "propaganda" if you like). When I hear someone say "...there were 7 SEC teams in the top 25", that doesn't mean anything to me. I think several of those teams are in the top 25 because they are associated with the SEC. Let me put it this way, if a team in the SEC loses 5 games, but all five of the teams they lost to are in the top 25, the media looks at that more favorable than a Big XII (or Pac, or B1G) team losing 5 games (3 against top 25 conference teams, and 2 against teams close to the top 25, but not ranked). Does that mean that the SEC team played a tougher schedule? If so, then it's only based on opinion...the opinion that you think all five of those teams deserved to be ranked in the top 25.

Make sense? It's hard to translate my thinking on a message board (too bad we can't have a beer and hash it out in person).

]

Again, you have to fully "buy in" to the rankings to lean on that argument. I guess I just don't.

I don't (can't) argue that the SEC hasn't had the best team in the country the past 7 years, because they clearly have (although some years there could be an argument, but not much of one). But that doesn't equate to being the best conference.

No, as a matter of fact, I don't care about either leagues crappy teams. My contention is that from top to bottom the Big XII is at the very least as good as the SEC.

I don't think anyone is dismissing what the SEC has done (is doing). But, to say that the SEC is far and away the best conference in the country is subjective at best. To go back to rankings, I just think the hype has positioned the SEC to have more teams ranked, thus more wins/losses to ranked teams.

I think what irritates me the most is that it's the "other" fans yelling "SEC, SEC, SEC", when there are typically only one or two teams that are really elite from year to year. You have no chance of convincing me that the SEC is better than the Big XII (top to bottom) year in and year out. I just don't buy it.

What I do find odd is that any Bama fan feels the need to defend the SEC. Bama carries their own clout. It wouldn't matter if Bama were in the PAC, B1G, MAC or Conference USA, the Tide have the best program in the country right now. Somehow, defending the Kentucky's and Ole Miss' of the world seems, well frankly, it seems below you.

cleller
5/11/2013, 08:14 PM
You'd be assuming wrong. I'm married with 3 kids and own my own business. I have plenty to do! -

Fellow Soonerfans beware. This type of disorder knows no conference boundaries. Help is just a click away:

http://www.ocdtribe.com/

mainline13
5/11/2013, 08:26 PM
One thing seems clear: Oklahoma is still the sh!t.

Otherwise, I can't imagine all these people spending so much time on an OU board, trying so hard to convince OU fans that their teams really are worthy.

Salt City Sooner
5/11/2013, 08:30 PM
You are taking my point out of context. My reference to Texas was in response to a different question. Of course comparing Texas to Ole Miss is apples to oranges.

Here is where our views separate. My opinion all along has been that the SEC gets the benefit of the hype factor (or "propaganda" if you like). When I hear someone say "...there were 7 SEC teams in the top 25", that doesn't mean anything to me. I think several of those teams are in the top 25 because they are associated with the SEC. Let me put it this way, if a team in the SEC loses 5 games, but all five of the teams they lost to are in the top 25, the media looks at that more favorable than a Big XII (or Pac, or B1G) team losing 5 games (3 against top 25 conference teams, and 2 against teams close to the top 25, but not ranked). Does that mean that the SEC team played a tougher schedule? If so, then it's only based on opinion...the opinion that you think all five of those teams deserved to be ranked in the top 25.

Make sense? It's hard to translate my thinking on a message board (too bad we can't have a beer and hash it out in person).

]

Again, you have to fully "buy in" to the rankings to lean on that argument. I guess I just don't.

I don't (can't) argue that the SEC hasn't had the best team in the country the past 7 years, because they clearly have (although some years there could be an argument, but not much of one). But that doesn't equate to being the best conference.

No, as a matter of fact, I don't care about either leagues crappy teams. My contention is that from top to bottom the Big XII is at the very least as good as the SEC.

I don't think anyone is dismissing what the SEC has done (is doing). But, to say that the SEC is far and away the best conference in the country is subjective at best. To go back to rankings, I just think the hype has positioned the SEC to have more teams ranked, thus more wins/losses to ranked teams.

I think what irritates me the most is that it's the "other" fans yelling "SEC, SEC, SEC", when there are typically only one or two teams that are really elite from year to year. You have no chance of convincing me that the SEC is better than the Big XII (top to bottom) year in and year out. I just don't buy it.

What I do find odd is that any Bama fan feels the need to defend the SEC. Bama carries their own clout. It wouldn't matter if Bama were in the PAC, B1G, MAC or Conference USA, the Tide have the best program in the country right now. Somehow, defending the Kentucky's and Ole Miss' of the world seems, well frankly, it seems below you.
Tramel said something with a very similar effect when he brought up Georgia:

Georgia is a great example. The Bulldogs in 2012 lost to South Carolina in October and beat Florida three weeks later. The rest of their season was this: victories over Buffalo, Missouri, Florida Atlantic, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Auburn, Georgia Southern and Georgia Tech. Then Georgia went to the SEC title game, played a whale of a game and lost to Bama 32-28. And got itself rated seventh in the nation going into the bowls. All for playing three quality opponents and going 1-2.

http://newsok.com/bob-stoops-both-right-and-wrong-about-the-sec/article/3807996

Sabanball
5/11/2013, 11:59 PM

Sure didn't take the ags of Texas long to learn how to skirt the recruiting limits, did it?

lol...please, don't tell me you're still trotting out this thoroughly debunked argument as an excuse. Hey genius, you DO know that SEC teams can only actually sign 25 players per year to a scholly, right? Bama signed 25 players in February. They can only sign additional players if existing schollies open up due to attrition, transfers, etc....Example, we had 3 players kicked off the team in February for violation of team rules, that opened up 3 new spots. Thanks to our conference rules, Bob Stoops can sign more players than Nick Saban.

FaninAma
5/12/2013, 12:32 AM
Everybody outside of Tuscaloosa understands what a sleazebag Saban is.

OU_Sooners75
5/12/2013, 12:36 AM
lol...please, don't tell me you're still trotting out this thoroughly debunked argument as an excuse. Hey genius, you DO know that SEC teams can only actually sign 25 players per year to a scholly, right? Bama signed 25 players in February. They can only sign additional players if existing schollies open up due to attrition, transfers, etc....Example, we had 3 players kicked off the team in February for violation of team rules, that opened up 3 new spots. Thanks to our conference rules, Bob Stoops can sign more players than Nick Saban.

If a team has scholarships from previous seasons, they can give more than 25. Its 25 scholarships per year...meaning they can only give out 25 for the year 2013, but if they only gave out 20 in 2012, then they can sign 30.

For acting as if you know everything about football, you are showing you really dont.

Now go gloat at a board where you are welcomed and stop coming here and making this fan base hate youre crimson tide cheating azzes even more!

OU_Sooners75
5/12/2013, 12:37 AM
Everybody outside of Tuscaloosa understands what a sleazebag Saban is.

Alabama fans understood perfectly when he was at LSU.

5/12/2013, 12:51 AM
One thing seems clear: Oklahoma is still the sh!t.

Otherwise, I can't imagine all these people spending so much time on an OU board, trying so hard to convince OU fans that their teams really are worthy.something motivates the little tykes to want to come here to pester. I don't understand it, and never have had an urge to post on another team's message boards.

soonerhubs
5/12/2013, 02:31 AM
Thoroughly debunked? Wow.

badger
5/12/2013, 11:01 AM
something motivates the little tykes to want to come here to pester. I don't understand it, and never have had an urge to post on another team's message boards.

I once trolled OP.com. After about 2-3 posts they banned me. Life goes on. That was about 7 years ago

8timechamps
5/12/2013, 02:20 PM
Tramel said something with a very similar effect when he brought up Georgia:

Perfect example of what I was trying to get across. The "pro-SEC is the best conference in the world" camp always falls back on the rankings, I say that doesn't prove anything. Tramel made the point I've been trying to make for a while. Thanks SCS!

olevetonahill
5/12/2013, 02:26 PM
I once trolled OP.com. After about 2-3 posts they banned me. Life goes on. That was about 7 years ago

Hell they wouldnt even let ME join.

King Crimson
5/12/2013, 03:15 PM
i trolled OP a bit inna day. pistol sweet pete was my handle. had my username "disappear" at hornfans around 2000 or 2001. that's what they said. i didn't bother to re-register.

King Crimson
5/12/2013, 03:23 PM
on the subject of the SEC hive mind......i saw U of Kentucky beat East Carolina in some very meaningless bowl game a few years ago....and at the end of the game they are interviewing a UK player on post-game field celebration and a few UK players get behind the interviewee and start chanting "SEC, SEC, SEC!"....effectively ending the actual interview.

i mean you just beat East Carolina (which is not exactly the 1975 Steelers, you have to admit) and somehow that is supposed to lend to conference pride? it was pretty pathetic. somehow i doubt Florida or Auburn fan was sitting on the couch thinking "aw hell ya, you git-em UK....give em one for us"

or maybe they were?

5/12/2013, 04:54 PM
on the subject of the SEC hive mind......i saw U of Kentucky beat East Carolina in some very meaningless bowl game a few years ago....and at the end of the game they are interviewing a UK player on post-game field celebration and a few UK players get behind the interviewee and start chanting "SEC, SEC, SEC!"....effectively ending the actual interview.

i mean you just beat East Carolina (which is not exactly the 1975 Steelers, you have to admit) and somehow that is supposed to lend to conference pride? it was pretty pathetic. somehow i doubt Florida or Auburn fan was sitting on the couch thinking "aw hell ya, you git-em UK....give em one for us"

or maybe they were?There's a lot of folks in the South that have an outsiders' view of sorts. There is still a feeling of being losers among some who harken back to the Civil war, and want to feel vindicated one way or another....

8timechamps
5/12/2013, 05:31 PM
I guess my "disconnect" with the whole "SEC, SEC, SEC" thing comes down to the fact that I've never really cheered for a conference. Sure, I like to see the Big XII do well in national tournaments, post season, etc. BUT, I would never be caught chanting "Big XII, Big XII, Big XII!!!".

That's why I am so confused by Alabama fans jumping in on this latest (non)event (Stoops comments). Isn't it enough to know you've been a fan of the best team in the country the past couple of years?!

My folks both graduated from the University of Tennessee. So, when I was a kid, they tried to sway me to become a Vol fan. I still have a little bit of a routing interest in Tennessee, but I'm a Sooner raised, educated, and will be Sooner dead. The point is, I've followed SEC football for a very long time, and while the whole "Lets cheer for the conference" thing is relatively new, the craziness of the SEC fanbase is not. This latest "issue" is another example of how personal they take football (for better or worse).

champions77
5/12/2013, 08:31 PM
This was sent by a friend to my email when we were discussing this. He has an interesting theory:

"Bob and his fanbase are in a tough position right now. Their president said Oklahoma would not be wallflower on conference realignment and then was promptly told "no way" by the PAC when OU tried to head in that direction in 2011. They are politically wedded to OSU. Most importantly, they must effectively recruit Texas in order to be successful in the long term. The best way to recruit Texas is to play in Texas and constantly be mentioned in the Texas media. OU just cannot afford to let Texas drop the annual game in Dallas and to lose all the other exposure from playing in the Texas. Meanwhile, they can see that as the Big12 weakens as compared to other conferences....their own program is wilting on the vine. OU is doing their best to help the situation by scheduling some strong OOC opponents......but those efforts are failing when they continue to lose the big OOC games.

At the same time, recruiting has become much tougher for OU as the SEC's dominance both on the field and in the draft has made it much tougher to compete for Texas recruits. Kids in Texas that want to stay home (and 100 miles across the border in Norman is "staying home") now have the option to stay at home and play in the best conference in the country, with the most national exposure and with the best record of sending athletes to the NFL. The impact of this change is being and will be felt by Texas and OU. However, there will always be tons of great athletes in Texas that want to play at UT-Austin. Thus, the greatest impact has been and will continue to be on OU. More often than not, OU is now competing (for Texas kids) with Baylor, TCU and Tech. The very top recruits in Texas are now either going to Texas, A&M or elsewhere in the SEC....these kids want to play in the NFL. As the SEC becomes more and more dominant.....the impact on OU increases. But what can they do? About all they can do is exactly what Bob is trying to do......he's trying to convince the media and his recruits that the SEC isn't as great as its fame and the Big12 is not the mess that it appears to be. The Cotton Bowl this year really hurt that argument.

OU fans do not tend to be delusional....but they are beyond frustrated at being stuck in the Big12 and playing that schedule of light weights. They would head to the SEC in a heartbeat if they could be assured that Texas would not drop the game in Dallas and if the SEC would allow OSU to join them. They would then be able to offer the NFL benefits of the SEC and continue to have exposure in Texas via the annual OOC Texas game and A&M conference game. Their fans are absolutely convinced that the rest of the SEC would welcome them with open arms but that the only thing preventing that from happening when their "grant of rights" expires is that the SEC would not allow them to bring OSU."

Agree, or disagree? I'm not sure it is totally accurate, but I think he makes some good points.

Agree with what you state, I would add that the Texas factor is more important to OU than Osu is, I would say if Texas decided to go to the SEC with OU , that OU would leave Osu behind in a heartbeat, regardless of what David Boren says.

8timechamps
5/12/2013, 09:13 PM
Thoroughly debunked? Wow.

I don't think "thouroughly" means what he thinks it means.

Linky (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21733077/oversigning-index-on-another-front-its-still-alabama-and-everyone-else)

OU_Sooners75
5/12/2013, 09:44 PM
About the "email" sabanball got from a friend....

OU still is able to send people to the NFL. Just 3 short years ago, they had quite a few drafted.

The SEC wants to talk about sending players to the NFL...now, which schools sent the vast majority of them? Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, USC? The rest really didnt have many, if any at all. That is 5 out of 14 propping up the SEC numbers. OU, OSU, Texas, Baylor, Kansas State have sent enough the past couple of seasons. That is 5 out of 10.

It is natural, with more schools, the more chances kids are going to get drafted. Just the way statistics work.

Mac94
5/13/2013, 08:17 AM

I don;t think I've said that A&M was all that important to the SEC ... other than the foothold it gives the conference into the state media markets and recruiting battlegrounds. We're one of 14 teams ... and newbies at that. We did have a good year last season ... which was important for us ... and we'll have other good years as well as down years.

How did I "dig" Missouri? I said OU would have been a better addition than Mizzou ... my comparision was Mizzou to OU ... not A&M. I know Mizzou has had better on field/court performance in the past decade than A&M. A&M being in the SEC, for the SEC, is about location ... not how great we've been lately.

YEs I did ... and it has to do with our long history in dealing with LSU back when we were in the SWC and played them regularly. There is history there ... and they have run from us twice in our hiostory of playing them, ... back in the 70's after we won in 74 and 75 the abruptly backed out of playing us further and then in the mid 1990's after we had won in 91, 92, 93, 94, and 95 they immediately backed out of the series with games left on the contract. Funny though, they were interested in resuming the series when we had coach Fran (ie sucked).

thecrimsoncrusader
5/13/2013, 09:43 AM
Texas A&M goes bye-bye again when Coach Sumlin leaves. That place is a dump that can't be fixed and their fan-base are freaks. There are lots of better jobs in college football than Texas A&M.

Bourbon St Sooner
5/13/2013, 11:49 AM

That which is new and shiny today will be old and rusty tomorrow. Or has Bob Dylan said the first shall be last. OU football however will endure. We're like prairie cockroaches. Enjoy your time in the sun.

Stoops was asked a question and he gave an answer. Sorry that he didn't suck the sec's **** like espn constantly does. Saban, for not caring about what Stoops says about anything sure had a long-winded response to it.

picasso
5/13/2013, 02:42 PM
Well said. Nobody likes a kissass.

BudSooner
5/13/2013, 04:46 PM
Well...Les Miles does.

picasso
5/13/2013, 05:42 PM
Les miles thinks *** kissing is tremendous.

mainline13
5/13/2013, 06:00 PM

or maybe they were?

I don't know about Fla. or Auburn, but LSU fans - if they happened to be watching - would be saying " Tigah bait." They don't actually buy into the "SEC- SEC - SEC" thing, even though they may chant on occasion.

Scott D
5/13/2013, 06:03 PM
God this story won't go away thanks to ole Charlie Weis.

8timechamps
5/13/2013, 06:05 PM
God this story won't go away thanks to ole Charlie Weis.

I just read that. It's really ESPN, they're the only outlet that won't let it die. They have to protect their investment, you know?!

Eielson
5/13/2013, 06:19 PM
OU/Texas would happen regardless of whether or not we're in the same conference. It would just be an incredibly tough OOC game to have every single year. We also don't want to throw away the game against OSU. I know it's not a legit rivalry due to the lopsidedness, but a lot of OU and OSU students grew up with each other. That games a blast, and I think the whole state would be disappointed if we broke that up...especially now that OSU is putting competitive teams on the field. So what we would do if we went to the SEC without OSU and Texas? Play Texas and OSU as two of our three OOC games (in addition to the SEC schedule)? I guess that sounds kind of fun, but I think we're better off passing.

The Cotton Bowl argument is very flawed. A&M showed that the SEC is way better than the Big XII? Really? Have you guys forgotten that we're talking about the same A&M team that got beat down year after year trying to compete in the Big XII South? A&M came the closest they've been to winning a conference title in a long time. A&M scored several upsets against OU over the years, and was always a dangerous team, but they weren't coming out on top in the conference standings.

The Big XII is clearly an elite conference. TCU dominated the Mountain West, but came to the Big XII and had a losing record. WVU beat down the Big East year after year (and even had success in BCS bowls), and they had a losing record in the Big XII play as well. Texas A&M went to the SEC, and nearly won it in their first year. Nebraska went to the Big 10, and they lost in the conference championship game. Colorado sucked in the Big XII, and they sucked in the Pac-12. Mizzou had success in the Big XII, and they struggled in the SEC. That's not all too surprising, though, seeing as most of Mizzou's success came from their northern opponents (did they ever beat OU or Texas?). You can't base how good a conference is over one game or one team. This information shows several different examples of why the Big XII is an elite conference.

Having said all that, yes, the SEC is/has been better than the Big XII. The gap isn't as big as the media has led us to believe, though, and neither of their divisions were better than the Big XII South. Stoops is right in saying that Florida, Alabama, and LSU are the ones that made that reputation. I'd even go a step further and say that they're riding the work of Saban and Meyer. It's difficult to say he's wrong. Their claim to supremacy is being 7-1 in the last 7 NC Games. Aside from the one that should be taken off of the books for buying a QB, the only win they have beyond those two guys is the one Miles got, and that one deserves a huge asterisk*.

*Two loss team, and Saban had a lot to do with that one.

Eielson
5/13/2013, 06:24 PM
I just read that. It's really ESPN, they're the only outlet that won't let it die. They have to protect their investment, you know?!

I don't know. I think ESPN would have served their cause leaving this out...

"The stats" to which Weis is referring have appeared a few times on this blog, and paint the SEC as a league devoid of parity, at least last season. The conference's bottom eight teams went 0-30 against the top six teams in 2012.

So much for any arguments about the SEC not being top-heavy.

5/13/2013, 06:35 PM
ESPeNis, the SEC SEC SEC, AND the beloved domers, can all simply KMA Mofos! Johnny hymen can have a mishap, a tornado could strike the domer locker room after hours of course, and Brent mushberg can eat my shorts. etc.etc.

Sabanball
5/13/2013, 07:45 PM
Charlie Weis weighs in on Bob's comments....

http://college-football.si.com/2013/05/13/charlie-weis-sec/?sct=uk_t2_a4

Never thought I'd compliment CC, but I actually like Colin Cowherd's take on Bob Stoops' comments. He basically called Stoops out and said "When did we start judging greatness by the worst teams in a conference? Who does that?" I died out laughing. He went on to say that every conference has their bad teams. Cowherd said but the difference is the SEC has had FIVE different teams win the BCS national title. FIVE!!!!

I don't care how our "sucky" teams match up to their "sucky" teams. How does their top tier teams match up against ours? And as Cowherd said "there's no contest". The SEC is better.

5/13/2013, 08:08 PM
...as Cowherd said "there's no contest"...how did he come to lose the Sports Nation show on ESPeNis 2? How did Michelle Beadle come to lose her gig there, too?

8timechamps
5/13/2013, 08:10 PM

Never thought I'd compliment CC, but I actually like Colin Cowherd's take on Bob Stoops' comments. He basically called Stoops out and said "When did we start judging greatness by the worst teams in a conference? Who does that?" I died out laughing. He went on to say that every conference has their bad teams. Cowherd said but the difference is the SEC has had FIVE different teams win the BCS national title. FIVE!!!!

I don't care how our "sucky" teams match up to their "sucky" teams. How does their top tier teams match up against ours? And as Cowherd said "there's no contest". The SEC is better.

That's the problem, Stoops wasn't "judging greatness", he was answering a question. I guess you hear what you want to hear. For the record, Colin Cowherd is an absolute fool, and I wouldn't admit that I listen to him if I were you.

5/13/2013, 08:17 PM
That's the problem, Stoops wasn't "judging greatness", he was answering a question. I guess you hear what you want to hear. For the record, Colin Cowherd is an absolute fool, and I wouldn't admit that I listen to him if I were you.as mentioned before, ESPeNis chose to NOT include the question he was asked in the interview in the sound byte they showed on their network, giving the impression that Bob was volunteering what he said, rather than answering the interviewer.

Eielson
5/13/2013, 09:06 PM
He went on to say that every conference has their bad teams.

Bad teams? As in plural? Name two bad teams in the Big XII last year.

8timechamps
5/13/2013, 10:25 PM
as mentioned before, ESPeNis chose to NOT include the question he was asked in the interview in the sound byte they showed on their network, giving the impression that Bob was volunteering what he said, rather than answering the interviewer.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it's hard to think ESPN doesn't have some kind of agenda with Stoops. There are over 120 head coaches in the FBS, and I feel 100% sure in saying that at least one other has made a similar comment, yet no coverage.

If it quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

picasso
5/13/2013, 11:31 PM
Wow Saban, no **** you like Cowherd's comments. He sided with you. This story keeps getting funnier and funnier. Overrated OU and their high paid coach has every doosh on espn's panties in a wad. Who really gives a ****?

5/14/2013, 12:35 AM
I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it's hard to think ESPN doesn't have some kind of agenda with Stoops. There are over 120 head coaches in the FBS, and I feel 100% sure in saying that at least one other has made a similar comment, yet no coverage.

If it quacks like a duck, it's a duck.If I knew FOR A FACT that the ESPeNisers had it in for OU, not just Stoops, would I(or almost anyone) really be surprised? Lookit the shameful refereeing we experience FAR too often.

Can it be proven that we are slighted either by the Media or way too many refs? Of course not. Do I think there's likely something to the theory? yeah.

OU_Sooners75
5/14/2013, 01:13 AM

Which five teams are those?
Auburn (who we all know bought and paid for a QB).
Alabama (2 times)
LSU (2 times)
Florida (2 times)

Name another SEC team that has won a BCS title.

Salt City Sooner
5/14/2013, 01:13 AM
UTSPN, err.....I mean ESPN has 300 million reasons to put OU down every chance they get. To be honest, I almost had to be picked up off the floor today when Gilmore sided with Stoops on the schedule difficulty thing.

pphilfran
5/14/2013, 05:09 AM
Which five teams are those?
Auburn (who we all know bought and paid for a QB).
Alabama (2 times)
LSU (2 times)
Florida (2 times)

Name another SEC team that has won a BCS title.

Tennessee

thecrimsoncrusader
5/14/2013, 06:21 AM
LSU didn't win a title. Not with 2 losses they didn't.

Bourbon St Sooner
5/14/2013, 08:55 AM

Your team (not you) has won 3 of the last 4 titles. Why are you over here crying like a little bitch about our coach answering a question? Get out of your mamma's trailer and go get a ****ing life. We're sorry our coach doesn't want to suck your coach's dick like everyone at espn.

The fact that you listen to cowherd tells me all I need to know about you. (Well that and the fact you're a whiny bitch).

badger
5/14/2013, 09:59 AM
Tennessee

It's kind of funny how little that title means these days, when their athletic department is suffering money issues, their stadium can't get filled (admittedly, it is a big stadium to fill) and the local jurisdiction even taxes womens basketball tickets.

For a BCS-era title winner, they can't retain a football coach, they can't keep up with the rest of their conference, all this despite being the only major program in the state (sorry, Mem-pis).

As silly as this sounds, maybe winning the national title isn't all its hyped up to be. Winning it in 2001 didn't save Miami from downfall, it didn't save USC from being owned by Stanford and the rest of their now-expanded conference, and Texas? 5 and 7. Tee hee.

So, it is what it is. Pride cometh before the fall, and what a fall those programs have taken. Makes you wonder what bad karma Bammer's building up with all of their bragging

Mac94
5/14/2013, 10:06 AM
It's kind of funny how little that title means these days, when their athletic department is suffering money issues, their stadium can't get filled (admittedly, it is a big stadium to fill) and the local jurisdiction even taxes womens basketball tickets.

For a BCS-era title winner, they can't retain a football coach, they can't keep up with the rest of their conference, all this despite being the only major program in the state (sorry, Mem-pis).

As silly as this sounds, maybe winning the national title isn't all its hyped up to be. Winning it in 2001 didn't save Miami from downfall, it didn't save USC from being owned by Stanford and the rest of their now-expanded conference, and Texas? 5 and 7. Tee hee.

So, it is what it is. Pride cometh before the fall, and what a fall those programs have taken. Makes you wonder what bad karma Bammer's building up with all of their bragging

This is all very true ... there are ups and downs for every program. Bama was Bama during the era of Bear Bryant but other than a few up years with Gene Stallings the Tide were really out in the football wilderness until Saban. Oklahoma, Texas, Bama, USC, Ohio St., Michigan, etc etc ... the blue bloods of the sport have all had ups and downs in their storied histories. So it will continue to be.

Mac94
5/14/2013, 10:16 AM
In terms of Big-12 vs SEC ... we all know that national perception is that the SEC is better. That said ... this September we have:

Okla St vs Miss St
TCU vs LSU
Texas vs Ole Miss

A chance for some Big-12 teams to bow up against the SEC west. Winning on the field will help with alot of perception stuff ... and the Big-12 has a good chance at that next season.

badger
5/14/2013, 10:20 AM
Oklahoma, Texas, Bama, USC, Ohio St., Michigan, etc etc ... the blue bloods of the sport have all had ups and downs in their storied histories. So it will continue to be.

This is why I'm glad we have a realistic Ag lurking here instead of one of the batsh!t crazy TexAgs posters, who would have listed Texas A&M among the sport's "blue bloods" :rcmad:

A chance for some Big-12 teams to bow up against the SEC west. Winning on the field will help with alot of perception stuff ... and the Big-12 has a good chance at that next season.

I would love to see the Big 12 do well in these matchups. However, as a conference that does not chant the conference's name excessively, I think we'd all laugh at our fellow Big 12 school if they fell in those games (TCU the lone exception, since pretty much all of the Big 12 thinks LSU is full of d00shebags).

Love or laugh. It's a nice choice to have.

Mac94
5/14/2013, 10:41 AM
This is why I'm glad we have a realistic Ag lurking here instead of one of the batsh!t crazy TexAgs posters, who would have listed Texas A&M among the sport's "blue bloods"

LOL ... I am a TexAgs poster ... have been since 1997 or so (pre crash). Same user name and everything. But I did not grow up an Aggie fan ... didn't know much of anything about A&M till OU wasn;t a realistic possibility for college (^*!%$&%^^!^$ out of state tuition). I grew up a Sooner fan (dad was OU med class of 74) so I understand Sooner history and OU's place in college football.

birddog
5/14/2013, 12:54 PM
a Sooner fan that follows the ags in austin. i suggest a therapist despite your cogent opinions.

Mac94
5/14/2013, 01:11 PM
I grew up a Sooner fan (and still am) but went to Texas A&M. At the time OU was Big-8 ... A&M was SWC ... and we both despised Texas .... who knew we'd end up in the same conference for awhile, lol.

Mac94
5/14/2013, 01:12 PM
And yes ... I'm in Austin ... can see the UT tower out my window ... I'm oh so popular in these parts, lol.

Scott D
5/14/2013, 03:11 PM
how did he come to lose the Sports Nation show on ESPeNis 2? How did Michelle Beadle come to lose her gig there, too?

Beadle's a job jumper. She's with NBC now hosting a show that is their even lamer version of Sports Nation.

8timechamps
5/14/2013, 03:12 PM
In terms of Big-12 vs SEC ... we all know that national perception is that the SEC is better. That said ... this September we have:

Okla St vs Miss St
TCU vs LSU
Texas vs Ole Miss

Good point Mac. The OSU/MSU game probably won't be much of a game, but the LSU/TCU game should be really good.

As for Ole Miss, I have no idea what kind of team they will have. Freeze has recruited a ton of talent, but that doesn't always equal success on the field (kinf od ironic that I say that, and they are playing Texas huh?).

mainline13
5/14/2013, 06:51 PM
LOL ... I am a TexAgs poster ... have been since 1997 or so (pre crash). Same user name and everything. But I did not grow up an Aggie fan ... didn't know much of anything about A&M till OU wasn;t a realistic possibility for college (^*!%$&%^^!^$ out of state tuition). I grew up a Sooner fan (dad was OU med class of 74) so I understand Sooner history and OU's place in college football.

Alright, I will separate you (in my mind) from the ... others. I'll even offer you a "Hullabaloo Caneck Caneck!" to go along with a Boomer Sooner!

Since71ASooner4Life
5/15/2013, 08:13 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/330841-where-its-at-the-nfl-and-the-college-conference-debate

5/16/2013, 01:29 PM
Alright, I will separate you (in my mind) from the ... others. I'll even offer you a "Hullabaloo Caneck Caneck!" to go along with a Boomer Sooner!Where was mack 94 before the Lasses humiliated OU on the playing field? That is, prior to that Cotton Bowl game, when they only beat us twice since the beginning of the 21st century?

Scott D
5/16/2013, 01:41 PM
it's ok cloney, he's a longtime poster here.

Mac94
5/16/2013, 01:53 PM
Where was mack 94 before the Lasses humiliated OU on the playing field? That is, prior to that Cotton Bowl game, when they only beat us twice since the beginning of the 21st century?

Joined in 2003 ... the year of 0-77 (%&!@ coach Fran). Posted before and after that game ... and defended Bob Stoops when a few media idiots accused him of running up the score. I have been more a lurker, esp in the offseason but have chimed in from time to time for years. And I didn;t really post anything much about the Cotton Bowl ... it wasn't a game I was all that happy about. OU should have been in the BCS and I wanted A&M to play a bowl game in Florida ... give our seniors a trip to a destination they hadn't experienced yet. Didn't happen though. Personally ... it's one private reason I like the SEC move ... have my teo favorite teams in different conferences so they won;t play each other (much).

badger
5/16/2013, 02:14 PM
I can vouch for the agroid as well. He's been around here forever. The resident opposing fans seem to stick out more than the hundreds of Sooners, yknow?

Hell, I still get called a Big Ten troll every so often by n00bs. When I did a Blacksburg tribute after their campus shooting someone called me a Beamerball troll. Derrrrrrp?

I wanted A&M to play a bowl game in Florida

That would have been funny. Remember what Spurrier did to Rex Grossman when he stayed out too late at South Beach before the bowl game. Johnny would have drank an ocean's worth of booze if you had a Florida bowl destination :rcmad:

Mac94
5/16/2013, 02:24 PM
Hell, I still get called a Big Ten troll every so often by n00bs.

Gotta be all the Packer green and gold when you post ;)

Johnny would have drank an ocean's worth of booze if you had a Florida bowl destination

LOL ... you say that as if JFF can't find a party anywhere he is. ;)

5/16/2013, 02:34 PM
it's ok cloney, he's a longtime poster here.Been a while since I've notice you giving me a criticism. congrats for your restraint.

I don't remember the same degree of prominence from mac as in the past. Do you? No biggee. I just would prolly appreciate seomeone in his position more if they posted as a Sooner fan rather than one divided loyalty.

Mac94
5/16/2013, 02:46 PM
I just would prolly appreciate seomeone in his position more if they posted as a Sooner fan rather than one divided loyalty.

No problem ... and I do respond some regarding Sooner football ... and that's why I come here ... to see what's up with Sooner football. Being in Austin OU football isn't talked about all that much so I lurk to see what up with OU. I will chime in from time to time on other things of a more general football nature (like this thread or the ESPN sports commentator poll, etc).

I do have a divided loyalty ... it is what it is. I grew up a Sooner fan (still have an old #44 practice jersey I got while in H.S.) but I did go to another University (financial reasons). I proudly wear Maroon and White as well as Crimson and Cream here in Austin. I have A&M and OU stuff here in my office ... I do have that divide ... and won't apologize for it.

5/16/2013, 03:12 PM
Well, at least welcome to your Sooner side.

King Crimson
5/20/2013, 08:37 PM
even though i insulted him before maybe a little, Mac has been around at SF for a long time.

he's one of us, one of them. whatever.

SicEmBaylor
6/8/2013, 11:10 PM
pp
Actually, Colin Klein's concussion that led to the result of the Baylor/KSU game is what put Bama in the title game. Baylor never has a chance to put those number of points if Klein didn't have the concussion that led to 3 interceptions and only 39 rushing yards despite Baylor being one of the crappiest defenses that KSU would face that season. Injuries suck.

This is a crock of ****.

King Crimson
6/9/2013, 11:16 AM
pp

This is a crock of ****.

maybe, but you guys aren't that good you can start claiming that stuff. Klein was for real. not like Briles is known for rushing defense. you guys got the W but we'll never know.

anyway, Bama knocked the snot out of the Irish....so hey?

8timechamps
6/9/2013, 12:41 PM
pp

This is a crock of ****.

C'mon now SicEm, I think we all know it would have been different otherwise. I'm not saying Baylor loses, but I do think it's a different, closer game.

IronHorseSooner
6/9/2013, 05:03 PM
maybe, but you guys aren't that good you can start claiming that stuff. Klein was for real. not like Briles is known for rushing defense. you guys got the W but we'll never know.

As much as I like 'Bama, they are some of the luckiest SOBs out there! They literally had to have EVERYTHING fall into place for them to play in the last two title games. I am one of the last to apologize for the orange mafia in Stoolwater, but they got hosed. The politicking for 'Bama in 2011 and LSU in 2007 by ESPiN was downright shameful.

In 2007, while we were junk-punching #1 Mizzou, Hebie was in a lather about LSU playing his Buckeyes while he was broadcasting OUr game. It was as shameful as watching Todd Luginbill do his Tebow Superman impersonation. That whole schtick of "not losing a game in regulation" by Miles and ESPiN was one of the dumbest things I had ever heard. They lost on their home field on Senior Day to an unranked Arky team, barely beat a God-awful Tennessee team, and was beaten by, wait for it, Kentucky! OU, VT, USC, and even WVU had better resumes than did LSU. To quote Jon David Booty's older brother (cannot remember his name), "why is OU not getting any mention for the BCS Title, didn't they just stomp the #1 team in the country for the second time this year?" And what is funny is that he played for LSU and his brother was the USC QB at the time.

As stated before, the SEC, for as good as they have been, have been as lucky as all get out. For me, the problem the last few years is that because I despised the non-SEC so much (tOSU, Oregon, UTerus, and ND), I found myself rooting for the SEC team. This year, I don't care who it is, somebody needs to end this.

SicEmBaylor
6/9/2013, 06:59 PM

C'mon now SicEm, I think we all know it would have been different otherwise. I'm not saying Baylor loses, but I do think it's a different, closer game.

If but's were and's and and's were but's, then the whole world would be an ***. Klein would not and could not have stopped a single one of our offensive touchdowns.

As for our defense, our defense wasn't known for any kind of defense at that point of the season; however I do know that was the point at which our defense decided to start showing up for games.

However, I'd like to know why it's okay to make the argument that we only won because of an injury on the other team when key injuries aren't exactly a rare thing in football. Has OU ever played against a team with key injuries? I bet nobody was sitting around here saying, "Well gee we really only won because they had that one injury!" It's nonsense and bull****.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/3/2014, 01:34 PM
I guess Bob was right again. Suck it, you whiney little bitch!

Mac94
1/3/2014, 01:44 PM
Bob has earned the right to say whatever the blank he wants. I do think the SEC is a better conference ... but ... for the record the Big-12 is now 2-2 against the SEC this year with one to go. And regardless of Big-12 vs SEC ... OU has proven to everyone that the Sooners can stand toe to toe with anyone ... and that gives Bob and company the right to say whatever he wants. Here's hoping the win gets alot of stud 17 and 18 year old kids listening.

Scott D
1/3/2014, 01:48 PM
Bob has earned the right to say whatever the blank he wants. I do think the SEC is a better conference ... but ... for the record the Big-12 is now 2-2 against the SEC this year with one to go. And regardless of Big-12 vs SEC ... OU has proven to everyone that the Sooners can stand toe to toe with anyone ... and that gives Bob and company the right to say whatever he wants. Here's hoping the win gets alot of stud 17 and 18 year old kids listening.

But you can truthfully argue that "Old School SEC" isn't exactly as dominant as the rest of college football has been led to believe. The nearly instant competitive play of aTm and Missouri, tied in with the unconventional Allbarn offensive scheme this year. Do they have top teams drawing in top talent, absolutely. But you had a lot of teams with senior QB's who played well, and then you had Florida who had 0 QB's and played like crap. And the SEC will always have Kentucky.

Mac94
1/3/2014, 01:59 PM
But you can truthfully argue that "Old School SEC" isn't exactly as dominant as the rest of college football has been led to believe.

Nope ... teams in the SEC can be beat. The legend of SEC power is more hype than substance. It is a great league with great players ... OU's win last night is so special in part because of who Bama is and the mythical status of the mighty SEC ... but it isn't the end all of college ball. It's a fun league to be a part of ... it's a league of really passionate fans and alot of color and all that makes college football great. It is the best conference .... BUT ... it isn't the beast it's been hyped to be. This year the East has been pretty weak with Florida falling apart, Tennessee still being down, and Georgia tripping over themselves and then becoming a mash unit. In the West there were three really good teams (Bama, Auburn, and LSU ... I could add a half because my Ags fielded a really good offense ... but that defense ... yeesh). During the regular season I actually posted that I thought the Pac-12 may be the best conference this year ... and they looked really good until bowl season. The Big-12, on the other hand, looked average in the regular but is putting together a nice bowl season that could become great if oSu takes down Mizzou tonight. Regarldess of the conferenes though ... big game Bob and the Sooners are back in the national spotlight and have earned with these last two huge wins the right to talk smack and earned a hell of alot of respect nationally. And looking at the 2014 schedule ... the Sooners look poised to make some noise and if things fall right a run at #8.

Scott D
1/3/2014, 02:01 PM
looking average during the season, and good during bowl season is how the SEC developed their current reputation.

badger
1/3/2014, 02:02 PM
ahh, looks like my october self had some fun with our sec residents. that was of course before the RRS disappointment :mack:

Mac94
1/3/2014, 02:10 PM
true ... but the SEC has something going for it that few conferences do ... a depth of name programs. Right now florida and Tennessee suck ... but Auburn and Bama and LSU are good so the league is carried by them. Back in the 1990s it was the other way around ... the national spotlight fell on Florida and Tennessee while the west was just ok. the SEC sports the major University of seven states (Missouri, Arkansas, Lousiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia ... ok ... Kentucky also but they really dont count until bball season) as well as major schools in three others (Florida, S. Carolina, and Texas). All are major large state universities that are known nationally. So while some may be down some will be up ... way up ... and the conference gains visability no matter what. That unfortuantely is the weakness of the Big-12 in that it has the major University in only 3 to 4 states (Oklahoma, Kansas, W. Virginia ... and Texas due to shear numbers ... Iowa St is way eclipsed in its state by Iowa) and the majority of the conference is made up of smaller schools that aren't household names nationally.

Mac94
1/3/2014, 02:33 PM
Went back and reread this thread ... and one question rings ouot ... where has Sabanball gone??? After the auburn loss and now with Bama getting smacked by OU should we make sure he's ok???

swardboy
1/3/2014, 03:29 PM
Let's get a posse together and run over to Tuscaloosa and check on him.......naaah.

Widescreen
1/3/2014, 03:33 PM
Went back and reread this thread ... and one question rings ouot ... where has Sabanball gone??? After the auburn loss and now with Bama getting smacked by OU should we make sure he's ok???

I hope he's gone for good. I grew tired of his backhanded compliments a couple of years ago. About the time I put him on ignore.

soonerhubs
1/3/2014, 03:37 PM
He's probably busy changing his handle to Stoopsball.