PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma leads nation in preschool education..sort of

Soonerjeepman
5/5/2013, 05:30 PM
on the CBS news...oil guy...Kiaser? from Tulsa. Created several education centers, certified teachers, state of the art facilities.

says it works, but cost $24K per child per yr.

Anyone able to take advantage of this?

Midtowner
5/5/2013, 05:43 PM
Where does the 24K/child/year number come from?

http://www.tulsaeducare.org/who-we-are/facts-and-figures/

On their website, even if I take the lowest # of students/highest possible annual cost, I only get $18.9K. Maybe your source is figuring in the cost to pay for the $6MM to $9MM construction cost? Early child ed programs like this are extremely important. It's one of the few areas Oklahoma leads in. Our long time investment in early childhood education might even partially account for how despite our citizens being poorer and despite our spending less on primary/secondary ed per pupil, we're still doing alright in test scores. That's rampant speculation, but I'm one of those folks who thinks teachers ought to make as much as doctors and lawyers and schools of education should be more selective than med school or law school.

Soonerjeepman
5/5/2013, 06:36 PM
cbs was the source...lol...just have it on wasn't really paying attention.

I'm totally for early childhood education...but has to be done right. Recent study on Headstart was not good. Most of those kids lost any advantage by 3rd grade.

Soonerfan88
5/5/2013, 08:50 PM
It's like every other argument about education, it all comes down to parental involvement. Yes, a kid gets a solid base thru Headstart and other programs but they still need someone to continue pushing and encouraging them as they get older.

Soonerjeepman
5/5/2013, 08:58 PM
yup