PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know much about fluorescent ballasts?

cleller
5/5/2013, 12:01 PM
I've got a 4 bulb T8 fixture in the garage. Its 3-4 years old, with original bulbs. About a month ago it started acting funny. Sometimes it would go out while the switch was on. A few hours later, you could turn it on, and it was fine. It kept going downhill, working part of the time, then eventually quit all together. The bulbs were always either all lit, or all out before it quit working.

I got 4 new bulbs, and started replacing them one at a time. What I ended up with was 2 new bulbs, two old bulbs, still not working. I tested the ballast with a voltage pen, and it showed "hot", but I figured it must be the culprit anyway.

Went out and got a new ballast. Due to laziness and cold I just decided to change it today. I went out, flicked the switch, and now the bulbs are all on again. Cool weather? Rest?

One funny thing is that the new T8 bulbs were very slow to warm up compared to the old ones, still not as bright. They are GE bulbs, so I guess they are OK.It was supposed to have some kinda instant bright ballast, I thought.

Just never dealt with ballasts before. This is the first fluorescent fixture I've ever had. Think the ballast is the actual problem, or something else with the fixture?

olevetonahill
5/5/2013, 12:10 PM
You prolly gonna have to go ahead and change it out.

Fraggle145
5/5/2013, 02:02 PM
Yep.

Turd_Ferguson
5/5/2013, 02:31 PM
Yep.

cleller
5/5/2013, 02:55 PM
You're all correct. Went back out during halftime, and the thing was out again. Replaced the ballast, and so far it is fine.

Pretty easy deal.

reflector
5/5/2013, 03:13 PM
I can honestly say that I don't know much about fluorescent ballasts.

pphilfran
5/5/2013, 04:44 PM
Just a heads up...

AS of last year the old standard, the T12 bulb, can no longer be produced (didn't meet efficiency standard)...there are still a year or two worth of them available....but once they are gone the new bulbs, T5/T8, won't work in your old fixture....they will burn out in less than a day....

Midtowner
5/5/2013, 05:46 PM
It ain't hard to replace 'em. Just pull them out, cut out the old ballast, insert the new one and reconnect all the wires and you should be fine.

I won't say it's not a huge mess and a giant PTIA, because it is.

Also, don't just toss your old ballast in the trash. Some of those have hazardous PCBs and have to be disposed of properly--what "proper is," I never found out because I haven't been unlucky enough to pull a ballast which had PCBs.

Soonerjeepman
5/5/2013, 06:41 PM
Just a heads up...

AS of last year the old standard, the T12 bulb, can no longer be produced (didn't meet efficiency standard)...there are still a year or two worth of them available....but once they are gone the new bulbs, T5/T8, won't work in your old fixture....they will burn out in less than a day....

ah the beauty of new regulations..."ah it's just new bulbs"..."oops, we forgot they won't work in the old ballasts...so everyone is going to have to buy new ballasts as well...ah well"..

for the record, I'm for being SELF energy efficient and conserving our earth.

C&CDean
5/5/2013, 08:39 PM
It ain't hard to replace 'em. Just pull them out, cut out the old ballast, insert the new one and reconnect all the wires and you should be fine.

I won't say it's not a huge mess and a giant PTIA, because it is.

Also, don't just toss your old ballast in the trash. Some of those have hazardous PCBs and have to be disposed of properly--what "proper is," I never found out because I haven't been unlucky enough to pull a ballast which had PCBs.
Sometimes you should just stfu about **** you have no clue about. Yeah, I know, you've read about it...meh.

cleller
5/5/2013, 10:11 PM
On the issue of disposal, I had dropped the old ballast on floor, and my wife tossed it in the trash, so I conveniently never thought about it. I haven't looked at it for PCBs, but as the fixture was not too old, it may be OK, I'll try to dig it out.

Anyway, the EPS website has a huge SNAFU of info on disposal of the things. Pretty typical:
http://www.epa.gov/wastes/hazard/tsd/pcbs/pubs/ballasts.htm

Another typical situation: I went to Home Depot to get the thing. They had a box full of them, made by GE. I got the proper T8-4bulb ballast.
When you get it home, open it up and look at the instructions that come with it, it mentions it is for Commercial use only, not to be used in residential fixtures. ?? Liability? It never ends.

olevetonahill
5/5/2013, 10:25 PM
On the issue of disposal, I had dropped the old ballast on floor, and my wife tossed it in the trash, so I conveniently never thought about it. I haven't looked at it for PCBs, but as the fixture was not too old, it may be OK, I'll try to dig it out.

Anyway, the EPS website has a huge SNAFU of info on disposal of the things. Pretty typical:
http://www.epa.gov/wastes/hazard/tsd/pcbs/pubs/ballasts.htm

Another typical situation: I went to Home Depot to get the thing. They had a box full of them, made by GE. I got the proper T8-4bulb ballast.
When you get it home, open it up and look at the instructions that come with it, it mentions it is for Commercial use only, not to be used in residential fixtures. ?? Liability? It never ends.

About the only thing I can think of is a heat issue. If its not tightly enclosed I wouldnt worry about it as long as it works.

Breadburner
5/5/2013, 11:00 PM
Sometimes you should just stfu about **** you have no clue about. Yeah, I know, you've read about it...meh.

He's a Lawyer and worked at Radio Shack...He ****ing knows everything.....!!!!!

Midtowner
5/5/2013, 11:06 PM
Ballasts ain't rocket science.

--or maybe to you folks they are?

olevetonahill
5/6/2013, 07:00 AM
Ballasts ain't rocket science.

--or maybe to you folks they are?

Ur my Hero.