PDA

View Full Version : So there I was...

BermudaSooner
5/3/2013, 11:55 AM
Sitting at the bar in Newark airport, waiting on my (as always) 30 min to 1 hour late direct flight back to OKC. I sat at this particular bar because they have plugs for your phones and such and my phone needed some juice. So anyway, the only seat is next to a mid-60s looking hippie dude, complete with the long grey pony tail, forearm tats, and oversized gut--think Jerry Garcia. I'm able to respond to emails, drink my Sam Adams and generally be left alone until I over hear Mr. Never Left the 60s tell the attractive bartender that he needed to go check the monitors to see when his wife's flight arrives. I pipe up and tell him I will look it up on my phone, which I do, and so he stays seated to enjoy his Jim Beam and Coors Light.

Well this ill advised engagement quickly led to me knowing this guy's life story, including some very intimate details on his 29 year old black girlfriend that he had just spent the last 9 days with while his wife was visiting her Alzheimers suffering mother. Lots of other details about the band he plays in and other such stuff that every time this happens to me I'm amazed at what some people will tell a total stranger at a bar.

Eventually this mostly one-sided conversation turns to politics in which, surprise surpise, 62 year old hippie dude named Stan informs me that he is a liberal and asks my affiliation. I politely tell him I generally vote Republican and in no uncertain terms tell him that liberals and most Democrat philosophy is actually one of the most evil philosophies ever developed. As he proudly declares how he didn't have to pay any taxes last year and is collecting SS, I inform him I actually paid quite a bit and that I'm accused of not paying my fair share. At this point I decide to give him a little lesson. Our conversation goes something like this:

"I suppose I'm required and forced to buy you a beer"

"huh? why? You don't have to do that."

"Well, I have more than you, you need a beer, therefore I am required, right?"

"Well, no..."

"Oh, so it is OK if it is the government taking from me, but when you see me face to face, you don't actually think you have a right to require me to buy you a beer. But if the government takes from me and gives to you, that is OK. You don't have to feel dirty in that process. You earned that somehow, but you didn't earn the right to require me to buy you a beer if we are sitting here together. Is that about it? "

"I never thought of it that way. I just think you rich people have more than you need. It is more than I need."

"And how do you think I got 'more than I need?' I busted my *** to get it. Why should you have a claim on me to buy you a beer when I am the one that earned the money to buy you an $8 Coors Light?"

"Umm...I think my wife's flight is arriving...."

rock on sooner
5/3/2013, 12:19 PM
Well, your first problem is 8 frickin dollars fer a beer!....

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 12:21 PM

Musta been a Dayum Liberal owner.

yermom
5/3/2013, 12:23 PM
they generally don't just give you Social Security, you have to have worked somewhere to get it

rock on sooner
5/3/2013, 12:26 PM
Musta been a Dayum Liberal owner.

I dunno...rumor has it that many of the beer tenders at the Iowa
State Fair are Pubs and I stopped buyin beers there when they
got up to $6..he!!, I could buy a 30 pack fer what three State Fair
beers cost!

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 12:26 PM
they generally don't just give you Social Security, you have to have worked somewhere to get it

Yup.

badger
5/3/2013, 12:35 PM
very intimate details on his 29 year old black girlfriend that he had just spent the last 9 days with while his wife was visiting her Alzheimers suffering mother

Artists tend to have more lax views on ethics and moral codes. Artists also tend to be liberals.

I'm not saying this to knock liberals, nor to suggest that conservatives don't lack morals in some case too. It just does not surprise me in the least that your hippie airport bar musician liberal dude was cheating on his wife.

If it matters, about 15 percent of my paycheck is taken out for taxes before I get any take-home pay. You know, for the beer gutted SS collectors like your new airport bar friend.

BermudaSooner
5/3/2013, 01:03 PM

No, it was $10 for a beer, it was $8 for a Coor Light...

BermudaSooner
5/3/2013, 01:05 PM

He did work at some point in his life--believe NYC bus driver for a while. I also know he has $250K in the bank...probably could have gotten his acct# and pin code too if I wanted. After all, us Republicans just steal from those less fortunate for our wealth anyway.

Curly Bill
5/3/2013, 01:23 PM
No, it was $10 for a beer, it was $8 for a Coor Light...

I generally dislike beer snobs, but that right there is funny! :highly_amused:

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 01:25 PM

Yup. hell fer 8 bucks I can get a 12 pack of Natty

rock on sooner
5/3/2013, 02:45 PM

Yup, CB, that is funny! 'Cept $10 fer a beer is even worse!

rock on sooner
5/3/2013, 02:47 PM
And I have consumed both the aforementioned beers and
aint neither one of em worth those prices...imo...

Midtowner
5/3/2013, 02:58 PM
Artists tend to have more lax views on ethics and moral codes. Artists also tend to be liberals.

I'm not saying this to knock liberals, nor to suggest that conservatives don't lack morals in some case too. It just does not surprise me in the least that your hippie airport bar musician liberal dude was cheating on his wife.

Oklahoma is #2 in divorce in the United States.

Most be a lot of liberals here.

Soonerjeepman
5/3/2013, 03:03 PM
hate to break it to ya, but divorce hits everyone.

I tried (I think) for years to make it work...basically I stayed for the kids, but then I thought I'm not showing them any positive thing about marriage.

Divorce sucks, not fun..don't recommend it but sometimes it's all there is.

cleller
5/3/2013, 03:10 PM
Yup. hell fer 8 bucks I can get a 12 pack of Natty

Miller is $7.59 for a 12 pack at the little country store near me. Don't see how they can sell the stuff that cheap. I bought some Schlitz beer in the liquor store the other day, didn't know it was still around. Pretty good stuff.

badger
5/3/2013, 03:22 PM
Oklahoma is #2 in divorce in the United States.

Most be a lot of liberals here.

You wanna go there, do you? Fiiiiiiine.

OMG! Democrats outnumber Republicans in Oklahoma! In 2013! In an official election board report!

Linky dinky dinky dink (http://www.ok.gov/elections/documents/reg_0113.pdf)

As liberals tend to be registered as Democrats, yes, yes Oklahoma does have a lot of liberals. :D

:victorious:

TAFBSooner
5/3/2013, 05:00 PM
You wanna go there, do you? Fiiiiiiine.

OMG! Democrats outnumber Republicans in Oklahoma! In 2013! In an official election board report!

Linky dinky dinky dink (http://www.ok.gov/elections/documents/reg_0113.pdf)

As liberals tend to be registered as Democrats, yes, yes Oklahoma does have a lot of liberals. :D

:victorious:

Most liberals are registered as Democrats (if they're in either of the establishment parties), but a whole lot of registered Democrats in Oklahoma are conservative. Just check out the last 40+ years of presidential election results.

StoopTroup
5/3/2013, 05:05 PM
I thought you were gonna end that story with low and behold, I finally met Olevet.

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2013, 05:17 PM
I thought you were gonna end that story with low and behold, I finally met Olevet.

Difference is, Vet isn't a liberal retard suckling off the teet of the taxpayers.

StoopTroup
5/3/2013, 05:23 PM
He's not?

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 06:01 PM

Please in The Nicest way I can sayit.
Go **** yerself
I just lost My Brother in law The only Brother i ever had , i dont want or need your BS right now

yermom
5/3/2013, 06:06 PM
He did work at some point in his life--believe NYC bus driver for a while. I also know he has $250K in the bank...probably could have gotten his acct# and pin code too if I wanted. After all, us Republicans just steal from those less fortunate for our wealth anyway.

so he's collecting Social Security and that makes him a drain on society? is every retired person in that camp, or just the liberals?

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2013, 06:10 PM
so he's collecting Social Security and that makes him a drain on society? is every retired person in that camp, or just the liberals?

It's not that he's collecting social security. It's the fact that he was so pompous about the fact he has never really had to work while he draws social security which Bermuda is contributing to as a fully employed citizen.

It's the fact that the guy has the arrogance to expect people like Bermuda to support him.

C&CDean
5/3/2013, 06:10 PM
He's not?

You, of all people Greg, have absolutely no right going there. When's the last time you worked for a living? That's what I thought. I'd drop this one like a scalding tater if I were you.

C&CDean
5/3/2013, 06:15 PM
Libtards are slowly moving into the muslim camp in my book of people who are ****ing retarded dildos.

StoopTroup
5/3/2013, 06:39 PM
Please in The Nicest way I can sayit.
Go **** yerself
I just lost My Brother in law The only Brother i ever had , i dont want or need your BS right now

Woahs me.

StoopTroup
5/3/2013, 06:40 PM
Also, it was a joke. Lighten up dickwheel.

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 07:01 PM
Also, it was a joke. Lighten up dickwheel.

No Sir Your **** IS NOT A ****ING JOKE .
Ive Been a Great friend to you .Go **** your self .

Ive Ignored for months your stupid little Hatred . I will Drive up there and Fix this IF you want me to.
Leave me alone and do your little snipe shots at Sic if you must. But I swear to GOD I will take you out. IF you continue.

yermom
5/3/2013, 08:16 PM
It's not that he's collecting social security. It's the fact that he was so pompous about the fact he has never really had to work while he draws social security which Bermuda is contributing to as a fully employed citizen.

It's the fact that the guy has the arrogance to expect people like Bermuda to support him.

tell me more about pompous people not working

C&CDean
5/3/2013, 08:19 PM
tell me more about pompous people not working

Refer to post #28. You're welcome.

BermudaSooner
5/6/2013, 09:46 AM

Exactly. Nothing necessarily wrong with collecting SS. If it is around when I retire, I will take it...but it sure isn't a part of my retirement planning....and I will most definitely get a lot less out of it than I put in. But this guy happy about living off of the production of another...I just don't get it and never will.

diverdog
5/6/2013, 11:15 AM
Sitting at the bar in Newark airport, waiting on my (as always) 30 min to 1 hour late direct flight back to OKC. I sat at this particular bar because they have plugs for your phones and such and my phone needed some juice. So anyway, the only seat is next to a mid-60s looking hippie dude, complete with the long grey pony tail, forearm tats, and oversized gut--think Jerry Garcia. I'm able to respond to emails, drink my Sam Adams and generally be left alone until I over hear Mr. Never Left the 60s tell the attractive bartender that he needed to go check the monitors to see when his wife's flight arrives. I pipe up and tell him I will look it up on my phone, which I do, and so he stays seated to enjoy his Jim Beam and Coors Light.

Well this ill advised engagement quickly led to me knowing this guy's life story, including some very intimate details on his 29 year old black girlfriend that he had just spent the last 9 days with while his wife was visiting her Alzheimers suffering mother. Lots of other details about the band he plays in and other such stuff that every time this happens to me I'm amazed at what some people will tell a total stranger at a bar.

Eventually this mostly one-sided conversation turns to politics in which, surprise surpise, 62 year old hippie dude named Stan informs me that he is a liberal and asks my affiliation. I politely tell him I generally vote Republican and in no uncertain terms tell him that liberals and most Democrat philosophy is actually one of the most evil philosophies ever developed. As he proudly declares how he didn't have to pay any taxes last year and is collecting SS, I inform him I actually paid quite a bit and that I'm accused of not paying my fair share. At this point I decide to give him a little lesson. Our conversation goes something like this:

"Well, no..."

"Oh, so it is OK if it is the government taking from me, but when you see me face to face, you don't actually think you have a right to require me to buy you a beer. But if the government takes from me and gives to you, that is OK. You don't have to feel dirty in that process. You earned that somehow, but you didn't earn the right to require me to buy you a beer if we are sitting here together. Is that about it? "

"I never thought of it that way. I just think you rich people have more than you need. It is more than I need."

"And how do you think I got 'more than I need?' I busted my *** to get it. Why should you have a claim on me to buy you a beer when I am the one that earned the money to buy you an $8 Coors Light?"

This story sounds very similar to an email I got a few years ago. I ain't buying it. :)

TheHumanAlphabet
5/6/2013, 11:59 AM
Typical libtard, do as I say, not as I do...

sappstuf
5/6/2013, 12:08 PM

"Well, no..."

I know a Stan..

Jacie
5/8/2013, 08:15 PM
Everyone going on about how many cans of whatever they can buy with $10 obviously never had to spend much time sitting in an airport.

OU_Sooners75
5/8/2013, 09:16 PM
You, of all people Greg, have absolutely no right going there. When's the last time you worked for a living? That's what I thought. I'd drop this one like a scalding tater if I were you.

Why don't you just permanently ban the toolbox!

BermudaSooner
5/10/2013, 01:36 PM
This story sounds very similar to an email I got a few years ago. I ain't buying it. :)

Well, I could probably show you the receipt for my beer at Terminal A in EWR, or the dude's card with his band name...but then again, I don't really care if you believe it or not.

Midtowner
5/10/2013, 04:34 PM
SSD has got to be reformed. I don't think there's much of a rational argument against it. The docs who are authorized to do the screenings for these programs need to be subject to some pretty severe scrutiny. IMHO, there should be an adversarial system in which the state is actively trying to screen out as many applicants as possible. The system would cost a ton, but it beats the rubber stamp BS we have right now. Also, folks should be required to be reevaluated every so often.

SSD has a place as a safety net. Unfortunately, it's just way too damn easy to get a letter from a doc saying you're 100% disabled/pathetic and get government money for it. If you're blind/deaf/don't have arms/have severe back pain, I get it... the richest country in the world shouldn't be a place where our sick have to work or they'll starve. On the other hand, if you're 100% disabled because you're a "slow learner," to hell with that.

olevetonahill
5/10/2013, 05:06 PM
SSD has got to be reformed. I don't think there's much of a rational argument against it. The docs who are authorized to do the screenings for these programs need to be subject to some pretty severe scrutiny. IMHO, there should be an adversarial system in which the state is actively trying to screen out as many applicants as possible. The system would cost a ton, but it beats the rubber stamp BS we have right now. Also, folks should be required to be reevaluated every so often.

SSD has a place as a safety net. Unfortunately, it's just way too damn easy to get a letter from a doc saying you're 100% disabled/pathetic and get government money for it. If you're blind/deaf/don't have arms/have severe back pain, I get it... the richest country in the world shouldn't be a place where our sick have to work or they'll starve. On the other hand, if you're 100% disabled because you're a "slow learner," to hell with that.

And there you go talking out yerass again.

BigTip
5/10/2013, 10:33 PM
“The government cannot give to anybody anything that the
government does not first take from somebody else.”

Seems pretty simple, but a lot of people just don't get it. They need beer analogies to drive the point home.
Good job.