PDA

View Full Version : Obama's wide red line on Syria

cleller
5/3/2013, 09:13 AM
I actually kinda feel for Obama on the Syria deal. Its just a nasty mess that I'd hate to get mixed up in. No idea what the best course for the US is there.

Lately, I've read a couple stories about Obama's warning to Assad about the chemical weapons "red line", which Assad may now have crossed.

http://news.yahoo.com/why-syria-may-obamas-gravest-foreign-policy-blunder-061600285.html

So, Obama draws a line, Assad crosses it. Either we do something, or Iran, N Korea, China, the Crips, etc will all know we are a paper tiger. What happens now?

Curly Bill
5/3/2013, 09:20 AM
I don't give a rip about Syria or the people in it, and I sure don't want to risk American lives to get involved there. That being said: Obammy, having said what he did, is gonna like look like a weak in the knees mulatto Jimmuh Carter if he continues to backslide on his "red line."

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 09:32 AM
I don't give a rip about Syria or the people in it, and I sure don't want to risk American lives to get involved there. That being said: Obammy, having said what he did, is gonna like look like a weak in the knees mulatto Jimmuh Carter if he continues to backslide on his "red line."

What ya mean hes "Gonna" ?

Curly Bill
5/3/2013, 09:39 AM
What ya mean hes "Gonna" ?

True enuff! He's just gonna make it worse I shoulda said.

rock on sooner
5/3/2013, 09:42 AM
He'll probably take McCain's and Graham's advice...McCain wants a
no fly zone (forgetting that Syria has a good air force and anti-aircraft
system) and Graham wants to use cruise missles. I don't know what
is going to take place, but I think it'll be sooner rather than later and
cleller is right about Iran, N. Korea, etc....gotta do something to stop
this crap. I STILL vote for covert action against Assad...

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 09:42 AM
True enuff! He's just gonna make it worse I shoulda said.

But unfortunately he is exactly the Pres. we deserve for Not gettin More folk that work out to vote.

sappstuf
5/3/2013, 09:46 AM
He should have never said anything about crossing a line. It appears his bluff was called and he does nothing.

Or maybe he is using the Bugs Bunny approach to international diplomacy and warfare...

zkzWyOaS8kU

Curly Bill
5/3/2013, 09:59 AM
But unfortunately he is exactly the Pres. we deserve for Not gettin More folk that work out to vote.

Hell, us working folk are outnumbered these days. We don't stand a chance!

Curly Bill
5/3/2013, 10:00 AM
And if we're gonna do anything in Syria I'm all for cruise missles, or dropping some nukes on em. I don't wanna see any of our boots on the ground.

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 10:09 AM
Hell, us working folk are outnumbered these days. We don't stand a chance!

Yea But aint outnumbered if all got out an voted.

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 10:14 AM
And if we're gonna do anything in Syria I'm all for cruise missles, or dropping some nukes on em. I don't wanna see any of our boots on the ground.

Im with you there.
And as far as votes go you do realize obammy only got sompun like 5 mil more total votes than Romney right?

If we could only have motivated a few more folk to get off their azz and go vote this would all be different. Or if those who Voted "Independent"

KantoSooner
5/3/2013, 10:16 AM
A no-fly zone enforced by Turkey, through use of missiles. Call it a humanitarian gesture. If they strike back at Turkey, then use cruise missiles to destroy all the air fields in the gov's possession in the name of NATO mutual defense.

Then arm the rebels through Jordan and the Gulf States. If there's not a little drone with about 5 Kg of HE in it for chasing down and destroying helicopters, then there ought to be and we should get one developed pronto. It would only need a rudimentary tracking system and the abilty to hold 400 mph for 30 minutes or so to take down any chopper out there. I'm thinking launch with a RATO out of the bed of a pickup type of dealio.

Maybe announce additional sanctions/intl court type things against any gov figures who stay with Assad after a certain time.

Curly Bill
5/3/2013, 10:20 AM
Here's my question: If we help the rebels does that help us in the long run, or does Syria end up being another Libya or Egypt???

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 10:24 AM
Here's my question: If we help the rebels does that help us in the long run, or does Syria end up being another Libya or Egypt???

Im with yer thinkin on this bro. Stop their Gov. from doing the Real nasty crap. but lets quit giving those rebels anywhere anything to fight with simply cause If an when they win then we got to eventually fight our own equipment .

Midtowner
5/3/2013, 10:42 AM
A no-fly zone enforced by Turkey, through use of missiles. Call it a humanitarian gesture. If they strike back at Turkey, then use cruise missiles to destroy all the air fields in the gov's possession in the name of NATO mutual defense.

Then arm the rebels through Jordan and the Gulf States. If there's not a little drone with about 5 Kg of HE in it for chasing down and destroying helicopters, then there ought to be and we should get one developed pronto. It would only need a rudimentary tracking system and the abilty to hold 400 mph for 30 minutes or so to take down any chopper out there. I'm thinking launch with a RATO out of the bed of a pickup type of dealio.

Maybe announce additional sanctions/intl court type things against any gov figures who stay with Assad after a certain time.

Arming the rebels would be a huge mistake.

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 10:45 AM

By Gawd, I knew we would agree on sompun someday.

rock on sooner
5/3/2013, 10:51 AM
By Gawd, I knew we would agree on sompun someday.

That's why I think covert assassinations, blamed on the rebels or
whoever is a solution...shoulda done that with Saddam, too...wouldn't
have lost 4000 of our finest there....

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 10:55 AM
That's why I think covert assassinations, blamed on the rebels or
whoever is a solution...shoulda done that with Saddam, too...wouldn't
have lost 4000 of our finest there....

Yea but justr taking out Sadass wouldn't have done much for the People.

rock on sooner
5/3/2013, 11:01 AM
Yea but justr taking out Sadass wouldn't have done much for the People.

Woulda been lot easier than what we have now, imo....

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 11:07 AM
Woulda been lot easier than what we have now, imo....

Now? Aint for the most part we out of there?

rock on sooner
5/3/2013, 11:12 AM

Yup, we are...ima talkin about all the dead civilians, wrecked
infrastructure, after action looting and such...

okie52
5/3/2013, 11:13 AM

Other than the 17,000 we still have on our embassy compound.

rock on sooner
5/3/2013, 11:16 AM
Other than the 17,000 we still have on our embassy compound.

Okie, aren't most of the 17000 civilian contractors and State
Dept types?

KantoSooner
5/3/2013, 11:37 AM

Then let's not run our mouths about the place whatsoever. If you want to do anything, the road ultimately leads to arming somebody, and that somebody is 'the rebels'. I would support having the Turks, the Gulf States and the Jordanians do it for us. But I'd support doing it. Best chance we've had at dislodging the Assads for 50 years and that would not be a bad thing.

Midtowner
5/3/2013, 12:26 PM
Then let's not run our mouths about the place whatsoever. If you want to do anything, the road ultimately leads to arming somebody, and that somebody is 'the rebels'. I would support having the Turks, the Gulf States and the Jordanians do it for us. But I'd support doing it. Best chance we've had at dislodging the Assads for 50 years and that would not be a bad thing.

I'm in favor of doing nothing and letting the two sides butcher one another indefinitely. It's no concern of ours. Put weapons in the hands of either side to tip the balance and you're just asking for genocide. Let the two fight and eventually come to some sort of resolution on their own.

Curly Bill
5/3/2013, 12:41 PM
I'm in favor of doing nothing and letting the two sides butcher one another indefinitely. It's no concern of ours. Put weapons in the hands of either side to tip the balance and you're just asking for genocide. Let the two fight and eventually come to some sort of resolution on their own.

Yup, and either side that wins is gonna hate us anyway, so why help either of em??

KantoSooner
5/3/2013, 12:43 PM
About the only 'up' side I see with 'the rebels' is that they hate Iran.
But, yeah, just leave it alone and maybe it will go on and on. I used to really love the Iran/Iraq war. Pity CNN didn't have better video coverage. That was about the only thing lacking.

Curly Bill
5/3/2013, 12:48 PM
Arabs killing other Arabs is just not a bad thing for us - instead of trying to stop it, or help one side quickly defeat the other we should be encouraging it, allow it to play out as long as possible. If they're busy killing each other that gives em less time to think about ways of killing Americans.