PDA

View Full Version : The Flaming Lips

picasso
5/2/2013, 10:06 AM
Any of you guys fans? I know Jed is. I follow Wayne Coyne on Instagram and I know he tries to be weird as can be but dude recently posted a pic of himself in a blue leather suit on the schitter. No shame.

cleller
5/2/2013, 12:35 PM
Not easy to be a Lip in your 50s.

Turd_Ferguson
5/2/2013, 01:49 PM
Never understood the attraction...probably never will.

hawaii 5-0
5/2/2013, 02:36 PM
I count sevral of their songs as my Favorites.

Yoshimi

Race for the Prize.

The Observer.

The Sound of Failure.

Coyne doesn't have vocal presence like a rock star but has charisma. The animal costumes on stage, the Santas. All gimmicky but fun.

The songs are simple, yet outrageous.

Fun entertainment value.

5-0

picasso
5/2/2013, 04:58 PM
Never understood the attraction...probably never will.

They do tend to be conceptual. Coyne has a graphic novel coming out btw.

StoopTroup
5/2/2013, 09:35 PM
They make some folks very happy and their concerts are fun. Just like everything else, if you don't like it, you don't have to listen or watch it.

sooneron
5/2/2013, 10:06 PM
A fan until releases after At War...

They sorta lost me at that point. I'd still go see them live again.

KantoSooner
5/3/2013, 08:21 AM
Great music. Worthy active band for those of us who grew up on REM and Talking Heads. Plus they seem like they'd be fun, kind of regular people to hang out with.

Curly Bill
5/3/2013, 08:36 AM
I'm not into em, but I've never really gave em a listen. Maybe I should?

But yeah, for those of ya that like em...rock on!

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 08:59 AM

I'm with you bro.
I wouldnt know a Flaming lip from a tater tot.

rock on sooner
5/3/2013, 10:38 AM
I'm with you bro.
I wouldnt know a Flaming lip from a tater tot.

Dont know anything about Flaming Lips but I think tater
tots er good with ketchup...

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 10:42 AM
Dont know anything about Flaming Lips but I think tater
tots er good with ketchup...

Yup. I bet them Woodpecker lips be Tuff as hell tho.

rock on sooner
5/3/2013, 10:45 AM
Heh!

sooneron
5/3/2013, 12:00 PM

Name 5 bands that you enjoy listening to these days. They can be bands that are no longer...

hawaii 5-0
5/3/2013, 12:49 PM
My first exposure to the Flaming Lips was seeing them on Austin City Limits several years ago.

They were very, very strange with the guitar/keyboardist in a bunny suit, the bassist in a skeleton suit, the singer in a three-piece suit and a drummer just beating the holy hell outta the drums. They had dancing Santas, dancing inflated suns prancing around them. Wayne Coyne was shooting smoke and grafitti into crowd and kicking big inflatable balls. It was like a great New Year's Eve party in stage.

They did a song about being hurt and Coyne used some of that fake 'rassler's blood and made it look like his head was bleeding. They used a lot of gimmicks.

I had recorded the video and watched it several times. Coyne didn't have much of a voice, not like most singers but you could tell he was the leader of the group. After a few times I paid more attention to the music itself and I started getting hooked.

Then I found out Yoshimi was about a girl battling breast cancer via chemotherapy and realized their songs were much deeper than it seemed.

I found At War With The Mystics and fell in love with The Sound of Failure. Not that it deals with depression or pokes Brittney Spears and Gwen Stefani, but it's got a very catchy rhythm to it and nice tempo changes. Kinda hard to explain, but I like the layers to the song.

Another cute one is Buggin'. Simple, fluffy but one you could sings with your kids on a road trip.

I like those bass bombs thrown in on A Spoonful Weighs a Ton.

Just lots of little things that make up a nice experience with The Flaming Lips. I wish they'd come to Hawaii.

5-0

StoopTroup
5/3/2013, 12:52 PM
Foo fighters
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Cypress Hill
Godsmack
Sublime

So many others and lots of new bands that have good songs but meh albums. Example: Song called "Sail" by Awolnation

There are lots of Country Songs I like that can put a smile on your face which IMO is much better than walking around with a permanant frown and a bug up your a$$. :D

Curly Bill
5/3/2013, 12:53 PM
Name 5 bands that you enjoy listening to these days. They can be bands that are no longer...

Lets see...

Band of Horses
The Decemberists
Guns N Roses
The Cult
Pearl Jam

StoopTroup
5/3/2013, 01:10 PM
Lets see...

Band of Horses
The Decemberists
Guns N Roses
The Cult
Pearl Jam

I like the last three too. Haven't heard much of the first two. Will check em out.

Curly Bill
5/3/2013, 01:16 PM
I like the last three too. Haven't heard much of the first two. Will check em out.

Band of Horses listen to: Laredo and No One's Gonna Love You

The Decemberists listen to: Down By the Water and This Is Why We Fight

KantoSooner
5/3/2013, 03:14 PM
A drunk biker sat down next to me at a bar in Manitou Springs, CO about 20 years ago and asked me what sort of music I preferred. I paused for a moment and he jumped in telling me that there were only two kinds of music in the world. 'Stones' and 'Not Stones',

I chose 'Stones'.

Got it right the first time.

Lott's Bandana
5/3/2013, 06:11 PM
Jethro Tull
The Black Keys
Awolnation
Elvis Costello
Joe Strummer. (The Clash)

C&CDean
5/3/2013, 07:44 PM
I can honestly say I have never seen/heard a Flaming Lips song that I know of. I'm sure I have, but I don't know about it or know it was them.

Do they really wear rabbit costumes and ****? Meh.

hawaii 5-0
5/3/2013, 10:41 PM
I can honestly say I have never seen/heard a Flaming Lips song that I know of. I'm sure I have, but I don't know about it or know it was them.

Check You Tube.

5-0

yermom
5/4/2013, 12:04 AM
Lets see...

Band of Horses
The Decemberists
Guns N Roses
The Cult
Pearl Jam

we could hang out.

i'm not a huge fan of The Cult, i've only heard a couple of songs. i like just about everything i have heard by the other four

Jethro Tull
The Black Keys
Awolnation
Elvis Costello
Joe Strummer. (The Clash)

i've just never gotten Elvis Costello....

i kinda dig AWOLNATION, but i kinda got beat over the head with Sail driving around Dallas a couple of weeks ago listening to KDGE. man they love that song.

Lott's Bandana
5/4/2013, 12:07 PM
i've just never gotten Elvis Costello....

i kinda dig AWOLNATION, but i kinda got beat over the head with Sail driving around Dallas a couple of weeks ago listening to KDGE. man they love that song.

A bit "hooky" that song, but they have some others that make a pretty good playlist on Spotify.

The Yeah Yeah Yeah's have a new CD out. Karen O went blond...interesting look for a hapa-Korean woman.

StoopTroup
5/4/2013, 12:34 PM
A bit "hooky" that song, but they have some others that make a pretty good playlist on Spotify.

The Yeah Yeah Yeah's have a new CD out. Karen O went blond...interesting look for a hapa-Korean woman.

The thing I think that really helped Wayne and the lips was when he gets in that ball and walks over the audience. It was just such a unique visual hook that made them kind of a psychedelic Pink Floyd type of current Millennium Band. They just hit the music scene with there brand at the right time and they were all a bit older, well educated and well read and people locked in on them.

Timing can be everything although I know they sacrificed for a long time before they got successful. IMHO they deserve the attention and my favorite song is...."She don't use jelly". :D

hawaii 5-0
5/4/2013, 01:41 PM
They're also proud to announce they're from Oklahoma City (and Norman).

5-0

Lott's Bandana
5/4/2013, 02:20 PM
I have seen the Lips...it was different. Of Montreal does the same kind of schtick.

For years I have tried and tried to like them. I do like Yoshimi and a few other songs, but I think WC lives to agitate, either creatively or otherwise. This is art and I respect it, but I can't quite own it. His gallery off Broadway is "creative" but actually a bit of an eyesore IMO. I do like their willingness to represent Oklahoma and their Halloween Parade is a pretty cool dealio.

Wayne and his wife(? no more ?) attend a lot of art events I go to. People fawn over him and that's fine, but I wish some of the other extremely talented people there having their work exhibited would get more of the focus.

C&CDean
5/4/2013, 02:57 PM
I have seen the Lips...it was different. Of Montreal does the same kind of schtick.

For years I have tried and tried to like them. I do like Yoshimi and a few other songs, but I think WC lives to agitate, either creatively or otherwise. This is art and I respect it, but I can't quite own it. His gallery off Broadway is "creative" but actually a bit of an eyesore IMO. I do like their willingness to represent Oklahoma and their Halloween Parade is a pretty cool dealio.

Wayne and his wife(? no more ?) attend a lot of art events I go to. People fawn over him and that's fine, but I wish some of the other extremely talented people there having their work exhibited would get more of the focus.

This is Butchspeake for "he sucks." Heh. You eloquent bastage.

sooneron
5/6/2013, 11:30 AM
Lets see...

Band of Horses
The Decemberists
Guns N Roses
The Cult
Pearl Jam

You might like some of the older stuff from the Transmissions days, but the stuff from the last ten years would probably only appeal to you on a rare song by song basis.

sooneron
5/6/2013, 11:33 AM

The 35 years ago :dean: would have dug the Lips. If you liked Bowie back in those days, you would have liked the Lips.

KantoSooner
5/6/2013, 04:40 PM
Still waiting for the gift of sound and vision...

C&CDean
5/6/2013, 09:10 PM
The 35 years ago :dean: would have dug the Lips. If you liked Bowie back in those days, you would have liked the Lips.

Dude, please. Suffragette City? Ziggy? Rock and Roll Suicide? Just cause Bowie dressed up in Spandex doesn't mean he's anything like some geeks in rabbit suits. I can get folks supporting them cause they're from okc, but Bowie is so much >>>>> lips they really can't be mentioned in the same breath.

OU_Sooners75
5/6/2013, 09:16 PM
Sorry, but IMO, their music is junk!

King Crimson
5/6/2013, 09:40 PM
i don't buy their stuff anymore but i do own a copy of the original Lips EP and Hear It Is on the white vinyl (with lyric sheet!).....i respect the hell out of those guys.

they are something to be proud of. they have always represented as Oklahomans, even during the late 80's when they relocated to San Francisco (where they pretty much freaked out everyone by being so weird i am told firsthand by a friend who is a successful actor on a Showtime drama...)....."we're just a bunch of dorks from Oklahoma".

no reason to hate on them just because the lame coffeehouse girls in faux librarian glasses and guys with the skinny jeans and lime green single speed bikes are their audience.

yermom
5/6/2013, 10:01 PM

i'm going to guess you have heard this one:

5zYOKFjpm9s

this one:

kjrUOlK2714

and this one was on Beavis and Butthead back in the day:

AfpyoGFJNNE

C&CDean
5/6/2013, 10:07 PM
1. Nope

2. Some commercial took the tune, but never heard the song.

3. Nope.

Those 3 songs sound like ****. Sorry, but I ain't getting it.

olevetonahill
5/6/2013, 10:11 PM
1. Nope

2. Some commercial took the tune, but never heard the song.

3. Nope.

Those 3 songs sound like ****. Sorry, but I ain't getting it.

Im with you Dean. Ive never heard em cause I dont listen to the radio much and when I do its on an Oldies rock or Country station. And Is it Football season yet? dint think so. so My Tee Vee aint on uch either.