PDA

View Full Version : Thank God For Oilies

sappstuf
5/2/2013, 04:58 AM
Oil reserves in North Dakota at least double per USGS

The federal government is doubling its estimate of how much oil might be discovered and harvested in the booming area of the Dakotas and Montana, a region that’s already helping to drive the United States’ dramatic shift into a role as the world’s leading oil producer.

The USGS now thinks the Three Forks formation contains 3.73 billion barrels of undiscovered and technically recoverable oil. Combined with a similar figure for the neighboring Bakken formation, it represents double the oil and nearly triple the natural gas that geologists thought the region held four years ago.

Even this estimate from the Feds is most likely a lowball estimate with others thinking it is around 11 billion barrels. As an example, we can point to estimates of the Kern River deposits and what was actually extracted.

In 1949, after 50 years of drilling, analysts estimated that just 47 million barrels remained in reserves—a rounding error in the oil business. Kern River, it seemed, was nearly played out. Instead, oil companies removed 945 million barrels in the next 40 years. In 1989, analysts again estimated Kern reserves: 697 million barrels. By 2009, Kern had produced more than 1.3 billion additional barrels, and reserves were estimated to be almost 600 million barrels.

That speaks to the ingenuity of oilies that provide us with cheap energy. It cannot be said enough, but if you want energy to be expensive, you absolutely hate poor people.. Without cheap energy poor people start dying. Almost immediately.

I won't even get into the economy.

So when you start your car this morning, understand you are thanking an oilie. If you think we should get off of oil and gas completely there isn't anything more hypocritical than getting in your car everyday.

I, for one, am happy and grateful for what they do.

Soonerjeepman
5/2/2013, 07:27 AM
yup~

diverdog
5/2/2013, 07:33 AM
Oil reserves in North Dakota at least double per USGS

Even this estimate from the Feds is most likely a lowball estimate with others thinking it is around 11 billion barrels. As an example, we can point to estimates of the Kern River deposits and what was actually extracted.

That speaks to the ingenuity of oilies that provide us with cheap energy. It cannot be said enough, but if you want energy to be expensive, you absolutely hate poor people.. Without cheap energy poor people start dying. Almost immediately.

I won't even get into the economy.

So when you start your car this morning, understand you are thanking an oilie. If you think we should get off of oil and gas completely there isn't anything more hypocritical than getting in your car everyday.

I, for one, am happy and grateful for what they do.

I won't ever say chit about oil companies ever again. They are in the middle of fracking a well on my moms place and it looks to be a good one. Keeping fingers crossed because she is going to use the money to send the grandkids to college. I would love nothing better than to get my boys through college debt free.

okie52
5/2/2013, 09:16 AM
I won't ever say chit about oil companies ever again. They are in the middle of fracking a well on my moms place and it looks to be a good one. Keeping fingers crossed because she is going to use the money to send the grandkids to college. I would love nothing better than to get my boys through college debt free.

Your boys debt free education will be at our planet's expense.

Petro-Sooner
5/2/2013, 09:24 AM
(null)

Your welcome. :)

cleller
5/2/2013, 10:16 AM
Could you please find some oil down in Scott County, Mississippi?

okie52
5/2/2013, 10:31 AM
Thank you Sapp.

StoopTroup
5/2/2013, 11:58 AM
I just bought a Nissan Leaf with some inheritance money.

pphilfran
5/2/2013, 02:57 PM
I just bought a Nissan Leaf with some inheritance money.

Sucker.... :)

diverdog
5/6/2013, 11:21 AM
Your boys debt free education will be at our planet's expense.

Well looks to be a bust. Oh well the planet is safe.

okie52
5/6/2013, 12:02 PM
Well looks to be a bust. Oh well the planet is safe.

Sorry to hear that...

diverdog
5/6/2013, 12:29 PM
Sorry to hear that...

Mom said they have fracked 16 areas, dumped a million gallons of water into it and now they are adding gas to pressurize it becuase there is very little gas in the well. She also said that all that is coming up is sludge. We will know in a week or two where it stands. The guy in the next unit over has a well that is producing 995 bbls/day of oil.

okie52
5/6/2013, 12:37 PM
Mom said they have fracked 16 areas, dumped a million gallons of water into it and now they are adding gas to pressurize it becuase there is very little gas in the well. She also said that all that is coming up is sludge. We will know in a week or two where it stands. The guy in the next unit over has a well that is producing 995 bbls/day of oil.

Good luck!!!

KantoSooner
5/6/2013, 02:36 PM
Just for giggles, I checked out the text book from a course I took in 1984 overviewing the oil industry. Right there, in the section covering secondary and tertiary recovery was a little piece on fracking.
Interestingly, it says that the technology, in one form or another, has been used since before WWII.

Strangely, the planet seems to have survived.

Relatedly, a thing called 'fire' has been linked to horrendous injuries, massive property loss, air pollution, habitat destruction AND global warming. Congressional efforts to ban its use are expected after a five year study program overseen by Yale professors.

Michael Moore and Matt Damon are said to be shocked by "...it's widespread and reckless use by industry and the spineless failure of our elected officials to step up and do something about it."

sappstuf
5/9/2013, 04:42 AM
Al Gore from a couple of days ago in Canada:

There’s no such thing as ethical oil. There’s only dirty oil and dirtier oil.

I wonder if Al Gore feels unethical everytime he fills his car up or when he gets on a plane to fly to Canada to do a speech for $50k. Somehow, I doubt it. The hypocrisy organ is removed at an early age for most Dems.

If I were an oilie, that quote would be on my wall as a badge of honor..

Petro-Sooner
5/9/2013, 08:35 AM
What a POS he is. If he only had a clue.

okie52
5/9/2013, 09:10 AM
Old Al is a visionary.

Al Gore Mea Culpa: Support for Corn-Based Ethanol Was a Mistake

Now he tells us. Al Gore says his support for corn-based ethanol subsidies while serving as vice president was a mistake that had more to do with his desire to cultivate farm votes in the 2000 presidential election than with what was good for the environment.

"It is not a good policy to have these massive subsidies for first-generation ethanol," Gore said at a green energy conference in Athens, Greece, according to Reuters. First generation refers to the most basic, energy-intensive process of converting corn to ethanol for use as a motor vehicle fuel additive.

On reflection, Gore said the energy conversion ratios -- how much energy is produced in the process -- "are at best very small." "One of the reasons I made that mistake is that I paid particular attention to the farmers in my home state of Tennessee," he said, "and I had a certain fondness for the farmers in the state of Iowa because I was about to run for president.".

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/11/23/al-gore-mea-culpa-support-for-corn-based-ethanol-was-a-mistake/

diverdog
5/9/2013, 09:21 AM
Damn I am loving me some oillies right now. Mom just told me they are drilling on their other farm.

Petro-Sooner
5/9/2013, 10:33 AM
Damn I am loving me some oillies right now. Mom just told me they are drilling on their other farm.

If you don't mind me asking where abouts?

diverdog
5/9/2013, 10:49 AM
If you don't mind me asking where abouts?

Kingfisher county, one to one and half miles north of Lacy OK. The first well does not look promissing but I do not know how fracking works. They drilled 18 holes and put a million gallons of water in. Apparently, the had to add gas to pressurize the well. Right now they are pumping out water and sludge. They are saying they will know something in another few weeks. The second well is very close to the first. Mom is concerned this guy is young and may not know what he is doing.