PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M's Kyle Field to hold 102,500

Mazeppa
5/1/2013, 07:16 PM
Is this stadium envy?

Texas A&M's Kyle Field to hold 102,500
The Associated Press

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) -- Texas A&M's Kyle Field will become the largest stadium in the Southeastern Conference after university regents approved a $450 million redevelopment plan.
The stadium's capacity will increase from 82,589 to 102,500 in the expansion, making it just larger than Tennessee's Neyland Stadium's 102,455.
The renovation will began after the 2013 football season and should be finished for the 2015 season. The team will play in the stadium during the project, which calls for various improvements, suites and premium seating in a facility that opened in 1927.
The project will be funded by donations, seat licenses, student fees and ticket revenue, as well as a preferred facilities agreement between the Bryan-College Station convention and visitors bureau that will use hotel and tax revenue for the next 30 years.

Ruf/Nek7
5/1/2013, 07:59 PM
I think a&m has a small complexity of some sort. They made up conf. and national championships for petes sake.

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 08:11 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YWAdaS8HVdg/Tza-Euv9PUI/AAAAAAAAAv8/HGHxNiH-0aA/s1600/Lipstickpig.jpeg

Mazeppa
5/1/2013, 08:45 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/29ma9fd.jpg

badger
5/1/2013, 08:46 PM
Texas A&M had trouble getting the current stadium filled before Johnny Football, who will likely be gone by the time stadium expansion is complete.

Being S-E-C will wear off like new car smell, especially when they start charging S-E-C ticket prices for the nosebleed seats and the S-E-C-quality non-conference opponents like they're playing Alabama or something (which they may not every season with the S-E-C now at 14 teams).

Aggie just still has that burning desire to beat Texas, don't they. WELL TOO BAD YOU'RE NEVER HAVING BONFIRE ON CAMPUS EVER AGAIN

Mazeppa
5/1/2013, 08:52 PM
All that stadium expansion will not buy them into the elite of college football, some teams are and some will never be.

8timechamps
5/1/2013, 10:24 PM
When the honeymoon ends (and it will), A&M will be left with a mammoth stadium they can't fill and a wall full of fake championships. So, pretty much back to the norm.

EatLeadCommie
5/1/2013, 10:47 PM
They were talking about doing this before going to the SEC. It ramped up once they bolted, and last year's success pretty much solidified it.

thecrimsoncrusader
5/2/2013, 07:24 AM
They're forgetting the part where Coach Sumlin will leave that dump for a better program not too far down the road. Then they will have an even bigger empty stadium.

Ruf/Nek7
5/2/2013, 07:46 AM
Let's hope they renovate their stadium better than they build bonfires. :nonchalance: (too insensitive?)

badger
5/2/2013, 08:34 AM
Let's hope they renovate their stadium better than they build bonfires. :nonchalance: (too insensitive?)

Watch yourself. Internet aggies are probably already finding your IP address so they can boycott your business/get you fired/chant S-E-C in your face.

tycat947
5/2/2013, 08:47 AM
They're forgetting the part where Coach Sumlin will leave that dump for a better program not too far down the road. Then they will have an even bigger empty stadium.

Agreed! If he's successful, he'll be gone soon. I'm guessing NFL but if he's not successful, this will be a big mistake IMO. Of course, they can always fill it with their cult meetings!

picasso
5/2/2013, 10:00 AM
More room for Gomer.

PrideMom
5/2/2013, 10:10 AM
It is one of the UGLIEST stadiums I have gone to. Even Baylor's smaller stadium is nicer. Texas A&M just surprised the SEC last year, and the QB will not be there forever, and TA&M will go back to where they always have been a mediocre program with weird traditions........

Mac94
5/2/2013, 11:29 AM
Awwww ... you guys miss us ;)

badger
5/2/2013, 11:32 AM
Awwww ... you guys miss us ;)

Admittedly, it was nice to have a crazy member of the conference that underachieved but still had that sense of Texas arrogance. Tech, Baylor, TCU and Texas just don't fit, because nobody can out-crazy Aggie.

Herr Scholz
5/2/2013, 11:33 AM
Can't wait for their fans to complain about ticket prices and use that as an excuse for them tarping off completely empty sections during games.

SicEmBaylor
5/2/2013, 11:38 AM
Can't wait for their fans to complain about ticket prices and use that as an excuse for them tarping off completely empty sections during games.

It's pretty pathetic when a school has to tarp off large sections of its stadium.

Oh...wait....

Mac94
5/2/2013, 11:43 AM
because nobody can out-crazy Aggie

such flattery, I'm touched ;)

Mac94
5/2/2013, 11:45 AM
It's pretty pathetic when a school has to tarp off large sections of its stadium.

Oh...wait....

That good old Baylor line
We're 40 points behind
We're gonna lose another game
Our teams a waste of time!

;)

badger
5/2/2013, 11:55 AM
That good old Baylor line
We're 40 points behind
We're gonna lose another game
Our teams a waste of time!

;)

I still can't believe you all chose Kentucky and Vanderbilt over some of your longtime rivals. But oh boy, we still get to play MISSOURI and we get to start playing ARKANSAS again!
http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/FAT-NAKED-ARKANSAS-FAN.gif

TheHumanAlphabet
5/2/2013, 12:30 PM
Good for them.

tycat947
5/2/2013, 12:46 PM
Admittedly, it was nice to have a crazy member of the conference that underachieved but still had that sense of Texas arrogance. Tech, Baylor, TCU and Texas just don't fit, because nobody can out-crazy Aggie.

We still have Hypocrite U as cra cra, unfortunately!!!

Mac94
5/2/2013, 01:12 PM
I still can't believe you all chose Kentucky and Vanderbilt over some of your longtime rivals. But oh boy, we still get to play MISSOURI and we get to start playing ARKANSAS again!

Honestly ... we really are down one game. We lose the history of Baylor, Tech, and Texas but resume with old SWC foe Arkansas (69 meetings) and pick back up with LSU (51 meetings). LSU was our second biggest rival back when I was at A&M. It was LSU ealry, Texas late ... kinda like OU had Texas early and Nebraska late back in the Big-8 days. And speaking for myself ... those two games easily trump Tech and Baylor. So that leaves Texas ... and honestly ... my guess is that game will return in a decade or so once Dodds has retired and tie has healed some wounds.

SicEmBaylor
5/2/2013, 01:17 PM
Honestly ... we really are down one game. We lose the history of Baylor, Tech, and Texas but resume with old SWC foe Arkansas (69 meetings) and pick back up with LSU (51 meetings). LSU was our second biggest rival back when I was at A&M. It was LSU ealry, Texas late ... kinda like OU had Texas early and Nebraska late back in the Big-8 days. And speaking for myself ... those two games easily trump Tech and Baylor. So that leaves Texas ... and honestly ... my guess is that game will return in a decade or so once Dodds has retired and tie has healed some wounds.
It's cute that you think that bowtie wearing buffoon is going to still be around in a decade and not working as an assistant manager at the Bryan Jiffy Lube (a step up from Aggie President to be sure but stil....)

Mac94
5/2/2013, 01:20 PM
LoL ... should have said time ... not tie. But that's funny. ;)

SicEmBaylor
5/2/2013, 01:22 PM
LoL ... should have said time ... not tie. But that's funny. ;)
lol, I actually did not realize that was a typo.

cleller
5/2/2013, 02:45 PM
When the honeymoon ends (and it will), A&M will be left with a mammoth stadium they can't fill and a wall full of fake championships. So, pretty much back to the norm.

Hope you're right there, but I don't rule out the possibility that Sumlin could ride this wave higher.

8timechamps
5/2/2013, 03:10 PM
Hope you're right there, but I don't rule out the possibility that Sumlin could ride this wave higher.

Unfortunately, I think Sumlin will be there for a while. The SEC has been THE conference lately (and rightly so), but anyone that has been around college football longer than 10 years knows that it's a cyclical game. Sooner or later (no pun intended), the pendulum will swing the other way, and the SEC won't be nearly as sexy.

For all the excitement and sex appeal that A&M has now, they really haven't done anything other than beat Bama and OU. No conference championship, no national championship. It's fun when your team beats a couple of the big boys, but if that's all you can do, it'll grow old. Look at the Sooner fan base, most of us consider last year a disappointment. Think about how many team would love to have had just one 10 win season. Bottom line is if A&M can't strike while the iron is hot, they're in danger of sinking back into the quicksand. The difference now is that sinking into the SEC quicksand is a lot less forgivable than what the A&M fans were used to. Even in a down year, the Aggies could scrape together 4 or 5 conference wins. A mediocre team in the SEC is lucky to get 2.

NCSooner18
5/2/2013, 03:19 PM
I read/heard a great line (probably here) about there "traditions" but can't remember the last part. Maybe someone remembers. "They don't have traditions, they have _________"

Ruf/Nek7
5/3/2013, 02:22 PM
Watch yourself. Internet aggies are probably already finding your IP address so they can boycott your business/get you fired/chant S-E-C in your face.

OR WORSE......RED SPEKS GALORE!!!!!:hororr:

Ruf/Nek7
5/3/2013, 02:24 PM

A billboard just went up by my house...dang

badger
5/3/2013, 02:24 PM
I read/heard a great line (probably here) about there "traditions" but can't remember the last part. Maybe someone remembers. "They don't have traditions, they have _________"

You're thinking more of "They don't have ______, they have _____," as in, "They don't have cheerleaders, they have yell leaders." "They don't have cheers, they have yells." "They don't have balls because they squeezed them too much during football games. They have absence of balls."

...if I get banned for that last one, it's been fun guys

picasso
5/3/2013, 05:08 PM
Sumlin will be there until he gets fired. Coaches look really good when they win the lottery with a QB.

Sabanball
5/3/2013, 07:03 PM

You guys don't up your game then I'd be more worried about what's going on in Austin than a stadium upgrade in College Station if I were you.

trwxxa
5/3/2013, 08:41 PM
Sumlin will be there until he gets fired. Coaches look really good when they win the lottery with a QB.

Sumlin has had pretty good success with QBs during his career as a head coach and assistant coach

Sabanball
5/3/2013, 10:03 PM
Sumlin could not have made a better first impression in the SEC last yr, IMO. Add to that he' s recruiting off the chain and has the full support of the university that's fully committed to competing in the SEC facilities arms race. I think he could be there longer than some of you think...

Blue
5/3/2013, 10:10 PM
Sumlin could not have made a better first impression in the SEC last yr, IMO. He's recruiting off the chain and has the full support of the university that's fully committed to competing in the SEC facilities arms race.

I can't describe how much I loathe your posts on this board. Despite who you might be or what you might be about.

You are a pompous **** as far as I'm concerned. Go back to Tidefans and wallow in your false affirmations of stuff you yourself never accomplished.

Your signature proves what a massive doosh you are.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/3/2013, 11:56 PM
When the honeymoon ends (and it will), A&M will be left with a mammoth stadium they can't fill...reminds me of the Light Rail and continuing Light Rail expansion program we have here in the city of Phoenix.

5/4/2013, 12:05 AM
I can't describe how much I loathe your posts on this board. Despite who you might be or what you might be about.

You are a pompous **** as far as I'm concerned. Go back to Tidefans and wallow in your false affirmations of stuff you yourself never accomplished.

Your signature proves what a massive doosh you are.oh, woops...

Blue
5/4/2013, 12:07 AM
oh, woops...

You don't agree?

5/4/2013, 01:41 AM
You don't agree?I wanted it reread, in case it wasn't internalized the first time.

budbarrybob
5/4/2013, 09:50 AM
You guys don't up your game then I'd be more worried about what's going on in Austin than a stadium upgrade in College Station if I were you.

What's the new interwebs version of "Burn!"?
Whatever it is insert it here:_______________

picasso
5/4/2013, 11:05 AM
Sumlin has had pretty good success with QBs during his career as a head coach and assistant coach

True. But he also has had good fortune with Keenum and the kid from Deliverance.

MyT Oklahoma
5/5/2013, 12:35 PM
102,500 what? Aggies? Poor Aggies? Both?

Really, as in seriously?

Golly........

Mazeppa
5/5/2013, 08:09 PM
True. But he also has had good fortune with Keenum and the kid from Deliverance.

http://i40.tinypic.com/687x8l.jpg

Herr Scholz
5/6/2013, 11:02 AM
We still fill our 100K+ stadium every game. There will be entirely empty sections of the redone Kyle when they're playing the Div II directional schools of the world. Watch.

King Crimson
5/6/2013, 11:32 AM
We still fill our 100K+ stadium every game. There will be entirely empty sections of the redone Kyle when they're playing the Div II directional schools of the world. Watch.

you do right now, but a couple 6-6 seasons and there will be some empties. you guys didn't even fill the Erwin Center with Ford, Alrdridge, Durant....every time.

games are on TV these days...people stay home.

good luck to the Aggies, i think it's a penis thing more than realistic.

i love the Aggies, they are the best unintentional humor in CFB. they whipped our *** in the Cotton Bowl....but who cares?

as someone else said, all respect to the players on the team last year...but last year is pretty second tier for OU fan. we lost at home twice. the comeback wins were nice to close out the Jones era....but, still. second helpings.

King Crimson
5/6/2013, 11:33 AM
double post. groan.

badger
5/6/2013, 11:43 AM
I saw the expansion video on their athletic site. It seems to be something to appease the money Ags more than just an outright expansion. The "stadium" seems to be something that they can use to cut themselves off from the poors and riff raff and sip tea and smoke cigars in... wait, don't they call whorns "tea sips?" lol the irony

King Crimson
5/6/2013, 11:45 AM
http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2304297&forum_id=5

ags are dumb, look at this...so obviously a troll job. and they suck it up....morons.

an alleged Alabama fan is telling the Ags they are the next great super power.....puhlease?

edit: raylan is prolly a UK fan that watches justified...no?

Herr Scholz
5/6/2013, 11:47 AM
you do right now, but a couple 6-6 seasons and there will be some empties.
I highly doubt it. The greater Austin area is pushing 2 million people and we had a 5-7 season 3 years ago. There are always people who will go to support UT football. We're the most profitable athletic dept in the country due to donations and ticket sales as well as leading the country for a number of years in apparel sales. College Station on the other hand is not in a metropolitan area. You have to plan to go there and people simply don't for lesser opponents. They've been struggling with that for the past 2 decades with a much smaller stadium. Especially after Johnny Nightclub leaves and the SEC new car smell wears off.

you guys didn't even fill the Erwin Center with Ford, Alrdridge, Durant....every time.
The Erwin Center blows. And its 16K+ is hard to fill in a football state in general every single game. That's a different animal altogether.

badger
5/6/2013, 11:59 AM
I highly doubt it. The greater Austin area is pushing 2 million people and we had a 5-7 season 3 years ago. There are always people who will go to support UT football. We're the most profitable athletic dept in the country due to donations and ticket sales as well as leading the country for a number of years in apparel sales.

Maybe this is part of the problem... your fans will turn out for a sh!tty inferior product. Your fans will donate en masse and buy t-shirts en masse for losing teams or mid-tier bowl bound teams. Futurama might have made it famous, but you guys must have started "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQISgWx_-Yw)" :)

It's not necessarily a bad thing. You guys are seen as loyal in tough times and OU gets to continue winning the Big 12 and RRS.

5/6/2013, 02:33 PM
Maybe this is part of the problem... your fans will turn out for a sh!tty inferior product. Your fans will donate en masse and buy t-shirts en masse for losing teams or mid-tier bowl bound teams. Futurama might have made it famous, but you guys must have started "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQISgWx_-Yw)" :)

It's not necessarily a bad thing. You guys are seen as loyal in tough times...It's about Coach Brown. He's such a good guy, and so it's understandable the good people of whorn will follow him anywhere, for whatever reason. Long live his fame, long live is glory, and long may his story be told!

picasso
5/6/2013, 03:00 PM
Give them time. In a couple of years aTm will be the finest Texas program in the SEC.

Herr Scholz
5/6/2013, 03:22 PM
Give them time. In a couple of years aTm will be the finest Texas program in the SEC.

Heh.