PDA

View Full Version : If the NFL's Redskins were to be renamed, what would be a fitting name?

ouwasp
5/1/2013, 03:06 PM
The RGIII thread caused me to wonder about this, and figured it to be worth its own thread. Didn't wish to hijack the other. Also wasn't sure where to post this, but figured the Obamafest seems to be pretty safe.

So let's hear your suggestions, whether they be feasible, politically incorrect, whatever.

The NFL Team based in Washington DC should be called the ____________.

jkjsooner
5/1/2013, 03:20 PM
Indians, Warriors, etc.

I don't have a problem with those and you can keep most of the logos, etc.

I'm not much on the PC crap when it comes to this. Many Native American communities in Oklahoma have similar mascots. But Redskins is an offensive term. They should have changed it a long time ago.

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 03:22 PM
Savages

badger
5/1/2013, 03:39 PM
I actually really liked the suggested name by the DC city leaders "Redtails." However, I also think that I don't get a vote in the matter.

PETA once tried to pressure my beloved Packers into changing their nickname because it referred to a meat packing company that once sponsored the team... I think they paid for uniforms or something. Anyways, the company is gone but the name stuck. PETA suggestd sh!tty names like "6 Packers" and "Hackers" or "Quackers" and they were roundly ignored.

If the Redskins do have to change their name, I hope it's to something that doesn't totally suck. And there's a precedent for DC franchise name changes, so it's not totally unheard of (Washington Wizards were Washington Bullets when I was in grade school).

jkjsooner
5/1/2013, 03:40 PM
Okay, SicEm, you found another term that is offensive.

I know people are going to put the PC label on me but I think the term "Redskins" crosses the line and objecting to it is not like objecting to other terms. Even dictionaries refer to it as an offensive term.

I'd suggest someone try to name their team "Blackies" or "Blackskins" and let's see how well that goes over.

Note: My oldest brother's little league team back in the '60s was called the "Coons". We laugh about it now but I have to think that it was short for Racoons. What I don't get is why they didn't use our school name. It was a small town and we always used our school colors and name...

jkjsooner
5/1/2013, 03:43 PM
I actually really liked the suggested name by the DC city leaders "Redtails." However, I also think that I don't get a vote in the matter.

PETA once tried to pressure my beloved Packers into changing their nickname because it referred to a meat packing company that once sponsored the team...

Surely you see the difference though, right?

If the Redskins do have to change their name, I hope it's to something that doesn't totally suck. And there's a precedent for DC franchise name changes, so it's not totally unheard of (Washington Wizards were Washington Bullets when I was in grade school).

You make me feel old. They were still Bullets when I moved to DC in '94.

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 03:51 PM
Anyone who is offended by a term like "Redskins" is an limp-wristed idiot.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/1/2013, 03:51 PM
Ruling Class

SoonerorLater
5/1/2013, 03:54 PM
Okay, SicEm, you found another term that is offensive.

I know people are going to put the PC label on me but I think the term "Redskins" crosses the line and objecting to it is not like objecting to other terms. Even dictionaries refer to it as an offensive term.

I'd suggest someone try to name their team "Blackies" or "Blackskins" and let's see how well that goes over.

Note: My oldest brother's little league team back in the '60s was called the "Coons". We laugh about it now but I have to think that it was short for Racoons. What I don't get is why they didn't use our school name. It was a small town and we always used our school colors and name...

They have had this name since the 1930's. To my knowledge this hasn't harmed native americans in any way. The team name has become such a part of sports lexicon that it really bears little semblance to a racial indentifier. Whenever somebody says Redskins nobody thinks about an indian tribe they just think about a football team. They can call their team whatever they want but I hate to see people cave to political pressure.

Jacie
5/1/2013, 03:56 PM
The mascot name of the high school I worked at used to be Red Raiders. To make it more pc (15% of the student body are Native Americans, after all), the Red was dropped. However, hanging conspicuously in the front office was a banner from the old days, belonging to the school secretary (and if you have never worked in a school, the secretary sometimes wields as much power as the principal) showing an Indian head in profile sporting a full headdress and Red Raiders across the bottom edge. I am sure they were just biding time till she retired to take her banner down should she leave it but no one had balls to ask her to take it down while she was there.

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 03:57 PM
NSU in Tahlequah (about 15 minutes from my hometown) was a predominantly injun college right smack dab in the middle of the capital of the Cherokee Nation. The NCAA made them change the name but I'm unaware of any movement from within the school demanding a change of name from the Redmen to the Riverhawks.

If they aren't offended then a bunch of bozos with white-guilt shouldn't be either.

badger
5/1/2013, 03:57 PM
Surely you see the difference though, right?
There's probably not much difference in the Redskin fanbase's eyes. They're basically being forced by outsiders, non-fans, into changing themselves for a reason they don't agree with. Native Americans are probably rolling their eyes too, because a small group (5 filed the suit) are trying to speak for everyone. I wonder if this is how blacks feel when Jesse Jackson speaks?

You make me feel old. They were still Bullets when I moved to DC in '94.

I don't remember the exact year it changed. It might have been high school by then. Still, "Wizards?" Before Harry Potter? Fans must have been very "meh," but at least they eventually got some years of MJ outta it

olevetonahill
5/1/2013, 03:58 PM
Call em the " Brown Scalpers"

okie52
5/1/2013, 04:10 PM
In 2004, a poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania had a similar result to the Sports Illustrated poll's findings, concluding that 91% of the 768 American Indians surveyed in the 48 states on the mainland USA found the name "Redskins" acceptable.[80]

PC doesn't care what Native Americans think.

Bourbon St Sooner
5/1/2013, 04:26 PM
An appropriate name for a team in DC? Leaches (Not the pirate), Vampires, Scum sucking Toads.

Those are just right off the top of my head.

5/1/2013, 04:28 PM
PC doesn't care what Native Americans think.I remember the Seminoles in FL fought attempts to rename the mascot of FSU. At least for now the Seminloes have won that battle.

ouwasp
5/1/2013, 05:51 PM
The Cavalry, those famed conquerors of the West...

OU_Sooners75
5/1/2013, 05:58 PM
Washington Cotton pickers?
Washington Tobacco Farmers?
Washington Fightin Baracks!

okie52
5/1/2013, 06:11 PM
I remember the Seminoles in FL fought attempts to rename the mascot of FSU. At least for they the Seminloes have won that battle.

I think that FSU wanted to keep the name and the Seminoles were happy to oblige them.

okie52
5/1/2013, 06:12 PM
The Washington Savages.

5/1/2013, 06:32 PM
The Takers

yermom
5/1/2013, 07:12 PM
the only way changing the name makes sense is if they move the team.

i hate PC BS like this.

who else are the Cowboys supposed to hate? :D

KABOOKIE
5/1/2013, 07:25 PM
One percenters

5/1/2013, 08:24 PM
One percentersNOW it's happnin'!

jkjsooner
5/1/2013, 09:40 PM
I remember the Seminoles in FL fought attempts to rename the mascot of FSU. At least for now the Seminloes have won that battle.

I don't mind the name but I was a little irritated that at first the larger Oklahoma Seminole tribe wasn't asked as if those who were forced to relocate are second class Seminoles.

Anyway, if Indians are okay with the Redskins name then fine. I wouldn't go strictly on majority though. If 60% are meh and 40% are offended then you err on being less offensive.

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 09:55 PM
Anyway, if Indians are okay with the Redskins name then fine. I wouldn't go strictly on majority though. If 60% are meh and 40% are offended then you err on being less offensive.

This is a ridiculous statement.

Blue
5/1/2013, 10:07 PM
Crooks...
Homos...
Soulless...
Predators...
Dooshes
Sociopaths...

OUmillenium
5/1/2013, 10:11 PM
Savages

Bah! Beat me to it!

OUmillenium
5/1/2013, 10:16 PM
I don't agree with all the PC.

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 10:18 PM
How about renaming them the "After Thousands of Years Our People Still Didn't Progress Beyond Loin Cloths Until the White Man Came and Now We Take Advantage of all the Creature Comforts They Are Responsible for Giving Us."

That probably doesn't roll off the tongue as well as Redskins, so let's just leave it at Redskins.

ouwasp
5/1/2013, 10:29 PM
The Food Stamp Stampede!

Blue
5/1/2013, 10:34 PM
How about renaming them the "After Thousands of Years Our People Still Didn't Progress Beyond Loin Cloths Until the White Man Came and Now We Take Advantage of all the Creature Comforts They Are Responsible for Giving Us."

That probably doesn't roll off the tongue as well as Redskins, so let's just leave it at Redskins.

/END THREAD/ Bahahaha!

jkjsooner
5/1/2013, 10:38 PM
This is a ridiculous statement.

Just extending the 40% hypothetical...

So you think it's okay to deeply offend 40% of the population?

Hey, the Redskins can do whatever they like so long as the NFL agrees. Nobody has a constitutional right not to be offended. I just don't happen to think it's a very ethical decision to offend 40% of the population.

If I walked in a room and said fat girls are ugly and they stink, even if 60% of fat girls were not offended that doesn't make it a morally acceptable action.

You aren't seriously arguing that in matters of ethics a popular vote determines right and wrong do you? This isn't a presidential election.

olevetonahill
5/1/2013, 10:43 PM

Hey, the Redskins can do whatever they like so long as the NFL agrees. Nobody has a constitutional right not to be offended. I just don't happen to think it's a very ethical decision to offend 40% of the population. (Not saying 40% are offended but I'm saying if they were offended...)

If I walked in a room and said fat girls are ugly and they stink. Even if 60% of fat girls were not offended that doesn't make it a morally acceptable action.

Might not make it Morally acceptable But The truth IS the truth.

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 10:44 PM

Hey, the Redskins can do whatever they like so long as the NFL agrees. Nobody has a constitutional right not to be offended. I just don't happen to think it's a very ethical decision to offend 40% of the population. (Not saying 40% are offended but I'm saying if they were offended...)

If I walked in a room and said fat girls are ugly and they stink. Even if 60% of fat girls were not offended that doesn't make it a morally acceptable action.

I think it's absolutely insane to manufacture fake outrage over something like the long-time name of a sports team that is certainly not intended to offend. It's even more insane to dump tradition because some arbitrary percentage of the population has been convinced they should be offended by something.

Blue
5/1/2013, 10:45 PM

I'm sure the 50% or so of you pussies who voted for Obama are offended. Go ahead and change it.

How do you operate in life being offended by every single thing? Your poor little sensiblities...

Blue
5/1/2013, 10:47 PM
Might not make it Morally acceptable But The truth IS the truth.

Maybe translate that thought to your Gay thread? except it would be morally acceptable.

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 10:50 PM
Let me say this, if New York had a baseball team named "The Rebel Traitor Killers" that had been around since the days of the AOTP then I wouldn't be picketing, bitching, and demanding they change the name just to placate my sensibilities.

jkjsooner
5/1/2013, 10:50 PM
I think it's absolutely insane to manufacture fake outrage over something like the long-time name of a sports team that is certainly not intended to offend. It's even more insane to dump tradition because some arbitrary percentage of the population has been convinced they should be offended by something.

You just changed the subject. We weren't delving into a discussion on whether they were truly offended or just convinced that they should be offended.

You implied that a popular vote is sufficient to determine the ethical path ahead. I think that is a truly sad and absurd way to view things.

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 10:51 PM
You just changed the subject. We weren't delving into a discussion on whether they were truly offended or just convinced that they should be offended.

You implied that a popular vote is sufficient to determine the ethical path ahead. I think that is a truly sad and absurd way to view things.
I didn't say any such thing. That's what you said, and I was responding to that assertion by saying it's ridiculous.

jkjsooner
5/1/2013, 10:53 PM
I'm sure the 50% or so of you pussies who voted for Obama are offended. Go ahead and change it.

How do you operate in life being offended by every single thing? Your poor little sensiblities...

I'm not offended by everything. Frankly I don't care that much. I just think the term Redskins is on a whole different level than most other native American mascot names because the term is considered an offensive term. If Indians like it then fine.

Blue
5/1/2013, 10:54 PM
I'm not offended by everything. Frankly I don't care that much. I just think the term Redskins is on a whole different level than most other native American mascot names because the term is considered an offensive term. If Indians like it then fine.

Well I've got 1/128th Indian blood and i love it. :D

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 10:54 PM

There is no such thing as 'Native Americans.' Indians are no more native to N. America than any other humans are including Europeans.

jkjsooner
5/1/2013, 10:55 PM
I didn't say any such thing. That's what you said, and I was responding to that assertion by saying it's ridiculous.

I guess I'm lost. You quoted the part I said about 40% being offended and said that was absurd. I thought you called it absurd because the majority wasn't offended and that's all that should matter. Maybe I misunderstood...

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 10:57 PM
I guess I'm lost. You quoted the part I said about 40% being offended and said that was absurd. I thought you called it absurd because the majority wasn't offended and that's all that should matter. Maybe I misunderstood...
Ohhhh....no you misunderstood. I meant that it's absurd to base a decision like changing long standing tradition because some arbitrary % of people have been convinced they're offended.

jkjsooner
5/1/2013, 11:03 PM
/
There is no such thing as 'Native Americans.' Indians are no more native to N. America than any other humans are including Europeans.

Seriously? Is that discussion really necessary in this thread?

Native American is a hell of a lot more relevant than a misnomer given to them by people who thought they were in India. Frankly, where I live and work there are a lot of people from India and calling our Indians Native Americans is a hell of a lot less confusing.

Anyway we might as well remove the term "native" from the dictionary since according to your logic about the only thing any of us are is native Africans.

Maybe the Redskins should change their name to the Red Dots. It keeps "Red" in the name, keeps the Indian theme, and would actually be much more representative of the local population.

And, no, I don't actually think that would actually be appropriate.

diverdog
5/1/2013, 11:48 PM
/

Seriously? Is that discussion really necessary in this thread?

Native American is a hell of a lot more relevant than a misnomer given to them by people who thought they were in India. Frankly, where I live and work there are a lot of people from India and calling our Indians Native Americans is a hell of a lot less confusing.

Anyway we might as well remove the term "native" from the dictionary since according to your logic about the only thing any of us are is native Africans.

Maybe the Redskins should change their name to the Red Dots. It keeps "Red" in the name, keeps the Indian theme, and would actually be much more representative of the local population.

And, no, I don't actually think that would actually be appropriate.

oh I am going straight to hell for this one. How about they go truly offensive and call themselves the Sand Ni***rs?

olevetonahill
5/2/2013, 12:17 AM
oh I am going straight to hell for this one. How about they go truly offensive and call themselves the Sand Ni***rs?

Why? are they Dune Coons?

diverdog
5/2/2013, 12:33 AM

Naw, I figure if you want to really offend the PC crowd (which I hate) you might as well go for broke.

SicEmBaylor
5/2/2013, 12:34 AM
Jihadi Jigs?

5/2/2013, 12:35 AM
yea baby!

back to the thread theme:

The Destruction!

Soonerjeepman
5/2/2013, 07:34 AM
how about ...

Washington Redcoats, considering the political climate...I'd consider most of the congress and executive branch traitors right now.

Soonerjeepman
5/2/2013, 07:40 AM

umm...confused.. thought that referred to Towel Heads, Camel Jockeys...etc? thought we were focused on Indians, feather not dot?...that could be another name...

Red Feathers..

SoonerAtKU
5/2/2013, 12:00 PM
So this is the thread where we get to let out all the things we want to say to people we hate every day but can't for fear of getting our asses kicked?

I'm going to have a quick think about what I can say about work stuff.

Soonerjeepman
5/2/2013, 12:13 PM
lol...the biggest elephant in the room...

call me cracker, honky, ...whatever other words demeaning to Euro-Americans...don't bother me.

olevetonahill
5/2/2013, 12:24 PM

call me cracker, honky, ...whatever other words demeaning to Euro-Americans...don't bother me.

Hell, Pizs em ALL off, Call em the Washington WHITE men

SicEmBaylor
5/2/2013, 12:48 PM
So this is the thread where we get to let out all the things we want to say to people we hate every day but can't for fear of getting our asses kicked?

I'm going to have a quick think about what I can say about work stuff.
Who said anything about hate?

jkjsooner
5/2/2013, 12:58 PM

Those terms don't bother me either. But then again there's not a history of those terms being associated with slavery and oppression.

And don't get all riled up because slavery hasn't existed in 150 years. I agree that we should get over it and move on but that doesn't mean that certain terms that are associated with the white domination of the black race are now fair game.

Edit: If we're still on the native American theme then ignore what I said about slavery.

5/2/2013, 01:03 PM
Who said anything about hate?No kidding! It's just about suitable names for a Washington DC sports franchise. Which names capture the spirit and images of Washington?

5/2/2013, 01:38 PM
The Deceivers

Turd_Ferguson
5/2/2013, 02:08 PM
***** *** libs...buncha damn plonkers they are.

TitoMorelli
5/2/2013, 03:25 PM
wtf is a redtail anyway?

SicEmBaylor
5/2/2013, 03:26 PM
A tail that is the color red, ywia.

ouwasp
5/2/2013, 03:33 PM
Redtails were some of those Tuskegee Airmen from WWII. Part of the tail of their fighter planes were painted red.

SoonerStormchaser
5/2/2013, 03:33 PM
The Washington Rapists

ouwasp
5/2/2013, 03:35 PM
The Deceivers

My pick for the winning post.

Soonerjeepman
5/2/2013, 03:39 PM
Those terms don't bother me either. But then again there's not a history of those terms being associated with slavery and oppression.

And don't get all riled up because slavery hasn't existed in 150 years. I agree that we should get over it and move on but that doesn't mean that certain terms that are associated with the white domination of the black race are now fair game.

Edit: If we're still on the native American theme then ignore what I said about slavery.

jk, not riled up...lol. I just think EVERY person thinks those thoughts at SOME time. I try to point out to my students that when they call each other ni**er then what is anyone else who isn't black suppose to think? I've been on plenty of bball courts (I've been the only cracker~) and been told many times to "get on that nigg*s a$$" while I was guarding them...quite the experience...lol.

SoonerAtKU
5/2/2013, 03:40 PM
Who said anything about hate?

Fair enough. How about "People we think we're superior to because of their race"?

Does that cover it for you? Am I putting too fine a point on it now? I'm saying it's getting real uncomfortable around here, like when the Klan relaxes enough to take their hoods off.

5/2/2013, 05:16 PM
The Deceivers

My pick for the winning post.Why thank you!

My other offerings:
The Takers
The Destruction(Destroyers?) .

I also liked "The One Percenters", offered by KABOOKIE

The Shell Gamers could also work.

SicEmBaylor
5/2/2013, 05:30 PM
Fair enough. How about "People we think we're superior to because of their race"?

Does that cover it for you? Am I putting too fine a point on it now? I'm saying it's getting real uncomfortable around here, like when the Klan relaxes enough to take their hoods off.

That's a bit better.

5/2/2013, 05:31 PM
the Assault Weapons

SicEmBaylor
5/2/2013, 05:37 PM
The Taxers.

ouwasp
5/2/2013, 05:42 PM
Heck, why not The Wasps...as a wasp, I would be proud to see my heritage honored by the NFL.

5/2/2013, 06:13 PM
the Revenuers
the G-Men

olevetonahill
5/2/2013, 06:14 PM
the Revenuers

Them bastards,:very_drunk:

olevetonahill
5/2/2013, 10:13 PM
Seems 80% of Americans say DONT change the name.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-poll-finds-widespread-support-171947850.html

5/3/2013, 01:13 AM
The Politicos

5/3/2013, 01:24 AM
The SCALPERS

BermudaSooner
5/3/2013, 12:07 PM
The Washington Filibusters

5/3/2013, 01:21 PM
The Bandits or
The Banditos

OU68
5/3/2013, 02:15 PM
The Washington We're superior to you because we were here before you, but then you f**ked us over and took everything, but we're getting it back with our casinos, hahaha ---- nah, wouldn't fit on a helmet.