PDA

View Full Version : Top 25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods in America ( N Tulsa makes the list)

ouwasp
5/1/2013, 11:43 AM
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/25-most-dangerous-neighborhoods/

Wonder what attributes these neighborhoods have in common?

olevetonahill
5/1/2013, 11:46 AM
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/25-most-dangerous-neighborhoods/

I bet its Cheap bars.

BillyBall
5/1/2013, 11:50 AM
Im shocked that Chicago only has 4.

Midtowner
5/1/2013, 11:55 AM
Been to #23 once... pulled off of I-40 nearly out of gas at about 3 AM. Had a rock of crystal meth offered to me by a disgusting looking creature within seconds of starting to fill up. I then had an individual ask me for $5 since he just got out of jail. Then we spied a rather large group of young men headed towards us. I pulled the gas nozzle out of my car, spraying gas all over the place, got everyone in the car and got out of there as individuals from the group actually put their hands on my car...it was kind of like a zombie attack.

It was there where I figured out for the first time that there really are folks out there with absolutely no hope or even an understanding about what it takes to survive in the real world. They operate as criminals and welfare recipients because that's all they know or will ever know. No one bothered to teach them that work can lead to a better life. I firmly believe that if the social "safety net," which might as well be called social services culture was ever pulled out from under these folks, they would be faced with the choice of starving vs. stealing/crime in order to eat. If you saw that strung out lady who offered me the crystal meth or the group of youths approaching us, there's not one of 'em I could see employable in any capacity at all.

Not trying to inject politics here, but I'm not sure whether these folks are deserving of compassion, loathing, or getting money thrown at them by the middle/upper classes in an act of self-preservation, or some combination of the three.

badger
5/1/2013, 12:00 PM
I've spoken to residents of that area of Tulsa. They don't feel safe, but they don't be so unsafe that they are going to stop living there. A majority of residents are law abiding citizen. Some of these residents have ties to people that don't give a sh!t about the law or the rights of others to, you know, live and own stuff without it being taken away by others.

I would venture to guess that a majority of severe crimes in these areas are committed by the cowardly drive bys that enter to commit crimes, then run as fast as they can in the opposite direction, rather than own up to what they've done. Residents of the area don't do severe sh!t where they live, or they'd have to live with it, so to speak.

That's not to say that the residents are innocent bystanders. Some do smaller crimes (doing or dealing drugs, burglaries, assault) which leads to larger crimes committed by others out of selfish interests or revenge.

SoonerStormchaser
5/1/2013, 12:47 PM
They obviously haven't been to Honolulu

Turd_Ferguson
5/1/2013, 01:14 PM
Been to #23 once... pulled off of I-40 nearly out of gas at about 3 AM. Had a rock of crystal meth offered to me by a disgusting looking creature within seconds of starting to fill up. I then had an individual ask me for $5 since he just got out of jail. Then we spied a rather large group of young men headed towards us. I pulled the gas nozzle out of my car, spraying gas all over the place, got everyone in the car and got out of there as individuals from the group actually put their hands on my car...it was kind of like a zombie attack.

It was there where I figured out for the first time that there really are folks out there with absolutely no hope or even an understanding about what it takes to survive in the real world. They operate as criminals and welfare recipients because that's all they know or will ever know. No one bothered to teach them that work can lead to a better life. I firmly believe that if the social "safety net," which might as well be called social services culture was ever pulled out from under these folks, they would be faced with the choice of starving vs. stealing/crime in order to eat. If you saw that strung out lady who offered me the crystal meth or the group of youths approaching us, there's not one of 'em I could see employable in any capacity at all.

Not trying to inject politics here, but I'm not sure whether these folks are deserving of compassion, loathing, or getting money thrown at them by the middle/upper classes in an act of self-preservation, or some combination of the three.

Ain't no gas stations open at 3 a.m. at Crump and I-240.

rock on sooner
5/1/2013, 01:34 PM

Purely guessing on my part, but Detroit has 4 of the top 7 and
Michigan has two or three more, looks like a high unemployment
rate could be a factor....

Midtowner
5/1/2013, 02:26 PM
Ain't no gas stations open at 3 a.m. at Crump and I-240.

There was a MapCo, and this was over 10 years ago.

ouwasp
5/1/2013, 02:26 PM
If the miscreants that make these neighborhoods unfit for decent people were offered one-way bus tickets to, say, Oakland... I wonder how many would take advantage of the offer? And I wonder how long it would take Oakland to reciprocate? Oakland or Miami seem to be good relocation spots for these subjects because they are a long way from Oklahoma!

Midtowner
5/1/2013, 02:29 PM
If the miscreants that make these neighborhoods unfit for decent people were offered one-way bus tickets to, say, Oakland... I wonder how many would take advantage of the offer? And I wonder how long it would take Oakland to reciprocate? Oakland or Miami seem to be good relocation spots for these subjects because they are a long way from Oklahoma!

I imagine a lot of 'em are in subsidized housing and can't afford to get on the months or years long waiting lists they probably have in Oakland.

cleller
5/2/2013, 08:11 AM
The neighborhood in Tulsa that made the list has three govt ghetto-plexes, the only real "shopping" area still in North Tulsa, plus the old "chicken shack" joint, Wilson's BBQ, and a convenience store. On top of that Washington HS/Football field/fieldhouse is also in that neighborhood.

All of these things tend to result in a lot of police calls, and they happen to be on all in one pretty small area. For instance, a fight at Washington HS or a murder at the Chicken Shack on Sat night have nothing to do with the neighborhood, but get included. People show up there to use the phone, etc and skew the stats. Very unusual to have that many call-magnets in one beat. If you avoid the ghetto-plexes, the area is no worse than any other, and actually has some of the quieter, more stable streets in North Tulsa.

Anyone remember Banfield's grocery, and the other places around Pine/Peoria many years ago? Way more active then.

Taxman71
5/2/2013, 09:26 AM
How did the athletic dorms in Stillwater not make this list?

SanJoaquinSooner
5/2/2013, 09:46 AM

I read an article this morning how a mental institution in Nevada was buying one-way bus tickets for its patients to out-of-state locations at which the patients had no family ties or living history.

The mental institution got in trouble for this.

texaspokieokie
5/2/2013, 10:10 AM
Can't be a valid list. Mostly runs from MI down to houston. Except for memphis & so car.

What about south central la.

oakland

DC

picasso
5/2/2013, 10:20 AM
My dad and I got kinda lost in Oakland in '97. Pickup with Ok tags! Believe or not a nice gentleman gave us directions. Lots of boarded up businesses and stares from drug dealer sports cars.

CobraKai
5/2/2013, 12:05 PM
Any list without any neighborhoods in Compton, Crenshaw or Watts, CA has some flawed calculations.

StoopTroup
5/2/2013, 12:08 PM
North Tulsa wasn't that bad until Dewey became Mayor.

SicEmBaylor
5/2/2013, 01:21 PM

North Tulsa was bad well before Bartlett became mayor.

picasso
5/2/2013, 05:10 PM

You're ****in kiddin right?

olevetonahill
5/2/2013, 05:13 PM
North Tulsa has been a ****hole forever.

swardboy
5/2/2013, 09:19 PM
My family moved out of north Tulsa in 1966....just in time.

StoopTroup
5/2/2013, 09:31 PM
North Tulsa has been a ****hole forever.

Wister is worse IMHO.

StoopTroup
5/2/2013, 09:32 PM
You're ****in kiddin right?

Kathy is gonna get things fixed once she's back in office.

ouwasp
5/2/2013, 09:44 PM

TPD can't stand KT... but good luck to whomever the next Tulsa mayor is... and North Tulsa too.

SicEmBaylor
5/2/2013, 09:46 PM

This would have been a more legitimate statement if you had gone with Susan Savage but alas you can't help but show off your ignorance....

olevetonahill
5/2/2013, 09:56 PM
Wister is worse IMHO.

well you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/3/2013, 02:00 AM
Wister is worse IMHO.

I understand it's only dangerous if you fall asleep drunk under the stars.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/3/2013, 02:30 AM
Any list without any neighborhoods in Compton, Crenshaw or Watts, CA has some flawed calculations.

I figure someone has to pick on peace-loving California. LA is partitioned into 272 neighborhoods to track crime and for the period Sept. 24, 2012 to March 24, 2013, Compton had a 534 violent crimes with 94,384 residents. On an annual basis that is 11.3 violent crimes per 1000 residents, compared to the North Tulsa neighborhood reported in the article to have 66.88 per 1000 residents.

http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/neighborhood/compton/crime/?q=Compton%2C+CA%2C+USA&lat=33.8958492&lng=-118.2200712&g=Geocodify

Watts had a rate of 13.2 violent crimes per 1000 residents.

http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/neighborhood/watts/crime/?q=Watts%2C+Los+Angeles%2C+CA%2C+USA&lat=33.9386361&lng=-118.2380432&g=Geocodify

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 08:11 AM

I tell ya bro the crime is so bad here. Why I even have to lock my doors some times.

StoopTroup
5/3/2013, 12:37 PM
This would have been a more legitimate statement if you had gone with Susan Savage but alas you can't help but show off your ignorance....

Ignorance. Hmmmm. She has been Mayor before and then there is this ignorance (I guess that's what you'd get from a newspaper story )

Former Tulsa Mayor Kathy Taylor endorsed by firefighters union in race for mayor
http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Former_Tulsa_Mayor_Kathy_Taylor_endorsed_by_firefi ghters/20130502_16_A11_CUTLIN348025?subj=1

BTW....I went to School with Bill LaFortune. His Cousin John and I were in the same class and as the years have gone by....we have all put childish dreams aside to help Tulsa be a better place. I voted for Bill. It was Bill that got the BOK Center built and if he'd run for Mayor again....I'd vote for him because he understands Tulsa and gives a damn about the people who live here.

Dewey has his head up his a$$.

StoopTroup
5/3/2013, 12:40 PM

Have you been there? I have. There are much better small towns that don't have as many meth addicts per inch. :D

SicEmBaylor
5/3/2013, 12:55 PM
Ignorance. Hmmmm. She has been Mayor before and then there is this ignorance (I guess that's what you'd get from a newspaper story )

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Former_Tulsa_Mayor_Kathy_Taylor_endorsed_by_firefi ghters/20130502_16_A11_CUTLIN348025?subj=1

BTW....I went to School with Bill LaFortune. His Cousin John and I were in the same class and as the years have gone by....we have all put childish dreams aside to help Tulsa be a better place. I voted for Bill. It was Bill that got the BOK Center built and if he'd run for Mayor again....I'd vote for him because he understands Tulsa and gives a damn about the people who live here.

Dewey has his head up his a$$.
None of what you just said relates, in any way, to my statement regarding Kathy Taylor. The 'ignorant' part of the statement is the fact that she was a woefully inept and unsuccessful female Democratic mayor of Tulsa. If you wanted to use an example of a successful female Democratic mayor of Tulsa then you should have gone with Susan Savage. That was my point.

StoopTroup
5/3/2013, 02:17 PM
None of what you just said relates, in any way, to my statement regarding Kathy Taylor. The 'ignorant' part of the statement is the fact that she was a woefully inept and unsuccessful female Democratic mayor of Tulsa. If you wanted to use an example of a successful female Democratic mayor of Tulsa then you should have gone with Susan Savage. That was my point.

First of all, I used a Republican Mayor over Savage who I think should have continued as Tulsa's Mayor. I had no need to use someone who IMHO comes in 2nd (Savage).

The real ignorance is you missing the point that whether you think she was woefully inept, she is running for Mayor and should she win....whatever you think won't matter and it will become a historical statement of ignorance because Tulsans will then have re-elected her and have gotten rid of a Mayor that has been a huge mistake and has become very unpopular. So much so that even this hugely inept (your words) Ex-Mayor (Taylor) was re-elected so that Dewey will no longer have a hand at mismanaging Tulsa.

olevetonahill
5/3/2013, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=StoopTroup;3605607]i
The real ignorance is you
Boy YOU is right

Tulsa_Fireman
5/4/2013, 11:14 AM

I think this is an awful broad statement, Sic'em. Tell us what made Kathy Taylor a woefully inept and unsuccessful mayor of Tulsa.

Lott's Bandana
5/4/2013, 11:42 AM
My dad and I got kinda lost in Oakland in '97. Pickup with Ok tags! Believe or not a nice gentleman gave us directions. Lots of boarded up businesses and stares from drug dealer sports cars.

Amazingly, Oakland has some of the higher income residential areas in the country.

Lott's Bandana
5/4/2013, 11:43 AM

Amazingly, Oakland has some of the higher income residential areas in the country.

I used to be an Athletics season tix holder. I rode BART to the games from Walnut Creek. Never, ever did I ever feel threatened or nervous...not like I have been in Stillwater.

StoopTroup
5/4/2013, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=StoopTroup;3605607]i
The real ignorance is you
Boy YOU is right

**** you and your little bear boy.

StoopTroup
5/4/2013, 12:19 PM
I think this is an awful broad statement, Sic'em. Tell us what made Kathy Taylor a woefully inept and unsuccessful mayor of Tulsa.

Good luck getting an answer from him. At least one that makes any sense or has anything to do with reality.

picasso
5/8/2013, 05:42 PM
Troup. Taylor bailed on us for bigger things in OKC. I'm very close to a city employee who has worked with her and likes her but she bailed.

picasso
5/8/2013, 05:44 PM

I used to be an Athletics season tix holder. I rode BART to the games from Walnut Creek. Never, ever did I ever feel threatened or nervous...not like I have been in Stillwater.

My Dad's cousin lived in a wonderful home on the hill in Oakland. The neighborhood had slowly gotten worse over 4 decades.

FaninAma
5/9/2013, 02:37 PM

And who's fault is that?