PDA

View Full Version : Rubio-People don't trust Obama on immigration reform.

okie52
5/1/2013, 10:35 AM
Rubio: People Don’t Believe Obama Will Enforce Immigration Law
Wednesday, 01 May 2013 10:10 AM
By Kenneth Hanner

Republican Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida said the biggest impediment to crafting immigration legislation is that people don’t believe President Barack Obama will enforce the law.

“We are dealing with an administration that, quite frankly, has shown a reluctance to enforce the immigration law,” Rubio said. “If you want to know the single impediment to get things done on [immigration reform] is people don’t believe the Obama administration or the federal government will enforce the law.”

In an interview Tuesday with Fox News’ Greta Van Susteren, Rubio said, “We have to ensure that we build into this bill mechanisms that ensure that the law is enforced.”

Rubio, one of the bipartisan “Gang of Eight” senators who crafted a comprehensive immigration package, said Republicans made concessions by agreeing to allow illegal immigrants to remain in the country.

“Just the fact that we are going to allow or create a process for people who violated our immigration laws to stay in the country, that’s a major concession,” Rubio said. “In return, however, what we expect is to modernize our illegal immigration system, to have in place e-verify and entry-exit tracking system, and $5.5 billion of border security.”

Rubio said that the legislation also mandates that people who are here illegally “do not qualify for any federal benefits, including Obamacare.”

“What we have now is de facto amnesty, that’s chaos and terrible for the country,” Rubio said.

On an appearance earlier Tuesday on the Mike Gallagher nationally syndicated radio show, Rubio said that the Senate bill as presently written, couldn’t pass the House, and “will have to be adjusted, because people are very suspicious about the willingness of the government to enforce the laws now.”

“That is a very legitimate suspicion, it’s one that I share, and if there’s anything we can do to make [the bill] even tighter … that’s what we should be working on,” Rubio said.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/rub...#ixzz2S3UbccPb

I'm sure Obama will enforce it just like he has in the past....

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 10:38 AM
I don't trust Rubio as far as I can throw him. Never have.

okie52
5/1/2013, 10:48 AM
ICE union border patrol officers say enforcement under the new bill would be just about as bad as it is now.

okie52
5/1/2013, 10:54 AM
I don't trust Rubio as far as I can throw him. Never have.

Rand Paul is supporting immigration reform.

okie52
5/1/2013, 11:06 AM
Limbaugh is among those who don't buy it.

"I see polling data again that suggests that 70 percent of the Hispanic population in the country believes that government is the primary source of prosperity," he told Rubio in their recent exchange. "I don't, therefore, understand this contention that Hispanics are conservatives-in-waiting."

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2013/04/27/critics-believe-immigration-reform-is-bad-deal-for-gop/#ixzz2S3d3HIEG.

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 11:07 AM
Rand Paul is supporting immigration reform.
I know but immigration reform isn't the sole reason I don't trust him.

okie52
5/1/2013, 11:12 AM
I know but immigration reform isn't the sole reason I don't trust him.

I think they are both supporting the wrong side on immigration. It makes me question Rand who is walking a different path than his dad.

okie52
5/1/2013, 11:15 AM
To wit, 62 percent of blacks and 59 percent of Hispanics say that we should make every possible effort to improve the position of blacks and other minorities, even if it means giving them preferential treatment. Not surprisingly, only 22 percent of whites agreed with this idea. Only 12 percent of Republicans — almost all of whom are white — agreed. This percentage has been decreasing since 2007, while the percentage of white Democrats who agree has been increasing.

http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/not-afraid-to-talk-about-race/

I really don't see conservative votes coming out of this.

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 11:17 AM
I think they are both supporting the wrong side on immigration. It makes me question Rand who is walking a different path than his dad.

His dad supports it as well. It's a standard libertarian position, and it's one that I vehemently disagree with. I'm opposed to all immigration legal or otherwise, and I support putting an end to student visas.

Another major area of disagreement between libertarians and myself is with free-trade which I am also very much opposed to. It's probably more fair to say I'm opposed to free-trade agreements rather than free-trade in and of itself.

There are other issues as well which is why I don't consider myself a libertarian -- I'm a paleoconservative.

SoonerorLater
5/1/2013, 11:25 AM
Stop Immigration Now - all immigration

okie52
5/1/2013, 12:10 PM
His dad supports it as well. It's a standard libertarian position, and it's one that I vehemently disagree with. I'm opposed to all immigration legal or otherwise, and I support putting an end to student visas.

Another major area of disagreement between libertarians and myself is with free-trade which I am also very much opposed to. It's probably more fair to say I'm opposed to free-trade agreements rather than free-trade in and of itself.

There are other issues as well which is why I don't consider myself a libertarian -- I'm a paleoconservative.

Has Ron changed? Last year he was very much against amnesty.

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 12:16 PM
Has Ron changed? Last year he was very much against amnesty.

His dad supports immigration reform not amnesty. I never understood exactly how he intended to reconcile what he wanted to do with immigration without eventually granting amnesty to a good portion of illegals. :shrug:

Rand holds essentially the same position but supports amnesty as a necessary condition of immigration reform.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/1/2013, 12:44 PM
Rand Paul is supporting immigration reform.hah. Sad, ain't it?

sappstuf
5/1/2013, 01:17 PM
ICE union border patrol officers say enforcement under the new bill would be just about as bad as it is now.

Aren't ICE officials suing the Obama administration for NOT allowing them to do their jobs?

SanJoaquinSooner
5/1/2013, 01:56 PM
I don't trust the gov't on this issue. Let businesses decide.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/1/2013, 01:57 PM
Stop Immigration Now - all immigration

No.

SicEmBaylor
5/1/2013, 01:59 PM
No.
Yes, importing millions of third world immigrants so they can make our country as ****ty as the ****hole third-world they came from is a cracker-jack idea.

okie52
5/1/2013, 02:12 PM
hah. Sad, ain't it?

Yes, it is.

okie52
5/1/2013, 02:13 PM
I don't trust the gov't on this issue. Let businesses decide.

Absolutely not. They are a primary reason 11,000,000 illegal invaders are here now.

TAFBSooner
5/1/2013, 02:15 PM
. . . I'm opposed to all immigration legal ??
or otherwise, and I support putting an end to student visas.

Please explain why.

And does this include immigration from your ancestors' country(ies) of origin?

okie52
5/1/2013, 02:15 PM
Aren't ICE officials suing the Obama administration for NOT allowing them to do their jobs?

That's my understanding...along with complaining loudly to Obama and the "gang of eight" that they were given a place at the table when immigration reform was discussed.

sappstuf
5/1/2013, 02:20 PM
Rubio should have just said: "People don't trust Obama"....