Salt City Sooner
4/29/2013, 09:46 PM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/apr/29/gormans-nate-starks/

boomersooner28
4/30/2013, 07:04 AM
Way to go Nate! :nonchalance:

Ruf/Nek7
4/30/2013, 08:33 AM
I wonder what this will do to his recruiting? Will OU still be after him with this incident or will they turn their focus to Mixon, Mckenzie, or Shorter?

cleller
4/30/2013, 08:41 AM
Hadn't even heard of the kid before seeing this post. Looked at some of his pics, etc, and the kid really LOOKED like a great player. Looked pretty level headed, too, though.

Its got to be a bad omen, but maybe he was kicked out for something like bringing a pop-tart shaped like a gun into the school.

Oh wait, this is not a public school.

Soonerjeepman
4/30/2013, 09:20 AM
grades? drinking? sex? being a private Catholic school I can't imagine any of those...lol (yes I'm Catholic). Hopefully not a screwdriver to the throat of his GF. It will be interesting to see what happens. OU might play it like he got injured his Sr yr. We have a kid on roster now that hadn't played..right?

MojoRisen
4/30/2013, 09:37 AM
It is too bad that NV has that rule that you can't transfer and play in the same year. Depending on what he did, and I am sure the OU coaches will find out - Id still like to have him. Those Jesuit catholic schools are pretty strict on grades, cheating and moral issues.

Curly Bill
4/30/2013, 10:29 AM
It is too bad that NV has that rule that you can't transfer and play in the same year. Depending on what he did, and I am sure the OU coaches will find out - Id still like to have him. Those Jesuit catholic schools are pretty strict on grades, cheating and moral issues.

Many states have a similiar rule and it's a good one. It keeps kids from getting miffed at their coach and simply bailing to another school. Also helps to prevent, though certainy not eliminate, high schools recruiting kids from other schools.

Herr Scholz
4/30/2013, 10:43 AM
Read a rumor that it was for dealing drugs at school.

Ruf/Nek7
4/30/2013, 10:47 AM
Read a rumor that it was for dealing drugs at school.

If true, pass on this kid. I don't care if he goes to okie lite and runs against us. We don't need that kind of character in the locker room.

8timechamps
4/30/2013, 07:10 PM
Right now, there is no confirmed information about the expulsion. Gorman being a private school, it could be something minor (I hope). If it's a minor issue, I don't think it will affect the recruiting process at all. If it's a major issue (drugs, violence, etc.), then he's lost offers from everyone.

I'll wait to see what really happened, but I honestly hope it wasn't anything major. This is the one kid I wanted the most in this class.

I'll update with any information I receive.

Soonerjeepman
4/30/2013, 08:08 PM
Kansas has a similar rule, 18 SCHOOL weeks though, not the year. So even if he transferred NOW he wouldn't be eligible for til Dec, fball season over.

OU_Sooners75
4/30/2013, 09:42 PM
Kansas has a similar rule, 18 SCHOOL weeks though, not the year. So even if he transferred NOW he wouldn't be eligible for til Dec, fball season over.

Oklahoma is similar, but they allow for one school transfer before stripping a kid of eligibility.

There is a kid that is a phenomenal wrestler that was born and raised in my home town. He has been in and out of foster care and children's homes. We moved away in the He moved away to start his 9th grade year at a different school. He has since transferred back to our school. We will not be able to use him next year. But if he stays here the rest of his high school days, he will be eligible his Junior year.

The kid, as long as he keeps his head on straight and isnt moved around by the state DHS, will be a state champion wrestler.

I think it is an absurd rule for some kids. But I do understand the rule. I honestly feel that if the kid is growing up within the "system" and he has no control over where he/she lives, the OSSAA should make exceptions. But as I have heard, they dont.

OU_Sooners75
4/30/2013, 09:44 PM
And FTR, Samaje Perine, IMO will be the better back.

cherokeebrewer
5/1/2013, 09:35 AM
I'm pretty sure OU & ND pulled Starks' offer...

Herr Scholz
5/1/2013, 04:35 PM
I'm pretty sure OU & ND pulled Starks' offer...
Where did you read that? Just curious.

8timechamps
5/1/2013, 06:32 PM
So far, OU pulling Starks offer is only a rumor. NO official word from any of the participants (including Starks). Gorman's high school coach has agreed to speak with some members of the media in the next couple of day, but I'm not sure any details will come out.

Strange situation for sure.

Soonerjeepman
5/2/2013, 03:20 PM
Oklahoma is similar, but they allow for one school transfer before stripping a kid of eligibility.

There is a kid that is a phenomenal wrestler that was born and raised in my home town. He has been in and out of foster care and children's homes. We moved away in the He moved away to start his 9th grade year at a different school. He has since transferred back to our school. We will not be able to use him next year. But if he stays here the rest of his high school days, he will be eligible his Junior year.

The kid, as long as he keeps his head on straight and isnt moved around by the state DHS, will be a state champion wrestler.

I think it is an absurd rule for some kids. But I do understand the rule. I honestly feel that if the kid is growing up within the "system" and he has no control over where he/she lives, the OSSAA should make exceptions. But as I have heard, they dont.

not for sure about Ks if they have the 1 transfer rule...don't think so. I agree each circumstance is different, but the general rule should be as is. HS recruiting is bad enough as it is. I'd like to see it apply to private schools as well, since they participate in state playoffs as well. Yes, I went to a private school as well.

Soonerfan88
5/2/2013, 10:28 PM
Haven't heard the drug pusher rumor but did hear he supposedly stole another student's ipad.

ND pulled his offer on the same day Elijah Hood committed I believe. I think OU is still thinking it over.

8timechamps
5/3/2013, 08:50 PM
As of today, OU has NOT pulled the offer. We'll see if that holds up in the coming weeks though. I'm not sure the full story is even out yet (to the schools recruiting him). ND said they were done at the position after getting the Hood commitment.

Ruf/Nek7
5/7/2013, 11:49 AM
Big if, but IF OU lands Mixon, my guess is that Starks will become a thing of the past.