PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Radio *************s

SicEmBaylor
4/29/2013, 04:04 PM
Can someone tell me a few quick things I need to know about handheld radios that operate at this frequency: 136-174/400-480Mhz.

Specifically, I'm looking at the Baofeng UV-5RC and the Puxing-888. Does anyone know enough about either to give me a good comparison?

Also, from what I understand, with this kind of radio there are bands it is capable of broadcasting on that are illegal. What are the do's/dont's....basically some info for a major n00b.

Midtowner
4/29/2013, 04:14 PM
Can someone tell me a few quick things I need to know about handheld radios that operate at this frequency: 136-174/400-480Mhz.

Specifically, I'm looking at the Baofeng UV-5RC and the Puxing-888. Does anyone know enough about either to give me a good comparison?

Also, from what I understand, with this kind of radio there are bands it is capable of broadcasting on that are illegal. What are the do's/dont's....basically some info for a major n00b.

I worked at a store which sold (among other things) amateur radio equipment in a past life (but am not a HAM myself). There used to be a book published by Radio Shack which listed who all of the frequencies in your area were licensed to. That's probably all available online nowadays. As for broadcasting on those bands, if it's not FRS (Family Radio Service) or CB band, which are open to anyone, you are probably going to need some sort of license to broadcast on those frequencies, some of which you can earn as you progress in Amateur Operator license levels and some of which you have to have a specific purpose and be licensed to use for that purpose (like police radio).

Hope that helps.

SicEmBaylor
4/29/2013, 04:29 PM
I worked at a store which sold (among other things) amateur radio equipment in a past life (but am not a HAM myself). There used to be a book published by Radio Shack which listed who all of the frequencies in your area were licensed to. That's probably all available online nowadays. As for broadcasting on those bands, if it's not FRS (Family Radio Service) or CB band, which are open to anyone, you are probably going to need some sort of license to broadcast on those frequencies, some of which you can earn as you progress in Amateur Operator license levels and some of which you have to have a specific purpose and be licensed to use for that purpose (like police radio).

Hope that helps.

Somewhat. My purpose isn't to get into ham radio, I'm just needing it as a standard walkie talkie with other people. I don't need to worry about the bands because other people are determining that and it will be within the law; however, I'm reasonably sure they aren't FRS channels.

Looking up those frequencies would be helpful though. I'm watching a YouTube video with a guy demonstrating all of the options on this thing and my mind is blown. It's like listening to radio instructions....err wait a minute.

Midtowner
4/29/2013, 04:43 PM
You can listen on it fine, but I'd advise you to look into getting the appropriate license if you want to transmit or face possible FCC action.

I googled the lower frequencies and you're talking about military and civilian aircraft frequencies, FEMA channels, business channels (like TV and radio remotes).

US244 The band 136–137 MHz is allocated to the non-Federal aeronautical mobile (R) service on a primary basis, and is subject to pertinent international treaties and agreements. The frequencies 136, 136.025, 136.05, 136.075, 136.1, 136.125, 136.15, 136.175, 136.2, 136.225, 136.25, 136.275, 136.3, 136.325, 136.35, 136.375, 136.4, 136.425, 136.45, and 136.475 MHz are available on a shared basis to the Federal Aviation Administration for air traffic control purposes, such as automatic weather observation stations (AWOS), automatic terminal information services (ATIS), flight information services-broadcast (FIS-B), and airport control tower communications.

There's just a clip of what I found. I don't suppose you'd want to accidentally broadcast on an air traffic control frequency. That'd probably end poorly for you. In short, these are probably pretty fun toys, but I would definitely not want to transmit unless you know for damn sure you're legally allowed to.

SicEmBaylor
4/29/2013, 09:14 PM
Let me put this another way...

The frequency will not be determined by me, and I can guarantee you that whatever frequency it is will be legal due to the nature of the event and the people determining the frequency. So, keeping that in mind...

I need to know how to program the damned thing in general terms. For example, is it just a matter of tuning to the proper frequency? I've heard with these radios that there is a broadcast channel and a receiving channel. How do you determine the correct receiving channel for the right broadcast channel? What is a squawk setting? Etc, etc.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people to help me set it up correctly, but I'd like to have a good understanding of at least the basics to make things easier on-site.

A good online guide would be helpful, but I've had trouble finding anything decent.

KABOOKIE
4/30/2013, 09:35 AM
Just get a cheap walkie talkie from Wal-Mart and learn the Navajo code. That way you'll save money and the Blue Team won't steal your flag by listening in on your transmissions to base HQ during Paintballapalooza 2013

SicEmBaylor
4/30/2013, 10:01 AM
Just get a cheap walkie talkie from Wal-Mart and learn the Navajo code. That way you'll save money and the Blue Team won't steal your flag by listening in on your transmissions to base HQ during Paintballapalooza 2013

Wrong bands. Too many people to use FRS so it has to be UHF/VHF.

Soonerjeepman
4/30/2013, 10:04 AM
you starting a 3rd party?

SicEmBaylor
4/30/2013, 12:17 PM
you starting a 3rd party?
It wouldn't be much of one. The primary plank of the platform would likely be secession so, like I said, not much of one.

StoopTroup
4/30/2013, 04:02 PM
If you're wanting to succeed, just turn in your Drivers License and Social Security Number. Pay someone to issue a certificate of death in whatever country you end up in and after a few years, nobody here will even miss you. :D